Expired ID help

lake53

Hi I’m surprising my wife for her birthday on a cruise leaving Nov 29 Emerald Princess from San Pedro. She went to the DMV to renew her license last week  since it expires on her birthday Nov 23 yep thats the issue. If the new one doesn’t arrive in time are we SOL. We usually use birth certificates and ID to board our passports are expired over 5 years. I was thinking of trying to get a new one rushed  by one of the companies. Any thoughts or suggestions. Trip is a surprise I was going to tell her on her birthday would hate to lose this trip. Thanks Tom 

12 minutes ago, Doris&Nereus said:

In Florida one can get an ID from the DMV that is not a driver's license. My mom got one when she could no longer drive, and they took her picture and she got it on the spot.  

In California, the ID card and the DL licenses are both issued by the DMV.  They both take the same processing time.

My mother-in-law just went to the DMV to get her senior ID, and is currently waiting for it to arrive via the mail.

There are passport offices in major cities where you can go to directly and renew a passport immediately. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/where-to-apply/passport-agencies.html

I would also go to a government center and get a legal government ID and I would try to get an expedited passport renewal. 

By by doing both, hopefully one will come thru on time for your cruise.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

In CA, you are given a receipt showing renewal and that along with soon to expire driver ‘s license is sufficient proof for the cops. Maybe same for cruise line. Call and ask. 

The temporary driver's license say on it "not valid for ID" 

Image result for california temporary driver's license

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

The temporary driver's license say on it "not valid for ID" 

Image result for california temporary driver's license

Well there you have it. Chase down the other suggestions. Expedited passport seems the best bet. Premium price for sure, but to salvage the trip, cost well spent. 

Although one still has to wonder, it says “not a VALIDATED identification.”  Would it be validated ID if accompanying the expired ID?  Unclear. For example this may be verbiage spit out for lost replacement DL as well. Still, trying for the expedited passport is probably the best bet. 

10 minutes ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

Although one still has to wonder, it says “not a VALIDATED identification.”  Would it be validated ID if accompanying the expired ID?  Unclear. For example this may be verbiage spit out for lost replacement DL as well. Still, trying for the expedited passport is probably the best bet. 

Actually it says "not a VERIFIED" identification.  Different concept.

In reality, the accompanying (expired) license MIGHT be accepted, but the temporary one wouldn't (shouldn't) be.

Verified, right, I read too quickly. But I do think you are correct that it might be accepted as the accompanying expired ID might both verify and validate. In any case, I do wish the (potential) kind-hearted cruiser all the best fortune in sorting out this mess! No good deed...

I agree with the comments about getting an expedited passport.  You can go to the passport agency in Los Angeles, on Wilshire Blvd. and pay to have it overnighted to you.  I was in the same situation a long time ago, my husband and I were young and planned a trip to Fiji and neither one of us clued in that we needed a passport.  Our travel agent was frazzled for not bringing it up.  It was extremely stressful but we got the job done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill B said:

Tom,

Next time, line up the ducks before you pull the trigger. 

So helpful Bill you the Man! 

Thank you everyone I’m going to tell my wife tonight about the trip then off to the passport place.

• Like 1

It is a bit late at this point but what do you do if she does not like the ship, the cruise, the cabin  or something else that you have booked w/o asking her.  Perhaps she really wants something else for her birthday.  I would never spend that much money on anything w/o discussing it with my wife.

DON

I am glad the ID arrived but wanted to add a thought for anyone finding this thread in a search: while it would seem that getting an expedited passport in this situation would do the trick the same conundrum exists- you have to submit a copy of a valid ID with your passport application. Now, since many post offices are passport acceptance offices I would go to one that is and simply ask them "would the expired ID coupled with the receipt from DMV constitute valid ID for applying for a passport" and if they say yes then it's reasonably certain that the same would apply for using it for the cruise, but then one could decide whether or not to incur the additional fees. Glad it worked out OP, hope she loves the cruise!

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

It is a bit late at this point but what do you do if she does not like the ship, the cruise, the cabin  or something else that you have booked w/o asking her.  Perhaps she really wants something else for her birthday.  I would never spend that much money on anything w/o discussing it with my wife.

DON

Better then a vacuum cleaner or a pair of house slippers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I renewed my DL, I got to keep my expiring one.....then the new one arrived,   so the old one was no longer valid....but I still have the old one.  However, a friend in my same state had her expiring lic. marked "INVALID"....don't know why some DMV's do that, but others don't.

Glad your wife's DL arrived in a timely fashion!

On 11/16/2018 at 3:42 AM, donaldsc said:

DON

Oh my goodness...if my husband booked a surprise cruise for me I would be so excited!

Never in in a million years would I ever be ungrateful about anything he had put so much thought into. 

But then again....I am very easy to please..😁😁

• Like 1

I would rather take a cruise than just about anything I can think of. I hope yours is wonderful. 

For anyone having the same problem, keep in mind that whatever the passport office in the Post Office says, or almost anyone else, there’s no way of knowing what will happen at check in for a cruise if you don’t have the right documents. This happens fairly frequently, even to seasoned cruisers who had the passports sitting right there and then left home without them. Sometimes they got ocked in their checked luggage. There’s no way to find that one suitcase under thousands of others. 

Many people have been left at the pier and there are no refunds if you are turned away because you lack documentation. 

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I would rather take a cruise than just about anything I can think of. I hope yours is wonderful. 

For anyone having the same problem, keep in mind that whatever the passport office in the Post Office says, or almost anyone else, there’s no way of knowing what will happen at check in for a cruise if you don’t have the right documents. This happens fairly frequently, even to seasoned cruisers who had the passports sitting right there and then left home without them. Sometimes they got ocked in their checked luggage. There’s no way to find that one suitcase under thousands of others. 

Many people have been left at the pier and there are no refunds if you are turned away because you lack documentation. 

We are talking about a situation where one has to show up with what they have or miss the cruise. If the documents they have are sufficient for the issuance of a passport then they should be sufficient to take a closed loop cruise, since the intent in both cases is to prove identity and citizenship to the authorities. As for leaving passports at home, yes, it does happen and that is when it is helpful to remember that copies of birth certificates are acceptable under the DHS regulations, so the passenger could have someone at home fax the birth certificate or better yet have a copy on the cloud that can be printed at will.