RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

4 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Sure, hope for a cancellation.  Hope is free.  Also, you might want to check if you can now enter a new bid for the JS in case one of those opens up.  
As I recall, plusgrade set max bid for JS relatively low on your sailing, so no shock that others also maxed out their bids.  I’m sorry your bid did not get picked out of the bundle, though.

Yes it was quite low relatively I thought, so I assume lots of others bid the same. I reckon they probably missed out by not setting it higher! 

I can go back in and edit my bid, mine is still showing as the max. 

Edited by Mark_UK

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

As I recall, plusgrade set max bid for JS relatively low on your sailing, so no shock that others also maxed out their bids.  I’m sorry your bid did not get picked out of the bundle, though.

How are you able to tell that?

Just now, rennyn said:

How are you able to tell that?

“As I recall”, infers a previous discussion.

I’m pretty sure it was Mark_UK who posted a question on this thread a while back about bidding the max and told us some details about his bidding range.  Seemed like a low max bid for that length cruise as I recall.

2 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I’m pretty sure it was Mark_UK who posted a question on this thread a while back about bidding the max and told us some details about his bidding range.  Seemed like a low max bid for that length cruise as I recall.

Yes that was me. The range I had was £60 ($90ish) - £170 ($220). I'm currently in a balcony. 

1 hour ago, Mark_UK said:

Yes that was me. The range I had was £60 ($90ish) - £170 ($220). I'm currently in a balcony. 

A cruise in a balcony cabin sounds pretty nice to me right now; I hope you have a great time whether they accept your bid or not.  

Thanks for coming back to update us on your bid.  There is always a chance of an acceptance in these final days, as some people are bound to cancel (health questionnaire or testing or whatever).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Seemed like a low max bid for that length cruise as I recall.

I'm on the same sailing and, yes, the starting bids are very low. I'm in an obstructed balcony. Min bids for me are JS $80, GS $100, GS 2-bed $140, OS $160, GL Suite $450, OSL Suite $600 and RL Suite $750.

I bid just above the min on all except the JS, which I didn't bother with because it doesn't have any added value for me. All bids still pending and, of course, I'm not expecting to win anything. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

It most certainly does not. "A previous discussion" is simply one possibility of many that it could mean. You could be recalling a previous conversation, previous research, or some other event or website.

I asked a simple question, no need for a poorly attempted language lesson. 🙄  But thank you for actually answering my question. That is, indeed, an extremely low bid range.

13 minutes ago, rennyn said:

It most certainly does not. "A previous discussion" is simply one possibility of many that it could mean. You could be recalling a previous conversation, previous research, or some other event or website.

I asked a simple question, no need for a poorly attempted language lesson. 🙄  But thank you for actually answering my question. That is, indeed, an extremely low bid range.

Just to prove it... 

Screenshot_20220426-222129_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, rennyn said:

I didn’t mean to offend you or offer a language lesson.  Perhaps I need one myself as evidently I could have phrased it better.  Oh well…

We have a JS on our May 8 Allure cruise. I put in a few Royal Up bids. Doesn't look too promising, tonight it says upgrade unavailable for one bid, and pending for all the others. When I checked earlier today, there were a few suites available. Now, they are showing as all sold out. Bummer! Wish I had booked the full suite to begin with... lesson learned for sure!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

I didn’t mean to offend you or offer a language lesson.  Perhaps I need one myself as evidently I could have phrased it better.  Oh well…

Maybe that is just online life sometimes. It seemed a little patronizing to me, and showed it to a friend who said the same, but I fully agree not only do things not always come across as we want, but that sometimes even if we try they are taken a different route.

Let's call it good 🙂 And thank you for the info! I was indeed hoping you had some secret to checking RoyalUps on ships you weren't on. (Imagine being able to book at short notice, and know where you might be able to snag a cheap upgrade, too..)

On 4/4/2022 at 4:16 PM, Ready2SailAway said:

Question for those of you following this thread for a while, since I don't recall anyone asking:

For a given sailing do RoyalUP wins all occur at once on the same day, or can they be awarded at various times of the day or even over several days?

We had several folks on our upcoming cruise receive confirmation of winning bids earlier today, yet my RoyalUp bids all still show Pending (not Expired) and are available to Modify or Cancel.

Just wondering if there's still hope to win one of my bids or not...

On 4/4/2022 at 4:19 PM, Biker19 said:

I think most reports seem to indicate most wins coming fairly close together (a couple of days?), but just about anything is possible with Royal Up.

On 4/4/2022 at 4:21 PM, Ready2SailAway said:

OK thanks - I'll report back with an update on this scenario...

For our Navigator of the Seas 15Apr2022 sailing, RoyalUps were awarded on 4Apr for bids from lower stateroom categories up to JS.  No inventory was listed for anything higher than JS from 4Apr until day of sailing.  My bids to RoyalUp from JS to GS 1&2bdrm, OS & RS remained Pending with the ability to Modify or Cancel up until day of sailing, when I finally received the denial email.

So my take is that this would allow the opportunity to RoyalUp (and for RCCL to get additional revenue) if someone had to cancel at the last minute, or was denied boarding.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, johnjen said:

How long does it take to find out if our bids go through and approved? Do they send you and email if you don't get the bid?

You should get a confirmation of your bid right away - winning can come at any time between bidding and boarding but likely closer to sailing. Denial emails come either on the night before sailing of after sail away.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ready2SailAway said:

So my take is that this would allow the opportunity to RoyalUp (and for RCCL to get additional revenue) if someone had to cancel at the last minute, or was denied boarding.

While the opportunity is there, I don't recall any reports of any Royal Up wins less than a day out. Due to a number of folks denied boarding, upgrades on board are possible, but that's no longer via Royal Up.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

While the opportunity is there, I don't recall any reports of any Royal Up wins less than a day out. Due to a number of folks denied boarding, upgrades on board are possible, but that's no longer via Royal Up.

How are upgrades onboard handled? Going to Guest Services and inquiring? Paying for the upgrade once onboard? Curious…..

• Thanks 1

Debating throwing a bid on the Royal Suite on Adventure for our 4-nighter just to say I did. If we got it, my wife would probably kill me...but the chances of winning on a min bid from a balcony are pretty much nil anyway.

6 minutes ago, xtremegk said:

Debating throwing a bid on the Royal Suite on Adventure for our 4-nighter just to say I did. If we got it, my wife would probably kill me...but the chances of winning on a min bid from a balcony are pretty much nil anyway.

I not sure you should accept marital or budgeting advice from this forum (unless you want to share a lot more personal info😳).  We scored a great deal on a CP balcony on our next cruise, but as hubby really loves suites and we can afford it, we submitted bids on some nice suites.  I wouldn’t do it if I thought spouse would kill me!