Muster issue - hope that Celebrity is reading

Travelcat2

I always liked to outside muster. Had one on last RCCL cruise. Anyway...all musters would be quick and easy (ok it's crowed and hot but hard to get that number of people together close to their boat) if people would take muster seriously by showing up one time and not try to skip. They are the ones that make a 15 minute process 30. I extremely dislike these people. On my RCCL cruise we had to stand for longer than necessary while they called for several cabins to show up...they never did. It's not perfect but not a first time cruise I "know the drill" and know where to go. Those that don't show...oh well **cue Titanic music

I'll chime in here as I've been the Oasis of the Seas - given the number of passengers, they muster in MANY different venues inside the ship both large and small - I believe the one that we were assigned to accounts for 2 or 3 lifeboats and it was a small venue - even there we were standing shoulder to shoulder or on the floor.

I agree with the statements that these indoor areas are staging areas and have a very different purpose than needing to have a seat for everyone - and for purposes while at sea under "normal" operations you are probably correct that they wouldn't allow that many people at one time

Just back from our 3rd Celebrity Cruise in three years and i don't really get the complaining, yes it's crowed and you may have to stand for 30 min. Is it unsafe no if it was they would not do a night where they jam hundreds of people together and put head phones on them and dance around. . No one likes the drill but it has to be done. I'm guessing the only way people will not complain is until they let you sit in your cabin the watch the video. Suck it up for a half hour then get a drink and enjoy your cruise. It's not men't to be mean but your starting a cruise what can be better.

Just back from our 3rd Celebrity Cruise in three years and i don't really get the complaining, yes it's crowed and you may have to stand for 30 min. Is it unsafe no if it was they would not do a night where they jam hundreds of people together and put head phones on them and dance around. . No one likes the drill but it has to be done. I'm guessing the only way people will not complain is until they let you sit in your cabin the watch the video. Suck it up for a half hour then get a drink and enjoy your cruise. It's not men't to be mean but your starting a cruise what can be better.

I kind of take offense to your comments. What you may not take into consideration is the fact that overcrowding any venue - whether it be for dancing or muster can be dangerous in case of an emergency - whether at sea or on land. Have you not read about fires in "clubs" on land where people are trampled and sometimes killed when people try to get out of an overcrowded.

Also, if people can not hear or see what is going on, what use is muster anyway. Yes - people know where to gather but likely would find a crowded mess when they get there and would not be able to hear instructions. If this were on land, the fire department would close down the overcrowded spaces.

In any case, I doubt if Celebrity really cares about what their passengers think about this (and passengers seem to think that this is normal when it definitely is not). So, I'll go back to our regular cruise lines and have a "normal", safe and sensible muster and let the rest of you "suck it up".

• Like 1

I kind of take offense to your comments. What you may not take into consideration is the fact that overcrowding any venue - whether it be for dancing or muster can be dangerous in case of an emergency - whether at sea or on land. Have you not read about fires in "clubs" on land where people are trampled and sometimes killed when people try to get out of an overcrowded.

Also, if people can not hear or see what is going on, what use is muster anyway. Yes - people know where to gather but likely would find a crowded mess when they get there and would not be able to hear instructions. If this were on land, the fire department would close down the overcrowded spaces.

In any case, I doubt if Celebrity really cares about what their passengers think about this (and passengers seem to think that this is normal when it definitely is not). So, I'll go back to our regular cruise lines and have a "normal", safe and sensible muster and let the rest of you "suck it up".

While not diminishing your feelings and impressions of the muster, unless Celebrity is doing something different than what was designed into the ship (I don't know, using less muster stations than designed), and I would seriously doubt this as their insurance and even ability to sail would be impacted if they were found to be doing this, then by definition the spaces are not "overcrowded" per international fire regulations.

Also, if people can not hear or see what is going on, what use is muster anyway. Yes - people know where to gather but likely would find a crowded mess when they get there and would not be able to hear instructions.

