Elite cocktail hour on eclipse

GeorgesGal

This entire thread is a wonderful insight into "what's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander"!

:cool:

So right!

The problem is when the goose attempts to impose it’s will on the gander!

I took the credit instead of the package as I drink about 4 or 5 drinks...a year!

Do you know if Celeb will allow me to bring a six pack or more of Evian? Or is that verboten?

I disagree .. Free drinks from the Captains Club menu are an Elite Perk. The lounge from 5-7 is part of the perk . Having 3 drinks on the card is just a change in how the perk is offered.. giving us a choice of where we would like to drink

Well, given that they're now limiting you to 3 drinks a night, it seems like it is a change. I don't drink very much but previously if I wanted to try something and then decided I didn't like it and got something else, it didn't affect what else I could order.

Do you know if Celeb will allow me to bring a six pack or more of Evian? Or is that verboten?

You can bring on water and soda. Also, two bottles of wine per state room at embarkation port. :)

Well, given that they're now limiting you to 3 drinks a night, it seems like it is a change. I don't drink very much but previously if I wanted to try something and then decided I didn't like it and got something else, it didn't affect what else I could order.

No one should disagree that a change from unlimited to three drinks a day is a change, although it probably only impacts a small number of cruisers.

Also being able to have three drinks at any bar except The WC bar is a very significant positive change for most people that do not already have a drink package.

I conclude that more people are positively influenced by this change than negatively impacted. Especially since the Sky Lounge is still available.

I conclude that more people are positively influenced by this change than negatively impacted. Especially since the Sky Lounge is still available.

Presumably you mean for non-Elite. Yes, the Sky Lounge is still available for Elites but without unlimited drinks.

Presumably you mean for non-Elite. Yes, the Sky Lounge is still available for Elites but without unlimited drinks.

Non. elite and not a part of this. Only Elite and up get the 3 free drinks on the card. The non-elite would be impacted if large numbers of elite decide to crowd other bars and not go to the sky lounge. I use my drinks on my card in Sky as I enjoy the open space and atmosphere

This entire thread must have the people at Celebrity scratching their heads. They haven't taken anything away from anyone, but people are complaining about how they get their free drinks. If you want to come to the lounge great, come and have a good time. If you want to drink at another bar, great have a good time. Celebrity was reacting to the fact that their are more Elite and above members and sometimes it's crowded in the lounge, so provide they provided an opportunity to enjoy a couple of free drinks somewhere else. The only thing that is different appears to be that you need to provide your sea pass card where ever you drink (at least on all of our recent cruises) and they may limit you to 3 drinks even in the lounge (I've never encountered this limitation but it may not be a bad thing if it's true). There is the opportunity to meet and talk to there passengers in any bar, not just the lounge. They haven't taken anything away from anyone, but people are complaining about their free drinks. Amazing.

BTW the lounge is often reserved for a number of special events during the cruise. Usually on the S-class ships at least part of the lounge is open for the rest of the passengers.

You need to get the drinks package. It doesn't matter if it's the Classic or Premium package.;)

Why do moderate drinkers want the drinks package? We are Elite and only drink at Happy Hour and have wine with dinner. We spend less than $300 for alcohol for two total on a 14 day cruise.

We don't drink soda, bottled water or expensive coffee.

I don't have a problem with having the three drinks on my sea pass, since most happy hours, I usually drink three glasses of wine.

Why do moderate drinkers want the drinks package? We are Elite and only drink at Happy Hour and have wine with dinner. We spend less than $300 for alcohol for two total on a 14 day cruise.

I don't have a problem with having the three drinks on my sea pass, since most happy hours, I usually drink three glasses of wine.

Perhaps you need to read all of the posts. The note was a response to Wino's question about how I could keep a big beer gut with only 3 drinks a day. The answer was the beverage package. Note the smiley at the end.

Enjoy your 3 free drinks on almost every day.

My thoughts. Celebrity will do what they want. Whether or not you like it. I want to say we became Elite in 2009. We also are Diamond on Royal without Celebrity's help. Celebrity does things different than RCL. Yes the drinks are or were unlimited between 5pm and 7pm. It was 4pm to 6pm years ago. I the past Celebrity gave out 3 coupons per day on sheets that were in your cabin on the 1st day. Now Celebrity wants or is heading to 3 free drinks on your Seapass card. When I look at the big picture. Where is a large lounge on the Edge where they could hold a Captains Club event. Somewhere with limited entrances. I will not be surprised if after the revolution that the Sky Lounge and others lounges like it on M Class ships will be gone. We like going to the Evening elite events to meet new interesting people not the booze as we normally have a drink packages.

Its interesting that there appears to be no criticism of the Elite cocktail hour from any other of the Celebrity ships. On some ships where there are a lot of Elites and above the coupon system is in place on others it appears the open cocktail event is in place. As far as I can ascertain the policy is still the cocktail event not coupons. How long this policy remains in effect is anyone's guess. Its probably a cheaper option to have coupons, but if one is eligible for the function and want it to remain then I suggest they make their feelings known to Celebrity both onboard and in the post cruise comments. On Trans Pacific. Trans Atlantic and repositioning cruises where there are no drink package perks the idea of a 3 coupon voucher system has definite appeal

I dont think of myself as a moderate or heavy drinker. I like being able to go to a bar and get what ever I want and not having to sign for it. For some it is not always about cost. I seem to always have the premium drink package.

Edited by bigbenboys
added last sentences

I note that some RCCL passengers have come across to Celebrity as Elite by virtue of their status on RCCL. No issue there but why compare what one gets on RCCL with what one gets on Celebrity and then criticise the differences. One always has a choice go back to RCCL and get the perks you have earned there is accept that the two cruise lines are different and accept the differences for what they are. It seems these days that more and more RCCL passengers are coming to X rather than X Elite passengers going to RCCL.

I dont think of myself as a moderate or heavy drinker. I like being able to go to a bar and get what ever I want and not having to sign for it. For some it is not always about cost. I seem to always have the premium drink package.

Agreed. I also like being able to go to Cafe al Baccio for a coffee or iced tea, or get a smoothie at the Aqua Spa cafe, or being able to get the normally overpriced bottled water when leaving the ship and not having to bring my own bottles and fill them. I would NEVER pay anything close to what the regular price of the drink package is, and I wouldn't pay to upgrade it (although it would be nice to try more expensive drinks, but I can just pay the difference now for the few times I'd do that). But for the price I'm "paying" relative to the value of taking a different perk, it's worth it to me.

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2018 at 10:24 PM, jagoffee said:

No one should disagree that a change from unlimited to three drinks a day is a change, although it probably only impacts a small number of cruisers.

Also being able to have three drinks at any bar except The WC bar is a very significant positive change for most people that do not already have a drink package.

Yes, it's available, but it's almost empty, so the feeling is as if you are there during port of call day when everyone is on the shore, and therefore it's a totally different atmosphere there now - the actual Elite Cocktail Hour event (as we know it) is virtually gone regardless of whether one likes it or not.  Regarding "reading skills" discussions in this thread - we are all different (feelings, desires, impressions...), and reading between lines leads to unexpected results to say at least (similar to phantom of the political correctness developing lately around the globe - to say or not to say...).

Mikhail