New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

I did look into "The Key" benefits, but I don't think it is worth it on some ships.  We already have  a 2 device Voom package so I thought that since voom is included in The Key, I could cancel our package and get the key instead for only about $10 or $12 per day more, but Our 12 night cruise is on Brilliance and I find that many of the benefits will not apply because it does not have the facilities/activities.

I wonder if they will eventually reprice "The Key" at a more attractive rate for those ships that do not offer all the same possibilities of using the key than might be possible on the bigger ships.

dp

1 hour ago, dpostman said:

I did look into "The Key" benefits, but I don't think it is worth it on some ships.  We already have  a 2 device Voom package so I thought that since voom is included in The Key, I could cancel our package and get the key instead for only about $10 or $12 per day more, but Our 12 night cruise is on Brilliance and I find that many of the benefits will not apply because it does not have the facilities/activities.

I wonder if they will eventually reprice "The Key" at a more attractive rate for those ships that do not offer all the same possibilities of using the key than might be possible on the bigger ships.

dp

I'm curious too. Not having recently sailed Royal, I'm still getting my head around  the per diem drinks package  pricing thatcan vary from ship to ship, or even from cruise to cruise! Does the internet package also vary in price from ship to ship (I gather not all ships have the same speeds?)

5 minutes ago, dutchclogs said:

I'm curious too. Not having recently sailed Royal, I'm still getting my head around  the per diem drinks package  pricing thatcan vary from ship to ship, or even from cruise to cruise! Does the internet package also vary in price from ship to ship (I gather not all ships have the same speeds?)

So far, it seems that the onboard price for internet is the same for all ships:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55188055&postcount=105

1 hour ago, dutchclogs said:

That is probably correct, but I did ask the question to a recent cruise that was making   live review from Brilliance and she said the onboard speed was good.  I know Brilliance is sailing from Tampa this time of year and hoping this will be the same when it will be in the Baltic.

52 minutes ago, Kristy5279 said:

I already printed boarding pass, then decided to purchase the key. Do I need to reprint. I dont see were it says anything about the key. 

If mine doesn't show on my boarding pass, I plan to print out my order confirmation showing I purchased The Key. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dpostman said:

I believe when RCL sees how well this new perk is being received, the price will only go up.

Remember when J Rockets was free?   

1 hour ago, Kristy5279 said:

I already printed boarding pass, then decided to purchase the key. Do I need to reprint. I dont see were it says anything about the key. 

I purchased the key well before I received my documents/set sail pass but it is still not listed anywhere.

I’m leaving from Sydney and so the priority boarding doesn’t apply anyway but I would’ve liked it to have been shown somewhere just in case. I’ve only seen mention so far of the Key icon being on the actual Sea Pass card. 

Maybe check in the Additional Terms that your port isn’t one of the ones excluded for priority boarding?

21 minutes ago, Blondiemomm said:

I’ve booked the key for our sailing on Sunday. For our family it’s a great value. There are 100 offered on our sailing. 28 left. I’ll write a review once I return. 

Looking forward to hearing your review, When I call they could only tell me how many were left they said they could not access how many were offered. I wonder if they now have access to both or only when the time frame is closer to the cruise? Have a great cruise!!

7 minutes ago, aespo4 said:

Looking forward to hearing your review, When I call they could only tell me how many were left they said they could not access how many were offered. I wonder if they now have access to both or only when the time frame is closer to the cruise? Have a great cruise!!

I think I got lucky and had a rep who didn’t know they were not supposed to tell me? But 100 sounds about right if everyone offered the key will eat in Chop’s..I actually just spoke with a Manager who deals with The Key questions and he told me that reservations ARE required on Oasis ships but you can walk up last minute and seat in Key are if spots are left? There is obvious different stories when it comes to this. When you reserve the shows you reserve your key spot apparently in VIP. Only a couple shows need to be reserved. The others you just walk up and get the seat. I’ll find out exactly next week. 

• Like 2

It seems that a lot of the conversation about The Key program has morphed into a debate about cruise lines having the audacity to collect premium prices from customers by offering premium experiences.

Isn't that the very basis upon which the cruise industry was built? If we all just wanted to float on water for a bit at the lowest possible price, we could bult a raft and drag it to the landing. Personally, I want a better experience than that, and I'm willing to pay more to get more. If your personal level of willingness is not on par with mine, that's fine with me. If you want to pay more than me, and get more than me, you have that right, and I applaud you for it. If you're own personal level of willingness has you at a lower spending and expectation level than me, that's fine too. Just don't b!tch about other people who are willing to pay more, as if you are somehow being denied basic human dignity.

Edited by Tom.Kitten
  • Like 12

6 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

The problem is everybody else needs to subsidize your willingness to trump them for a few extra $🙄

So your "selfishness" has impact on everybody else... 👎

How are we subsidizing those that buy the Key?  I don't feel like I'm getting any 'less' because some people get on the ship first, or that they have added a few rows of seats that are now held until just before show time.  This is a small subset of passengers, and on any given sailing there could be way more suite/pinnacles than Key members, I'm guessing it won't even be a blip on my radar.  The only exception might be for the flowrider, but even that seems like it's having minimal impact so far.  Would I like to always have a front row seat at a concert?  Fly first class?  Sure, but the people able to to that aren't minimizing my experience nor do I feel like I'm subsidizing them in any way.  I'm still seeing the same show, still get from point A to point B.  And have less money out of my pocket.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 3

How do you get thru security using the suite/pinnacle line if you purchased the Key if it does not show up on your set sail pass?  Do you show your printed confirmation or do they have a list of how has signed up.  I don't recall the man monitoring the suite line last month holding any type of paperwork

18 minutes ago, rockmom said:

How are we subsidizing those that buy the Key?  I don't feel like I'm getting any 'less' because some people get on the ship first, or that they have added a few rows of seats that are now held until just before show time.  This is a small subset of passengers, and on any given sailing there could be way more suite/pinnacles than Key members, I'm guessing it won't even be a blip on my radar.  The only exception might be for the flowrider, but even that seems like it's having minimal impact so far.  Would I like to always have a front row seat at a concert?  Fly first class?  Sure, but the people able to to that aren't minimizing my experience nor do I feel like I'm subsidizing them in any way.  I'm still seeing the same show, still get from point A to point B.  And have less money out of my pocket.  

Just because you deny facts - doesn't change reality! 🙄

Just now, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Just because you deny facts - doesn't change reality! 🙄

You didn't answer the question though.  How exactly are those of us who don't buy the Key, subsidizing those who do?  I'm not denying any facts. Fact is--for me, that someone paying to leave the ship a few minutes ahead of me, doesn't cost me anything, not even in time, in the overall scheme of things and how much time I have to do things either in port, or on the ship.  I see no reason to be bitter about it.  Something a few people clearly are.     

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tom.Kitten said:

It seems that a lot of the conversation about The Key program has morphed into a debate about cruise lines having the audacity to collect premium prices from customers by offering premium experiences.

Isn't that the very basis upon which the cruise industry was built? If we all just wanted to float on water for a bit at the lowest possible price, we could bult a raft and drag it to the landing. Personally, I want a better experience than that, and I'm willing to pay more to get more. If your personal level of willingness is not on par with mine, that's fine with me. If you want to pay more than me, and get more than me, you have that right, and I applaud you for it. If you're own personal level of willingness has you at a lower spending and expectation level than me, that's fine too. Just don't b!tch about other people who are willing to pay more, as if you are somehow being denied basic human dignity.

amen