Recent "incident" on Navigator

BillOh

I probably missed it, the search function here isn't working as I would have expected, but feel free to point me to an existing thread.   I saw the usual hype and hysteria on Facebook and other websites, but didn't see anything here.   A quick summary would suffice, I have been on Navigator before and would happily go again. 

On board, heard a Bravo around 2am. Went back to sleep. Woke up in Vigo. Ship immediately confirmed obc & 

Fcc.

The ports rearranged. Gutter press is full of hysteria, even saying we were not allowed off the ship... my credit card 💳 expenditures in Vigo shows otherwise!

now sitting in the sun drinking a beer! 

A21CA110-EA8F-4F17-9928-5FE647BF9EB8.jpeg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BillOh said:

I probably missed it, the search function here isn't working as I would have expected, but feel free to point me to an existing thread.   I saw the usual hype and hysteria on Facebook and other websites, but didn't see anything here.   A quick summary would suffice, I have been on Navigator before and would happily go again. 

Well, reading the article, here's my take.  First off, they would not have had to "close an entire fire zone" due to water ingress.  While the ship is underway, all of the watertight doors that divide the ship, below the waterline, into "watertight zones" (not fire zones), must be closed at all times.  This is why there are so many stairs in crew areas, to get up above the "partition deck" (the deck at the waterline) and back down into the next watertight compartment without opening the watertight doors.  So, even if the water completely flooded the entire compartment of the engine room where the stabilizer is, the ship would still be fine, as all cruise ships can survive with two adjacent compartments completely flooded.

If the stabilizer failure had actually created a "hole" in the hull, it would have taken a lot more than an overnight stay to fix it, so I'll discount that one.

If there were crew walking around with lifejackets at a code bravo, but with no passenger muster signal, then they were the ones panicking, since only the emergency teams (about 50 crew) should report to stations for a code bravo.

Glad to see that a passenger, with apparently no maritime technical experience, and no access to the equipment, space, or repair, has deemed it a "major problem".  And, trying to keep it "hush, hush" how?  They've informed the passengers what failed and that things were fixed, what are they hushing up?  Spanish Coast Guard and class society will have to have inspected the ship and the repairs, and given approval to sail from the port.

I would suspect that one of the seals that seal off the sea from the interior of the ship, started leaking, and the bang was the stabilizer retracting at sea speed.  While these kinds of leaks can be impressive, and you get real wet and cold working on them, they really don't leak that much water (certainly no more than one of the several bilge pumps could handle), and they made an emergency packing around the shaft seal.  When they got to port, I suspect they had divers go down and inflate bags around the shaft area to seal out most of the water, and they removed the seal from inside and renewed it, or made a more permanent repair until parts can be delivered.  She may sail without one stabilizer active for a while if necessary.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Well, that article seemed a little more comprehensive (at the time) than some I saw, they at least did some research of their own rather than regurgitating some internet report which seems to be the norm for today. Thanks for posting that one. I use to really like Newsweek back in the day when I bought Magazines. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, reading the article, here's my take. 

Thanks for your thoughts on that, while clearly stated as your thoughts, they frequently seem more sound than some sources' facts.   Apparently many of the news stories where largely based off what was reported on that "crew site"  My only other source was the typical social media sites. 

49 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, reading the article, here's my take.  First off, they would not have had to "close an entire fire zone" due to water ingress.  While the ship is underway, all of the watertight doors that divide the ship, below the waterline, into "watertight zones" (not fire zones), must be closed at all times.  This is why there are so many stairs in crew areas, to get up above the "partition deck" (the deck at the waterline) and back down into the next watertight compartment without opening the watertight doors.  So, even if the water completely flooded the entire compartment of the engine room where the stabilizer is, the ship would still be fine, as all cruise ships can survive with two adjacent compartments completely flooded.

If the stabilizer failure had actually created a "hole" in the hull, it would have taken a lot more than an overnight stay to fix it, so I'll discount that one.

If there were crew walking around with lifejackets at a code bravo, but with no passenger muster signal, then they were the ones panicking, since only the emergency teams (about 50 crew) should report to stations for a code bravo.

Glad to see that a passenger, with apparently no maritime technical experience, and no access to the equipment, space, or repair, has deemed it a "major problem".  And, trying to keep it "hush, hush" how?  They've informed the passengers what failed and that things were fixed, what are they hushing up?  Spanish Coast Guard and class society will have to have inspected the ship and the repairs, and given approval to sail from the port.

I would suspect that one of the seals that seal off the sea from the interior of the ship, started leaking, and the bang was the stabilizer retracting at sea speed.  While these kinds of leaks can be impressive, and you get real wet and cold working on them, they really don't leak that much water (certainly no more than one of the several bilge pumps could handle), and they made an emergency packing around the shaft seal.  When they got to port, I suspect they had divers go down and inflate bags around the shaft area to seal out most of the water, and they removed the seal from inside and renewed it, or made a more permanent repair until parts can be delivered.  She may sail without one stabilizer active for a while if necessary.

I always have 100% complete confidence in what you post, so I was relieved to see your response.

We will be on the Navigator Nov 23rd and I now have the peace of mind that all is okay.

As always...thank you for your accurate information!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

I always have 100% complete confidence in what you post, so I was relieved to see your response.

We will be on the Navigator Nov 23rd and I now have the peace of mind that all is okay.

Well, as always, I will say that this is my professional opinion, since I was obviously not there, and don't have all the facts.  But I would put it up against what some likely hotel crew posted on social media, especially after hearing some of the technical "explanations" I've heard cabin stewards give to passengers.

• Like 3

Just now, chengkp75 said:

Well, as always, I will say that this is my professional opinion, since I was obviously not there, and don't have all the facts.  But I would put it up against what some likely hotel crew posted on social media, especially after hearing some of the technical "explanations" I've heard cabin stewards give to passengers.

Your “professional opinion” is always good enough for me!!

Thank you!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Glad to see that a passenger, with apparently no maritime technical experience, and no access to the equipment, space, or repair, has deemed it a "major problem".  And, trying to keep it "hush, hush" how?  They've informed the passengers what failed and that things were fixed, what are they hushing up?  

I like the part where the passenger said "staying in flooded rooms."  

20 minutes ago, atb said:

To BillOh;  I was trying the "search" feature yesterday, and found it more complicated, and not as responsive as the old "search" function.  

Bummer.

In my first use of it, there seem to be a gap in time,  When I searched on Navigator it didn't show any posts newer than about 3 weeks, so I knew if there were threads about it, I missed them.  

4 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

That one caught my attention too. I hope things are well in Key West, Royal's redeployment team thwarted my attempt to come back there this summer 🙂

19 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Have a nice Thanksgiving cruise!  I should have thought to book this one, the 23rd is my wife's birthday. 

5 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Well, to give them some credit, that was coupled with a comment about "no pool access", so I believe they had some bad weather, closed the pools, and perhaps had some piping failures in the pax areas.

If they were flooded due to this problem, the engineers and all the crew living in that compartment would be doing their best "Das Boot" impressions.

Paul is moving to Seattle now, he hasn't been in Key West for a while, he was most recently in  NOLA.

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, to give them some credit, that was coupled with a comment about "no pool access", so I believe they had some bad weather, closed the pools, and perhaps had some piping failures in the pax areas.

If they were flooded due to this problem, the engineers and all the crew living in that compartment would be doing their best "Das Boot" impressions.

Paul is moving to Seattle now, he hasn't been in Key West for a while, he was most recently in  NOLA.

I haven't trained myself to look at the avatar and info there, I missed the progression in his info - 

• Conch Republic -> Big Easy -> Emerald City

I mainly remember getting info from him on our first KW visit back in 2010. Sure loved Black Fin Bistro!

11 minutes ago, BillOh said:

Have a nice Thanksgiving cruise!  I should have thought to book this one, the 23rd is my wife's birthday. 

Thanks Bill!  This is our first cruise from Miami, only the 3rd time I have flown on my life and my first time using Urber....so it will be an adventure for sure!!

Wishing your wife a Happy Birthday on the 23rd!!

I'm on this cruise currently but didn't notice anything outside of the ordinary that night except a significant increase in the ship rolling during the early hours that morning (seas were 4-5m the previous day, and forecast to increase to 6m the day that we arrived in vigo).

We were talking to someone from deck 2 who said that they were told not to return to their cabin for several hours, who also described water being pumped out via deck 4(the embarkation deck), but they weren't sure where it was bung pumped from. 

2 hours ago, BillOh said:

Was 2 or 3 threads on this yesterday, here's one. Click on "No Mention of...": 

'

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Thanks Bill!  This is our first cruise from Miami, only the 3rd time I have flown on my life and my first time using Urber....so it will be an adventure for sure!!

Wishing your wife a Happy Birthday on the 23rd!!

Enjoy,  I recently took the time to put all my cruises in a spreadsheet and realized I've sailed out of Miami 4 times, but since 2013.  I've yet to try Uber myself, but as a long distance bicycle rider, I may keep Uber XL in my back pocket in case I have a break down 20 miles from home. Enjoy your cruise.