In my opinion the only value to Muster drills is so that people know where to go in an emergency. Even having gone there once, I expect many will need help finding their stations in the case of an actual emergency. Beyond that, I find the "presentation" about as helpful as being instructed how to fasten my seat belt every time I get on an airplane.

Not trying to minimize the seriousness of an emergency - just don't feel that the muster drill can really prepare us for that situation no matter how well you can see or hear.

Mike

If it is so chaotic and disorganized in a drill, imagine if there is a true emergency. This may check the legal boxes but does not help cruisers learn very much about the process or instill confidence.

As I've said before regarding passenger muster, there are only three steps to the "process":

1. Show up (know where the location is, and how to get there)

2. Shut up

3. Wait for instructions

Every emergency is unique, so instructions given at drill are pretty worthless, and are, in my professional opinion, just filler the cruise line puts out there.

As I've said before regarding passenger muster, there are only three steps to the "process":

1. Show up (know where the location is, and how to get there)

2. Shut up

3. Wait for instructions

Every emergency is unique, so instructions given at drill are pretty worthless, and are, in my professional opinion, just filler the cruise line puts out there.

In my nonprofessional opinion, I agree.

If it is so chaotic and disorganized in a drill, imagine if there is a true emergency. This may check the legal boxes but does not help cruisers learn very much about the process or instill confidence.

Thank you! It is nice to see that someone understood my posts and the reason that I started this thread. I also understand that I am not familiar with premium and mainstream cruise lines and this may be "normal" to many. I can say that this is not "normal" on premium plus and luxury cruise lines. On these cruise lines, the theater, lounges and even restaurants are used for muster. On the cruise lines that we regularly sail, we know to keep quiet - turn off phones and just listen to instructions. Sometimes we go outside and other times we do not. It is run in a orderly manner and we leave there knowing what is expected of us as well as others.

One would think that this would be particularly important on cruise lines where there are children. If you don't hear that your children will be taken to the gathering place/muster station, parents could be wildly looking around the ship for their children during an emergency while they are safely being watched by crew members - awaiting your arrival at the muster station.

Okay - I'm going to belabor the point any longer. I gave my opinion in hopes that Celebrity would pay attention and insure that their passengers can safely get through muster - learn what they need to do and not get trampled in a overly "stuffed" room.

P.S. While we are likely not going to sail on Celebrity again, we did sail on NCL's newest ship (the Bliss that carries 4,000 passengers). Muster was done calmly, in areas that were large enough for each group and we were able to hear and see everything. I would have thought that Celebrity would have be better than NCL but this simply was not the case in terms of muster.

Sorry - we were on Infinity. I was so lost when we got on the ship that I just followed people into a large lounge. We were in 1640 and suppose that we were in the large aft lounge (near the elevators). It was a large space - just way too many people. It made me think of restaurants on land where there is a "maximum occupancy" rating on the wall. That is what this muster station needed.

P.S. Just read your second post. We have been on the deck (of other ships) standing like sardines by the assigned boat. The biggest difference was that we were outside and could breathe. We have been on three other cruise lines and they use the theater, lounges, restaurants, etc. and there is usually seating for everyone (a couple of times a handful of people had to stand but nothing like we experienced on Infinity).

We were at that muster in the Rendezvous and I agree, one of the longest we’ve ever attended and we’ve been on 60+ cruises. We were also on the previous cruise and it was the same thing, almost 30 minutes long. I really don’t know what the issue was. We were on that same ship in March and muster wasn’t near that long. I did mention it in the survey, for whatever good that will do.

Our first Muster, aboard Freedom of the Seas in 2013, was by the lifeboats. Made sense to me. We could see the number/SPACE of people assigned to that lifeboat. "Attendance" was taken; the alarms were described and the actions we should take, and then we were done. Our next Muster, aboard Brilliance of the Seas in 2017 -- a full ship charter -- was very different. We were arrayed in the Schooner Bar; didn't have much room, and the approach was much more regimented, but it still lasted just 10 minutes tops -- why 10 minutes of paying attention to procedures that we would be taking in the event of an emergency would bother someone is beyond me. Longer than that, and I can see why attention might be straying. I'm a retired teacher and military veteran, so I may have a little less patience than most with people who refuse to subdue their "needs" in favor of the safety of many.

