New Mystery Meal Specialty Dining?

POA1

Thanks for the reference POA! I got hungry reading the list of fish dishes at the end! Would NOT be my DH's favorite, though. He only will eat deep -fried cod. shrimp, crab cakes, and my broiled salmon dish!

Edited by PSR

My DH is not a picky eater -- until recently on HAL.

He loves Salmon -- but some of the fish dishes that were served -- ugh!!  Very dry and tasteless.

I love Salmon as well.  Hate fish.

I make from scratch Salmon Mousse as an appetizer for Christmas eve and then we have duck cooked all day for dinner.

6 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I make from scratch Salmon Mousse as an appetizer for Christmas eve and then we have duck cooked all day for dinner.

Sounds good to me....but DH won't eat poultry either. Hard to cook for, which is why we usually go out (late) on holidays, so I can get the "standards" while he can get a steak.:classic_wink:

Edited by PSR

30 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Did you see the instructions on getting rid of the pop-up notification? 

Last night I saw you had posted it, but was too tired to attempt it. I was going to do it this morning.
Well, we all know about plans, and such. I will make the attempt tomorrow. (I hope) I do appreciate your prompt attempt to help.
Thank you. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

The $20 family meal?  We have regular Canaletto (multiple seatings, half hour increments from 5:30 - 9:00 PM) every day except Christmas Eve. Those are $15.  December 24th has 2 seatings, 5:15 & 8:15 PM, and it's $20.

My apologies. You are correct. I was looking at the $15 Canaletto meal.  It is only Christmas Eve for the Family Meal. :classic_blush:

1 hour ago, welovetocruise1234 said:

We have a New Years Day Brunch in the PG offered for $35 and a New Years Eve dinner in the PG for $49 offered on the Rotterdam.

Looks like yours are light on detail as well. Do you see any menus or is it the busted page? 

zoinks.jpg.b96ff6a8c7c0066c97a21e022a3f85c5.jpg

As of 11:30 AM, US Eastern Daylight Savings Time (UTC -5:00), there's no update.

Stuff like this is a pet peeve of mine. My firm has a bunch of restaurant and hospitality clients.  Adding or changing a menu on a website usually works like this:

1. The chefs create the menu.  This is almost always the first step because they need the ingredients list so they can provision their restaurants. I have to imagine this is the first step on a cruise ship as well because they've got more supply chain issues than a land-based restaurant.
  2. A hard copy of the menu is created. This allows them to promote the menu in-house and provides the source for the PDF with goes up on the website, assuming they use PDFs. (All my sites do.) This document is also the source material that the web people use for page creation.
  3. Photos of the dishes are taken. This is optional and sometimes happens concurrent with Step 1 above. If there aren't photos taken, stock photography is sometimes used, or they skip pictures altogether.
  4. The web page with the meal details is created. This typically consists of the meal description, photo or photos, an HTML version of the menu and a link to download the menu PDF, which was uploaded to the web server earlier.
  5. Navigation elements are added to the site. If there's a Menus page, a link to the page created in Step 4 goes up there. Often, a link to the new menu goes up on the site's navigation (menu bars at the top or side of page) to allow easier access to the menu. For example, all of our clients with Thanksgiving menus now have Thanksgiving links in their site's navigation.  For a complicated site like HAL has, or a resort hotel with a restaurant, the meal doesn't always make the navigation menus. Since these special HAL menus are only available on certain sailings, it makes sense that the starting link is only shown to the logged in, booked users.

Near as I can tell, they skipped right to step 5. I realize that this isn't a normal thing to be annoyed by, but on behalf of the web geek community, I hang my head in shame.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1

I also have all 3 "Mystery Dinners" listed for my  Zaandam cruise in December.  But I pre-booked Pinnacle for dinner on Jan 1, and thought that the 31st would probably be a Gala Night.  We have 4 of them on this cruise. If they are not going to list the menu, I'm not going to pre-book any of them.  Not all that keen on surprises.  

We have a New Years Day Brunch in the PG offered for $35 and a New Years Eve dinner in the PG for $49 offered on the Rotterdam.   (This is a quote from a prior poster regarding the Rotterdam.)  (Sorry, apparently I didn't do the quote thing correctly)

Interesting, we are on the Zuiderdam 12/26 -1/5.  I see the NYE dinner special listed in the PG, but we do not have a brunch listed on New Year's Day. 

Edited by TrolleyGirl
can't figure out the quote thingy

We will be on the Eurodam for Xmas and noticed the Cannaletto changes also. We played it safe and just booked the Pinnacle Grill for 12/24. I do like the Cannaletto for at least one meal in a week, zuppa de pesci is my favorite.

Sandy

Decided that I would keep checking the HAL site to see if the secret menu shows up. As of 9:45 AM EDST, nuttin'!

jinkies.jpg.0acf16cb74ff2aee304782a2ed571e0f.jpg

If you're thinking, "Hey. I bet POA1's just using this thread as an excuse to use Scooby-Doo graphics," you meddling kids are absolutely correct.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Greysandy said:

We will be on the Eurodam for Xmas and noticed the Cannaletto changes also. We played it safe and just booked the Pinnacle Grill for 12/24. I do like the Cannaletto for at least one meal in a week, zuppa de pesci is my favorite.

Sandy

That is also my favorite along with their beet/walnut salad......

Your Sunday update. Still no menu on the HAL site for the special Christmas Eve menu.

We're not really interested in it because we don't want to miss the second gala night, but the curiosity is driving me crazy. (Granted it's a short drive.)

• Haha 1

After a week of waiting for the menu to show up on the HAL website, I decided I would call Ships' Services and see if they had a copy of the menu. (Cue Shocked Face.) They do not and the nice woman I spoke to checked with her supervisor who also did not have a copy of the menu. It sounds like they've gotten a number of calls on it, but they have no information other than it's $20/pp, offered Christmas Eve and is going to be something Italian.

top-secret.jpg.151f388f0e05d6e392ce7d4cb7ad1e83.jpg

50 minutes ago, avian777 said:

Just out of curiosity, why did you use Australian Daylight Savings Time ("EDST") instead of US/North Anerican Eastern Standard Time ("EST")?

The eastern USA was on daylight savings time when I posted. EDST is the correct abbreviation for the time zone I was in at the time. Your profile shows that you are in the US. Have you really not seen EDST used before? I realize that it is interchangeable with EDT, but I dislike TLAs. 

For reference:

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/Eastern+Daylight+Savings+Time