Medicine Bottles and Prescriptions

As Havingfun2010 said, there is a big difference between what the rules say and "I've never had an issue so it is ok."

More than likely, you will have no issue with the ship. But, you could possibly have issues with TSA and/or immigration. Will you? Probably not.... until you get inspected. If flying into Mexico in my experience, you push the button to see if you are subject to further screening. I've never had further screening, but that doesn't mean I may not get further screening.

I would recommend at least bringing the pill bottles and/or prescriptions. Can always put them in the organizer on arrival.

TSA says

TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2014/09/05/tsa-travel-tips-traveling-medication

I understand this society has become the land of "I am offended". And everyone gets hurt by works.

But my statement was not meant to be offensive, and not directed at people on this site rather than everyone in general.

As someone that works with direct patient care in a hospital, I can say people are way to medicated.

Many don't even know what they are taken & why.

A lot of issues can resolve if people just took better care of themselves....

Doctor or Nurse? Your professional opinion? :confused:

As Havingfun2010 said, there is a big difference between what the rules say and "I've never had an issue so it is ok."

Thank you! So easy for people to say it never happened to them so it won't ever happen to anyone. Very dangerous and sloppy thinking, in my opinion. All you need is an over-zealous TSA agent and you have problems. I recall the story of someone here who posted about this very thing; her elderly Mom had her pills loose and in one zipper baggie and the TSA agent dumped them all out onto the dirty counter and proceeded to check them all. I believe her when she said this happened. If anyone is OK with that, then that is their choice.

I keep my medications in their original containers and put them in my pill organizer on board ship - takes less than 5 minutes. :)

Oh my goodness!!!! You went from bad to worse. Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.....:eek:

Aww, he thrives on being controversial and provocative on this board. Easily put on your "Ignore List" if so desired. :)

This comes up every 3-4 months.

Most of this is ludicrous government bureaucracy. Not disagreeing with anyone who says TSA or foreign government TSA can't question what you are carrying.

All of my prescriptions are electronic, I can conjure up any prescription number I want.

Doctors notes are available online for anything.

How do they know what's in that bottle is supposed to be there? Not all medications are in the pill books.

Vitamins or other supplements can look like medications.

Don't know what the answer is, but I don't carry pill bottles. Just my daily/weekly dispensers.

My wife buys the small pill bags that you can get at the pharmacy and peels the Rx sticker off the bottle and places it on the bag and puts the amount of pills she needs for the trip in each bag. So if there are any questions, all the details are there. She then takes a weekly organizer to use while traveling.

About 10 years ago, an overzealous TSA agent dumped my mothers pill organizer out on the dirty counter. He said he was checking for narcotics (was he an expert in pill identification, which ironically, as a pharmacist, I am!). Whether he was right or wrong, we always carry pills in their original vials just to avoid this kind of stress. As for my mom, she was able to get her prescriptions refilled at CVS when we got to the embarkation port, so she had a "clean" set to take. She was even able to get a vacation override for her insurance, so she only had to pay for her copay.
Wow! That's terrible.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

We will be taking a 15 day trip in October. My hubbie and I are "discussing" how to pack his multiple medications for this trip. I would load his pill organizer twice but he is under the impression we need to take all of the bottles and etc?

Could we print copies of his prescriptions from CVS instead of carrying all of his medications?

I have read different accounts as what to do...BTW we are traveling in and out of Barcelona.

Thanks for settling this...

I do not take medication but I do take 10 different vitamins .I take 4-5 pill organizers and have yet to have a problem.

Can I travel with medications and medical devices, such as needles or oxygen tanks?

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S.

https://customs.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1160/~/traveling-with-medication

I used to travel with the bottles then went to the med organizers and pictures of the bottles and mfg description

I think I will ask my Dr / pharmacy for smaller "travel" bottles

Can I travel with medications and medical devices, such as needles or oxygen tanks?

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S.

https://customs.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1160/~/traveling-with-medication

I used to travel with the bottles then went to the med organizers and pictures of the bottles and mfg description

I think I will ask my Dr / pharmacy for smaller "travel" bottles

More government bureaucracy. The TSA says one thing when you leave the country. CBP says another when you come back.

