Galveston plans third cruise terminal, with Royal Caribbean as operator

pspercy

The Port of Galveston is a present happening player in the future cruise US marketplace......with the aggressive new port management and experienced leaders, port master plan changes,  expansive Texas and midwest growth marketplace, two international Houston airports,  new ship technologies,  LNG fuel availability in Texas,  Carnival's current presence,  RCL's long term plans, Disney's current plans and others lines coming, Southeast Texas changes occurring ,  Galveston's proximity to the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, Canal and South America and all Galveston possibly becoming port of call. 

2 minutes ago, ssb said:

Galveston is in demand and accessible.

Negativity about  tolerance  and not caring comments are inexcusable by a moderator , who should be promoting cruising on Cruise Critic . Wherever !!!! 

Look at Galveston for its presentence today  and future . RCL , Carnival , Disney , Princess are !!

Stop living Galveston from your past . And get better informed to help cruising in Galveston and everywhere, if for nothing else Cruise Critic . 

Galveston is a happening thing , whether you like it or not . 

Are you saying that the negatives that Bob posted are not true any more?  Are hotels no longer requiring a 2-night stay?  Are there now a lot of one-way car rental options?

16 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Are you saying that the negatives that Bob posted are not true any more?  Are hotels no longer requiring a 2-night stay?  Are there now a lot of one-way car rental options?

16 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

No . 

His other negative non true comments. 

He is not up to date . 

Galveston ships are sailing full . 

With massive drive in marketplace. Galveston has a nice thing going . 

Edited by ssb

Recently did oasis out of port  caniveral , both caniveral and Galveston I find inconvenient since both are 40 mins from airport and both have hotel issues, the plus for most people that cruise out of Galveston is they drive to port, also galveston seems to have better fares than many ports. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ssb said:

Galveston is in demand and accessible.

Negativity about  tolerance  and not caring comments are inexcusable by a moderator , who should be promoting cruising on Cruise Critic . Wherever !!!! 

Look at Galveston for its presentence today  and future .  ..RCL , Carnival , Disney , Princess are !!

Stop living Galveston from your past . And get better informed to help cruising in Galveston and everywhere, if for nothing else Cruise Critic . 

Galveston is a happening thing , whether you like it or not . 

When Galveston provides the cruising infrastructure for the fly-in cruiser similar to Florida ports, I'll be happy to report that.  As it stands now, it seems to be a fine port for the drive-in cruiser, but well down the list for the fly-in cruiser.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

When Galveston provides the cruising infrastructure for the fly-in cruiser similar to Florida ports, I'll be happy to report that.  As it stands now, it seems to be a fine port for the drive-in cruiser, but well down the list for the fly-in cruiser.

Who is competing with Florida ports ? Not Galveston or me . My cruises in last few months were two Florida Cuba cruises Tampa and Ft Lauderdale and Quebec . 

Edited by ssb

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

And when they do that, we might consider cruising from there again. That being said we would have to stay in Houston and a taxi to the hotel, then a car service to the port and back, the Texas booze tax, the cooler weather on first and last day etc...

On a positive there are the friendly people from Texas and surrounding states but sadly it doesn’t make up for the negatives. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

And when they do that, we might consider cruising from there again. That being said we would have to stay in Houston and a taxi to the hotel, then a car service to the port and back, the Texas booze tax, the cooler weather on first and last day etc...

On a positive there are the friendly people from Texas and surrounding states but sadly it doesn’t make up for the negatives. 

Sorry you doubled up on your transportation costs , but that was you’re decision to stay in Houston . Booze tax and weather are lame excuses . 

Just now, ssb said:

Sorry you doubled up on your transportation costs , but that was you’re decision to stay in Houston . Booze tax and weather are lame excuses . 

I actually said, “if” we return to Houston.  We are flying from cold Canada so we want heat right away and it to last for the entire cruise. A cooler first and last day to us, is not a lame excuse.  As for the state booze tax, it is an added cost for those who choose to cruise from Texas.  It might be considered lame but it is an added cost factor for consideration for those coming for further away. 

That being said we love all the people that we have met from Texas. Having travelled to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo numerous times, I can attest the City and States hospitality is first class. 

Galveston deserves an opportunity for a. Oasis Class ship.  They will give Carnival and Princess (if they are still there) a run for their money. It reality it has to work for the individual cruiser.

The main/only reason we might return to cruise from Galveston is to first visit a friend in Houston for a day or two.  However, it could/might look very appealing to someone flying from the West Coast or the Midwest, as they don’t have to travel as far as Florida. 

We had a great cruise on the Liberty out of Galveston (even with the cold weather).  The crew and fellow passengers were fantastic.  Our three days in Galveston were really fun, getting to know the history and a feel for the island.  It's a great island.

However, it simply is not as convenient to cruise out of.

