Galveston plans third cruise terminal, with Royal Caribbean as operator

pspercy

25 minutes ago, dwayneb236 said:

We Texans can be a bit....Proud of our state/country.

LOL. Nothing wrong with expressing a little home town pride. I've been to Houston 6 times in the past 2 years visiting family and been to Galveston twice - once for cruise, once for overnight trip with said family in Houston. Love it and can't wait to go back.

But we all should be open and honest when discussing the pros and cons of sailing from any port.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, George C said:

I am a Texan , well for about 40 years but rather fly to Florida for a cruise, for better choice of ships and ports, but have done Galveston several times.

I live just north of NYC and can drive to Bayonne, NJ in 75 minutes. Done it twice.  Still, my preference would be to fly to Florida for the reasons you've stated. 

That doesn't mean I hate NJ.

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

I live just north of NYC and can drive to Bayonne, NJ in 75 minutes. Done it twice.  Still, my preference would be to fly to Florida for the reasons you've stated. 

That doesn't mean I hate NJ.

I lived in nyc for 30 years and did several cruises from there and still cruise from there once in a while but very limited choices leaving from the city , better choices back in the 70’s .  I see no reason to go to New Jersey 😁

1 hour ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

Florida has an entire infrastructure on their east coast which can meet economic investment.  

Our City has no infrastructure or neighboring communities to fulfill the costs.

Every place has its positives and negatives.   I am tired of the bashing of Galveston by those who aren't familiar with the the area; who have only been here once or twice and believe they know it all.

Not every port is easy to get to.  Presenting facts is one thing.  Negativity is another.

Happy Cruising and Happy New Year

Hi Galveston Cruiser,

You and SSB have  given me some great advice on the Gulf Coast Departure threads, especially navigating the streets when driving to the terminal during Lone Star Rally weekend. Thank you!  Love your island and look forward to coming back.

I don't think anyone is bashing Galveston, just pointing out it's not the most convenient fly-in port. Especially if they are not planning a pre- or post-cruise stay.

As a New Yorker, I wouldn't take it personally if someone said they didn't want to fly here for a cruise in the dead of winter. Heck, I'd probably encourage them not to as well, unless they really wanted to sail Anthem.

Anyway, hopefully my next stay in Houston will include a side trip to Galveston.

Happy New Year!

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

HBE4:  Hopefully, you are correct.  We have met with City, Wharves Board and Cruise people for years, but to no avail.  It is in the hands of the rental companies as to where they will invest.

A logistic example is:  500 rentals arrive between 10 am and noon with transport to terminals,  500 get off ships between 8 and 10 am to pick up vehicles.  These vehicles have to be service and inspected which takes hours, if not days.  Do renters sit for hours waiting for cars or find other transportation?  Then there is the transport to and from the terminals as well as dead heading vehicles to and from other locations which can take hours and hundreds of employees.

There is no simple solution that I can see.

We are in the same boat (LOL) when flying one way so we use a car service. as the last time we rented from IAH to Galveston there was the $150 drop off charge.  Less expensive to use a service and, now Uber.

We paid the same for a rental in Rome to drop off in Civitevcchia 4 days later.

If and when you plan another cruise out of Galveston, would love the opportunity to show you around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

... I am tired of the bashing of Galveston by those who aren't familiar with the the area; who have only been here once or twice and believe they know it all. ...

You are erroneously equating bashing with facts.  This is not meant to be personal, it's meant to be a discussion of the facts. Whatever the reasons, lack of surrounding population, history of Galveston , whatever.  The reasons for the increased inconvenience for the fly-in cruiser are not relevant. The fact is Galveston is less convenient than many other ports for the fly-in cruiser.  Relating facts is not bashing.

As an example, there was no good way to have a reasonable cost for transportation from IAH to Galveston earlier this year for our cruise on the Liberty.  We were a party of 7 and spending 3 nights on the island before the cruise, and then returning to IAH the day the ship got back.

Option 1:  Take a shuttle from IAH to Galveston:  Cheapest for 7 people is about $240 each way.  Then rent a minivan on the island for 3 days (and find some way to get from the rental agency to the cruise terminal once I drop it off). $250 for the 3 night minivan rental with Enterprise.

Total:  $240, $240, $250 = $730

Option 2: (which is what we did)  Rent a minivan from IAH for our party of 7, for 11 days, and be forced to pay to park that rental at the cruise port, and then return the rental back to IAH for our flight back home.  Minivan rental from IAH was $582 total, and paying to park that rental at the cruise terminal with Park N Cruise was $75.  Gas was about $40.

Total:  $582 + $75 + $40 = $697

Lets compare that to our Fort Lauderdale and Miami trips (still a party of 7) where we've done the same thing (stayed 3 nights before the cruise).  Here we can also drop the rental near the cruise terminal and take a free shuttle back to the ship.

