Drinking age on RCL sailing out of Puerto Rico?

Our plan is to “just wing it”. I had just thrown out the question to see if anyone had experienced this situation out of Puerto Rico before and with so many conflicting facts on RCL (agents and web) I was curious if anyone had come across the same query. But this thread became more an opinion based conversation as opposed to fact based information. It won’t make or break our cruise, just fishing for info :)

Again, see post 10. He can’t do it and if you are caught buying him a drink off the ship you go.

gerif...What the hell! That's not my post you quoted. That was the OPs post (reply) back to me. Not sure how my screen name got attached to it. :confused: And I do know the drinking age is 21 years old. Go back and read my posts to the OP.#16 and #19. You are echoing what I already posted.

gerif...What the hell! That's not my post you quoted. That was the OPs post (reply) back to me. Not sure how my screen name got attached to it. :confused: And I do know the drinking age is 21 years old. Go back and read my posts to the OP.#16 and #19. You are echoing what I already posted.

Sorry, must have been a glitch with my phone.

Our plan is to “just wing it”. I had just thrown out the question to see if anyone had experienced this situation out of Puerto Rico before and with so many conflicting facts on RCL (agents and web) I was curious if anyone had come across the same query. But this thread became more an opinion based conversation as opposed to fact based information. It won’t make or break our cruise, just fishing for info :)

As a parent you have that right and take that responsibility. I'm not condoning or criticizing your decision. Not my place. We don't have kids so I can't really say what we would do. What would happen if you get busted. Who knows. Just because others may have gotten away with it doesn't mean every bar tender or server will look the other way. Speaking for my self I did a lot of under age drinking (and at the time the drinking age in NY State was 18, for anything.) and smoking in the day but without my parents knowledge, well at least when I was drinking and smoking it. After the fact, well that's another story. ;p Enjoy your cruise.

Hi, vacationgirli.

It's not rumor.

It's not opinion.

It's not misinformation.

On your cruise, the minimum age for drinking is 21.

Period.

Beginning of story, middle of story, end of story.

By the way, providing alcohol to someone underage is grounds for being disembarked from the ship at the next port.

(he can legally drink in most if not all of your ports)

When you get on the ship you can give some drinks to your 18yo from time to time.

No big deal...

very big deal. the ship takes this seriously and the response is anywhere from having the adults cut off completely form being able to purchase any alcohol on board period, to being kicked off the ship with no refund.

very big deal. the ship takes this seriously and the response is anywhere from having the adults cut off completely form being able to purchase any alcohol on board period, to being kicked off the ship with no refund.

This. Certain posters seem to think rules don't apply to them and do whatever they wish.

You may have the textbook response, however in reality it is completely different.

Just because you don't agree, does not make it false.

Based from experience.

Just not involved...

Ourusualbeach...That's not my post you quoted. That was the OPs post (reply) back to me. Not sure how my screen name got attached to it. :confused: And I do know the drinking age is 21 years old.

I quoted the OP. Their name is above it. Something happened way back when someone tried to edit, did it incorrectly and it’s now messed up a lot of posts.

When you get on the ship you can give some drinks to your 18yo from time to time.

No big deal...

Nobody is getting kicked off.

They really don't care...….

Not True...

Code of Conduct from a cruise contract for an NA RCI sailing.

Guests who violate any alcohol polices (overconsuming, providing

alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrating irresponsible behavior, or

attempting to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage

checkpoints or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed

to board, at their own expense, in accordance with Guest

Conduct Policies.

I've been on a cruise where passengers were disembarked early because of this. YMMV

Edited by robtulipe

From RCI's site:

What is the legal drinking age onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship?

A

Effective immediatly on all sailings, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International is as follows.

• The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21).
  • The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).
  • The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated.

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age of alcohol consumption on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

So exactly where my confusion lies is SAN JUAN on RCL website is listed under heading South America and Caribbean which as listed above (quoted RCL policy) drinking age on the ship is 18. It is not clear to me where everyone is finding the ships drinking age is 21. San Juan is clearly not listed under North American departure ports.

