Eclipse, a Mediterranean Royal Suite Experience

chemmo

Last night we enjoyed a really international Captains Table in Tuscan. It was a really pleasant evening!

For those who remember my ‘Posh Frock’ from our Florida mishaps last cruise it finally had an airing! Although it wasn’t a ‘chic’ evening it was an occasion to dress for. Captain Leo is a great company and Elizabeth, Captains Club host, such a sunny personality. It was a night to be remembered.

Is the Elite breakfast going to now be "sit down with menu" on every ship? I know that the breakfast is held in Tuscan on the Solstice class ships. What about on the Millennium class ships and the Edge?

Certainly on Silhouette in June.

I was surprised how few people used the Elite breakfast on Silhouette, compared to Eclipse in 2015, but then it was buffet service.

The attached picture was the ‘Ultimate platter,’ which we shared, but I had already given the cheese to my husband, as I am Dairy Intolerant.

There is also a fruit platter on the menu, but we found the Ultimate better value.

5219abe867087bebb0dd7cab24c150f3.jpg

Edited by upwarduk

Last night we enjoyed a really international Captains Table in Tuscan. It was a really pleasant evening!

For those who remember my ‘Posh Frock’ from our Florida mishaps last cruise it finally had an airing! Although it wasn’t a ‘chic’ evening it was an occasion to dress for. Captain Leo is a great company and Elizabeth, Captains Club host, such a sunny personality. It was a night to be remembered.

Would love to see a picture of you in your posh frock! Glad you finally got to wear it.

Would love to see a picture of you in your posh frock! Glad you finally got to wear it.

Linda, one of these days I will learn how to post pictures but I may choose to loose a little weight first!

I couldn’t resist posting that I had worn it as so many of you had been so supportive and understanding that I could cope with boarding Reflection with 1/3 of my clothes if I just had one nice outfit!

Enjoying your blog. Has the weather improved? Did the sun finally come out in Mykonos? We have friends on this sailing...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The sun tried its best and gave limited sunshine from about 2pm but still quite chilly. At about 9pm there was lightening and heavy rain. Today we have arrived in Athens to thick cloud and quite heavy rain....

Much as we are a little upset by the weather our hearts really go out to those seeing this part of the Mediterranean for the first time. Even moreso to those who have traveled halfway around the world to get here.

Our initial plans for Athens were to go to Plaka and enjoy a nice lunch....With our mobility issues even if the rain stops we will have some concerns about slipping on the uneven cobbled (and very wet) pavement.

Our glasses continue to be more than half full. From our balcony we have a great view of ships coming and going, the rain is coming straight down rather than inwards so we can still enjoy the fresh air on our balcony, we can enjoy a swim in the Solarium later and tonight we dine in Murano’s!

I’m so glad you finally got to wear your posh frock! Glad this trip has begun with so much less stress for you. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, it was really nice to

a) only have a short flight before cruising

b) arrive with all our luggage

c) spend our spare day looking at museums rather than cobbling together some cosmetics and clothes!

I still cross packed our suitcases and we did fly in two days early. Our next across the pond cruise is this time next year and we are flying in over a week before cruising. Whilst some may quote the minimal chances of flights being cancelled, luggage going missing.... it is just soooo stressful when it happens to you and you have a cruise ship to catch! We invariably add pre or post land stays to our cruises and after recent problems I think we will opt for pre cruise stays!

Sincere thanks for your good wishes!

Yes, it was really nice to

a) only have a short flight before cruising

b) arrive with all our luggage

c) spend our spare day looking at museums rather than cobbling together some cosmetics and clothes!

I still cross packed our suitcases and we did fly in two days early. Our next across the pond cruise is this time next year and we are flying in over a week before cruising. Whilst some may quote the minimal chances of flights being cancelled, luggage going missing.... it is just soooo stressful when it happens to you and you have a cruise ship to catch! We invariably add pre or post land stays to our cruises and after recent problems I think we will opt for pre cruise stays!

Sincere thanks for your good wishes!

In the past I have believed that doing these two things set up powerful voodoo to prevent any mishaps with your luggage. But last May our trip to South Africa was afflicted by a 36-hour luggage delay, and the [carefully cross-packed] bags had been rifled and looted when we got them :eek:

one of these days I will learn how to post pictures

Do you have a smartphone? If you do, go into the App Store (iPhone) or Google Play Store (android phone) and download the Cruise Critic Forums app onto your phone (or tablet). Then you can take pix with your phone/tablet and add as many as you want to your posts. The app does all the sizing work. Super easy this way.

We have always enjoyed a light breakfast in Luminae. Are they pushing more food at Luminae? Usually after the first morning they seem to know what we want for breakfast.

Is this app free? I've never tried it.

chemmo - So enjoying this review. Too bad that the weather has not been ideal.

In the past I have believed that doing these two things set up powerful voodoo to prevent any mishaps with your luggage. But last May our trip to South Africa was afflicted by a 36-hour luggage delay, and the [carefully cross-packed] bags had been rifled and looted when we got them :eek:

I am really sorry that you had that awful experience with your luggage. I guess that is the chance we all take to enjoy traveling...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Middle of the night in the UK but sleep is escaping me so I got up and am reading your review and am so pleased that I chose to do so. Firstly we are doing what appears to be a similar itinerary on the Eclipse out of Barcelona in less than 3 weeks and secondly you say Alejandro is the Cruise Director. Oh please let him stay on for our cruise! While I can often take or leave the entertainment, I could watch him forever and have been lucky enough to have him as CD on 3 cruises.

Thank you for posting, and as a result, we will also try for an early dining in Tuscan on the first evening.

How awful....at least last cruise’s cross packing resulted in us all boarding with a change of undies and an outfit when only one out of our three suitcases arrived!

Do you have a smartphone? If you do, go into the App Store (iPhone) or Google Play Store (android phone) and download the Cruise Critic Forums app onto your phone (or tablet). Then you can take pix with your phone/tablet and add as many as you want to your posts. The app does all the sizing work. Super easy this way.

Thanks for that, I will look into it!

Middle of the night in the UK but sleep is escaping me so I got up and am reading your review and am so pleased that I chose to do so. Firstly we are doing what appears to be a similar itinerary on the Eclipse out of Barcelona in less than 3 weeks and secondly you say Alejandro is the Cruise Director. Oh please let him stay on for our cruise! While I can often take or leave the entertainment, I could watch him forever and have been lucky enough to have him as CD on 3 cruises.

Thank you for posting, and as a result, we will also try for an early dining in Tuscan on the first evening.

I think Alejandro will still be on board. According to Captain Leo if the weather is good on board it is because of his excellent direction...if it bad it is the fault of the CD or the HD!

Speaking of the weather it was truly awful yesterday in Athens. Almost constantly raining, very cool and overcast. We made the most of a ship day (not helped by our local U.K. football team being shown on TV in glorious sunshine and to add insult to injury they played terrible and lost!!!). Really continue to feel for those spending their first ever trip to this part of the world....

Captain Leo after looking at the forecasts for today and tomorrow has switched itineraries so we have spent today in Rhodes and we visit Santorini tomorrow. We checked the weather forecasts ourselves and it certainly looked like this morning in Rhodes would be pleasant but rain was expected shortly after lunch. As a consequence we had a light Elite breakfast as the ship moored up then enjoyed a walk into Rhodes town, our first visit in more than 30 years! Whilst the buildings remain much as we remember it is far more crowded and there is much more litter around. We came back on board about 1 pm and enjoyed a burger and beer at the mast bar before the heavens opened! Real downpour but now the sun is trying again....

It was upsetting to see (very) young children on route from the ship into the town playing toy accordions and begging. They are obviously being ‘managed’ and the fear is if you give anything you are promoting adults using children in this way....As we left the port of Messina nuns were collecting for the elderly poor just before security. It was nice to be able to give a little something without worrying that by giving you are promoting evil...I guess begging is an ongoing dilemma for travellers world wide.

We saw the "accordion children" in Mykonos. Also saw a beginning woman with a days old infant. She was in the same hot, sunny, spot all day (when we got off the ship and when we returned that afternoon.) The baby looked dehydrated. I tried to tell the woman that she needed to get the baby out of the sun.

Both scenes were terribly upsetting, especially to my youngest daughter who had left her 2 young children at home with their other grandparents. We gave money to all. :(

We woke up to thunder and lightning over the volcano in the Santorini caldera.....very dramatic!

The sun is now shining, just waiting to hear no more tickets needed for tendering them we shall head off. We do not plan a long day so no rush, let those who have not previously visited get off first!

The sun tried its best and gave limited sunshine from about 2pm but still quite chilly. At about 9pm there was lightening and heavy rain. Today we have arrived in Athens to thick cloud and quite heavy rain....

Much as we are a little upset by the weather our hearts really go out to those seeing this part of the Mediterranean for the first time. Even moreso to those who have traveled halfway around the world to get here.

Our initial plans for Athens were to go to Plaka and enjoy a nice lunch....With our mobility issues even if the rain stops we will have some concerns about slipping on the uneven cobbled (and very wet) pavement.

Our glasses continue to be more than half full. From our balcony we have a great view of ships coming and going, the rain is coming straight down rather than inwards so we can still enjoy the fresh air on our balcony, we can enjoy a swim in the Solarium later and tonight we dine in Murano’s!

Apologies, clearly the weather gods misread our calendar and thought we would be in Greece this year (rather than next)!

So glad the "new posh frock" finally got an airing.

So glad you got to wear your "posh" frock! I shared my stories of delayed luggage with you last year but "touch wood" we've been lucky this year and everything has turned up. Off to Orlando a week on Saturday and once again we'll have enough in our carry ons to last at least three days of cruising including a "posh" frock for us both!

Wendy

Hi,

What nights have you had chic nights? Is it always the second night and then what? I want to have a plan for my specialty dining and would like to eat in the MDR on those nights. We will be on the South America, Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise (14 nights) in January. Also on the first night is there always Prime Rib in the MDR? Thanks for any help.