Rent minivan for 3 nights at FLL or MIA = $180

Rent a minivan for 1 day and pick up at the cruise terminal to take us back to the airport (we prefer this to a shuttle).  $60

Gas = $20

Total:  $180 + $60 + $20 = $260

So depending on which transportation option we had to use for Galveston, it was between $437 to $470 MORE than cruising out of Florida for the same amount of time.

Dan

20 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

As an example, there was no good way to have a reasonable cost for transportation from IAH to Galveston earlier this year for our cruise on the Liberty.  We were a party of 7 and spending 3 nights on the island before the cruise, and then returning to IAH the day the ship got back.

Option 1:  Take a shuttle from IAH to Galveston:  Cheapest for 7 people is about $240 each way.  Then rent a minivan on the island for 3 days (and find some way to get from the rental agency to the cruise terminal once I drop it off). $250 for the 3 night minivan rental with Enterprise.

Total:  $240, $240, $250 = $730

Option 2: (which is what we did)  Rent a minivan from IAH for our party of 7, for 11 days, and be forced to pay to park that rental at the cruise port, and then return the rental back to IAH for our flight back home.  Minivan rental from IAH was $582 total, and paying to park that rental at the cruise terminal with Park N Cruise was $75.  Gas was about $40.

Total:  $582 + $75 + $40 = $697

Lets compare that to our Fort Lauderdale and Miami trips (still a party of 7) where we've done the same thing (stayed 3 nights before the cruise).  Here we can also drop the rental near the cruise terminal and take a free shuttle back to the ship.

Rent minivan for 3 nights at FLL or MIA = $180

Rent a minivan for 1 day and pick up at the cruise terminal to take us back to the airport (we prefer this to a shuttle).  $60

Gas = $20

Total:  $180 + $60 + $20 = $260

So depending on which transportation option we had to use for Galveston, it was between $437 to $470 MORE than cruising out of Florida for the same amount of time.

Dan

You research did not include Island Trolleys that easily frequent most all tourist destinations and lodging on Galveston Island .  Similar to HOHO .  Cost one dollar. No rent car needed.

Edited by ssb

HBE4 can see the facts and admit that not every port works for individuals and not take it personally.  I couldn’t blame anyone for not wanting to sail out of Quebec at any time of the year. If it works for them great, if not so be it. 

RC is bring Oasis to Galveston, which I said before is great for Galveston.  If cruisers choose not to fly from further away you might discover cheaper rates for last minute sailings. For that same reason, you might discover that you could lose Oasis.  Things have changed enough that you have an Oasis Class ship.  Will the factors change enough that fly in cruisers might consider it first over Florida... only time will tell.

As I said before; I see people from the West Coast and Midwest picking it over Florida, for their convenience.  Convenience for some isn’t for others.

Edited by A&L_Ont

10 minutes ago, ssb said:

You research did not include Island Trolleys that easily frequent most all tourist destinations and lodging on Galveston Island .  Similar to HOHO .  No rent car needed.

Unfortunately those island trolleys don't go nearly to the locations that we needed and would have been more inconvenient (arrive every 30 minutes).  We would have been forced to stay at a hotel or condo right in the heart of Galveston.  All of those less convenient for us.  We were at Pointe West Condo's which we really enjoyed.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

27 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

HBE4 can see the facts and admit that not every port works for individuals and not take it personally.  I couldn’t blame anyone for not wanting to sail out of Quebec at any time of the year. If it works for them great, if not so be it. 

RC is bring Oasis to Galveston, which I said before is great for Galveston.  If cruisers choose not to fly from further away you might discover cheaper rates for last minute sailings. For that same reason, you might discover that you could lose Oasis.  Things have changed enough that you have an Oasis Class ship.  Will the factors change enough that fly in cruisers might consider it first over Florida... only time will tell.

As I said before; I see people from the West Coast and Midwest picking it over Florida, for their convenience.  Convenience for some isn’t for others.

We love Quebec!  Can't wait to go back.

There are issues with any means of travel, be it destination, weather, cost, etc.  Research conducted prior to planning any trip is essential. We enjoy each and every trip even with problems.  That's life and consider such as an experience.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 9:50 PM, Host Clarea said:

I don't think Galveston cares much.  My gut feel (not based on any real numbers) was that while the Florida ports actively try to attract the cruise business, Galveston sorta just tolerates it.

Whether Galveston versus Florida

relating to attributes of each , 

is not my issue at all .

Its' a quote just on this thread : About Bashing Galveston .

"I don't think Galveston cares much.  My gut feel (not based o

n any real numbers) was that while the Florida ports actively try to attract the cruise business, Galveston sorta just tolerates it."

