Live Blog – Silhouette Nov 3 – Beaches to Broadway – Pull up a seat and Join

Jim_Iain

Jim, I have been following your journey with great enjoyment, your blogs are so informative and so much fun! Thanks for the beautiful pictures of our lovely Boston. I'm impressed you covered so much ground in one day! Please come back, there is so much to see and do in the Boston area, and hopefully, the weather will be warmer.

• Like 1

Nice bright sunny day as we head for New York.   We have been invited to the Helipad for arrival into the Big Apple.   Hope it stays nice as tomorrow is suppose to be rainy.

Edited by Jim_Iain

20 minutes ago, soccermommy said:

Jim, I have been following your journey with great enjoyment, your blogs are so informative and so much fun! Thanks for the beautiful pictures of our lovely Boston. I'm impressed you covered so much ground in one day! Please come back, there is so much to see and do in the Boston area, and hopefully, the weather will be warmer.

Thanks so much for the invitation.    We really loved our short visit to Boston.   The city is really beautiful and the people so friendly.    One thing that was really impressive was how clean and well maintained everything was. 

42 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

More bar menus.   This time from Passport Bar

56A52379-0BCA-4E7C-86AD-1FFB136FC694.thumb.jpeg.1f9a9dbb48eb0b66c7f22a34bccf4e03.jpeg

4CF95F44-9A6C-4BDE-BC2E-3090D5D18581.thumb.jpeg.547df51dc696e7ccb72d16e4bd26ae4f.jpeg

23A23D52-178A-4BF2-A83E-CAAED53D7804.thumb.jpeg.295acd9d161211ff72e75c61a66a09ee.jpeg

C1D6C780-9496-479E-A806-885EBDD97D6F.thumb.jpeg.7441f0338ebb0fa5c9ebb6850aea040a.jpeg

C8500026-D867-4A5C-8A09-B96583FE65AC.thumb.jpeg.457910bf95e76d93d217ab6bfe2f7a17.jpeg

C28B65E1-9190-4BD0-8CC5-3F98CAA4661E.thumb.jpeg.4c3735bf23f2f138b874d0ce753a5e03.jpeg

B63EEC84-9B44-4EE5-B73F-B60A3A7EEAC6.thumb.jpeg.59864b54d009668ccf942c7d27b246c0.jpeg

28FBE08E-54D2-44E0-9FBC-FEC9510713A5.thumb.jpeg.bdc822443951bdcef9b0d9346a7f9f6f.jpeg

20918535-4098-42CB-8D36-BB92C6CA90C5.thumb.jpeg.fb1c24c7ebf914e5f37dd341ab3d0ecd.jpeg

BB874893-0B17-4D79-A7D3-9C945EA7AF39.thumb.jpeg.4b6700419b1c0655e6e82184bfcfd14f.jpeg

Enjoy your cruise! We'll be on our first Celebrity cruise in February - on the Silhouette.

Is my understanding correct that the drinks included in the Classic package have gone up from 9$ to 11$ per serving and that when you have a Classic Drinks package (as part of the free perks) - you don't need to pay gratuities on top of this?

Celebrity website still says 9$ per serving..

46 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I asked Alvkin last night and he said he other name is Anthony.   He didn’t know another Anthony. 

It is probably the same person. He is the most efficient, pleasant, knowledgeable waiter I have had on any cruise that I have taken. I so hope he is there in three weeks. Thank you for checking.

Just went back and reread your initial  post. The person you are referring to is an assistant waiter. Anthony is definitely a waiter, not an assistant. Then probably not the same person. 

Edited by Straughn

49 minutes ago, amitje said:

Enjoy your cruise! We'll be on our first Celebrity cruise in February - on the Silhouette.

Is my understanding correct that the drinks included in the Classic package have gone up from 9$ to 11$ per serving and that when you have a Classic Drinks package (as part of the free perks) - you don't need to pay gratuities on top of this?

Hi

I was wondering about that....

On the drink menu posted by Jim..

The Boddington's,Newcastle Brown and Guinness are showing as $9.50.

On my Eclipse cruise last month they were all on the Classic package,all less than $9.

If it was still $9 they wouldn't be now.

JC

1 hour ago, amitje said:

Those passport bar menus look like they might be old ones from when the ship was sailing in Europe.