The drinking age is 21.

As an FYI as this is a similar situation, Royal also sails from Quebec (drinking age 18) and British Columbia (drinking age 19) and on the ships the drinking age is 21.

Thank you for trying to clarify this but unfortunately both those ports are departure ports listed under North America in their policy which states drinking age is 21.

From RCI's site:

What is the legal drinking age onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship?

A

Effective immediatly on all sailings, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International is as follows.

• The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21).
  • The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).
  • The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated.

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age of alcohol consumption on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

So exactly where my confusion lies is SAN JUAN on RCL website is listed under heading South America and Caribbean which as listed above (quoted RCL policy) drinking age on the ship is 18. It is not clear to me where everyone is finding the ships drinking age is 21. San Juan is clearly not listed under North American departure ports.

Puerto Rico is part of the Caribbean islands. The Caribbean islands are generally considered to be part of North America. (That's probably why Caribbean is separated out from South America on the website; it's not part of South America.) The policy for cruises originating in North America is that the drinking age onboard is 21.

It's really not opinion based though. You've gotten the answer several times, the drinking age for all NA and Caribbean cruises is 21.

Their drinking policy does not include “Caribbean” anywhere as a departure port and in previous posts we have established as per RCL classification San Juan is under SOUTH AMERICA departure ports NOT North America

Their drinking policy does not include “Caribbean” anywhere as a departure port and in previous posts we have established as per RCL classification San Juan is under SOUTH AMERICA departure ports NOT North America

Where did you see that RCI considers San Juan to be South America? Everyone else has seen it in the "South America and Caribbean" category. Naming the category "South American and Caribbean" does not imply that the Caribbean is IN South America. In fact, quite the opposite. It's indicating that Caribbean is NOT in South America. Otherwise, the category would just be called "South America".

Where did you see that RCI considers San Juan to be South America? Everyone else has seen it in the "South America and Caribbean" category. Naming the category "South American and Caribbean" does not imply that the Caribbean is IN South America. In fact, quite the opposite. It's indicating that Caribbean is NOT in South America. Otherwise, the category would just be called South America.

It is the Only port listed under South America and Caribbean, the drinking policy does not list Caribbean under its rules everything falls either under North America (21) and

/or South America (18). There are NO OTHER ports listed under South America and Caribbean except for San Juan. When you search North America departure ports it is definitely not listed there.

So while I know geographically where PR is, and I am clear on some peoples Opinions on whether Caribbean is assumed North American, then a) why not list San Juan under NA departure ports and b) why include a separate clause of South America in their drinking policy if San Juan is their only departure port out of that classification.

Edited by vacationgirli

I´m not sure where your problem is:confused: You´ve been asking for people who sailed out of Puerto Rico and you´ve got numerous people who have done so to answer your question. Yet you keep questioning their answers because of some obscure website interpretation of yourself.

Are you looking for answers to your question if anyone had experienced this situatin out of Puerto Rico or do you just want to argue?

Don´t take the geographics of cruiseline websites too seriously. They list London, Paris, Berlin, Florence, Pisa, Athens, ........ as ports of call when they will never even come close to these cities with their ships.:eek:

It is the Only port listed under South America and Caribbean, the drinking policy does not list Caribbean under its rules everything falls either under North America (21) and

/or South America (18). There are NO OTHER ports listed under South America and Caribbean except for San Juan. When you search North America departure ports it is definitely not listed there.

So while I know geographically where PR is, and I am clear on some peoples Opinions on whether Caribbean is ASSUMED North American, then a) why not list San Juan under NA departure ports and b) why include a separate clause of South America in their drinking policy if San Juan is their only departure port out of that classification.

Because their drinking policies have absolutely nothing to do with their booking engine and how ports are marketed on there.

RCI does or at least did sail out of South America at times.