Eclipse, a Mediterranean Royal Suite Experience

chemmo

Apologies, clearly the weather gods misread our calendar and thought we would be in Greece this year (rather than next)!

So glad the "new posh frock" finally got an airing.

Sue, after how lucky we have been on recent holidays with the weather including visits to darkest Wales we really cannot complain!

Captain Leo’s swap of itinerary worked wonders and we had fabulous weather in Santorini yesterday. Just as magical as always....

So glad you got to wear your "posh" frock! I shared my stories of delayed luggage with you last year but "touch wood" we've been lucky this year and everything has turned up. Off to Orlando a week on Saturday and once again we'll have enough in our carry ons to last at least three days of cruising including a "posh" frock for us both!

Wendy

Wendy, I hope you have a wonderful cruise and no luggage mishaps....We are back in Orlando this time next year prior to an Equinox cruise post ‘Revolution’....

Hi,

What nights have you had chic nights? Is it always the second night and then what? I want to have a plan for my specialty dining and would like to eat in the MDR on those nights. We will be on the South America, Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise (14 nights) in January. Also on the first night is there always Prime Rib in the MDR? Thanks for any help.

On our present cruise it was second night and tenth night. As a general rule for a 14+ night cruise we have had 3 chic nights....First sea day, one mid cruise and one towards the end, invariably all sea days. Hopefully someone who has done your itinerary will give you a better response. If not start your own thread.

Can’t comment on prime rib first night in the MDR, it is a long time since we dined there....

Wendy, I hope you have a wonderful cruise and no luggage mishaps....We are back in Orlando this time next year prior to an Equinox cruise post ‘Revolution’....

We are actually doing our first Oasis cruise in ages - we always did Disney cruises every October but they’ve priced themselves out for us. Then Reflection in April and the Edge in July for my 50th! Thank goodness for credit cards!

Wendy

We are actually doing our first Oasis cruise in ages - we always did Disney cruises every October but they’ve priced themselves out for us. Then Reflection in April and the Edge in July for my 50th! Thank goodness for credit cards!

Wendy

We did an Oasis cruise in January 2016 between many Celebrity cruises. We did enjoy a little room variety ( we tried an Aqua theatre suite) and the shows are very good. We found the food the weakest part of the package, even the speciality restaurants were a bit iffy....

Re Cruises booked we have 2 booked but the next isn’t until next September.....I am sure we will ‘give in’ before then!

Arrived in Malta to cloud and drizzle....Trying soooooo hard not to be disappointed by the weather but we really didn’t expect this at this time of year, we have had so much better at the end of October!

Hoping in the time it takes to eat breakfast it will improve...

We did an Oasis cruise in January 2016 between many Celebrity cruises. We did enjoy a little room variety ( we tried an Aqua theatre suite) and the shows are very good. We found the food the weakest part of the package, even the speciality restaurants were a bit iffy....

Re Cruises booked we have 2 booked but the next isn’t until next September.....I am sure we will ‘give in’ before then!

We are in a basic Boardwalk Balcony stateroom - I can't complain as this is our 4th cruise this year! But we are only doing speciality dining and have the drinks package so we will enjoy it - just know we won't get Murano style food. Although to be honest Oasis introduced my mum to Sushi and me to the joys of flavoured salts at Central Park 150. As a teacher I have to be organised well in advance to get airfare.

Wendy

The rain finally stopped in Malta about 11am. The stoic by that time had caught the ferry across in the rain. Knowing just how slippery the wet pavements can be we decided to enjoy watching the midday cannon go off from our balcony. With five ships in port we could see the area was heaving....

One of the ships was MSC seaview. She was blaring out loud music and annoying announcements all day. What a total lack of respect for the people of Malta and the other cruise ships.....Those choosing to dine in any of the shoreside cafes would have been blasted, we were across from them and were struggling to hold a conversation on the balcony....

Final day of our cruise and some reflections.....

The weather! It hasn’t been as good as we expected but thanks to good choices made by Captain Leo and his team we have enjoyed some sunshine. It is the one thing that Celebrity cannot control....Perhaps it gives us an excuse for fitting in another vacation before our next cruise!

Structurally Eclipse is in great shape. Spotlessly clean and well maintained. We had no issues with our cabin other than the internet isn’t good in the bedroom. Our butler and room attendant have looked after us well.

Our requests for a tea tray with kettle and a small sandwich and cake selection to be sent to our room for afternoon tea was sorted. Afternoon tea time in Michael’s just doesn’t work for us.

Service in Michael’s has been prompt and efficient. Bianca is excellent.

