Galveston plans third cruise terminal, with Royal Caribbean as operator

pspercy

17 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Oh you're talking about people driving from their home states to Florida ports.  The complaints many on this thread have been making about Galveston have to do with differences between flying to Florida ports versus flying to cruise from Galveston.

Correct just reinforcing what was said earlier:

Galveston has it's attributes and Florida has it's attributes. 

Relativity is to the Cruiser.  

On 12/26/2018 at 5:33 PM, ssb said:

Others have said on boards it is long long drives to Florida ports . They would rather fly in . 

Pt Canaveral has 42 million people within a 500 mile radius (8 hour drive), Galveston has 43 million.  Miami has 24 million.

On 12/26/2018 at 4:49 PM, time4u2go said:

Oh you're talking about people driving from their home states to Florida ports.  The complaints many on this thread have been making about Galveston have to do with differences between flying to Florida ports versus flying to cruise from Galveston.

A post today about flying issues 

MAJESTY – 4 NIGHT CUBA & NASSAU (12/27/2018)

Here we go! We originally planned to fly down after Christmas, but due to crazy, expensive flights, we decided to just pack it in and drive down.

13 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Pt Canaveral has 42 million people within a 500 mile radius (8 hour drive), Galveston has 43 million.  Miami has 24 million.

Yes and All cruise ports in Florida are competing over that common cruising marketplace . 

2 minutes ago, ssb said:

Yes and All cruise ports in Florida are competing over that common cruising marketplace . 

Not the point I was trying to make.  

My point was that PC and Galveston have a large market of drive in passengers.  Miami and PE likely get more passengers as fly in.

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not the point I was trying to make.  

My point was that PC and Galveston have a large market of drive in passengers.  Miami and PE likely get more passengers as fly in.

Earlier post on this thread 

On 12/6/2018 at 3:58 PM,  Goodtime Cruizin said: 

And likewise, the ports in Florida are the most inconvenient to drive to

?????

Edited by ssb

1 hour ago, ssb said:

A post today about flying issues 

MAJESTY – 4 NIGHT CUBA & NASSAU (12/27/2018)

Here we go! We originally planned to fly down after Christmas, but due to crazy, expensive flights, we decided to just pack it in and drive down.

Um...OK?  Some people drive, some people fly.  Not sure what point you are trying to make. 

Having to fly to most every port I need to get to, I have a different take on this... having sailed twice out of Galveston, I'll choose a Florida port for a couple of reasons that are not hotels/flights/transportation... especially since my flight to IAH is cheaper than both FLL or MIA:

I would much rather spend time pre or post cruise in FLL or Miami... and yes, I have spent 2 days pre cruise in Galveston, stayed at the Harbor House right next to the pier.... my hotel window looked right over the Seaport Museum 

and the tall masted schooner.

More importantly to me, sailing the Caribbean I would prefer to hear Caribbean/Raggae on the pool deck and not have Country throughout the ship all day and night. On both my sailings the main house band was country that played nightly. Entertainment and other things are also slanted. While I don't prefer this so I will not choose Galveston as a departure port, this is an obvious bonus to those who love Country and really would love the Country vibe with other like minded cruisers. RCL is very successfully catering to their majority cruisers of the ships in Galveston.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Having to fly to most every port I need to get to, I have a different take on this... having sailed twice out of Galveston, I'll choose a Florida port for a couple of reasons that are not hotels/flights/transportation... especially since my flight to IAH is cheaper than both FLL or MIA:

I would much rather spend time pre or post cruise in FLL or Miami... and yes, I have spent 2 days pre cruise in Galveston, stayed at the Harbor House right next to the pier.... my hotel window looked right over the Seaport Museum 

and the tall masted schooner.

More importantly to me, sailing the Caribbean I would prefer to hear Caribbean/Raggae on the pool deck and not have Country throughout the ship all day and night. On both my sailings the main house band was country that played nightly. Entertainment and other things are also slanted. While I don't prefer this so I will not choose Galveston as a departure port, this is an obvious bonus to those who love Country and really would love the Country vibe with other like minded cruisers. RCL is very successfully catering to their majority cruisers of the ships in Galveston.

A fair relative comment . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

Can't understand why a company named Alamo won't rent me a car at IAH and let me drop it off at Galveston?  

By the way, do they still have shuttle buses to the rental car garage or did they finally build a tram?

No Alamo facility in Galveston.

2 hours ago, bilyclub said:

Can't understand why a company named Alamo won't rent me a car at IAH and let me drop it off at Galveston?  

I believe Enterprise is the only company that does one-way rentals to Galveston. Be prepared to pay a $150 "drop-off fee".

And it is kind of ironic that a company named Alamo wouldn't have every square inch of Texas covered. :classic_laugh:

9 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I believe Enterprise is the only company that does one-way rentals to Galveston. Be prepared to pay a $150 "drop-off fee".

And it is kind of ironic that a company named Alamo wouldn't have every square inch of Texas covered. :classic_laugh:

As I stated in a previous post, it is a matter of economics.   Enterprise in Galveston is a franchise.  It costs to return vehicles to the airport and other locations no matter the operator.

Hertz had an office on the island until 2008.  Obviously, they realized it was a logistic nightmare and economically unfeasible.  Galveston is also is in another county and a separate City, which are two of many reasons there is a drop off charge.

Having worked for a rental agency as well as renting vehicles all over the world, a vehicle returned to another City/State/Country has a drop off charge.

