Malala

$hip$hape

It's a job normally reserved for movie stars, entertainers or royalty.

But on Tuesday,

the role of christening 2018's most notable new cruise ship will be filled by a celebrity of a different sort:

The youngest-ever winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Twenty-one-year-old Pakistani activist Malala Yousafzai.

Malala was awarded the prize in 2014, when she was just 17, will serve as godmother.

Tuesday afternoon, when the first new Celebrity Cruises ship in six years, 

Celebrity Edge, is christened in Florida. 

Malala is the first Nobel Prize winner to christen a cruise ship. 

• Like 4

Wonderful! she has more courage than most of us could ever dream of as well as taking a bullet to the head. We should all thank our lucky stars for what we have and our opportunities. I don't know or have I ever experienced hardship and fear like her. 

• Like 2

I was floored by this event. This speaks volumes about the company; what a motivating and inspiring choice. The whole ceremony was lovely IMO.

I have never cruised Celebrity, however, I am excited to try their brand; I'm just not sure where to start...was thinking the Edge :)

1 hour ago, Melissalcsw said:

I was floored by this event. This speaks volumes about the company; what a motivating and inspiring choice. The whole ceremony was lovely IMO.

I have never cruised Celebrity, however, I am excited to try their brand; I'm just not sure where to start...was thinking the Edge 🙂

I can endorse your excitement about X... as we love most things about the brand and ships.

You may have opened a big can of squids with this....

Looking forward to our sailing on X in November 2019, too.

Good luck and visit The Edge sub-forum for additional input and coverage about The Edge, as it may be contagious even more so...

bon voyage

Choosing Malala Yousafzai was, IMO, a surprising and wonderful choice by Celebrity.  She fought and  continues to fight for the ability of girls to be able to attend school in Pakistan, sharing her blog for others to read.  At 15, she was shot in the head while, on a school bus, due to her strong stance against the Taliban.  She described winning the Nobel Peace Prize as a "dream."  What a wonderful young woman for Celebrity to honor, as she epitomizes grace, humanity and love, while being a role model for girls and women across the world...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1