You are only allowed to send 0 messages per day

4 hours ago, gnome12 said:

It might be functionality to be added later. (It was the same on the old version; there seemed to be a function but you couldn't use it.)

Doubtful.  As PP noted, it's been years since Cruise Critic had messaging capability enabled.  Their attitude is "this is a place for shared information, no behind the scenes discussions".

8 minutes ago, utahtea said:

I wonder if the message system is in place incase the moderators ever needed to contact us.  

Yes, the administrators can use it to contact us directly.  At least they did me once.  But that was on another site.  

The message function is inherent to this sites setup.  It's just not enabled by the powers that be for use by the people.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 5:30 AM, bemis12 said:

I don't believe CC has ever supported sending messages.  They want all the discussion to be public and on the boards.

True. But I have to wonder why the option is even visible to members if it is disabled? Just eliminate it completely and therefore eliminate the confusion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joepeka said:

True. But I have to wonder why the option is even visible to members if it is disabled? Just eliminate it completely and therefore eliminate the confusion.

There probably isn’t that capability in the software they are using.

Thanks all,

I had no idea it was never a function, I only tried to send my first message and thought it was strange I have a zero message allowance, it would be better if it said "Messaging disabled on this site" or something on those lines.

So, I recently met another CC member on a cruise and promised I'd send her contact info.  I don't want to do that publically, and thought I could do it through CC messaging.  Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?  BTW, the "search members" functionality also appears to not work.

2 hours ago, SandJCruiser said:

Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?

I think you'll have to do it by exchanging email addresses via CC forum posts. You may need to set up a new throwaway email address to start this process, only giving out your real address through that throwaway address once you've established to your satisfaction that you are communicating with the person you were thinking of. And I think that it was always like this on CC - there's never been a private messaging function so far as I can recall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SandJCruiser said:

So, I recently met another CC member on a cruise and promised I'd send her contact info.  I don't want to do that publically, and thought I could do it through CC messaging.  Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?  BTW, the "search members" functionality also appears to not work.

I think the search members function is broken until "search indexes" have been built. A process that is going to take a significant amount of time.

Having a messaging function is convenient. But it can also be troublesome as one can receive many unsolicited messages.

• 2 weeks later...

Has a Mod or Admin confirmed that the message function should or shouldn't work?  I too want to contact someone I was on a cruise with last week and don't want to put my email addy on an open forum.  TIA

31 minutes ago, jefa said:

Has a Mod or Admin confirmed that the message function should or shouldn't work?

I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I don't know why it should need confirmation: there has never (at least in the last 15 years or so) been private messaging on CC, and nobody has reported that the function works on the new software.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I don't know why it should need confirmation: there has never (at least in the last 15 years or so) been private messaging on CC, and nobody has reported that the function works on the new software.

I know that on the old forum there was never any private messaging, which was why I was surprised to see it so prominently showing on this one.  Are you saying that it is impossible to take the option off then?

5 minutes ago, jefa said:

... which was why I was surprised to see it so prominently showing on this one.

Yes, I think a lot of people were surprised to see it showing, and then surprised again when it didn't work. But it seems to be consistent experience, at least, that it doesn't work - which is also consistent with long-standing CC policy. Past versions of software have also included private messaging, but CC has always had it turned off.

Private messaging wasn't encrypted in the previous software and the previous software has had the PM's hacked multiple times on a wide variety of sites.  

The mods did send a PM on the old system about the upcoming changes.

It is a security and liability risk to provide messaging on a board available to a lot of different countries with different privacy laws.

The Mods still use the current PM system to communicate with members now and then. I received a PM from the mods on the new software and was able to reply.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/19/2018 at 8:28 AM, ziggyuk said:

When I try to send a message to another member I get the following:

message.JPG.473e35333668f596dd7ed95901aa481b.JPG

Any idea why I can't send messages?

Same issue for me to.  Please "message" me if you find and answer. :)

9 minutes ago, raphael360 said:

Same issue for me to.  Please "message" me if you find and answer. :)

A search of this forum will find a number of posts that clearly indicate messaging is not supported and has not been supported for many years.

16 minutes ago, broberts said:

A search of this forum will find a number of posts that clearly indicate messaging is not supported and has not been supported for many years.

We can reply to messages from admins and receive messages from admins, we can't create messages to each other or to admins