Worried about length of cruise

FSU Girl

I currently have a 11 night Italy and Greek Isles cruise booked for my honeymoon next September. I'm worried about the length of the cruise. My Fiance has never been on a cruise longer than a week before. Do you think it would be better to switch to a week long cruise paired with a week somewhere in Europe or keep the 11 night?

I've done a 10 day cruise and I was ready to come back home.

If it's Europe, I would personally do a 7 day then hang out somewhere really nice in Europe and get to know it well. Who knows when you'll go back.

But, if you like to briefly get to know a place then go back at a future time, then the 11 day is the way to go.

I guess it all depends on the person.

I currently have a 11 night Italy and Greek Isles cruise booked for my honeymoon next September. I'm worried about the length of the cruise. My Fiance has never been on a cruise longer than a week before. Do you think it would be better to switch to a week long cruise paired with a week somewhere in Europe or keep the 11 night?

You need to take a deep breath and relax. You are way too worried about this trip from reading your threads. Everything will be great.

~ deep breath ~

I’d be worried about the length of a 10 day cruise as well. I need at least a few days longer than that. :)

It really depends on individual preference. Our last cruise and our next one are both 7 days, and that really is too short for us, but as the comments above show, others think that any longer is too long. How have you felt at the end of previous cruises? If you were keen to get home after 7 days then yes, 10 will probably be a struggle. If not then you may well be ok.

One thing to be careful of on longer cruises is overdoing things. We try to make sure that we have a good mix of busy and less busy days. If you are rushing around at every port then it is quite likely that you will tire of it. We try to make sure we pick a few ports to just have a wander around and a drink or meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be worried about the length of a 10 day cruise as well. I need at least a few days longer than that. :)

It really depends on individual preference. Our last cruise and our next one are both 7 days, and that really is too short for us, but as the comments above show, others think that any longer is too long. How have you felt at the end of previous cruises? If you were keen to get home after 7 days then yes, 10 will probably be a struggle. If not then you may well be ok.

One thing to be careful of on longer cruises is overdoing things. We try to make sure that we have a good mix of busy and less busy days. If you are rushing around at every port then it is quite likely that you will tire of it. We try to make sure we pick a few ports to just have a wander around and a drink or meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cruise will definitely be action packed since there is only one sea day so we will be doing a lot of excursions. I think our resting time would be when we get back on the ship at the end of the day. One of our 7 nights I could have stayed on much longer, but then we also did a 4 night where I was really sick and I couldn't wait to get off the ship lol.

The eleven day cruise would be a great honeymoon. It will give you time to spread out the activities and have a few days with some down time. After the first few days, instead of being sad it is half over, you will be exited to have a week left. After stressing about a wedding, it might be nice to just be on the cruise and not worry about planning something on land in addition to the cruise.

He basically said whatever I want to do is fine with him.

He sounds like my DH. [emoji16]

Does he like cruising in general? If he does you have nothing to worry about.

My DH actually doesn’t like cruising that much and I have found out to him and people like him destination is the key. Prior to last year our longest cruise was also week long. Last year we did a 21-day Antarctica cruise on a tiny 100 people ship and he absolutely loved it because the destination had so much to delight and to excite.

Europe also has much to offer I think as long as your fiancé at least somewhat likes cruising he will be fine either way you plan.

He sounds like my DH. [emoji16]

Does he like cruising in general? If he does you have nothing to worry about.

My DH actually doesn’t like cruising that much and I have found out to him and people like him destination is the key. Prior to last year our longest cruise was also week long. Last year we did a 21-day Antarctica cruise on a tiny 100 people ship and he absolutely loved it because the destination had so much to delight and to excite.

Europe also has much to offer I think as long as your fiancé at least somewhat likes cruising he will be fine either way you plan.

He does like cruising, I just worry about him when we are in the cabin. He's really tall and always seems to hit his head on things since the rooms are so small. I'm super short so it's never been something I thought about. He's very excited to go to Europe though, that was his one stipulation for the honeymoon that he wanted to go there.