Even though asked to expound on this comment, topics have only been stuck to two other issues that are facts.

Clarea - You have one of most respected reputations as a poster, and as a moderator of Cruise Critic .                                          Why make a sarcastic comment like that without current homework?

And even more so, why with all the broad media coverage about Galveston happenings in the news recently?

Other members of Cruse Critic read, believe and form opinions

based on your good reputation and good information provided .

Facts should support good information, so cruisers can make there own decisions.

I respect yours, and in the past have told you so .

We do not bash Florida. We are defensive of Galveston.

We cruised out of Florida twice in last few months.

YES we have had major problems in Florida . Yes for sure.  

Why put a negative spin , on good news in the Cruise Industry,

when you are moderator.

Cruise Critic is selling cruise product in Galveston also.

Cruise lines are selling this product

Be a responsible reporter, for Cruise Critic and the industry..

Your comment about Galveston attitudes

is based on the past formed opinions,

and are not up to date .

There is a lot of current positive dynamic information

about Galveston in the present tense and about the future .  

Stop living in the past . Or we can agree to dissagree whats in the present and future .

We live in the present and the future . Cruise everyone with a good attitude . We are addicted.    

These local cruise officials and marketing folks, and cruise lines

making all this happen in Galveston will not agree with you.

1. Wharves Board

2. New Chairman of the Wharves Board. - Ted O'Roarke.

3. New Executive Director of Galveston Wharves Port- Roger Brees from Florida

4. New Executive Director of Park Board Galveston - responsible for all Marketing , Visitors, and all Conventions - Kelly De Shawn

5. Major , City Council of City of Galveston 

6. ***** All cruise lines and Cruise Critic selling cruises in Galveston. (The most important issue here in my opinion!)                                                                                                                                                                                     

We are thankful for our Blessings.  

Patience is essential, attitude is everything.

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections

of you’re expectations.

Edited by ssb

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Unfortunately those island trolleys don't go nearly to the locations that we needed and would have been more inconvenient (arrive every 30 minutes).  We would have been forced to stay at a hotel or condo right in the heart of Galveston.  All of those less convenient for us.  We were at Pointe West Condo's which we really enjoyed.

Dan

Not correct information to have to be in heart of Galveston for majority of cruisers. . Trolleys  basically go everywhere, but West End  where you were , 30 miles from in town Galveston . . A decision made for your specific needs . I honor that .  

6 minutes ago, ssb said:

Not correct information to have to be in heart of Galveston for majority of cruisers. . Trolleys  basically go everywhere, but West End  where you were , 30 miles from in town Galveston . . A decision made for your specific needs . I honor that .  

Even if we could have made use of the trolley, transportation overall would have still been roughly $200 more than FLL or MIA for the same length of stay and less convenient.

In the end, we made the choice to cruise out of Galveston because we knew we liked the Freedom class ships and had never been on the Liberty, we wanted to tour Galveston (which we really liked), and the cruise fare was lower cost than something comparable out of Florida for that same week (New Years).  So in the end the transportation costs about evened out with the increased cruise fare out of Florida.  We're glad we made the trip to Galveston, and enjoyed the island and the cruise.

Probably a one and done for us though.  If they would make longer (8-10 night) Southern or Eastern cruises out of Galveston on a Voyager class (or larger) ship, we would consider it again.

Dan

17 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Even if we could have made use of the trolley, transportation overall would have still been roughly $200 more than FLL or MIA for the same length of stay and less convenient.

In the end, we made the choice to cruise out of Galveston because we knew we liked the Freedom class ships and had never been on the Liberty, we wanted to tour Galveston (which we really liked), and the cruise fare was lower cost than something comparable out of Florida for that same week (New Years).  So in the end the transportation costs about evened out with the increased cruise fare out of Florida.  We're glad we made the trip to Galveston, and enjoyed the island and the cruise.

Probably a one and done for us though.  If they would make longer (8-10 night) Southern or Eastern cruises out of Galveston on a Voyager class (or larger) ship, we would consider it again.

Dan

Yes I have said all along . Everything  is relative ! I respect that .

We all make decisions and choices on needs and desires and budgets.

I do not judge what others spend, that's a personal choice.

Edited by ssb

For Cruise Critic and Cruise lines , the most important factor is to sell cruises . The information on this site is for that purpose .  The marketplace will take care of itself . 

Edited by ssb

1 hour ago, ssb said:

"All you need is a NHL team in H-town."

JJ Watt of Houston Texans is trying hard. Who is from Wisconsin isn't that the same as Michigan or close enough ?.

Maybe he can lure the New York Islanders down there. The New York City metro area has three hockey teams which is one too many.

The New York Rangers stay here. There is already a Texas Rangers team.😃

Edited by HBE4