Has Sorrento’s pizza improved? Or still as bad as the reputation?

As a Brit cruising from Sydney in January the overnight availability of food will be important given my inevitable jet lag.

It seems that Sorrentos is the main late night option but reading through forum threads it seems that it has become famous (perhaps notorious) for its poor quality.

Recently, however, I’ve seen articles suggesting RCI have putting a lot of effort into improving the product. Has it worked?

In general, Sorrento's has almost always been really good. Though most recently I thought the sauce might've been different (and better) than I'd had previously when going to Sorrento's on Allure in October, but I'd never have considered it bad before. If you want to experience awful pizza, you need to go on a ship without a Sorrento's. Like Explorer of the Seas. 

20180919_004557.thumb.jpg.72e554a63b03b2b45d6bb4f549cf4fd0.jpg

Yes. Greatly improved. Last cruise (on Liberty) a few weeks ago, it was the best of my 8 cruises over the past 8 years.  Had it every day. Sometimes twice a day. There may have been a day where I had a slice every time I walked by.

BUT - I think they are rolling out the improved pizza across the fleet so not every ship may have it yet.  There will be a sign in Sorrento's touting the upgraded ingredients and recipe. That's how you'll know if your ship has it.

7 minutes ago, sh2738 said:

I’ve never found that the pizza was bad. Might depend on what you expect to get for free on a cruise but I’m not picky since it’s free and I thought it was fine. 

Agreed. It was always good but now it's even better.

Although I've only had pizza from Sorrento's, never the Windjammer so I can't comment on that. WJ pizza always looked a little sad.

It will probably never be the quality of NJ or NY pizza, but we sailed on Anthem in September and it was surprisingly good!  I've had it before and thought it was the equivalent to nasty frozen cardboard pizza. 

This time, we ordered a freshly made pizza, tipped the pizza guy, and sat at the bar eating it as soon as he prepped and cooked it.  Any of that could have been a reason for the improved taste.  But, we were impressed, and I'm Cajun.  Food has to be good to impress me.  :classic_biggrin:

22 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I used to think Sorrento's was the worst pizza ever!  Like eating cardboard.  While still not great- it is better than it used to be.  

When we were on the Oasis you'd have been better off eating the napkin at sorrento's than the pizza, it was terrible.  It's been a while so perhaps it's improved, it couldn't have gotten much worse.

2 minutes ago, Sitzmark said:

When we were on the Oasis you'd have been better off eating the napkin at sorrento's than the pizza, it was terrible.  It's been a while so perhaps it's improved, it couldn't have gotten much worse.

I agree.  As a rule, I never eat the pizza on the ship as it is normally really bad.  But lately, we have noticed it is not quite so horrible.  Still not great by any stretch, just not as bad as it used to be.  I have to be pretty desperate for food before I will eat the pizza on a Royal cruise ship

Last time I had it was on the Allure a few tears ago and it was cardboard. Few months ago tried it on the Freedom, very much improved. Enough improvement went back a few times. They've moved in the right direction.

I had it on Ovation last week.

Hot, fresh, and a really nice base. I quite enjoyed it - and I'm fussy when it comes to pizza (I won't eat Dominos, etc).

Nothing compares to the Italian wood-fired pizza place near my home though 🙂

15 minutes ago, dwayneb236 said:

I've enjoyed it on my 2 cruises. I'm not a pizza snob though. Very good to me and hits the spot. I have no taste though. I enjoy Spam...

Not a pizza snob here either, we eat little Caesar’s, Marco’s, frozen Costco, whatever.  I’m good with spam in moderation.  The pizza on the Oasis was an assault on the sense of taste. 

10 minutes ago, Notaworryintheworld said:

Is there sorrentos on brilliance? I don’t see it listed but I thought there was one on every ship. First time sailing on a small ship in many years. 

No Sorrento's on Brilliance.  Pizza slices at Park Cafe late.

To my knowledge, Sorrento's is only on Majesty, Freedom class, and Oasis class.