The classic limit says $11 but the Premium says $15.50.

When the limit was $13 - if you added 18% gratuity that came to $15.34 and in Europe the gratuity is included in the drink prices rather than adding it on afterwards so the limit on the packages is raised accordingly.

I know they've raised the limit in the US to $15 but the $15.50 is odd.

Have noticed the Christmas/Holiday street markets are in full swing in NYC.   Quite a few are in walking distance to the ship, Columbus Circle and Bryant Park.

The outdoor ones are open to 8 pm.    The one in Grand Central Station is indoors and open later.   I would imagine there won’t be many passengers on the ship this evening.    We have a favorite Italian restaurant on 48th St so we will be there tonight.    The weather services rare now saying the late evenings rains will end by 11 AM on Tuesday so we have a decent second day in NYC.

• Thanks 1

Beautiful calm seas this morning. A Little nippy but enjoyable. 

D913AA64-E608-4CC3-82F6-592FC4C2B531.thumb.jpeg.585eabae6c91db638c026e9e19610f8e.jpeg

Received an invite for the Helipad for arrival into NY.  We are suppose to pass under bridge and Statue of Liberty around 2:00.  Lady Liberty will be Port Side of ship. 

C3442BF8-1293-4B7E-8C1A-919CCB5A1096.thumb.jpeg.606944b538ebb5816dd8ef7c359b548c.jpeg

2 hours ago, Straughn said:

It is probably the same person. He is the most efficient, pleasant, knowledgeable waiter I have had on any cruise that I have taken. I so hope he is there in three weeks. Thank you for checking.

Just went back and reread your initial  post. The person you are referring to is an assistant waiter. Anthony is definitely a waiter, not an assistant. Then probably not the same person. 

Yea.  Definitely not the same.  I’ll look at lunch.  I don’t recall seeing him.  They did say they are one waiter short unless one came aboard yesterday. 

43 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Have noticed the Christmas/Holiday street markets are in full swing in NYC.   Quite a few are in walking distance to the ship, Columbus Circle and Bryant Park.

The outdoor ones are open to 8 pm.    The one in Grand Central Station is indoors and open later.   I would imagine there won’t be many passengers on the ship this evening.    We have a favorite Italian restaurant on 48th St so we will be there tonight.    The weather services rare now saying the late evenings rains will end by 11 AM on Tuesday so we have a decent second day in NYC.

Thanks that sounds wonderful.   

Not  sure what we will do tonight.   OpenTable is always a great resource for booking reservations.  

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Received an invite for the Helipad for arrival into NY.  We are suppose to pass under bridge and Statue of Liberty around 2:00.  Lady Liberty will be Port Side of ship. 

I hope you have a beautiful sail in, Jim. We had the good fortune to sail around Lady Liberty when leaving Cape Liberty last summer (on Summit). I’d love to sail in, as you’re doing. Can’t wait to see your photos!

Edited by Silkroad

I’ve been following this with great interest. Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of this - it’s been great to read as I’m going on my first Celebrity cruise in July on the Silhouette. 

Looking at price lists from the bars has been interesting and worrying; we got the Classic Package thrown in but I can’t see any rosé wine that comes under the $9 threshold!

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t remember drinks being that expensive. We’ve had the premium package the last few sailings but I thought beers were around $4 or $4.50 and maybe $5-$6 for imports. We last cruised in April. The 11/30 sailing we’re next on was ridiculous for the go best promo at $1200 per person so we booked the a la carte price as we don’t drink more than one a day and if we do have a drink before dinner is at michaels club anyway. Maybe they’re raising prices to justify the packages?

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Menu for Sushi on 5

5B6CBC08-B81A-4E04-B033-ED9EF6A3EC3B.thumb.jpeg.830f498364345d17ad040e3c6ccbf67b.jpeg

Thanks for sharing Jim and I am enjoying following your cruise. Andy and I love Sushi on 5 and like to pop in for a light lunch of gyoza and sliders and a shared Californian roll washed down with one or two Mangotini's - bliss.

Enjoy New York!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ischeer said:

Just noticed the alcohol sales restrctions in the Daily.  So I guess you'll have to have your Daily Cocktail Special Manhattan before your dock.

Doesn't apply if you have a package or CC coupons.