Oh, oh...he's obviously evaluating your decision making abilities; if he keeps taking notes and going "Hmmm", watch out!

LOL! He's a very laid back go with the flow type of guy. I usually plan all our trips since I'm a planner, but sometimes some input would be nice.

Maybe the itinerary will dictate? My first solo travel was a 2 week Med cruise at 19. I wanted to hit all the ports to see what I wanted to come back to visit. I was on the move the entire time and we only had one or two sea days and that was getting over to the North African coast. It came in handy dealing with the first hangover :loudcry: but I wasn't ready to get off when we were done.

You can only plan for so much and if it turns out to be too long, you will survive and know better for next time.

Don't sweat it.

I believe you are over thinking this. If you said he’d never been on more than a three night (or three hour) cruise I might be concerned, but seven days I’d plenty of time to know if cruising suits a person or not. I found the step from seven day cruises to 10-12 day cruises to be very, very easy. Going back down to seven night cruises after the joy of longer ones was harder.

Obviously you both like cruising, else it never would have been considered. With the longer cruise, you will see more ports. If you find you need more down time, just cancel an excursion and take it easy instead.

You have plenty to plan. Having picked the ship, itinerary and excursions, don’t go backward now without a good reason!

We like longer cruises and cruise Europe where it can be very port intensive. However you do not have to spend the entire day exploring a stop and can even stay on board if you so wish. Some European cruises often stay for 2 days at a major attraction. So there should be plenty of scope for decisions on what you feel like doing. Only time I would be bored would be on a TA -too many sea days. Just relaxed and enjoy!

My wife and I did an 11 night cruise on the Jade to the Canary Islands from Barcelona for our Honeymoon. For us, 7 nights is the sweetspot. 11 was a bit long and we were definitely ready to get off the ship at the end.

I couldn't do a 3 day on an inside cabin myself...a balcony is my sweet spot..as far as port intensive, thinking I have to get off at every port and do something, just wears me out. I prefer a day or two on the ship when everyone is gone...empty ships are the best ships.

That said, do the longer cruise, enjoy your honeymoon.

LOL! He's a very laid back go with the flow type of guy. I usually plan all our trips since I'm a planner, but sometimes some input would be nice.

Enjoy the cruise. The days will click by and when you get the “You’ll Be Leaving Soon” flyer, you’ll wonder where all those days went.

The cruise will definitely be action packed since there is only one sea day so we will be doing a lot of excursions. I think our resting time would be when we get back on the ship at the end of the day.

Instead of excursions in every port, why not plan in a few “get off and wander” days - that way you can see what you want (and see random things you didn’t expect to see), if you’re tired you can have a lie in, if your feet hurt you can go back to whenever you want, and if you don’t feel like getting off at all, you don’t have to!

I think a lot of people stress over excursions in every port because they think they *have* to see something there regardless of actually being interested in it or not!

(I am really not an organised excursion fan if you can’t tell!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I did an 11 night cruise on the Jade to the Canary Islands from Barcelona for our Honeymoon. For us, 7 nights is the sweetspot. 11 was a bit long and we were definitely ready to get off the ship at the end.

That's the ship we're booked on. That's what I'm worried about that we'll find it too long and wish we were back on land by the end of it.

Instead of excursions in every port, why not plan in a few “get off and wander” days - that way you can see what you want (and see random things you didn’t expect to see), if you’re tired you can have a lie in, if your feet hurt you can go back to whenever you want, and if you don’t feel like getting off at all, you don’t have to!

I think a lot of people stress over excursions in every port because they think they *have* to see something there regardless of actually being interested in it or not!

(I am really not an organised excursion fan if you can’t tell!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are definitely some ports I feel like we need an excursion (like Florence where they are far from the port), but some of the Greek Isles are probably easy to get around so we could do that and fit in some rest. I don't want to wear us out doing 10 hour excursions every day. I did that once when my friend and I did a Med cruise and by the end of it I ended up getting sick.