I know the upgrade fairy!

Vict0riann

But I'm not telling you her name...:classic_ninja:

We had a wonderful email from our PCC at HAL the other day.  We had booked the lowest possible inside guarantee for the premier voyage of the Nieuw Statendam on December 5, as it is our fourth cruise this year, plus we had a major overhaul of our kitchen, and the bank account was groaning.  Someone on the roll call mentioned that there were a lot of verandahs vacant, and I had hoped that perhaps some ocean view people would be upgraded and we might possibly get a window, but lo and behold, she had organized a verandah guarantee for us!  We are so happy.  Even if it is totally obstructed, I love to be able to get a breath of fresh air occasionally, and to know when it is daytime.  

We've booked a guarantee three times now and always got an upgrade of sorts, usually within the category we booked, so this is a real incentive to continue doing it.  I have a feeling that many cruisers are leery of booking a premier voyage because of construction still going on on board, or even delays in sailing but we're hoping for the best.  

• Like 2

Guarantees are basically loss leaders.  Sell the lowest category of cabin at the lowest price which has very limited inventory, which in turn virtually guarantees some sort of "upgrade" when cabin assignments are made. 

When we were "upgraded" to a cabin directly over the Ocean Bar, we decided it was time to end our now dysfunctional relationship with the Upgrade Fairy,.

Though she had smiled on us many times in the past when her payoff was our increasing loyalty with HAL, but we are now irrevocably smitten anyway. 

Edited by OlsSalt

30 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

But I'm not telling you her name...:classic_ninja:

We had a wonderful email from our PCC at HAL the other day.  We had booked the lowest possible inside guarantee for the premier voyage of the Nieuw Statendam on December 5, as it is our fourth cruise this year, plus we had a major overhaul of our kitchen, and the bank account was groaning.  Someone on the roll call mentioned that there were a lot of verandahs vacant, and I had hoped that perhaps some ocean view people would be upgraded and we might possibly get a window, but lo and behold, she had organized a verandah guarantee for us!  We are so happy.  Even if it is totally obstructed, I love to be able to get a breath of fresh air occasionally, and to know when it is daytime.  

We've booked a guarantee three times now and always got an upgrade of sorts, usually within the category we booked, so this is a real incentive to continue doing it.  I have a feeling that many cruisers are leery of booking a premier voyage because of construction still going on on board, or even delays in sailing but we're hoping for the best.  

Great news Ann😀 I also had booked the lowest cat of an inside when the original booking was made.

Several weeks ago I saw the price had dropped and I had my TA call to see about a paid upgrade to. Veranda.  I have a VH guarantee also. Who knows, maybe they will be nice and give us  Neptune 😀

Thank you, Jacqui.  I hope to take a lot of photos!  (Especially on the cabin crawl, if I get permission from the inhabitants!)

OlsSalt, I am a control freak, and absolutely HATE guarantees.  I would much rather know where I'm going, but this year, we have looked at quantity, not quality, as we have needed occasional breaks from the kitchen reno.   I imagine your comment is the reason why our PCC is always touting guarantees, but she does know I am not in favour.  

As our PCC said VH is the lowest category of upgrade for us, I, too, am hoping for something better, 1AngelCat!  Really looking forward to the cruise, now that the rains have arrived here. 

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

Congrats on the upgrade.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you.  I expect there will be a lot of workmen on the ship, and perhaps that is one reason that people are getting upgrades.  We'll probably be stepping over tarps, etc.!  But I plan on eating everything in sight.  I missed so much on Koningsdam!

Congratulations on that great upgrade 🙂 Wow, 4 cruises in one year?  I want to be you 😄 

We always book gtys, usually the lowest level in a category.  Only scared by our assignment once, and then we got a great upsell offer.  So we continue to book gtys.

edited to add:  I adore your ninja emoji 🙂

Edited by VennDiagram

Thank you, Miss G, Canadian Bear, and VennDiagram.   

Definitely I will try to post from the new ship.  Hope the Internet is not too exorbitant, because I plan to spend a lot of money on specialty restaurants!  There will only be 3 ports on the TA, so what else will I do with my time except eat and post...

BTW, four cruises in one year is unusual for us, but they were shorter cruises.  We do like longer ones, but it evens out in the end.

Congratulations - couldn't happen to a nicer couple!

My 2020 cruise is the first that I booked a guarantee (lowest grade ocean view that qualifies for all the perks) and will be interested to see what I end up with. I'm usually very picky about which cabin I want so this is going outside my comfort zone.:classic_ohmy:

congratulations on your upgrade .We were fortunate  to have 2 cruise upgrades   on 2019 .One was Koningsdam  fro ma VF to a V balcony ;which has a larger balcony & cabin & the other Rotterdam from a H to a C outside  .Prices had dropped ;but ,we booked under a no refundable fairs . HAL can not reduce prices even before final payment but ,they gave us the 2 upgrades .We  are happy  :classic_biggrin:

59 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

congratulations on your upgrade .We were fortunate  to have 2 cruise upgrades   on 2019 .One was Koningsdam  fro ma VF to a V balcony ;which has a larger balcony & cabin & the other Rotterdam from a H to a C outside  .Prices had dropped ;but ,we booked under a no refundable fairs . HAL can not reduce prices even before final payment but ,they gave us the 2 upgrades .We  are happy  :classic_biggrin:

Did you contact your PCC/TA to ask when you saw the price drop or was it automatic?

Thanks to all my friends on CC!  I just wish more of you were going to be on the ship with us.  

I was just thinking about the possibility of a delay in sailing.  I must remember to take all my papers, passwords, etc., about our return flight (which we got with Air Miles), just in case something changes!

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Thanks to all my friends on CC!  I just wish more of you were going to be on the ship with us.  

I was just thinking about the possibility of a delay in sailing.  I must remember to take all my papers, passwords, etc., about our return flight (which we got with Air Miles), just in case something changes!

If you're following Captain Albert's blog, work seems to be on schedule right now for the hand-over to HA which is good news for the initial cruise passengers.  (Why does everyone keep calling us "guests"?)  His photos of the ship reveal a carbon copy of Koningsdam except for the art work which he says is more of a mix of modern with antique than K's collection.  Anyway, I hope things continue to progress, and all of you first passengers board without a delay.

Congratulations on the upgrade.  I know you'll enjoy having the balcony.  We've always booked an inside (never a GTY) and have been happy because we could cruise more often.  Then, HA offered a flash sale on suites, so we booked one for only a few hundred dollars more than the cost of the inside that we were accustomed to paying.  It so spoiled us that now I've booked two verandahs (can't afford the suite) and have loved the outdoor space.  I'm contemplating Voyage of the Vikings at some point, and for that cruise, I know I'll be back in an inside, with no complaint, as I'll consider myself fortunate to be on the ship for that itinerary.

If you plan to post while on this cruise, I'll be following along avidly, since we board Dec. 23.  Any information or pictures will be eagerly awaited and absorbed by anyone who's interested in this newest member of the HA fleet.  Have a wonderful voyage in your nice upgrade.