New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

Never rely on a company's loyalty. I've sailed the most with NCL until I got sick of their shenanigans.  I'm trying RCL this and next year. After that, who knows? The Key at $19.99 was worth it considering I was planning to get the VOOM Internet package anyway.

It's an odd situation. They like loyal customers, but they also take them for granted because they figure people generally don't change when they're set in their ways. Better to concentrate on getting new customers.

1 minute ago, Sizzlechest said:

Never rely on a company's loyalty. I've sailed the most with NCL until I got sick of their shenanigans.  I'm trying RCL this and next year. After that, who knows? The Key at $19.99 was worth it considering I was planning to get the VOOM Internet package anyway.

It's an odd situation. They like loyal customers, but they also take them for granted because they figure people generally don't change when they're set in their ways. Better to concentrate on getting new customers.

Just been advised that the price has been raised to $37.99 ... yikes!!

• Like 1

Just checked my upcoming cruises.  Not available on Adventure, $19.99 for Grandeur and $37.99 for Anthem.  (Theses price differences are hard for me to understand.). Not available for Grandeur for two cruises November, 2019.  Can’t believe that would be sold out given the clientele on Grandeur.  Katherine

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Anthem for June started at $19.99 when it was first introduced then jumped to $24.99. Now it is also $37.99. 

Would not pay $37.99! Luckily we purchased it for $19.99 for our Symphony cruise. I hope they get all the wrinkles out of it by then😊

1 hour ago, blueridgemama said:

Would not pay $37.99! Luckily we purchased it for $19.99 for our Symphony cruise. I hope they get all the wrinkles out of it by then😊

We were kind of interested in the key for our June anthem cruise for 24.99 only because we were both gonna get the WiFi and were debating if the $10 per day would be worth it. Once it jumped to 37.99 today it was game over for us. That’s insane. That’s more than the ultimate (edit: unlimited? Whatever it is) dining package. People who buy it at that price should really do the math first. Just my opinion. 

Edited by Skittles912

5 hours ago, jewopaho said:

Hi Al

that is an insane price

Barely worth the 19.99 I paid.  People in the Key line only bought it for one in the cabin.  Their IT department is horrible

jc

People are swearing to me that they only bought it for one in their cabin.  I am not saying everyone has the key on their card.  I have no idea.  I just know that people I have met and tend to believe tell me they bought it only for themselves.  There is no way for me to know.  I do know when I bought the key, I bought my key with the company credit card and my wife’s key with my personal credit card.  So, it is not hard for me to imagine not doing the second transaction.  I did it because I thought those were the rules.  That said, I believe the people I have talked to.

JC

37 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

People are swearing to me that they only bought it for one in their cabin.  I am not saying everyone has the key on their card.  I have no idea.  I just know that people I have met and tend to believe tell me they bought it only for themselves.  There is no way for me to know.  I do know when I bought the key, I bought my key with the company credit card and my wife’s key with my personal credit card.  So, it is not hard for me to imagine not doing the second transaction.  I did it because I thought those were the rules.  That said, I believe the people I have talked to.

JC

On the Symphony on March 9, the couple ahead of us in the line for Chops stated they had one Key and one paid reservation.

Then I do believe if they are allowing people the perks with 1 key like priority boarding we should all get refunds I paid for it so with my hip leg and feet issues I wouldn’t have to stand long getting on or off the ship and I will not be happy if people are boarding ahead of me in key line and have paid for it as well. I believe the best way to solve this is to make it mandatory to have print out of purchased key for your stateroom when you present the boarding passes and if you can’t prove you have it then be made to get in the right line. Sorry for the vent

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

People are swearing to me that they only bought it for one in their cabin.  I am not saying everyone has the key on their card.  I have no idea.  I just know that people I have met and tend to believe tell me they bought it only for themselves. 

RCI says all over 6 in a cabin must buy but their web site doesn’t enforce that and you can buy it just for one person. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Sounds like Royal is seeing what the market will bear.

33-55, that is a big swing in price. At 20-25 if you were going to buy internet for everyone it's a no brainer because the lunch in chops. 33-55 is a lot of money just to cut through a line.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

33-55, that is a big swing in price. At 20-25 if you were going to buy internet for everyone it's a no brainer because the lunch in chops. 33-55 is a lot of money just to cut through a line.

Maybe they are using the price to limit the number of KEY guests per sailing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jewopaho said:

Very likely a temporary issue - happened about a month ago as well (to $32) - it came back down to the original "MSRP" of $25 a few days later.

8 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Maybe they are using the price to limit the number of KEY guests per sailing.

That was my first thought.  I knew that they were limiting it but I figured that they would just stop selling it when they reached capacity.

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

That was my first thought.  I knew that they were limiting it but I figured that they would just stop selling it when they reached capacity.

We will see if this is some sort of anomoly or a new way for Royal to limit the number. 

I just went to my planner and it did indeed allow me to purchase the key just for myself. It's just me and my wife traveling in the same cabin. I didn't complete the transaction but it did put it in my cart with a total and only listed my name.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I was going to purchase for 2 people going with me that are in a separate room.  I put both people in the cart, selected to "pay by guest" since I was going to use 2 different credit cards.  I paid for the one person, when I went to pay for the other one they had already sold out, so I guess the one I purchased was the last one.  So now I have 1 person in a room that has a key and 1 person that doesn't.  That was several weeks ago for a June 30th sailing on Harmony.  I called to see if there was any way to add the key for the 1 person that doesn't have it since that's kinda awkward for 1 to get the perks but the other not to and they wouldn't allow it.  For a week or so The Key just said "check on board".  Now The Key isn't even listed.  I know it's been sold out but I find it odd that they removed it completely instead of just leaving the "check on board".  I guess this was kind of a long way for me to say that I can see how only 1 person in a room can end up with the Key.  At least in this type of situation. 

• Like 1

It is $37.99 for my Thanksgiving Symohony cruise.  I think it is just their way of boosting sales.  They did this a few months ago.  They know people are on the fence about buying it. So, they increase the price.  And, all the people who didn’t buy it are mad at themselves for not buying it at the lower price.  Then, they drop the price again and all of those people jump to purchase it before the price goes back up. 

That’s how they got me to buy an excursion I’ve been watching.  The prive went up a lot.  Then, it went back down again. So I went ahead and purchased it instead of waiting.  

• Thanks 1