Nieuw Ryndam - third Pinnacle class ship's name?

HUNKY

I would like Ryndam III. Third Ryndam and third Pinnacle class. Roman numerals always look classy!

I'm with ya, with the exception that the last Ryndam (the one that went to P&O Aussie in 2015) was the third Ryndam in HAL history. So any next Ryndam without a "Nieuw" in front of her, would be Ryndam IV ;)

Right there with y'all. I don't get the Nieuw thing for any ship other than Nieuw Amsterdam. HAL has a lovely long tradition with many ships being 3rd or even more to bear their names.

Interestingly enough, the ship's name most used in HAL's long history has been Rotterdam (makes sense since it is the name of the city where HAL was born back on 08 Feb 1871, albeit under a different name). The current co-flagship Rotterdam is the sixth HAL passenger vessels with that name.

Close behind are Maasdam (named after the village located 14 km from the city of Rotterdam in the province of Zuid-Holland) and Statendam (named after the original seven Dutch provincial states or"provinciale staten") with the most recent Statendam transferred to P&O Australia in 2015, and now known as Pacific Eden. Both are the fifth HAL ships so named. The second Pinnacle class ship joining in December of this year would have been the sixth Statendam but alas, will have "Nieuw" (Dutch for "new") placed in front of her name

Next in line, of ship's names historically used, of the current fleet are:

Veendam (named after the Dutch city in the northern province of Groningen); the current ship is No. 4

Nieuw Amsterdam (reflecting the current name of the city of New York, the original name chosen by her Dutch settlers in the 17th Century); the current ship is No. 4

Ryndam (also spelled Rijndam and named after a dam in the European river Ryn (Rhine); the most recent HAL ship Ryndam, transferred to P&O Australia in 2015, and now known as Pacific Aria, was No. 3

Volendam (named after the Dutch city in the province of Noord Holland); the current ship is No. 3

Noordam (named for the compass heading north in Dutch); the current ship is No. 4

Zaandam (named after the Dutch city in the province of Noord Holland); the current ship is No. 3

Amsterdam (named after the Dutch capital city); the current co-flagship is No. 3

Westerdam (named for the compass heading west in Dutch); the current vessel is No. 3

Prinsendam (named after the Princes of the House of Orange-Nassau, the royal house of the Netherlands); the current vessel is No. 2

Zuiderdam (named for the compass heading south in Dutch); the current ship is No. 2

Oosterdam (named for the compass heading east in Dutch); first time that name was used on the current vessel (although there was an Oosterdyk freighter)

Eurodam (reflecting the European history and heritage of HAL); the current vessel is the first time that name was used

Koningsdam (reflecting HAL's Dutch heritage and honoring the Dutch King); the current vessel is the first time that name was used

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Btw, the supposed name of "Nieuw Ryndam" for HAL's fourth Pinnacle-class vessel, out in 2021, has been changed to "unnamed" again in Wikipedia. Someone blew the lid prematurely or just wishful thinking? :classic_huh:

Should be "third Pinnacle-class" - My math is off this AM 

1 hour ago, frankc98376 said:

Was told by an officer on previous Nieuw Amsterdam in the early 80's that there would never be another ship named Prinsendam. He had served on the original Prinsendam.

And yet, there came Prinsendam II in 2002 

Image may contain: ocean, water and outdoor

Prinsendam I

959313.jpg

Prinsendam II

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Btw, the supposed name of "Nieuw Ryndam" for HAL's fourth Pinnacle-class vessel, out in 2021, has been changed to "unnamed" again in Wikipedia. Someone blew the lid prematurely or just wishful thinking? :classic_huh:

Is a 4th HAL Pinnacle class planned.  I know there will "kind of"  a 4th under Cunard colors, but also a 4th blue hull?

Roy

51 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Is a 4th HAL Pinnacle class planned.  I know there will "kind of"  a 4th under Cunard colors, but also a 4th blue hull?

Roy

As of today; there are three Pinnacle-class vessels planned; Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and the unnamed coming out in 2021. That's not to say there won't be more in the future as Prinsendam and the last two "S"-class ships are leaving

Pinnacle III was announced via the blog on January 20, 2017. I was convinced that there was a fourth on the books, but I must be confused with some other cruise line that likes to order in fours, like NCL.

Just yesterday, Cunard announced that Adam D. Tihany, the chief designer of the Pinnacle trio would also be the lead designer of Cunard's Halifax class of ship. From the rendering, it looks like Pinnacle class, but its specs are bigger: 113K GT versus 99.5K GT for Pinnacle I-III; 3,000 pax versus 2,650 for Pinnacle I-III.

Cunard IV.JPG

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser
Clarity; Halifax class designation

On 9/3/2018 at 10:17 AM, Copper10-8 said:

So do I, Father. Just continue the tradition of placing a Roman numeral behind the name of the ship, when that name has been used before, like the company has been doing since 1908

Hi John!

I agree with you on this one. I really enjoyed the smaller ships, I will be curious on

what name will be given.

Denise😊

Just now, Cruiser Bruiser said:

Pinnacle III was announced via the blog on January 20, 2017. I was convinced that there was a fourth on the books, but I must be confused with some other cruise line that likes to order in fours, like NCL.

"Three in a class" is a kind of unusual number for HAL. Besides the "singles", there were two R(II) class, two "V"-class, two "N"-class, four "S"-class, four "R"(III)-class, four (initially five) Vista's, two Pinnacles and now three Signatures. Me thinks there'll be a fourth in the future

11 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

"Three in a class" is a kind of unusual number for HAL. Besides the "singles", there were two R(II) class, two "V"-class, two "N"-class, four "S"-class, four "R"(III)-class, four (initially five) Vista's, two Pinnacles and now three Signatures. Me thinks there'll be a fourth in the future

I  wish they would build two more like the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

As of today; there are three Pinnacle-class vessels planned; Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and the unnamed coming out in 2021. That's not to say there won't be more in the future as Prinsendam and the last two "S"-class ships are leaving

When do you expect Maasdam and Veendam to leave?

37 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

"Three in a class" is a kind of unusual number for HAL. Besides the "singles", there were two R(II) class, two "V"-class, two "N"-class, four "S"-class, four "R"(III)-class, four (initially five) Vista's, two Pinnacles and now three Signatures.Me thinks there'll be a fourth in the future

Perhaps we will get an announcement just before, or just after, Nieuw Statendam's launch at the end of the year.