Grand moving to LA?

HaveDogWillTravel

On April 20, 2020 the Grand makes a RT to HA out of SF disembarking on May 5. Then on May 6 she’s in LA with 3 RT voyages out of LA. That’s as far out as the schedule goes.

Does anyone know if this is a permanent move? If so will we get a ship home ported in SF?

I hope so, we're burned out on the Grand, looking to move down to LA for a fresh new ship - the Royal. We've cruised on the Royal out of FLL. We liked the Royal and we're looking forward to booking cruises on her. Hopefully a new ship into San Francisco that we haven't cruised on.

The Grand is my least-favorite Princess ship for several reasons, not least of which is the smaller cabins and tiny (in comparison) closet and wardrobe.

Thrilled that the Royal is coming to the West Coast. Have two cruises booked on her. Love this ship.

The Grand is my least-favorite Princess ship for several reasons, not least of which is the smaller cabins and tiny (in comparison) closet and wardrobe.

Thrilled that the Royal is coming to the West Coast. Have two cruises booked on her. Love this ship.

At least you know the food will be great on the Royal, as it has been since the ship was put in service.

At least you know the food will be great on the Royal, as it has been since the ship was put in service.
Yup. I’ve taken several cruises on the Royal and have wound up eating in the buffet for dinner most of the time as the food was so good there.

Yup. I’ve taken several cruises on the Royal and have wound up eating in the buffet for dinner most of the time as the food was so good there.

I feel the same way and with other Grand-class ships going to P&O Australia surprised that the Grand hasn’t been transferred there. I understand that some passengers prefer the Grand but that’s not me.

When sailing on the gigantic Grand in 2000, I was concerned about being on a ship with nearly 4 times the capacity of my previous cruises. My concerns were unfounded & offered more options without feeling more crowded. I had the same experience when sailing on Royal-class ships...many more pros than cons for me. Things such as a multi course Alfredo’s menu, a much better buffet with free coffee made from ground coffee, Winemakers Dinner, Ocean Terrace Seafood & Gelato’s which are not available on the Grand.

I have to agree with Pam. Much prefer the Royal over the Grand! I also have a B2B booked on her next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm booking today a back-to-back on the Royal! Love the ship! I like the seats in the shower, I don't have to put my leg on the toilet to shave my legs like other ships I've cruised on.:hearteyes:

We love the Grand, we are 40 minutes from the port, only do cruises out of San Francisco as my husband does not fly. We have two upcoming cruises booked on the Grand, one coastal cruise in Oct. [Astoria, Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria] and one next Feb. to Mexico, a 10 day to Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo. Both are round trip out of San Francisco. For those concerned about ports in Mexico, this will be our 4th cruise with this itinerary and we have never had a problem at any stop. We really enjoy Manzanillo for shopping, it's a relatively new destination for cruise ships and the people are very friendly, prices still very reasonable. You can walk to shopping if you don't want to do a tour, my husband loves to stop at Dairy Queen for a big chocolate dipped ice cream cone, about $2 american, they take US money in the shops in port.

I hope if the Grand is replaced, another similar size ship will replace it. I'm wondering about a larger ship replacing the Grand, will it require tendering in some of the ports I've mentioned? I don't like tenders!

Also, we really enjoy the 10 day Alaska cruises on the Grand!

The coastal cruise next month will be our first time in Astoria, Seattle and Vancouver, if anyone has suggestions on what to do or see, we would welcome suggestions.

I know that Grand being in San Pedro on May 30, 2020 is a lead in to all sorts of speculation about her future, and of the entire west coast deployment in consequence. But the relevant question to me is: when was the last time Princess had a ship in LA at the end of May? Has to be a very long time. Have there ever been mid-summer cruises out of Los Angeles at all, beyond possibly the company's formative years in the 60s and 70s when LA was its only turnaround port? I guess I am just very dubious that the Princess demographic would have any demand for Alaska or Coastal cruises (forget about Hawaii off season) based out of Southern California in the hottest part of the summer. Princess tried and abandoned short booze cruises to Mexico a few years ago--what else is there a market for in June, July and August from LA?