Plus, under Obamacare, 99% of prescriptions are supposed to be electronic. (no paper) My insurance company requires me to use 90-day mail order.

Look into the new Pill Pack thing -- CVS offers it, but not at all its drugstores. Some small private drugstores offer it too.

What it is: The pharmacist places ALL your pills for this-or-that time of day into a small plastic bag ... it includes vitamins ... it includes/excludes things you may take seasonally. You get one month's worth of medicines /vitamins on a "roll" of plastic bags. Each bag is labeled by the day and time -- "Monday, September 1 A.M.", etc. So if you miss a dosage, you know it. If you're traveling, your prescription /pharmacy is printed on each and every bag.

Cost: Nothing, though my mom did say it was some trouble to do the first month. That is, they had to get all her prescriptions to start at the same time of the month. And you can't stock up when vitamins are BOGOF and use this program.

This comes up every 3-4 months.

Most of this is ludicrous government bureaucracy. Not disagreeing with anyone who says TSA or foreign government TSA can't question what you are carrying.

All of my prescriptions are electronic, I can conjure up any prescription number I want.

Doctors notes are available online for anything.

How do they know what's in that bottle is supposed to be there? Not all medications are in the pill books.

Vitamins or other supplements can look like medications.

Don't know what the answer is, but I don't carry pill bottles. Just my daily/weekly dispensers.

Same with me, the only time I carry pill bottles is when I’m boarding in Islamic country’s such as UAE (Dubai)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same with me, the only time I carry pill bottles is when I’m boarding in Islamic country’s such as UAE (Dubai)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting you should mention UAE. We are cruising to Dubai from Rome. I'm wondering what I might encounter with their version of TSA in flying back to the US.

Interesting you should mention UAE. We are cruising to Dubai from Rome. I'm wondering what I might encounter with their version of TSA in flying back to the US.
I have been to and from Dubai without any problems. However they have very strict regulations on what medications are allowed. Make sure you check the UAE website.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Forums mobile app

I have been to and from Dubai without any problems. However, they have very strict regulations on what medications are allowed. Make sure you check the UAE website.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Forums mobile app

You can't have more than a 90-day supply of drugs like Xanax. Plus there are certain types of Excedrin and Tylenol on the absolutely excluded list.

Scary! Check your meds.

Unless you are taking along narcotic or seriously controlled items, just use the pill organizers.

I travel a lot internationally for work and always carry my meds this way and never had an issue.

For narcotics or seriously controlled, take in the CURRENT prescription bottle, and I would carry a letter from my doctor stating my need for these drugs. And only carry enough for the trip, plus a reasonable extra for unforeseen issues. For 15 day trip, I would take maybe 22 - 25 doses.

You have never had a problem because you haven't run into that one cop that want's to make a point of you. Pretty much everywhere requires by law that prescriptions are in the right bottles with your name on them. It only takes one cop to give you a real bad day

We always pack pill bottles with a copy of the current prescription and original boxes for any international travel. 99% of the time you wont be checked by anyone, but there is always a chance you could be and hanging out with a customs official at the airport just isn't my idea of a good time.

I also try to look up any medication that is not allowed. Like the Sudafed RX my husband normally takes before flying isn't allowed in Japan so we wont bring it. But if I somehow miss something on the banned list and bring it I don't want it to look like I was trying to hide it.

You have never had a problem because you haven't run into that one cop that want's to make a point of you. Pretty much everywhere requires by law that prescriptions are in the right bottles with your name on them. It only takes one cop to give you a real bad day

Not true. Some states require some drugs. Besides we are talking about travel here, not driving around town.

If you have some numbers show your sources. We are all willing to change our mind.

I carry everything in cases. I've never been even asked about them on a plane or cruise. I take 13 different kinds of pills, 30 pills a day so carrying the bottles would mean another suitcase. I keep my list with the meds (Excel spreadsheet) and tag the package and my CPAP with "Medical Equipment". That way, the CPAP doesn't get counted as my carryon.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh my goodness!!!! You went from bad to worse. Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Wow....

:eek: :mad: :eek:

...not to mention terrible grammar and spelling. Hopefully, he does not write up reports or, Lord forbid, prescriptions for any of the patients receiving his direct care! :rolleyes: