Must see and eat in Lisbon ??? :)

Hello ! 

Will cruise over the holidays and will be in Lisbon on Jan 3rd .

We like castles, fortresses, churches, old towns and food and we have 7-8 hours so what it's top 3 things to do and a restaurant with very yummy traditional food ???

Thank you and I really appreciate any recommendations and advice 🙂 

3 hours ago, EuroFan said:

Hello !   Will cruise over the holidays and will be in Lisbon on Jan 3rd .   We like castles, fortresses, churches, old towns and food and we have 7-8 hours so what it's top 3 things to do and a restaurant with very yummy traditional food ???  Thank you and I really appreciate any recommendations and advice 🙂 

WOW!!  You have a super difficult challenge.  To have only 7-8 hours in Lisbon is near "Mission Impossible".  As detailed in my live/blog below, we had five days in Lisbon last year before starting our cruise up to NW Spain, France, etc.  Check out my live/blog, plus a few sample visuals from wonderful Lisbon below.  At the top of my list would be the Jeronimos Monastery.  Great history and architecture there. With so much to see in Lisbon, try to have a guide who can make your logistics more efficient.  Plus, a good guide can help get your around dealing with long lines, explain what you seeing, why it's important, etc.  If any added questions, just post on my live/blog and I will be happy to respond. Good luck!!  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences.  Now at 25,554 views.  Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Here is only a small sampling of some sights in lovely and charming Like the sunny blue skies?  Pictures three, four and five feature the Jeronimos Monastery, UNESCO World Heritage site, with its tomb of Vasco da Gama, etc..  This site is amazing and very busy!! I would rate it as a "must-see".:  

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201548_zpsn7bano7d.jpg

June%202017A%201547_zps1ciugdwe.jpg

June%202017A%201549_zpsfkbma0cv.jpg

June%202017A%201552_zpsxdnoc3jb.jpg

June%202017A%201551_zpshtbqoti1.jpg

June%202017A%201543_zpsowhenzlq.jpg

•  
  •  
Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi

With such a short time you should consider a Tuk Tuk tour for about 3 of those hours. If not familiar with a tuk tuk they are motorized vehicles quite like a mini VW bus - typically  open air with some tarp covers, one driver/guide and holds 2-4-6 persons. Many companies have a standard 1-2 hour tour but you can customize up to 4-6 hours picking neighborhoods from their standard tours. Good idea to pre-book something. You should try to include Castello Sao Jorge and drop by the Se (Lisbon's main cathederal). If you arrange it properly have them drive you out to Belem (about 10-15 miles east) to see the the Torre, the Discoverers monument and see the outside and grounds of Jeronimos Monastery - you will not have time to tour the inside. Using the TT will maximize your limited time. Have them leave you at the waterfront near Praca Do Commercio  and take about 1-1.5 hours  to walk up Rua de Augusta for some shopping, eating etc. At the end you'll be near Carmo area and upper Baixa - research a restaurant for yourself when you arrive at end of Augusta - many many choices you'll need to do the leg work on that. Easy to catch a cab up at Rossio Sq to get wherever you have to go next.

We just returned from a trip to Lisbon. Just loved it! One of our favorite restaurants, which is open for lunch some days, is As Velhas. Traditional Portuguese food, very reasonable. But make sure you try the national pastry, Pasteis de Nata - we still miss these back home! The Portuguese eat these at all times during the day - breakfast, mid-morning snack, afternoon snack, etc. Have a great trip!

On 10/19/2018 at 4:19 PM, TLCOhio said:

WOW!!  You have a super difficult challenge.  To have only 7-8 hours in Lisbon is near "Mission Impossible".  As detailed in my live/blog below, we had five days in Lisbon last year before starting our cruise up to NW Spain, France, etc.  Check out my live/blog, plus a few sample visuals from wonderful Lisbon below.  At the top of my list would be the Jeronimos Monastery.  Great history and architecture there. With so much to see in Lisbon, try to have a guide who can make your logistics more efficient.  Plus, a good guide can help get your around dealing with long lines, explain what you seeing, why it's important, etc.  If any added questions, just post on my live/blog and I will be happy to respond. Good luck!!  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences.  Now at 25,554 views.  Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Here is only a small sampling of some sights in lovely and charming Like the sunny blue skies?  Pictures three, four and five feature the Jeronimos Monastery, UNESCO World Heritage site, with its tomb of Vasco da Gama, etc..  This site is amazing and very busy!! I would rate it as a "must-see".:  

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201548_zpsn7bano7d.jpg

June%202017A%201547_zps1ciugdwe.jpg

June%202017A%201549_zpsfkbma0cv.jpg

June%202017A%201552_zpsxdnoc3jb.jpg

June%202017A%201551_zpshtbqoti1.jpg

June%202017A%201543_zpsowhenzlq.jpg

•  
  •  

Thanks for the info and pictures ! I think we will book a Tuk Tuk and go see Castelo de S Jorge , Lisbon Cathedral & Cloisters, Alfama ( Old Town ), ride Tram 28 and go up with Santa Justa Elevator  🙂 

On 10/22/2018 at 12:06 PM, grnrab said:

Hi

With such a short time you should consider a Tuk Tuk tour for about 3 of those hours. If not familiar with a tuk tuk they are motorized vehicles quite like a mini VW bus - typically  open air with some tarp covers, one driver/guide and holds 2-4-6 persons. Many companies have a standard 1-2 hour tour but you can customize up to 4-6 hours picking neighborhoods from their standard tours. Good idea to pre-book something. You should try to include Castello Sao Jorge and drop by the Se (Lisbon's main cathederal). If you arrange it properly have them drive you out to Belem (about 10-15 miles east) to see the the Torre, the Discoverers monument and see the outside and grounds of Jeronimos Monastery - you will not have time to tour the inside. Using the TT will maximize your limited time. Have them leave you at the waterfront near Praca Do Commercio  and take about 1-1.5 hours  to walk up Rua de Augusta for some shopping, eating etc. At the end you'll be near Carmo area and upper Baixa - research a restaurant for yourself when you arrive at end of Augusta - many many choices you'll need to do the leg work on that. Easy to catch a cab up at Rossio Sq to get wherever you have to go next.

Love this ! Thank you so much ! Sounds like what I had in mind 🙂 

On 10/25/2018 at 12:14 PM, TGBoss said:

We just returned from a trip to Lisbon. Just loved it! One of our favorite restaurants, which is open for lunch some days, is As Velhas. Traditional Portuguese food, very reasonable. But make sure you try the national pastry, Pasteis de Nata - we still miss these back home! The Portuguese eat these at all times during the day - breakfast, mid-morning snack, afternoon snack, etc. Have a great trip!

Thanks ! Will check the place up 🙂 

We've just returned from 4 nights in Lisbon prior to our 25 day Wind Surf cruise. We ate at Bairro do Avillez the last evening of our stay in Lisbon. It has several eateries within the one location and the tapas and wine were delicious! We went one evening but they were booked for the restaurant we had decided to eat at so we made reservations and went back the following evening. It's quite an interesting place and very popular with the locals.

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2018 at 1:29 PM, EuroFan said:

Hello ! 

Will cruise over the holidays and will be in Lisbon on Jan 3rd .

We like castles, fortresses, churches, old towns and food and we have 7-8 hours so what it's top 3 things to do and a restaurant with very yummy traditional food ???

Thank you and I really appreciate any recommendations and advice 🙂 

We've been to Lisbon on 4 cruises, starting in 2003 and last in 2014.  It's one of my favorite European ports!  We used the Hop-On, Hop-Off bus on our first time there, which gets you out from the older area along the river (that's my favorite area, though).  We've also done a private walking tour through our Roll Call, which was excellent.  First, I would strongly recommend getting a guidebook (either buy or borrow from the library) to orient yourself as there are various distinct districts, such as Alfama.  The old part of the city is around Commerce Square, a vast flat area along the river, surrounded by government buildings.  The terrain rises sharply from there on all three sides, hence the tram shown in TLCOhio's photos.  On the right hand ridge is a fortress and around it is a very old neighborhood which is interesting and includes the cathedral in TLC's photos..  On the opposite side is an upscale and beautiful residential area.  The shopping area spreads out and up from the center of the square.  As to food, my favorite is their custard tart!  Enjoy!

• Haha 1

We took a tuktuk ride from the dock, no need to book. Not cheap but we had a private tour and he took us through the narrow streets, we were amazed how hilly it us. He also showed us the restaurant CR7 (Christiano Ronaldos place) which may be of interest to you as a EuroFan! He then took us out to Belem which us not to be missed. The larger tuktuk take 4 people if you want to share.

4 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

We took a tuktuk ride from the dock, no need to book. Not cheap but we had a private tour and he took us through the narrow streets, we were amazed how hilly it us. He also showed us the restaurant CR7 (Christiano Ronaldos place) which may be of interest to you as a EuroFan! He then took us out to Belem which us not to be missed. The larger tuktuk take 4 people if you want to share.

Thanks for the review!!! I booked 2 tours with them so around 4 hours 🙂 Super excited ! 🙂

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2018 at 12:37 PM, BarbinMich said:

We've been to Lisbon on 4 cruises, starting in 2003 and last in 2014.  It's one of my favorite European ports!  We used the Hop-On, Hop-Off bus on our first time there, which gets you out from the older area along the river (that's my favorite area, though).  We've also done a private walking tour through our Roll Call, which was excellent.  First, I would strongly recommend getting a guidebook (either buy or borrow from the library) to orient yourself as there are various distinct districts, such as Alfama.  The old part of the city is around Commerce Square, a vast flat area along the river, surrounded by government buildings.  The terrain rises sharply from there on all three sides, hence the tram shown in TLCOhio's photos.  On the right hand ridge is a fortress and around it is a very old neighborhood which is interesting and includes the cathedral in TLC's photos..  On the opposite side is an upscale and beautiful residential area.  The shopping area spreads out and up from the center of the square.  As to food, my favorite is their custard tart!  Enjoy!

Thank you for the suggestions 🙂 

On 10/30/2018 at 5:40 PM, Ski Mom 2 said:

We've just returned from 4 nights in Lisbon prior to our 25 day Wind Surf cruise. We ate at Bairro do Avillez the last evening of our stay in Lisbon. It has several eateries within the one location and the tapas and wine were delicious! We went one evening but they were booked for the restaurant we had decided to eat at so we made reservations and went back the following evening. It's quite an interesting place and very popular with the locals.

Thanks ! Will check it out 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...

On a cruise stop a few years ago we took tram 15 on the busy street outside the port area to Belem. We visited the Belem tower, inside the monastery, the monument, the coach museum and had the Portuguese egg tarts before heading back to the ship. We still had over a hour to spend at a port side restaurant using their WiFi. 

The custard tarts several folks have mentioned are available in Lisbon itself--you don't have to go to Belem to get one.  I've gotten them at bakeries, which are plentiful as I recall.  One can even buy them in a grocery store in Ponta del Gado in the Azores, although not as good as the fresh ones.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
On 12/3/2018 at 1:40 PM, BarbinMich said:

The custard tarts several folks have mentioned are available in Lisbon itself--you don't have to go to Belem to get one.  I've gotten them at bakeries, which are plentiful as I recall.  One can even buy them in a grocery store in Ponta del Gado in the Azores, although not as good as the fresh ones.

It's like Krispy Kremes:  you can buy them in the supermarket, but its not the same as when "the light is on" :classic_wink: