Summit Review: Penthouse Cruisers Try Aqua Class

BunnyLebowski

Thank you so much for what is a fantastic review. I too have always travelled “Suite Class” and we are going on Silhouette in November for our first non-suite experience with some friends. Our last cruise was a repositioning Cruise from Singapore to Abu Dhabi earlier this year and we didn’t have a drinks package. I don’t drink but my wife will have a few, and my father who was travelling with us also likes to imbibe. We met in Michaels every night and went to Luminae or one of the speciality restaurants. We ate in the buffet a couple of lunchtimes and agree with everything you said. Our butler served us breakfast most mornings where I would have fruit, and my wife would have cereal. If she didnt order milk it just didn’t come and the poor butler was running around obtaining some. Don’t they realise that cereal is normally with milk or is it us that lives in a strange world. You have eradicated my fears and I am truly looking forward to the experience, butler free, Michaels Club Free, and Luminae Free.

Internet speed test. Remember dial-up modems?

35aad25139086bb87272c15d4387ae27.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your internet is MUCH better than on Equinox !!! Here internet is SO slow that the speed test times out doing the ping !!! App on phone unable to receive a 7 MB picture no matter how long we wait.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Forums mobile app

Your internet is MUCH better than on Equinox !!! Here internet is SO slow that the speed test times out doing the ping !!! App on phone unable to receive a 7 MB picture no matter how long we wait.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Forums mobile app

Just off the Equinox and the Internet was horrible. Can’t figure why it was so bad in the Caribbean, worst we have had on a X ship since Xcellerate was introduced

Thoroughly enjoying your candid review and comparisons. We have also sailed in the M-Class PH, as well as having sailed in Aqua Class. Reading your review, I felt almost as if you were writing our story, in so many ways! WOW! thank you for your honest review and comparisons.

Will continue to follow along this adventure. Very much enjoying the read!

Very entertaining read! We are booked on Silhouette in RS 1614 for the November 30 - December 9 Caribbean run, first time on Celebrity. We tend to mix suite class with balcony class depending on our mood at the time, so this is super helpful information. :)

Thank you so much for what is a fantastic review. I too have always travelled “Suite Class” and we are going on Silhouette in November for our first non-suite experience with some friends. Our last cruise was a repositioning Cruise from Singapore to Abu Dhabi earlier this year and we didn’t have a drinks package. I don’t drink but my wife will have a few, and my father who was travelling with us also likes to imbibe. We met in Michaels every night and went to Luminae or one of the speciality restaurants. We ate in the buffet a couple of lunchtimes and agree with everything you said. Our butler served us breakfast most mornings where I would have fruit, and my wife would have cereal. If she didnt order milk it just didn’t come and the poor butler was running around obtaining some. Don’t they realise that cereal is normally with milk or is it us that lives in a strange world. You have eradicated my fears and I am truly looking forward to the experience, butler free, Michaels Club Free, and Luminae Free.

So happy you’re feeling confident. You’ll have a great time!

We did a sky suite in March on summit buffet was so much better than rccl, I think it would be hard when you are used to suites to not have all the perks.

I thought so too, but it was actually great. 80% of the trip for 20% of the cost is a great bargain and not at all hard to enjoy.

Movie screen on deck 12- Another nice surprise! The whole family enjoyed hanging out on the couches and watching an Avengers movie. Another day we snagged a lovely alcove and saw a short vignette about a musician I haven’t heard of before or since. Have read a lot of negativity about this space, but I thought it was rather nice. If there were better options for shade we would have spent even more time there.

25926948abe3bde08a6c58de46be9416.jpg

360a2a87e0037f4153a4ebe6ebdc450e.jpg

Bermuda- our 3rd time there. Still beautiful. This trip the unexpected highlight at port was the floating pirate ship bar near the dock. The kids and I “walked the plank” into the beautiful Bermuda water and floated on noodles next to an historic fort while DH sipped rum swizzles and watched us from the bar. I made friends with a young woman from the NCL ship who got engaged that afternoon at snorkel park (!) She was over the moon, and her joy was contagious.

