Change in Traditional Dining Times?

canadarocks

4 hours ago, lstone19 said:

I'm wondering why anyone thinks two hours is normally not enough time to eat in the MDR and then get to a show. Waiting until 8:00 (three hours from early traditional in this case) and 10:00 (2:45 from late traditional) is excessive.

Because sometimes dinner does take two hours, and for Princess shows, you do need to get there about 30 minutes early.  

When late seating was at 8:30 it was almost impossible for those diners to see a show.  8pm shows finished after dinner started, and 10:00 made it hard to get there without rushing dinner.

We've done a couple of cruises on Celebrity and they have 6pm and 8:30 dinners.  The shows are at 7 and 9.  I don't know why Princess doesn't do this.  What I've always found is that everyone one in early and anytime goes to the 8pm show, and only late seating people go to 10 when they can make it.  Thus, you have to get to the 8pm show about 30-45 minutes early.  You can just walk in to the 10pm.  The earlier times would balance it better, IMHO.

I found out about the change by accident when I logged into my personalizer for my March cruise on Royal. I never received any email notification at the time. Today I received the email that others have posted here on CC informing me of the change.

I travel with two kids so always choose early traditional - this works perfectly as we can eat dinner together, drop kids at the kid program, then go see the early show without kids! I don't have a problem with the dining times shown in the email - 5pm works for us. However, I do have a problem if the showtimes are changing...if we don't make the early show then the late show doesn't always work with kids club hours. It seems that Princess is not considering the logic of this or coordinating all aspects. I would say the majority of families that sail with children opt for early dining - Princess should be looking to match up dining times with showtimes with kids club times OR maybe don't fix what isn't broken?

I would love to do anytime dining but the few times we tried it with Princess were an absolute disaster! Other lines we have sailed on and had anytime dining worked beautifully!

5 hours ago, chamima said:

Thanks for reporting back.

Those show times make no sense.

Why not wait a little and do 8 and 10 as they used to do so everyone could eat a normal dinner?

just off Grand. showtimes 6:30 and 8:30.

Could walk in for early show 5 minutes before and still able to find seats. unlike pre change where theater would be full 20 minutes before.

changes worked well for shows.

had 5pm dining, was able to make 6:30 shows.

Edited by RDC1

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I found out about the change by accident when I logged into my personalizer for my March cruise on Royal. I never received any email notification at the time. Today I received the email that others have posted here on CC informing me of the change.

I travel with two kids so always choose early traditional - this works perfectly as we can eat dinner together, drop kids at the kid program, then go see the early show without kids! I don't have a problem with the dining times shown in the email - 5pm works for us. However, I do have a problem if the showtimes are changing...if we don't make the early show then the late show doesn't always work with kids club hours. It seems that Princess is not considering the logic of this or coordinating all aspects. I would say the majority of families that sail with children opt for early dining - Princess should be looking to match up dining times with showtimes with kids club times OR maybe don't fix what isn't broken?

I would love to do anytime dining but the few times we tried it with Princess were an absolute disaster! Other lines we have sailed on and had anytime dining worked beautifully!

I believe the increasing popular and often complained about Anytime dining is a major driver of this change.  Anytime dining has often been busy until the second dining room is converted to Anytime ding at about 7:30 PM.

These changes should allow more space for Anytime dining earlier than in the past.  Also the 7:15 PM TD is early enough for a lot of people and thus the late TD will be better utilized.  This should also further reduce the pressure on Anytime dining.

All Open dining will not work for Princess, but it is the trend.

The bottom line IMO is that the true benefit of these changes is an improvement in  the Anytime dining experience allowing more people to use Anytime dining earlier.

Once you hear positives reports about Anytime dining, you might want to try it.

16 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

often complained about Anytime dining

What are the complaints about anytime dining. We always do that  and it works fine. We go early

and share and got a mix of 4 6 & 8. We never have to wait and probably a third of the times made the first show.

If desperate to see the first show we could  often find a seat by sitting apart.

Are the complaints from those who go and expect a table for 2 to be waiting for them?

Edited by Aulanis

27 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

What are the complaints about anytime dining. We always do that  and it works fine. We go early

and share and got a mix of 4 6 & 8. We never have to wait and probably a third of the times made the first show.

If desperate to see the first show we could  often find a seat by sitting apart.

Are the complaints from those who go and expect a table for 2 to be waiting for them?

My complaint about anytime dining is, firstly, that reservations are allowed - this creates a long wait right from the get go if you didn't reserve ahead of time! We eat early as we travel with kids - I don't want to share a table as I feel it's unfair to expect other passengers to be forced to eat dinner with two children. The few times we have tried anytime dining, we would arrive at 5:30pm and be told there was already a wait of 45 minutes to an hour! I tried to "beat" the system by waking early (on vacation!) to make reservations but would find myself on hold for long periods and then when finally answered would be told that all reservations had been taken. No thanks!

2 hours ago, Mediaspot said:

Thanks for the info... Anything else about the Grand that would be helpful to those of us boarding in ten days??? Please "Quote" me so I get an e-mail that you've responded.  Thanks,  Thom.

on our cruise, ended today, 15 day hawaii, lots of activities, however new CD boards today. they did follow the new schedules, seemed to work well. did not hear any complaints about Anytime or new schedule.  no tables for 2 in rear dining room used for early and late TD. so if you want that need to do early mid ship TD or anytime.

21 hours ago, RDC1 said:

on our cruise, ended today, 15 day hawaii, lots of activities, however new CD boards today. they did follow the new schedules, seemed to work well. did not hear any complaints about Anytime or new schedule.  no tables for 2 in rear dining room used for early and late TD. so if you want that need to do early mid ship TD or anytime.

SERIOUSLY??? Did they indicate that no tables for 2 in Botticelli late TD is now a policy on the Grand?  Did they allow reservations in Anytime to offset that for those of us who, for particular reasons, need a 2-top?  We're firmly "late" diners, have gone back to TD, and booked the Holiday Cruise ages ago as a special treat. We were hoping the Grand would keep something close to the original times, but guess we're out of luck. We were really looking forward to this cruise, but not so much now.  Were there many unhappy guests on your cruise, RDC1?

If accurate, this will be the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back for me.

I can reluctantly tolerate the new late seating time, but only if two tops are offered.

Not interested in either anytime dining or shared tables.

Curious to see if this is reported on additional ships.

27 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

If accurate, this will be the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back for me.

I can reluctantly tolerate the new late seating time, but only if two tops are offered.

Not interested in either anytime dining or shared tables.

Curious to see if this is reported on additional ships.

I would take that info with a grain of salt.

There were certain areas that only tables for 2 even fit into.

Maybe someone was told a table for 2 wasn't available and took that to mean there weren't any at all.

We also eat at a table for 2, late traditional , and I'm not at all worried that we'll be accommodated.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

My complaint about anytime dining is, firstly, that reservations are allowed - this creates a long wait right from the get go if you didn't reserve ahead of time! We eat early as we travel with kids - I don't want to share a table as I feel it's unfair to expect other passengers to be forced to eat dinner with two children. The few times we have tried anytime dining, we would arrive at 5:30pm and be told there was already a wait of 45 minutes to an hour! I tried to "beat" the system by waking early (on vacation!) to make reservations but would find myself on hold for long periods and then when finally answered would be told that all reservations had been taken. No thanks!

That's one of the reasons why they shouldn't allow reservations at all. Seat people as they arrive at the door. Having reservations only slows the dining process for everyone. 

2 hours ago, knippsel said:

SERIOUSLY??? Did they indicate that no tables for 2 in Botticelli late TD is now a policy on the Grand?  Did they allow reservations in Anytime to offset that for those of us who, for particular reasons, need a 2-top?  We're firmly "late" diners, have gone back to TD, and booked the Holiday Cruise ages ago as a special treat. We were hoping the Grand would keep something close to the original times, but guess we're out of luck. We were really looking forward to this cruise, but not so much now.  Were there many unhappy guests on your cruise, RDC1?

we had requested a table for 2. was assigned to a table for 6. the head waiter indicated that there were no tables for 2 in the dining room. did not see any when walking around that dining room.there are 2 tops in the mid ship dining room. however 1 of those is early td and late anytime and the other is anytime all of the time.

have not encountered the lack of 2 tops in the rear dining room on any of the other ships, only the grand. the head waiter seemed to confirm that the grand was somewhat unique in that way. as it is in many other ways.

as far as if there were unhappy people. did not hear anyone complaining. noticed 2 couples (2 different tables) show up late for early td the first night, but were on time after that.

you might try talking the maitre d into making a 4 top into a 2 top, if there is room in late TD.

anytime seemed to have a lot of 2 tops. so probably not an issue if dining late.

