Magic Acts?

Yosef42

I haven't been on a lot of Princess cruises, but I don't recall ever seeing a magic act on one. Have I just missed out, or is that not something Princess books?

I've been watching the new season of "Penn & Teller: Fool Us," and have recently been reminded how much I enjoy a good disappearing act.

Yes, they definitely book magicians sometimes. We've seen plenty of magician/jugglers. Hawley Magic (a couple that was a finalist on some TV show) were great. And, if you're on a ship that has the show "Magic to Do", there's magic intertwined in the show.

I got pulled from the audience (no, I was not up front) and dragged onstage with a magician. It was right after a guy had knocked my Bloody Mary down the leg of my white pants. Not great timing.

Out of 24 Princess cruises I've sailed, I'd say there were magicians - often pretty good - on maybe 4 or 5. And in a similar vein, a hypnotist was featured on 4 cruises. My husband and I have each been hypnotized onstage a few times - great fun!

Have seen several magicians onboard, including Jeff Peterson and his dog. Could often see him and the dog walking around the ship for photos and pets (the dog, not him.)

Put a show on in a smaller venue, people will complain they couldn't get in. Put it in a larger venue, people will complain they can't see.

JP.png.3ab59e664a79262a888bc25693a93a35.png

The last "magician" we saw used balloons and such and was truly terrible. I love good magic but one simply isn't going to see the quality of magic I like on a Princess ship. Good magic is amazing. Poor magic is disappointing at best.

The last "magician" we saw used balloons and such and was truly terrible. I love good magic but one simply isn't going to see the quality of magic I like on a Princess ship. Good magic is amazing. Poor magic is disappointing at best.

Good point. A mediocre magician is probably worse than a mediocre singer, dancer, comic, etc. You're just left wishing the thing had never disappeared in the first place.

Good point. A mediocre magician is probably worse than a mediocre singer, dancer, comic, etc. You're just left wishing the thing had never disappeared in the first place.

A mediocre juggler would be worse. Jimmy can juggle one knife at a time. Wait until later when he hula-hoops, one hoop.

I haven't been on a lot of Princess cruises, but I don't recall ever seeing a magic act on one. Have I just missed out, or is that not something Princess books?

I've been watching the new season of "Penn & Teller: Fool Us," and have recently been reminded how much I enjoy a good disappearing act.

All you have to do is come on a cruise with me and my wife she can make my money disappear..:D:D

Tony

We recently saw Brett Sherwood. He was very very good, the best we have seen. We were constantly shaking our heads trying to work out how he could do the magic tricks that he did. Unfortunately, in future we will probably compare other magicians with his show and the others will not come out favourably.

The "lounge acts" sign on to any cruise line for a set time period changing ships every so often at the whim of the Cruise Directors. The "act" lives out of a suitcase or two and the equipment has to fit into a few cases. Since anything other than close up magic takes a lot of props that just take up to much space.