Edited by IRMO12HD
clarity

Our first Muster, aboard Freedom of the Seas in 2013, was by the lifeboats. Made sense to me. We could see the number/SPACE of people assigned to that lifeboat. "Attendance" was taken; the alarms were described and the actions we should take, and then we were done. Our next Muster, aboard Brilliance of the Seas in 2017 -- a full ship charter -- was very different. We were arrayed in the Schooner Bar; didn't have much room, and the approach was much more regimented, but it still lasted just 10 minutes tops -- why 10 minutes of paying attention to procedures that we would be taking in the event of an emergency would bother someone is beyond me. Longer than that, and I can see why attention might be straying. I'm a retired teacher and military veteran, so I may have a little less patience than most with people who refuse to subdue their "needs" in favor of the safety of many.

For the record, muster lasted over a half an hour. This isn't about not being patient or refusing to subdue our "needs". We were put in an uncomfortable place where it was hot and we couldn't hear or see a thing. On "normal" cruises, we have no problem whatsoever listening to everything that is being said - even if it takes an hour (and sometimes it does - when we have to wait in the theater (seated) until everyone has been checked in -- listening to the information -- putting on our life jackets and sometimes going out on the deck. The information that they should be imparting could be life or death in case of an emergency at sea and it behooves everyone to pay attention for however long it takes.

If muster is not strict and regimented and people can not hear or see - what is the point? Personally I do not want to cruise on any cruise line (or be with other passengers) where muster is not taken seriously. In the event of an emergency these people will not know what to bring - what to wear - possibly where their children are - how to put on the life vest (so that crew members do not have to take time to show you). Can you find your muster station in the dark? Do you know where the stairs are?

I know that I'm talking to myself here so I'll leave with the sincere hope that Celebrity and their passengers change the way that "some" musters are being handled and will pay close attention - no matter how long it takes -- before a real emergency occurs.

I can understand what the original poster is trying to convey. I have sailed twice with Princess and have eagerly attended muster drills as I was very keen to learn what to do in an emergency – particular as I was travelling with my younger daughter and felt a keen responsibility to be aware of all requirements should something go wrong. These drills with Princess were clear, concise and there was enough room for attendees to move to a spot where they could see the presenter and familiarise themselves with entrances and exits as demonstrated.

On our first Celebrity cruise we were allocated muster in what I remember to be Michaels Bar. The issue was that so many people were squeezed in for muster, we were pushed to the side and the group was so deep that I could not see nor adequately hear the presenter. There was no chance of moving to a more suitable spot as we were squeezed in tightly. I can understand that areas are tight, but if it becomes a negative as so many people are allocated to an area that they cannot see or hear instructions, then surely it becomes counter-productive. Perhaps Celebrity allocates too many cabins to certain muster spots.

I think the initial post raising this issue was valid. Even accepting the discomfort of the muster drill – the lack of opportunity to absorb the message being delivered was concerning.

I am off on my second Celebrity cruise soon and will be interested to see if the experience is any different.

I'm one of those cruisers who appreciates being able to sit inside for Muster drill, versus lining up on deck like sardines in the heat . We arrive to our Muster station at least 30 minutes prior to the drill to ensure seating. I have little-to-no-heartburn about our keeping those seats, for medical reasons.

I have asthma which is triggered by fragrances. For that reason, I bring a mask with me to Muster drill to wear. Yes, it gets crowded, but I center myself, take in the redundant videos and feel empowered to know where to go in case of emergency. It's an hour of my time to launch a fabulous vacation!

One of the problem is that rules changed, but not the ships. On my first cruise on M-class, the muster drill were outside, on Deck 4. You can imagine the crowd there. I think it was already without life-jacket (I remember on older time, all near "own" lifeboat, with life-jackets.

Now it seems that fire is more relevant than sinking (or maybe they will decide which side later), so people are required to be inside on muster station. As you noticed, there is not enough space to be comfortable. On the other hand, the ship was (I think) designed for old outdoor muster drill. And with addition of more cabins, things are worse. But finally no more life-jacket.

Note: the drill is also for crew. Crew checks all ships and I think they will get few (fake) "surprises" to check readiness and training. So it is not completely useless. (but I think it is slow for such reason, that drill finished only when the green light is given. Passengers: please get in time to muster drill, so we have a shorter one.

In any case, I think Celebrity could improve. It seems that MC and gallery are the very bad muster stations.

It isn't the rules that have changed, it is the ships. Outdoor muster, as close to the lifeboat as possible is still the preferred muster location per SOLAS. What has changed is that the ships are designing more revenue generating space (interior) at the expense of non-revenue space (promenade deck), so that the promenade deck no longer has the space to accommodate the muster.

And you are somewhat correct that the muster is a drill for the crew as well, though there typically aren't any "surprises", it is just that this is the only time the crew can actually learn how to "herd cats" (the unruly and uncooperative passengers).

One of the problem is that rules changed, but not the ships. On my first cruise on M-class, the muster drill were outside, on Deck 4. You can imagine the crowd there. I think it was already without life-jacket (I remember on older time, all near "own" lifeboat, with life-jackets.

Now it seems that fire is more relevant than sinking (or maybe they will decide which side later), so people are required to be inside on muster station. As you noticed, there is not enough space to be comfortable. On the other hand, the ship was (I think) designed for old outdoor muster drill. And with addition of more cabins, things are worse. But finally no more life-jacket.

Note: the drill is also for crew. Crew checks all ships and I think they will get few (fake) "surprises" to check readiness and training. So it is not completely useless. (but I think it is slow for such reason, that drill finished only when the green light is given. Passengers: please get in time to muster drill, so we have a shorter one.

In any case, I think Celebrity could improve. It seems that MC and gallery are the very bad muster stations.

Please provide your source for your comments in red. :confused: Not all muster stations are small, overcrowded and uncomfortable. Not all cruise lines do the muster drill inside.

I can say that this is not "normal" on premium plus and luxury cruise lines. On these cruise lines, the theater, lounges and even restaurants are used for muster.

P.S. While we are likely not going to sail on Celebrity again, we did sail on NCL's newest ship (the Bliss that carries 4,000 passengers). Muster was done calmly, in areas that were large enough for each group and we were able to hear and see everything. I would have thought that Celebrity would have be better than NCL but this simply was not the case in terms of muster.

I think you are missing the point that Celebrity uses these locations as well. We usually book the same cabin so our muster is usually the theater. Plenty of room, can sit, and see and hear everything. But they also have to use other locations also - some of which may be less comfortable. Perhaps on NCL you got lucky - while others had the same complaint about space.

I agree with others that state these drills are simply checking the box. Note that they no longer even provide the information in any language other than English (who recalls how many times they used to repeat the "instructions" in how many languages)? Now they simply tell foreign passengers (in English) to watch the information on their TV.

Mike

I found the video puerile. Worse still, it was mostly inaudible but having cruised before I’d checked out the information on the back of the cabin door and knew how to put on a life jacket. For first time cruisers, it verges on useless. I’m not looking forward to enduring it again...

I found the video puerile. Worse still, it was mostly inaudible but having cruised before I’d checked out the information on the back of the cabin door and knew how to put on a life jacket. For first time cruisers, it verges on useless. I’m not looking forward to enduring it again...

Twice as bad when doing a B2B cruise.

I understand the OP has legit issues as did a few others about mobility and so on, Yes, it can get crowded and stuffy in a few of the locations, others it’s not an issue. And except for those with special needs, these posts read like a lot of whining. It lasts a relatively short time and off we go.

For a bunch of people who can afford and have the time to cruise and take full advantage of a grand vacation style, this is a bit much.

Den