Drinks to Order

W283386

Have classic package.  Wife and I are not big drinkers.  Would like some suggestions on what to order as far as mixed drinks.  Maybe something different then the basic margarita or daiquiri.  What are your favorites?

This past August I was on Celebrity Infinity to Alaska.  The classic drink package was very disappointing  as was the limited choice of the entire cocktail menu on the ship.  They limit the drinks you can get to $9.  The problem is none of the drinks that sound unique are at that price point.  More importantly, every bar except the martini bar has the same very limited menu.  The martini bar starts at maybe $12 or $15.  Also, the only bartenders they have that have a clue how to make a cocktail are the ones at the martini bar.  The only good thing is they have very few bartenders and wait staff so they never bother to ask if you want a drink.  I believe they intentionally do not want to sell (give) you a free drink so they don't push it.  

Also Celebrity does NOT include milk shakes, smoothies or special drinks like that on the drink plan while other companies include those drinks.5 years ago on the Reflection it was different.  A larger drink menu with decent creative choices of drinks within the package

service.

Princess on the other had has a very large cocktail selection of interesting drinks on their drink packages.

Personally, while the classic drink package sounds good, it is not.  You are better off getting another perk or just paying for the drinks.

Note below the descriptions of the drinks do NOT even tell you what is in them!  Very confusing and boring.

459322738_premiumpackage.thumb.jpg.7a7b6114ea1c0fe20b011674d6cb6689.jpgPremium drink package is not much better but you can go to the martini barand much better

Edited by avocat

For most drinks the only difference between the Classic package & the Premium is the brand of liquor used in the drink.  You can get a variety of martinis with the Classic package(cosmo, dry, dirty, appletini, Lemon drop.etc)  with the Classic they will be made with Stolli or Absolut vodka where with the Premium they will be made with Ketel One or Grey Goose.  The large martinis at the Martini bar and the drinks at the World Class bar are not covered by the Classic package. 

The cocktails on the menus are not the only drinks you can get with the package.

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

For most drinks the only difference between the Classic package & the Premium is the brand of liquor used in the drink.  You can get a variety of martinis with the Classic package(cosmo, dry, dirty, appletini, Lemon drop.etc)  with the Classic they will be made with Stolli or Absolut vodka where with the Premium they will be made with Ketel One or Grey Goose.  The large martinis at the Martini bar and the drinks at the World Class bar are not covered by the Classic package. 

The cocktails on the menus are not the only drinks you can get with the package.

The OP can also upgrade to the premium beverage package as well. I think they pay the price difference of the Premium package vs their Classic package, I'm not sure what the price difference per day is. It might be worth it if they want several "Premium" beverages per day, including premium waters, coffees, smoothies and Red Bull as well as cocktails. 

The price difference is $11.80 per day including the gratuity.  Or if they want they can pay the difference between the cost of the drink and the $9 limit of the Classic.

From the OPs post it seemed to me that they thought they were limited to the named cocktails on the  menu they posted, which isn’t the case.

It kind of depends on where, and with whom, we are cruising.  Caribbean, we drink fruity drinks - pina coladas, margaritas (frozen and straight), mudslides, mojitos, daiquiris (strawberry and plain).  if you like those kind of drinks, try a Miami Vice (half strawberry daiquiri, half pina colada).  In Alaska, we were with our adult kids and grands so we kept the drinking to wine, beer, and gin and tonics.  We only get the classic package and never have a problem with what we order.  As another poster said, they make it to fit your drink package.  If perchance you order something that is more, you only pay the difference between the classic allowance  (I think is $9) and the actual cost.  My son in law likes craft beers and they really weren't covered on the classic package.  The difference was a couple of dollars - not enough to upgrade.  Also, all the specialty coffee and tea drinks at Café Al Bacio are covered by the Classic package. Cheers!

Try a Caesar.  It’s a Canadian favourite.  Vodka, Clamato Juice and spices.  A bit like a Bloody Mary but much more interesting (IMHO).  Covered by the classic package as long as you are OK with the cheaper vodka.

Long Island Iced Teas are also lovely and refreshing.  Can't remember exactly what's in it although I do know that there are tiny bits of tequila, rum and a few other alcohols.  They top it off with cola and lemonade.  It's the only drink that I like cola in.  As previously mentioned, Mudslides are very yummy.  The Aspen coffee in Cafe al Bacio used to be included in the Classic package but now it's an additional $1.18.  It's worth it!

Totally agree. Long Island Iced Teas are very good and very strong. Ive never seen them made with tiny bits of anything. Usually a 3/4 shot of Tequila, Gin, Triple Sec, Vodka and Rum. Alot of places will add a sour mix which we dont like. Just add regular coke and take it up a notch with a splash of Asti on top and a couple lemon wedges and you have a “Hollywood Long Island”. Made correctly it is fabulous.

You really need to watch how many you drink or you are in bed early...

59 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

wife was ordering 'French Caribbean' on our solstice cruise in March / April   - it's a frozen drink that was yum!

I think it had rum in it but not 100% sure - we could get them on the classic package

Oh yes, I was going to mention French Caribbean Sunset. They are beautiful and tasty. The exact recipe, I don't recall, but rum, maybe coconut rum, orange and pineapple juice, chambord or grand marnier to make the sunset colors. Not sure if it might be a premium cocktail but if it is, it's definitely worth the upcharge.