Edited by RDC1
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 2:07 PM, RDC1 said:

Do you happen to recall what times Traditional MDR dining was? 

On 12/1/2018 at 5:45 AM, Omega1 said:

For information, here’s our recent experience on CB. We originally opted for AD but after reading about changes to show times we changed to late traditional dining (7.15pm). On board, late TD was actually 7.45pm (but doors opened at 7.35pm). So, for us, it worked well - early show 6.45 to 7.30pm and then straight to dinner. The second show was at 8.45pm for early TD.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:28 PM, RDC1 said:

just off Grand. showtimes 6:30 and 8:30.

Could walk in for early show 5 minutes before and still able to find seats. unlike pre change where theater would be full 20 minutes before.

changes worked well for shows.

had 5pm dining, was able to make 6:30 shows.

On the CB we always ate early in either the DR or buffet & didn't have any problem making the first show at 6:45 PM. 

• Like 1

I do hope the wizards at Princess are monitoring this thread!  I have read through all 14 pages and have not noticed ONE poster happy to have a 5:00 dining time (and 4:45 - seriously?...). We have over 70 cruises on many different cruise lines and have always confirmed traditional early seating. (6 PM for the past 20 years).  We got an email re our 49 night SA cruise in Feb to say our dining time will be 5 PM.  This means as elite passengers we will miss our traditional cocktail in the elite lounge, something that we always enjoy.  Called the TA immediately to get dining time changed to 7:15, only to be put on a waiting list.  Princess, why exactly are you doing this when clearly the majority, if not all, your passengers are against it?  Certainly not for the passengers benefit, most of whom are paying big $$$ for the insult!  Guess our cruising days are coming to an end.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 8:04 PM, Mediaspot said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Princess is changing, and NOT for the better... I hope they monitor Cruise Critic threads, and other social media, and realize that a LOT of loyal cruisers are voicing their displeasure with many policy changes... Not just the unannounced changes in dining times but many other issues too numerous to mention. Look at the threads for upcoming cruises... Mine is December 13-23 on the Grand out of San Francisco to Mexico... Read the posts and notice how many have negative comments about Princess and the ways they have been treated as customers. This will be my 29th voyage with Princess and, depending on how it goes, may be my last.

Thom.

Could not agree more!  They do not deserve our loyalty!!

On 10/30/2018 at 7:12 PM, Astro Flyer said:

My TA finally received an email from their VP of North America sales 2 weeks after making the changes.

Here’s how he explains why the changes were made:  based on continual guest feedback with a vast majority asking for earlier dining times, we made the decision to adjust our traditional dining times to accommodate the demand for early seating in our Traditional Dining rooms only”.

Early TD has been most popular for several years however never heard of anyone who wanted it at 4:45/5:00.  Being confirmed for 6:00 TD and getting it at 5:30 certainly didn’t make me happy.

As has been posted the changes are probably an attempt to get passengers to dine later & 7:15 isn’t too bad.  However that comes as the result of an hour earlier early TD dining time which is too early.  It’s merely my opinion but based on CC discussions the vast majority think the new early TD times are too early.

They might have to change Afternoon Tea to Lunchtime Tea? 

.......or maybe call 5:00 “late lunch”??  Bad enough they do this to folks in nursing homes!

We just got off of the Crown.  We did Anytime dining as we were traveling with family who like that. However, I wanted to report that early traditional on the Crown was 5:00 pm in one dining room, and 5:15 in another.  Late seating was 7:15 pm.  The odd thing was that the buffet and the speciality restaurants still just opened at 5:30.  Anytime started at 5:15 pm.  The bad thing also in Anytime was that service on multiple nights was actually so fast we were practically pushed through dinner.  I'm not sure what Princess is trying to do. If they think folks want to eat early, then open anytime dining early at 5 pm and the buffet.  Keep traditional at the regular normal times.  I of course put all that in my survey.  We are on the Crown in Europe next summer and I hope that they move the traditional times back. 

• Like 1