Unlimited internet

Cruiser Nonna

Will be sailing on the Journey and am Discover Plus which gives 120 minutes complimentary but want to do the unlimited - I know how both Celebrity and RCCL handle it - they give that discount of minutes off the package price - just spoke with Reservations and they say they do not - to use up the complimentary minutes first and then purchase the plan - Has anyone done this or suggestion - was hoping that there was a discount on the package but not - any advice greatly appreciated - Thank You

8 minutes ago, Cruiser Nonna said:

Will be sailing on the Journey and am Discover Plus which gives 120 minutes complimentary but want to do the unlimited - I know how both Celebrity and RCCL handle it - they give that discount of minutes off the package price - just spoke with Reservations and they say they do not - to use up the complimentary minutes first and then purchase the plan - Has anyone done this or suggestion - was hoping that there was a discount on the package but not - any advice greatly appreciated - Thank You

I believe you were misinformed.  We were able to use our included minutes as a discount on the unlimited plan in January, and the website still shows that option as part of the LCV benefit:

Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 1.11.36 PM.png

"120 free WiFi minutes or $130 towards a full voyage unlimited package"

Cruiser Nonna, 

Do not start using your "free minutes" at all. Go to Guest Relations on embark day or the following day with your bit of paper stating your discount code and loyalty level .... It will be in an envelope in your cabin. They will then take the full discount off your unlimited IT package. If you are Discoverer Plus then you only have to pay about $10 for totally unlimited internet access throughout your cruise, once they have deducted your discount. They charge you for it then refund it to your OBA. 

Of course, whether you can connect to the Internet at all times is a completely different matter! 

I think the person in reservations has been on the funny juice.  Why would you need to use up your free minutes if you were getting an unlimited package?  Hmmmm.  Of course someone else in your cabin could have those free minutes if they too weren’t buying an unlimited package as well.  The complimentary minutes with the access code don’t disappear once you’ve bought the unlimited package,

Phil

Thank you so much for your help - I had questioned the res agent and she even put me on hold to check with someone else and when I said it was strange she said they "use a different computer system than Celebrity" so it does not allow i - so thinking maybe the "juice" is the explanation.  Sorry that I did not check online regarding benefits first because it so clearly states the plan.  Please know how much I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and now this seems much more realistic.

Thank you again!

On 10/26/2018 at 2:31 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

I think the person in reservations has been on the funny juice.  Why would you need to use up your free minutes if you were getting an unlimited package?  Hmmmm.  Of course someone else in your cabin could have those free minutes if they too weren’t buying an unlimited package as well.  The complimentary minutes with the access code don’t disappear once you’ve bought the unlimited package,

Phil

So to clarify...my husband and I are both Discoverer Plus.  Could he use his complimentary minutes for the first few days and then I purchase the unlimited plan for the remainder of the voyage and still get my $130 discount?

Laura

2 minutes ago, BuddyR said:

So to clarify...my husband and I are both Discoverer Plus.  Could he use his complimentary minutes for the first few days and then I purchase the unlimited plan for the remainder of the voyage and still get my $130 discount?

Laura

Yep.  Just log on and buy the unlimited package and take your Plus letter to Guest Relations so they can credit back your discount of $130 and your husband can use his 120 minutes.  I'm assuming you aren't in a suite.  If you are it's $150 discount and 235 minutes.

Phil

I am also to understand that if you have both status and suite free minutes, you can only use one or the other?  Is this the case if you want to use your minutes for a discount off a package too?  eg. can I use free minutes from the loyalty program and then use my suite credit of $150 to buy an unlimited plan?

Thanks uktog.  I thought I read somewhere that you have to pick either the loyalty perks or the suite perks, but not both.  I'm just trying to clarify so I can best use my OBC and get the internet use I need.

10 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Unlimited internet is $19.95 a day, so the cost depends on the cruise length.

Thank you for the quick response HGC.  I was hoping that there would be a discounted rate for weekly or bi-weekly commitment.   

Cheers....

• 1 month later...

Just so I am clear... A suite brings $150 discount off the daily cost of unlimited Wi-Fi ($19.99) and 235 free minutes to try to be saved and used by another device?

On a 15 night voyage, this would be $299.25 - $150.... $149.25?

Discoverer plus would be less than that in terms of discount?

4 hours ago, Lookyboy said:

Just so I am clear... A suite brings $150 discount off the daily cost of unlimited Wi-Fi ($19.99) and 235 free minutes to try to be saved and used by another device?

On a 15 night voyage, this would be $299.25 - $150.... $149.25?

Discoverer plus would be less than that in terms of discount?

Yes, the Discoverer Plus discount off an unlimited package is $130.

I appreciate that Azamara lets us exchange our minutes for a discount on the unlimited package--to me that's one of the best perks any of the cruise lines offer.

• Like 1

It seems strange that people on a cruise spend hours online.  This discussion is petty. Perhaps Azamara should include unlimited internet like other premium cruises.  Oceania, Viking, etc. include unlimited wifi per cabin/suite.  The benefits as discoverer plus are not as good as the same level elite plus on Celebrity.  Isn't Azamara supposed to be more deluxe than Celebrity?  Each time that I sail on Azamara, the discoverer plus benefits are fewer.  Would it cost azamara too much to include wifi?  I don't use most of the included minutes.  I am on a cruise.  I turn my phone off and leave it in the safe.  I check my emails once a day and sometimes I look for info on a port.

And I need to be connected all day so that I am still able to continue to negotiate and secure an urgent place in sheltered accommodation for my now frail Mum! Apologies to all who feel this is petty. Her challenges will not disappear  just because I am on a cruise, the timing of which is pretty rotten  for us.

I like to download my paid for newspaper every day, as well as making sure I keep up to date with Cruise Critic. Others are self-employed and need to keep in touch with customers and clients. Because the WiFi is pretty slow, the minutes soon get eaten up and if you end up paying by the minute it can get pretty expensive, so the full-cruise WiFi is the best way to make sure you’re OK for the cruise.

• Like 4

For those people who need to be connected, I understand your concerns. It may be better to check with your mobile carrier to see if there is a plan that gives you unlimited access both on the ship and off.   I have AT&T.  They have some good international and cruise line plans that work for me. Before you buy wifi from Azamara, check your carrier.    You may find a good plan that covers you everywhere.