Whilst we only tend to enjoy a couple of breakfasts and lunches in Luminae we have been made very welcome, service has been very friendly and efficient. The M’D was very thoughtful and respected our wishes to dine in the speciality restaurants but ensured we had copies of the Luminae menus and knew that we were aware we could also choose from the MDR menu.

Both Tuscan and Murano’s have given us some amazing experiences this holiday.

Dining in Tuscan in the evening as we have left ports and the sun has slowly set has simply been magical. Service has been outstanding, food standard reliably very good...As some mornings we have chosen the Elite breakfast there too we have seen a lot of the staff! No matter what time of day they give nothing but smiles....

Murano’s menu continues to be a real favourite for our family. If one only dines once or twice per cruise you tend to stick with a favourite rather than try new things...Between us we have, I think, worked our way through most choices and (thanks to the M’D) even a favourite that isn’t on the menu. Service again, excellent.

In both the speciality restaurants we have enjoyed the wine recommendations of the sommeliers. As very conservative drinkers we honestly would stick on ‘Decoy’ left to our own devices but instead our starters and mains have been paired with some lovely wines. Always presented with enthusiasm....we have really enjoyed experimenting.

Fellow guests, a very nice international mix! We have enjoyed meeting guests from as far afield as Australia and South Korea! Nice group in Michael’s too we have enjoyed meeting for pre and post dinner drinks.

Sightseeing....This is truly a wonderful itinerary. Our only sadness is in areas like Rhodes and Santorini which we explored so thoroughly in our younger years are now becoming hard work...So if you keep putting off a special cruise ‘until you retire’ Don’t! Go for it now! Seize the day! None of us knows what challenges to health and mobility tomorrow may bring....

In conclusion. This is our third cruise on Eclipse, it feels almost like ‘coming home....’. We know we will be pampered and looked after from stepping on board. The service we have received and genuine kindness has helped us through a few quite challenging years. We have had that wonderful three levels of pleasure - anticipation and looking forward to, the actual cruise itself and then the memories which will last a lifetime!!!

Thanks to all those who have shared our adventures!

Part of Captain Leo’s final morning address

“.....the position of the Celebrity Eclipse is upright and we intend to keep it so....”

“...life is short so as long as you have teeth keep smiling...”

One of the ships was MSC seaview. She was blaring out loud music and annoying announcements all day. What a total lack of respect for the people of Malta and the other cruise ships.....Those choosing to dine in any of the shoreside cafes would have been blasted, we were across from them and were struggling to hold a conversation on the balcony....

Awful. Never experienced that before. I think she is quite an open design, like a couple of blocks of flats from the outside? I wouldn’t have been impressed and it just gives bad press to cruise ships in general.

Phil

I had the same problem with X in Alaska last summer. We were on a 2 week Seabourn Alaska cruise. We were at the scenic port of Icy Straight Point. Quiet lovey spot. Seabourn was the only ship there.

A few hours later in comes the Infinity. The movie from the Roof Top Terrace was blaring. We could hear it all day. Spoiled the whole ambience. For the first time I was so glad I was not on a X ship !

Surprised to hear that. We were next to a Disney ship in St. Maarten one time and had that horrible experience. Resolved to swear off Disney forever.

I'm about to embark on the MSC Seaside to see what the Yacht Club is all about. Celebrity's suite prices are getting a bit out of hand. Will be interesting to see if that is the case on Seaside.

Chemmo, enjoyed following along with you. Thank you.

My wife and I have enjoyed the Eclipse for several years on the winter 14 day Caribbean itinerary. We are so sad that the Eclipse was redeployed and the regular 14 day itinerary eliminated. We always made a point of listening to the Captains 10 AM announcement.

Safe travels.

I'm about to embark on the MSC Seaside to see what the Yacht Club is all about. Celebrity's suite prices are getting a bit out of hand. Will be interesting to see if that is the case on Seaside.

Hope you have a great time!

We try to never judge anything by one single impression but Malta was a busy port that day....the volume of Seaview was in sharp contrast to Eclipse, Constellation and a Costa ship also in port.....I had no issue with the early morning noise as it was some sort of staff exercise but in the afternoon the ‘entertainment’ was really loud....Hopefully the yacht club area will be quieter, really looking forward to hearing your opinions....

The Constellation had the worst position....Those wonderful PH suites were totally overshadowed by Seaview, glad we hadn’t splurged on them!

I had the same problem with X in Alaska last summer. We were on a 2 week Seabourn Alaska cruise. We were at the scenic port of Icy Straight Point. Quiet lovey spot. Seabourn was the only ship there.

A few hours later in comes the Infinity. The movie from the Roof Top Terrace was blaring. We could hear it all day. Spoiled the whole ambience. For the first time I was so glad I was not on a X ship !

Sorry your pleasure was spoilt....It only goes to show all lines can show occasional lapses of ‘sensitivity’ to location and other cruisers. It was our first experience of seeing an MSC close up, perhaps other ships in their fleet show greater restraint. Perhaps, regular MSC cruisers can comment if our experience was simply a one off....

Edited by chemmo

Awful. Never experienced that before. I think she is quite an open design, like a couple of blocks of flats from the outside? I wouldn’t have been impressed and it just gives bad press to cruise ships in general.

Phil

A couple of blocks of flats is an excellent description!

I’m so glad you got to wear your ”posh frock” and I’m enjoying your postings. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Posh frock about to go back in the wardrobe until next September (unless we give in before then and book another cruise!)......

Chemmo, enjoyed following along with you. Thank you.

My wife and I have enjoyed the Eclipse for several years on the winter 14 day Caribbean itinerary. We are so sad that the Eclipse was redeployed and the regular 14 day itinerary eliminated. We always made a point of listening to the Captains 10 AM announcement.

Safe travels.

Captain Leo is certainly a very entertaining and thoughtful Captain. We were very touched on boarding that he had remembered that last cruise I had been in a wheelchair...

On our second to last day in his announcement he said

“I had hoped by this stage of the cruise most guests would recognise me but as I was passing the pool a lady asked me to pass her two towels....”

Captain Leo was once again at the ships exit thanking each and every cruiser for cruising with Celebrity and smiling with genuine warmth as guest after guest wanted a last photograph....

Having spent a total of 34 days on Eclipse in the last 18 months she did feel very much a home from home....Perhaps a visit to South America is on the cards....

Worst noisy neighbor for us was being berthed near a Carnival ship holding some type of on board rock festival....jarring music with DJ blaring all day, loud drunks on board....Everyone cheered when they left !

Chemmo

Thanks for a lovely ongoing review

Sorry about the weather

..Glad you enjoyed the posh frock...

Edited by hcat

We experience the same with a Disney ship docked next to us in St. Thomas. It's was years ago, and not docked at the usual pier. I cannot remember what cruiseline we were on, Most likely RCCL.

The noise issue should be regulated by the port authority. Noise restrictions should be in place by individual cities. I cannot imagine that the citizens of these port cities are happy with the "loud ships" day after day. Banning loud music and movies on ships, while in port, could actually benefit the port cities. If nothing is going on around the ship during port days, the passengers would be more inclined to leave the ship.

I am not a fan of movies on ships. I wish X would do away with it. Leave that to Princess and Disney. I can go to the movies any time at home.

The last time I was on the Infinity I was in AQ1 Aft on deck 11. I could not sit out on my balcony without hearing the action movie. I called GR and asked to turn it down. My neighbor in the cabin next to me complained as well.

Hope you have a great time!

We try to never judge anything by one single impression but Malta was a busy port that day....the volume of Seaview was in sharp contrast to Eclipse, Constellation and a Costa ship also in port.....I had no issue with the early morning noise as it was some sort of staff exercise but in the afternoon the ‘entertainment’ was really loud....Hopefully the yacht club area will be quieter, really looking forward to hearing your opinions....

The Constellation had the worst position....Those wonderful PH suites were totally overshadowed by Seaview, glad we hadn’t splurged on them!

I'm not a fan of giant ships. That's why I thought the Yacht Club concept seemed interesting. Will see. My sister has cruised in the Yacht Club twice and thinks it's fabulous, but she has never cruised in a suite on Celebrity. I'll miss the free laundry, pressing, and dry cleaning and free internet, but did not have to pay too much for the internet and the price for the cruise was far less than Celebrity in a suite.

Love, love, love Malta! One of my favorite ports ever. We had a fabulous private tour arranged by one of the women on our roll call.

Captain Leo is certainly a very entertaining and thoughtful Captain. We were very touched on boarding that he had remembered that last cruise I had been in a wheelchair...

On our second to last day in his announcement he said

“I had hoped by this stage of the cruise most guests would recognise me but as I was passing the pool a lady asked me to pass her two towels....”

Captain Leo was once again at the ships exit thanking each and every cruiser for cruising with Celebrity and smiling with genuine warmth as guest after guest wanted a last photograph....

Having spent a total of 34 days on Eclipse in the last 18 months she did feel very much a home from home....Perhaps a visit to South America is on the cards....

Perhaps for us as well.

I would not be surprised if Captain Leo ends up on one of the new Edge ships at some point.

Wise words Chemmo about seizing the day. We made the same decision after our first cruise, when sadly a lady in her early fifties struggling to get through the first day of our two day tour in St Petersburg due to her arthritis. I admired her courage, but gosh did it make me realise that you can't take your money with you - get out and enjoy life. Thank you for another of your wonderful reviews - love your style!