5 hours ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Totally agree. Long Island Iced Teas are very good and very strong. Ive never seen them made with tiny bits of anything. Usually a 3/4 shot of Tequila, Gin, Triple Sec, Vodka and Rum. Alot of places will add a sour mix which we dont like. Just add regular coke and take it up a notch with a splash of Asti on top and a couple lemon wedges and you have a “Hollywood Long Island”. Made correctly it is fabulous.

You really need to watch how many you drink or you are in bed early...

That Hollywood Tea sounds interesting

The Long Island is good for nothing but to get wasted drunk. A typical drink...rum and coke/gin and tonic...will have 1.25 ounces of booze. Long Island has 2 ounces...1/2 oz each Rum, Gim, Triple Sec, Vodka...fill with Sweet and sour and splash of coke. Take out the Gin and sub in Tequila and it's a Texas Tea. Make a Long Island but sub the coke for cranberry juice and it's a Long Beach Tea. 

OP....the Classic Package will get you any standard cocktail...the brand of booze will simply change. I'm assuming you looking for suggestions like some of the specialty drinks. This was our go to on the Reflection about 4 years ago. This drink was made with dry ice to give a nice 'smoky' effect. Notice this was a $13 drink...this was covered by the Premium Package. There was only 1 bar this drink was available.I'm assuming their drink list rotates based of location/time of year or simply new drinks that come about.

IMG_3489.jpg

Edited by txflood33
typo

On 12/4/2018 at 8:00 PM, avocat said:

This past August I was on Celebrity Infinity to Alaska.  The classic drink package was very disappointing  as was the limited choice of the entire cocktail menu on the ship.  They limit the drinks you can get to $9.  The problem is none of the drinks that sound unique are at that price point.  More importantly, every bar except the martini bar has the same very limited menu.  The martini bar starts at maybe $12 or $15.  Also, the only bartenders they have that have a clue how to make a cocktail are the ones at the martini bar.  The only good thing is they have very few bartenders and wait staff so they never bother to ask if you want a drink.  I believe they intentionally do not want to sell (give) you a free drink so they don't push it.  

Also Celebrity does NOT include milk shakes, smoothies or special drinks like that on the drink plan while other companies include those drinks.5 years ago on the Reflection it was different.  A larger drink menu with decent creative choices of drinks within the package

service.

Princess on the other had has a very large cocktail selection of interesting drinks on their drink packages.

Personally, while the classic drink package sounds good, it is not.  You are better off getting another perk or just paying for the drinks.

Note below the descriptions of the drinks do NOT even tell you what is in them!  Very confusing and boring.

and much better

Avocation, you may have misunderstood.  If you every cruise on Celebrity again, the menus located in the various bars are not intended to be a list of all the cocktails available.  As long as you use the alcohol brands listed on the Classic package, you can get an unlimited number of almost any cocktail.  

In fact, if you want to partake of some of the higher end speciality cocktails, you can as well by paying the price difference.  

As far as a comparison to the Princess Drink Package, you are correct Princess only offers one alcohol drink package (the premium version) and the Princess package has less brands, significantly less wine choices, and significantly lower drink prices.  Princess does not really have the speciality cocktails like those on Celebrity.  Additionally  the Princess  Premium drink package only includes soda from a fountain and the selection of extra cost can soda is very limited.  Although never a problem for most of us, the Princess alcohol drink package has a 15 alcoholic drink limit per day.

Actually I will never again pay for the Princess Premium package because the Princess drink prices are very reasonable, I prefer my soda in a can/bottle, and if you purchase a glass of wine above the limit, you do not have the option of only paying the difference.  Princess tries  really hard to get you to buy bottles of better wines at a discount.

I just wanted to make sure that you understood.  If you already knew all of these facts when you created your opinion, then I apologize.  Because of course your opinion is valid.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I will be cruising with Celebrity for the first time this summer and we have upgraded to the premium beverage package. We are primarily wine drinkers but the odd fancy cocktail is fun, especially when it's included in the package. I also find it is nearly impossible to find many wines under $9 on any cruise.  I also like that specialty coffees and bottled water are included. 

I do have a few questions though, as I have never had a beverage package on a cruise before (typically cruise with Disney and they don't have packages like this and usually just bring wine onboard at every port!). Some questions might seem a bit dumb, but really, this is all new to me. 

1. Is there a limit to how many drinks per day (alcoholic or non alcoholic)?

2. When ordering drinks of any kind do you need to advise what package you have or is this just determined when you put it on your account?

3. Just to be clear this package includes soft drinks/juice/smoothies/bottled water/beer/wine/cocktails (all up to $13?) anytime anywhere? 

4. Anything else I should know??

Thank you!!

travel_nut:  Regarding beverages packages, there is no limit as to how many drinks per day, but to prevent "sharing" of packages you may find that you cannot order multiple drinks on one card at one time.  You sea pass card will have your beverage package printed on the card (i.e. CALL for classic alcohol  and PALL for premium alcohol) for those who purchased prior to boarding (or selected a beverage package as a perk).  For those who either purchase or upgrade when onboard a sticker is placed on the sea pass card.  While I don't drink smoothies, the package will include soft drinks, bottled water and beer/wine/cocktails up to the limit on your package.  You do not need to inform the server about the package -- they will ask for your sea pass card when you place your order.  And while we always have the premium beverage package due to our loyalty status, since you have the premium (I am assuming premium alcohol) the limit on the premium alcohol package is (I believe) $15.00 per drink.