Medicine Bottles and Prescriptions

We will be taking a 15 day trip in October. My hubbie and I are "discussing" how to pack his multiple medications for this trip. I would load his pill organizer twice but he is under the impression we need to take all of the bottles and etc?

Could we print copies of his prescriptions from CVS instead of carrying all of his medications?

I have read different accounts as what to do...BTW we are traveling in and out of Barcelona.

Thanks for settling this...

We will be taking a 15 day trip in October. My hubbie and I are "discussing" how to pack his multiple medications for this trip. I would load his pill organizer twice but he is under the impression we need to take all of the bottles and etc?

Could we print copies of his prescriptions from CVS instead of carrying all of his medications?

I have read different accounts as what to do...BTW we are traveling in and out of Barcelona.

The ship does not care about prescription bottles.

We will be taking a 15 day trip in October.

My DF takes his prescription with him. He take his meds in a loaded pill dispenser, for the first week of the cruise. For the second week of the cruise he takes the original bottles with enough meds in to cover the rest of the cruise plus 2 days spare.

I take my DS prescription with us and all his meds in their original bottles, as they are all liquid meds.

In 7 years of sailing from Southampton I have only been asked once about my DS meds,probably because they are liquids, and my DF has never been asked about his meds.

Hi,

No one will be bothered about your husbands medication in whatever way you store them. Take your repeat prescription just in case you loose the meds or need more and make sure you carry them with you on planes and onto the ship.

My meds have never been queried but I still like to take the original packaging. All of my meds come in boxes not bottles so that is easy in my case.

The purpose of taking the original packaging is to make it easy for anyone at security who might be curious to identify the meds. Plus the labels confirm that they are for me. Nobody has required this but I do it anyway to avoid possible problems.

About 10 years ago, an overzealous TSA agent dumped my mothers pill organizer out on the dirty counter. He said he was checking for narcotics (was he an expert in pill identification, which ironically, as a pharmacist, I am!). Whether he was right or wrong, we always carry pills in their original vials just to avoid this kind of stress. As for my mom, she was able to get her prescriptions refilled at CVS when we got to the embarkation port, so she had a "clean" set to take. She was even able to get a vacation override for her insurance, so she only had to pay for her copay.

Hi RealBlonde :)

I take a small pharmacy of medications for Multiple Sclerosis. I never had any serious issues over the years with airport TSA or security screenings at a cruise terminal.

However, in regards to (narcotics & injectables), I always bring them in their original packaging & also bring pharmacy script print-outs just in case, as a back up.

But script printouts from ones pharmacy is more than enough. Even for narcotics.

It's just that I personally don't like to take any risks in regards to narcotics & injectables when it comes to traveling, and especially when traveling outside of the country.

My injectables & narcotics have been inspected in the past, but was not an issue at all.

All of my meds that are not narcotics go into my weekly pill organizer, along with pharmacy script print-outs as well, in case I need to refill.

Also, be certain to always place your meds in your carry-on.

Have a wonderful voyage!

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan

I have never been questioned on my wife's drugs in 50 trips.....than today it happened.

So really, I never had an issue, however, we always carry it in the bottles. Why you ask? Because according to rules of international travel, you always should have it. See the first sentence, I was fine in 50 trips, but it happened. You don't know what will happen.

This question is always asked, and the answers always say, it never happened to me, so it's ok. What is the issue with the medicine bottle? We carry it in a zip lock bag, and place it in our back pack. It's been questioned once, but not examined. (What is in the bag? Prescriptions. OK).

It's not like the bottles are heavy. They don't take up much room. You need to carry them on. Yes we use pill boxes, but still, the bottles come. The medicine is a way of life for us. I'm not going to jeopardize a great trip, because some foreign security check point, wants to take the drugs.

Thanks y'all for all the great and fast responses. My hubbie doesn't use any narcotics or injectables. He takes Lipitor and a pre diabetic med and things of that nature. He loves the idea of the printed CVS prescriptions and two of our weekly organizers. More room for camera equipment and shoes. :)

Sent from my VS995 using Forums mobile app

Never an issue ( for us) to take a pill dispenser and NOT original bottles. PLEASE take extra, as last year this time, we had a THREE DAY DELAY returning to port. I also have a photo of each Rx on my phone that shows the pill name and dosage. We flew into Dubai a few years ago, and again just had pill dispensers. It was not a problem for us but I have since read that for that airport, the pills should have been in original bottles.

M

As Havingfun2010 said, there is a big difference between what the rules say and "I've never had an issue so it is ok."

More than likely, you will have no issue with the ship. But, you could possibly have issues with TSA and/or immigration. Will you? Probably not.... until you get inspected. If flying into Mexico in my experience, you push the button to see if you are subject to further screening. I've never had further screening, but that doesn't mean I may not get further screening.

I would recommend at least bringing the pill bottles and/or prescriptions. Can always put them in the organizer on arrival.

I have only been questioned once concerning the prescriptions I take aboard in a packed pill case. All I did was show a printed copy of my meds along with the prescription numbers of each medication to the security officer. After looking at my list... the security officer said thank you and I was on my way. This was the only time in about twenty cruises that this has ever happened. The vast majority of time the pill dispenser with its contents are not even questioned.

Unless you are taking along narcotic or seriously controlled items, just use the pill organizers.

I travel a lot internationally for work and always carry my meds this way and never had an issue.

For narcotics or seriously controlled, take in the CURRENT prescription bottle, and I would carry a letter from my doctor stating my need for these drugs. And only carry enough for the trip, plus a reasonable extra for unforeseen issues. For 15 day trip, I would take maybe 22 - 25 doses.

Wow!!!! That takes a lot of nerve & especially ignorance, to write something so offensive like that.

Sheesh!

I understand this society has become the land of "I am offended". And everyone gets hurt by works.

But my statement was not meant to be offensive, and not directed at people on this site rather than everyone in general.

As someone that works with direct patient care in a hospital, I can say people are way to medicated.

Many don't even know what they are taken & why.

A lot of issues can resolve if people just took better care of themselves....

I understand this society has become the land of "I am offended". And everyone gets hurt by works.

But my statement was not meant to be offensive, and not directed at people on this site rather than everyone in general.

As someone that works with direct patient care in a hospital, I can say people are way to medicated.

I’m not sure I could have prevented the breast cancer I got at 40, but at least that’s only 1 of my 8 pills a day I have to take. The others are for an auto-immune disease, I mean maybe I could just get my colon removed instead but I think they still give you pills to take. I hope you show more compassion to the people you are being paid to care for.

• Like 1

Sounds like too many people take too many medications....

Oh my goodness!!!! You went from bad to worse. Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Wow....

:eek: :mad: :eek:

• Like 1