5070f406a8a0cefbd5d97628b6edecfe.jpg

Generally- this is the most time we have spent “out and about” on a ship. Usually we’re sailing in the med and ashore during the day or enjoying the private PH deck at sea. This departure was really fun and it was great to finally explore all the ship has to offer. We did notice, though, that the staff doesn’t think my husband’s jokes are as funny when he isn’t paying for a penthouse suite.

Tipping- admittedly a fraught subject but worth addressing my philosophy on the matter. In a PH we really feel obligated to overtip everyone we come in contact with. Part of this is that we are Americans and that’s part of our culture. But more importantly it’s a bad look to be so fortunate to spend the week in the top suite and then to be anything less than very generous with the hard working people looking after us. I’m usually doing some advanced accounting to figure out who did what for us and needs an extra envelope. Caveat: am not referring to all suites here, only PH since it’s such over-the-top service that isn’t present elsewhere.

This week in Aqua class tipping was EASY. Cabin steward was perfect, and due to our love of sleeping in on vacation, we were not her easiest passengers. She got extra cash throughout our stay and more at the end. Bar staff, including at Elite happy hour, got a few extra dollars every time they made us a drink, so that was easy; pay as you go. And yes I carry a bunch of $1s with me everywhere. Room service delivery guy got $5 every morning. Everyone else did their jobs well enough but were not necessarily outstanding and deserved their auto grats easy peasy.

Conclusion - will return to suites when available for the luxury, privacy and family togetherness the extra space affords. DH and my oldest son definitely prefer a “supersuite”. But...we would absolutely sail in connecting veranda cabins again, especially on port intensive itineraries if our favorite cabin isn’t available and we saw an attractively priced offer. Turns out if we can just manage to get on the ship, we’ll have a great time regardless of the cabin.

We have our first B2B in the Adriatic booked for next summer on the Infinity out of Venice. Week 1 in connecting veranda cabins, moving to PH week 2. Was going to snag the PH week 1 if it opens up closer to sailing, but now I’m thinking it will be just fine if we stay put for a trip that combines the best of both worlds.

Wishing you all clear skies and smooth sailing.

Thoroughly enjoying your candid review and comparisons. We have also sailed in the M-Class PH, as well as having sailed in Aqua Class. Reading your review, I felt almost as if you were writing our story, in so many ways! WOW! thank you for your honest review and comparisons.

Will continue to follow along this adventure. Very much enjoying the read!

Thanks for the kind words. Hope to meet you onboard at some point!

Very entertaining read! We are booked on Silhouette in RS 1614 for the November 30 - December 9 Caribbean run, first time on Celebrity. We tend to mix suite class with balcony class depending on our mood at the time, so this is super helpful information. :)

Glad you found these reflections useful. Enjoy your upcoming trip!

Excellent review..

Glad you enjoyed your cruise and AQ class..that's our usual choice...

We are skipping M class ships until they are refurbished. On S Class the Persian Gardens are included...and are very nice!

Internet speed test. Remember dial-up modems?

35aad25139086bb87272c15d4387ae27.jpg

I have to agree! Luckily I got this as a perk, but if I’d paid for it, I would be mad. When I complained to the ilounge person, he told me to go into a public area to connect as the walls in the cabin were too thick to receive it!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the review. I enjoyed your take on the attitudinal differences, both yours and the staff, sailing in a PH vs. an Aqua class cabin. We've never sailed in a PH, but lately we've been in Royal Suites and I often think what would be different if we booked a lower class.

So glad that you enjoyed your cruise with the working class. It must have been delightful to not be bothered by those pesky butlers. I, too, look forward with the day when I can afford to upgrade to Aqua Class. Inside ocean view, or rare balcony cabin, it's the ships and destinations we enjoy, and, love meeting the wonderful passengers and staff that we are fortunate to travel with. I know this sounds a bit snarky, but, first world problems.......you know.