I know that Grand being in San Pedro on May 30, 2020 is a lead in to all sorts of speculation about her future, and of the entire west coast deployment in consequence. But the relevant question to me is: when was the last time Princess had a ship in LA at the end of May? Has to be a very long time. Have there ever been mid-summer cruises out of Los Angeles at all, beyond possibly the company's formative years in the 60s and 70s when LA was its only turnaround port? I guess I am just very dubious that the Princess demographic would have any demand for Alaska or Coastal cruises (forget about Hawaii off season) based out of Southern California in the hottest part of the summer. Princess tried and abandoned short booze

cruises to Mexico a few years ago--what else is there a market for in June, July and August from LA?

Agreed. It would be nice to see some spring/summer cruises out of LA.

I know that Grand being in San Pedro on May 30, 2020 is a lead in to all sorts of speculation about her future, and of the entire west coast deployment in consequence. But the relevant question to me is: when was the last time Princess had a ship in LA at the end of May? Has to be a very long time. Have there ever been mid-summer cruises out of Los Angeles at all, beyond possibly the company's formative years in the 60s and 70s when LA was its only turnaround port? I guess I am just very dubious that the Princess demographic would have any demand for Alaska or Coastal cruises (forget about Hawaii off season) based out of Southern California in the hottest part of the summer. Princess tried and abandoned short booze cruises to Mexico a few years ago--what else is there a market for in June, July and August from LA?

Those 2 LA-Alaska RT every year seem to be selling well. Maybe they'll do more of those?

Not anxious to do Mexico in the summer but would love a north Coastal. Even something longer and further up the coast and back. But might have trouble getting any porting in Seattle during the summer.

Princess started 12 day Alaska RT from Los Angeles this year, and will do a couple more in 2019, so maybe instead of 10 day RT's from San Francisco, they'll take a shot at a season of 12 day RT's from LA (?)

I'm on the Star this month on one of the 12 day RT Alaska from LA, and personally find the itinerary a nice mix of sea days and ports... A whole season of it is a intriguing thought

Srpilo

What occurred to me after finishing my above thoughts and reading the responses: a very interesting new alternative for Princess would be 10 or 11 day open-jaw cruises between San Pedro and Vancouver via Alaska. With slight differences between the northbound and southbound (say Sitka one way, Icy Strait the other) sufficient for some interest in a 21 day round trip (with segments alternating 10 and 11 days). Could even get in four Alaska ports without the needed service call to Victoria.

But if they replaced the 10 day San Francisco with the above they would lose everyone who (erroneously) thinks booking multi-city air travel is too difficult and expensive. Plus those who only book closed loop USA cruises because they don't have passports.

So would any west coasters bite on this?

What occurred to me after finishing my above thoughts and reading the responses: a very interesting new alternative for Princess would be 10 or 11 day open-jaw cruises between San Pedro and Vancouver via Alaska. With slight differences between the northbound and southbound (say Sitka one way, Icy Strait the other) sufficient for some interest in a 21 day round trip (with segments alternating 10 and 11 days). Could even get in four Alaska ports without the needed service call to Victoria.

But if they replaced the 10 day San Francisco with the above they would lose everyone who (erroneously) thinks booking multi-city air travel is too difficult and expensive. Plus those who only book closed loop USA cruises because they don't have passports.

So would any west coasters bite on this?

I would not. I would do a longer Alaska out of LA, or anything RT out of LA. But we don't fly, so if it doesn't bring us back to LA we won't be going. There are lots of folks who sail out of LA for that very reason. So anything open-jaw out of LA would lose them, too.

Another vote for roundtrippers out of Los Angeles, Not interested, at all, in airlines or airports.

Now, if they wanted to extend the current 12-day AK roundtripper with a couple stops in, say, San Francisco and Astoria, I think that would be fun.

Princess started 12 day Alaska RT from Los Angeles this year, and will do a couple more in 2019, so maybe instead of 10 day RT's from San Francisco, they'll take a shot at a season of 12 day RT's from LA (?)

I'm on the Star this month on one of the 12 day RT Alaska from LA, and personally find the itinerary a nice mix of sea days and ports... A whole season of it is a intriguing thought

Srpilo

Yes Princess (Grand) evacuates the SF market for the summer and does RT"S LA.

Princess has no ship in SF for the summer of 2020.

Princess Grand returns to SF in October for Mexico and HI cruises.