Nieuw Ryndam - third Pinnacle class ship's name?

HUNKY

On 9/3/2018 at 3:32 AM, catl331 said:

I've got mixed feelings about that name. Would love to see Ryndam used again, but don't like the idea of three Nieuw ships at the same time.

I agree with you. 

This "Nieuw" BS has to end, and hopefully after Statendam comes out.  

• Like 2

Sheer speculation on my part, but I am wondering if the 3rd Pinnacle's proposed name of Nieuw Ryndam has been dropped, could it be that there is some consideration of returning Pacific Aria, aka Ryndam, to HAL?  P&O Australia has sold Pacific Eden, aka Statendam.  Perhaps P&O Australia wants to remove Pacific Aria from their fleet as well.  

Not  very creative, is  it,  not  much thought went into name choosxing.

?   Big Yawn

Impossible to create excitement that way .  😄

Edited by sail7seas

On 10/18/2018 at 2:14 PM, frankc98376 said:

Was told by an officer on previous Nieuw Amsterdam in the early 80's that there would never be another ship named Prinsendam. He had served on the original Prinsendam.

Interesting.  Thanks for sharing that with us, Frank.     I admit I was surprised when  t he reuse of that name  was  announced.

• 4 months later...
On 9/2/2018 at 11:27 PM, HUNKY said:

So, Wikipedia lists Nieuw Ryndam as the name of the third Pinnacle class ship.

Rumor or fact?

It's on the internet, it must be true!

Btw, that name is no longer on Wikipedia under the 3rd Pinnacle; it was removed, so a bit of a premature shot by the looks of it

On 9/5/2018 at 3:40 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Interestingly enough, the ship's name most used in HAL's long history has been Rotterdam (makes sense since it is the name of the city where HAL was born back on 08 Feb 1871, albeit under a different name). The current co-flagship Rotterdam is the sixth HAL passenger vessels with that name.

Close behind are Maasdam (named after the village located 14 km from the city of Rotterdam in the province of Zuid-Holland) and Statendam (named after the original seven Dutch provincial states or"provinciale staten") with the most recent Statendam transferred to P&O Australia in 2015, and now known as Pacific Eden. Both are the fifth HAL ships so named. The second Pinnacle class ship joining in December of this year would have been the sixth Statendam but alas, will have "Nieuw" (Dutch for "new") placed in front of her name

Next in line, of ship's names historically used, of the current fleet are:

Veendam (named after the Dutch city in the northern province of Groningen); the current ship is No. 4

Nieuw Amsterdam (reflecting the current name of the city of New York, the original name chosen by her Dutch settlers in the 17th Century); the current ship is No. 4

Ryndam (also spelled Rijndam and named after a dam in the European river Ryn (Rhine); the most recent HAL ship Ryndam, transferred to P&O Australia in 2015, and now known as Pacific Aria, was No. 3

Volendam (named after the Dutch city in the province of Noord Holland); the current ship is No. 3

Noordam (named for the compass heading north in Dutch); the current ship is No. 4

Zaandam (named after the Dutch city in the province of Noord Holland); the current ship is No. 3

Amsterdam (named after the Dutch capital city); the current co-flagship is No. 3

Westerdam (named for the compass heading west in Dutch); the current vessel is No. 3

Prinsendam (named after the Princes of the House of Orange-Nassau, the royal house of the Netherlands); the current vessel is No. 2

Zuiderdam (named for the compass heading south in Dutch); the current ship is No. 2

Oosterdam (named for the compass heading east in Dutch); first time that name was used on the current vessel (although there was an Oosterdyk freighter)

Eurodam (reflecting the European history and heritage of HAL); the current vessel is the first time that name was used

Koningsdam (reflecting HAL's Dutch heritage and honoring the Dutch King); the current vessel is the first time that name was used

Question for Copper10-8  : I have always wondered why the inconsistency in the names of the "compass " ships .  There is Zuiderdam , Oosterdam and Westerdam why only Noordam  ?  Maybe I should have dug into the HAL history books was the Noordam the first one of this class and than they thought better of it afterwards for the next three ? 

I am sure you will have a perfect answer for me Copper . BTW what will be your next ship ? Hope to be able to connect with you one of these days.  Zou erg leuk zijn ! 

Greetings , Tony , sailingdutchy 

Edited by sailingdutchy

17 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

I have always wondered why the inconsistency in the names of the "compass " ships .  There is Zuiderdam , Oosterdam and Westerdam why only Noordam  ?  Maybe I should have dug into the HAL history books was the Noordam the first one of this class and than they thought better of it afterwards for the next three ? 

Zuiderdam was the first Vista (2002), followed by Oosterdam (2003), Westerdam (2004) and finally Noordam (2006). What do you mean "inconsistency" and "why only Noordam"?   South, East, West, North.

Edited by catl331

24 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Question for Copper : I have always wondered why the inconsistency in the names of the "compass " ships .  There is Zuiderdam , Oosterdam and Westerdam why only Noordam  ?  Maybe I should have dug into the HAL history books was the Noordam the first one of this class and than they thought better of it afterwards for the next three ? 

I am sure you will have a perfect answer for me Copper . BTW what will be your next ship ? Hope to be able to connect with you one of these days.  Zou erg leuk zijn ! 

Greetings , Tony , sailingdutchy 

Hi Tony! I can see your point: it's Zuider, Ooster, and Wester, which is Dutch and means Southward, Eastward and Westward. And then there's Noord which is Dutch for just plain North as opposed to Noorderdam which means, you guessed it, Northward. Don't have an explanation as to why, way back in 1902 when the first Noordam came around, they, the Dutch Masters of the Holland Amerika Lijn, went inconsistent by not naming her Noorderdam or, when the first Zuiderdam (never completed due to WWII) was launched in 1941, they didn't call her just plain Zuidam. Change of heart, I would suspect

I don't have a next ship at the moment since I'm dealing with some medical issues (nothing major)

Groetjes! 🙂