Holland America Line Partners With Rolling Stone Magazine for Rock Room Music Venue

LauraS

Truly good Rock should not be danced to .

Maybe it's not the type of Rock to which you are referencing, but have you ever listened to Gloria Gaynor's I'll Survive? How can anyone "sit still" when that song is played?

Maybe our definition of "dance" is different. I define as "dance" as anyone solo, couples, or a group, getting out of their seats and "dancing" to the rhythm of the music. Same thing happens with Rollin'on the River and others as well.

“Maybe it's not the type of Rock to which you are referencing, but have you ever listened to Gloria Gaynor's I'll Survive? How can anyone "sit still" when that song is played?”

That song, Sir, is disco. While I don’t hate the song and enjoy some tunes in that genre, I would never call it Rock and Roll.

I’m baffled too by the culture of celebrity worship, which is the under current (no pun intended) of the cruise.

I don't think it's celebrity worship, it MONEY !!! The Rolling Stone partnership, just like BB King Blues Club, NY Times, Billboard Onboard, Lincoln Center, and the Oprah deal are all reciprocal partnerships. The cruise line funds the install of a venue with a brand name and the associated commercial plugs, and they receive funding, and the partner receives in-kind promotion. One hand washes the other. Unlike the old piano bars which were strictly a HAL venue, and the only income was from the drinks sold, the new entertainment venues bring in sponsorship funding as well as the shared cost of the musicians who are performing.

“Maybe it's not the type of Rock to which you are referencing, but have you ever listened to Gloria Gaynor's I'll Survive? How can anyone "sit still" when that song is played?”

That song, Sir, is disco. While I don’t hate the song and enjoy some tunes in that genre, I would never call it Rock and Roll.

I know that the song is disco. As I understand the HAL stated range of music for this new venue includes the "disco years", I would expect the "disco years" to be represented.

There are surely exceptions, but I guess what you’re saying is partly why New Wave found an audience.

I was at a concert today .It was a band covering Beatles and Stones .One of the singers said if anyone wanted to dance in the aisle feel free to do so .Not one person got out of their seats.

HAL Newbie here... I was disappointed when I found out that Billboard was another 'piano bar'...

I agree with TAD, above, about that.

While I might enjoy the new venue better than a piano bar... I do still think that HAL might be missing the mark again, by a little bit.

Now we have LOUD B.B.Kings, and the new LOUD venue... but then 'chamber music' at Lincoln Center.

ummmm... interesting....

American Bandstand made dancing to rock and roll respectable.

Some disco, like Gaynor and Summer, gives me happy feet.

Does boogieing at a Dead concert count as dancing?

Even Bowie sang, “Let’s Dance!”

American Bandstand began in the 1950's ,the time of Doo Wop . Although Bill Haley is credited with beginning Rock ,true Rock music began in the mid 60's.

Google Gene Chandler and his Duke of Earl videos from the early 1960's. For "pop music", I most fondly remember, many a Saturday night going to bed with my GE transistor radio playing next to me, I went to sleep listening to "WBZ-Boston" and their music that they broadcast. It's a memory that is indelible.

The new music venue needs to include music from my era of the early-mid 6o's if HAL wants me to be a patron.

Google Gene Chandler and his Duke of Earl videos from the early 1960's. For "pop music", I most fondly remember, many a Saturday night going to bed with my GE transistor radio playing next to me, I went to sleep listening to "WBZ-Boston" and their music that they broadcast. It's a memory that is indelible.

The new music venue needs to include music from my era of the early-mid 6o's if HAL wants me to be a patron.

What you expect and what you get are two different things, i.e. If you go to B.B. King Blues venue expecting to get "Blues" music, you might get one "Blues" per night. Virtually everything but, and everything is loud !

I was at a concert today .It was a band covering Beatles and Stones .One of the singers said if anyone wanted to dance in the aisle feel free to do so .Not one person got out of their seats.

That's only because of all the hip replacement surgeries. ;)

Mr. Ashford doesn't know the first thing about how to run HAL and he cares little what his loyal passengers think.

Well its your party and you can cry if you want to.........but.....

Loyal customers right now have Lincoln Center, Billboard Dueling Pianos, and BBKing......

Why get upset when HAL adds a 4th venue for Classic Rock?

Edited by JRG

That's only because of all the hip replacement surgeries. ;)

On a Viking Sea cruise I was on, there was a Beatles tribute party by the pool one night, and the ship band played covers. It had the most dancing I saw on the entire cruise.

I wonder if HAL has considered having a rock venue on board may lead to a spate of pax trashing their staterooms and driving their mobility scooter into the swimming pool. ;)

Such behavior has been observed before. Upon sailing from Honolulu during one of my cruises, a lei tossing ceremony was held at the ship's aft deck pool to symbolize one's hope to return to Hawaii ( a very old tradition when the leis were tossed overboard as the ship sailed; if one's lei floated back to shore, that was a "sign" that the person would return to Hawaii).

The gentleman whom I observed, wearing his lei and fully dressed, jumped into the aft pool with the other leis. (Too many Blue Hawaiians? Or whatever.) I briefly thought I was on a "Fun Ship" cruise.

The type of music had nothing to do with such behavior.