I thought so too, but it was actually great. 80% of the trip for 20% of the cost is a great bargain and not at all hard to enjoy.

Did you consider smaller suite such as celebrity or sky suite? We wanted a celebrity suite but that was sold out so went for sky suite.

So glad that you enjoyed your cruise with the working class. It must have been delightful to not be bothered by those pesky butlers. I' date=' too, look forward with the day when I can afford to upgrade to Aqua Class. Inside ocean view, or rare balcony cabin, it's the ships and destinations we enjoy, and, love meeting the wonderful passengers and staff that we are fortunate to travel with. I know this sounds a bit snarky, but, first world problems.......you know.[/quote']

^^^^ was thinking the same. I never mind my inside cabin, it allows me to cruise more often and is always dark enough for a afternoon nap. We did book a veranda on our upcoming Hawaii cruise only because price difference was minimal and were lucky enough to get bumped up to concierge with a price drop. No big deal to most, but to us it is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We never sailed in a higher category on Celebrity than a Sky Suite, many times in AQ, and a few times in CC and a regular verandah.

Thru the years I never noticed being treated any different by the staff according to the cabin class that I was in. The same with moving thru the different tiers in the Captains club. I treat all the staff respectably and with a smile and am never demanding or pushy. Always found that works than a entitled attitude.

I guess it may be a perception that you get better service when in a suite but I didn’t notice or felt anyone treated me more special after looking at my Silver card. In fact when I go to a bar I will hold the card upside down in the palm of my hand or on the table so no one see or notices what level I am at or color of my card.

I have had them ask us why we didn’t dine in AQ or Luminae and it was mostly because they were concerned that we had a issue or problem that they would be able to correct. Also had them chase after us many times because we would leave before getting the desert menu because we normally avoid deserts unless it is something very special.

For the most part I don’t think many workers know or care about the different categories except for one. On our last cruise we were in MC. We were the only ones in there and having a conversation with the bar attendant. She asked us what stateroom Zenith is because everyone was making a big ordeal about the Zenith couple being on board. We explained that it was the highest level in the CC. She said that she never seen the staff making such a fuss and making sure that everyone knew about them.

Since I never been in anything higher than a Sky Suite I am sure that the staff would also be aware of those that are staying in the Penthouse because there are only one or two of those suites compared to over 50 of the other suites.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

So glad that you enjoyed your cruise with the working class. It must have been delightful to not be bothered by those pesky butlers. I' date=' too, look forward with the day when I can afford to upgrade to Aqua Class. Inside ocean view, or rare balcony cabin, it's the ships and destinations we enjoy, and, love meeting the wonderful passengers and staff that we are fortunate to travel with. I know this sounds a bit snarky, but, first world problems.......you know.[/quote']

You sound like us 20 years ago when we had the health and stamina to make the most of the ports of call, late night entertainment....

For us now the RS and occasional PH suites are more destinations in their own right. We do spend longer in our room and on our balcony than we did in years gone by.

Much, as I said in my previous comment, you can feel a little monitored in a higher cabin however you can also feel very grateful for the pampering they can offer.....

Looking at the makeup of upper suite guests there tends to be a mix of ‘one timers’ (guests who have booked an upper suite for a special occasion), small families (guests who have done the calculations and decided the PH isn’t that much more for two couples or a family of four if you add in the extras)....Then there are those like us....Mature but not yet vintage and if we can no longer hike up Vesuvius or abseil down a cliff or paraglide over the ocean we can at least enjoy our views with nice surroundings and a bit of looking after.

Did you consider smaller suite such as celebrity or sky suite? We wanted a celebrity suite but that was sold out so went for sky suite.

We booked this about 3 weeks out and all the suites were taken. At this point, any category or combination of categories is on the table for us.