15 minutes ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

As I stated in a previous post, it is a matter of economics.   Enterprise in Galveston is a franchise.  It costs to return vehicles to the airport and other locations no matter the operator.

Hertz had an office on the island until 2008.  Obviously, they realized it was a logistic nightmare and economically unfeasible.  Galveston is also is in another county and a separate City, which are two of many reasons there is a drop off charge.

Having worked for a rental agency as well as renting vehicles all over the world, a vehicle returned to another City/State/Country has a drop off charge.

Port Canaveral has at least 6 rental agencies that take one-way rentals (no drop fees) from Orlando, which is in a different city and county from Cocoa Beach, and about the same distance to the airport as between Galveston and Hobby.   Each of these agencies also has shuttles (no extra charge) to/from the cruise terminals.  

Tampa (same county as the port) has at least two rental agencies that take one-way rentals, no drop fee. Free shuttle with Avis.  I've also rented from Tampa airport and dropped at Port Canaveral (different counties) multiple times, about 140 miles, no drop fee.

Port Everglades (same county as the airport) has about 6 rental agencies that take one-way rentals, no drop fee, free shuttles.

Enterprise in San Pedro California takes one-way rentals from LAX, LGB, and Orange County (different city and county than San Pedro), no drop fee and a free shuttle. 

So we have both Florida and California seeming to be able to provide these services.

43 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Port Canaveral has at least 6 rental agencies that take one-way rentals (no drop fees) from Orlando, which is in a different city and county from Cocoa Beach, and about the same distance to the airport as between Galveston and Hobby.   Each of these agencies also has shuttles (no extra charge) to/from the cruise terminals.  

Tampa (same county as the port) has at least two rental agencies that take one-way rentals, no drop fee. Free shuttle with Avis.  I've also rented from Tampa airport and dropped at Port Canaveral (different counties) multiple times, about 140 miles, no drop fee.

Port Everglades (same county as the airport) has about 6 rental agencies that take one-way rentals, no drop fee, free shuttles.

Enterprise in San Pedro California takes one-way rentals from LAX, LGB, and Orange County (different city and county than San Pedro), no drop fee and a free shuttle. 

So we have both Florida and California seeming to be able to provide these services.

Great information . Glad you did you’re homework on this piece . Would believe CruseCritic would demand that of a moderator before  putting negativity out on a cruise port . 

Edited by ssb

23 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Mea Culpa for not naming all the areas that DO require a drop off fee.

A population of 51,000 cannot sustain what you quote.  It is still a matter of economics.

California and Florida are not Texas and you are welcome to continue to cruise from there.

As a moderator promoting cruising, I would think you would have a more positive attitude for all ports.

Galveston is doing just fine and I will continue to support our City, the cruise lines and those who enjoy all we have to offer.

This City has proven its resiliency for 118 years plus and will continue to do so, with or without naysayers.

36 minutes ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

.... As a moderator promoting cruising, I would think you would have a more positive attitude for all ports. ....

I am a fellow poster and a moderator.    I try to be factual, and the fact is that Galveston is a less convenient port for the fly-in cruiser than ports in Florida, Los Angeles, Seattle, and New Orleans.  I would think the cruisers here would appreciate knowing the facts.   I make no reference to the resiliency of Galveston, I am only referring to the logisitics for the fly-in cruiser. 

By the way, the population of Cocoa Beach (which hosts most of the rental agencies near Port Canaveral that take one-way rentals) is less than 12,000, so less than one-fourth the population you quoted for Galveston. 

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I am a fellow poster and a moderator.    I try to be factual, and the fact is that Galveston is a less convenient port for the fly-in cruiser than ports in Florida, Los Angeles, Seattle, and New Orleans.  I would think the cruisers here would appreciate knowing the facts.   I make no reference to the resiliency of Galveston, I am only referring to the logisitics for the fly-in cruiser. 

By the way, the population of Cocoa Beach (which hosts most of the rental agencies near Port Canaveral that take one-way rentals) is less than 12,000, so less than one-fourth the population you quoted for Galveston. 

Florida has an entire infrastructure on their east coast which can meet economic investment.  

Our City has no infrastructure or neighboring communities to fulfill the costs.

Every place has its positives and negatives.   I am tired of the bashing of Galveston by those who aren't familiar with the the area; who have only been here once or twice and believe they know it all.

Not every port is easy to get to.  Presenting facts is one thing.  Negativity is another.

Happy Cruising and Happy New Year

• Like 2

1 minute ago, George C said:

I am a Texan , well for about 40 years but rather fly to Florida for a cruise, for better choice of ships and ports, but have done Galveston several times.

And that, George, is about choices.

We can walk to the Port in Galveston, but we have flown all over the world for cruises.

Happy New Year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

Correct. In post  #217, I  acknowledged the economics and lack of feasibility.  I do get that. Still, $150 is pretty steep. I've done plenty of one-way rentals and if there is a drop-off charge, it's usually minimal i.e. $20. The assumption is that if someone rents a car from airport to cruise ship, they'll most likely rent a car on the way back.

I'm sure if a car rental company could make a decent profit, they would be providing the service.  It doesn't make sense for a car to sit in their lot unused for a week, waiting for cruiser to return.

With a new terminal(s), more ships and presumably are greater variety of itineraries - maybe some 9-night/5-night or 4 night sailings - there will be ships departing more frequently, perhaps daily, and those cars can be turned around quicker, hopefully leading the companies to provide one-way rentals at no or minimal cost.