Dan

• Like 1

Here is an  idea for those who live in the Houston/Galveston surrounding areas.   If you have a big house,  you can open up a business B&B&T.   Bed & Breakfast and Transportation to the pier.   This will be a good and demanding business since the Oasis class is coming to Galveston.   Earn extra money for your cruise.  :classic_cool: 🙂

Edited by StrikeEagle
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, StrikeEagle said:

Here is an  idea for those who live in the Houston/Galveston surrounding areas.   If you have a big house,  you can open up a business B&B&T.   Bed & Breakfast and Transportation to the pier.   This will be a good and demanding business since the Oasis class is coming to Galveston.   Earn extra money for your cruise.  :classic_cool: 🙂

Once they have made enough funds they might even board the same cruises as their guests, right after they drop them at the terminal.  On disembarkation day they could then drop them at the airport as well. Win, win. 

1 hour ago, StrikeEagle said:

I would not count on an Oasis class ship in Galveston. They are booking cabins on the Oasis out of Bayonne NJ in 2020

25 minutes ago, rt1092 said:

I would not count on an Oasis class ship in Galveston. They are booking cabins on the Oasis out of Bayonne NJ in 2020

The new terminal that can accommodate the Oasis-class ship will be complete in fall of 2021.

Edited by HBE4

3 hours ago, George C said:

Recently did oasis out of port  caniveral , both caniveral and Galveston I find inconvenient since both are 40 mins from airport and both have hotel issues, the plus for most people that cruise out of Galveston is they drive to port, also galveston seems to have better fares than many ports. 

This past year, I cruised out of Galveston & Port Canaveral. I'd give the edge to PC simply for the convenience of a one-way car rental.  For less than $40, I rented a compact Hertz at MCO. Just walk across the street from the terminal - no need for shuttle buses or trams to take you to the edge of the airport - and we were on our way within minutes. Dropped of the car within sight of the Oasis and within 5 minutes, the Hertz shuttle dropped us off at the pier.  Returning was just as easy and cheap.

Currently, there is no demand for one-way car rentals in Galveston so the companies do not offer it. The best option was to return the car to Texas City on the mainland and Uber back to Galveston. Not really convenient or cheap. Perhaps with the new terminal & increase in passenger, perhaps that will increase the transport options for the fly-in cruiser.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ssb said:

The Port of Galveston is a present happening player in the future cruise US marketplace......with the aggressive new port management and experienced leaders, port master plan changes,  expansive Texas and midwest growth marketplace, two international Houston airports,  new ship technologies,  LNG fuel availability in Texas,  Carnival's current presence,  RCL's long term plans, Disney's current plans and others lines coming, Southeast Texas changes occurring ,  Galveston's proximity to the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, Canal and South America and all Galveston possibly becoming port of call. 

Oh my goodness!  A Panama Canal cruise from Galveston would be amazing! 

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

We had a great cruise on the Liberty out of Galveston (even with the cold weather).  The crew and fellow passengers were fantastic.  Our three days in Galveston were really fun, getting to know the history and a feel for the island.  It's a great island.

However, it simply is not as convenient to cruise out of.

Dan

100% agree with the above.

I don't think anyone is knocking Galveston, it's great for drive-in cruisers but not as convenient for the fly-in cruises.  I sailed on the Liberty this past November but was able to stay with my daughter in Houston for a few days  prior to the cruise. The we drove down geometer, parked her car across the the street from the terminal and was on board in no time.

Again, great for drive-in and will do it again when visiting my daughter. I can also drive to Bayonne NJ in a little over an hour but my choice of ships & itineraries is limited. If I'm flying to cruise, I'll pick a Florida port 9 times out of 10, mostly for the variety it offers.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I don't think anyone is knocking Galveston, it's great for drive-in cruisers but not as convenient for the fly-in cruises.  I sailed on the Liberty this past November but was able to stay with my daughter in Houston for a few days  prior to the cruise. The we drove down geometer, parked her car across the the street from the terminal and was on board in no time.

That was supposed to say "Then we drove down Galveston, parked her car across the the street from the terminal and was on board in no time."

Didn't catch it in time to edit.

4 hours ago, ssb said:

Who is competing with Florida ports ? Not Galveston or me . My cruises in last few months were two Florida Cuba cruises Tampa and Ft Lauderdale and Quebec . 

I'm guessing every port not in Florida is competing with Florida ports.  Just like every port not in Galveston is competing with Galveston.

4 hours ago, ssb said:

Why does Florida not provide good convenient driving infrastructure for its ports ? 

We all have our attributes and are taking advantage of them . And proud of them . 

What exactly do you feel is wrong with the driving infrastructure in all of the Florida ports?

12 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

What exactly do you feel is wrong with the driving infrastructure in all of the Florida ports?

Others have said on boards it is long long drives to Florida ports . They would rather fly in . 

19 minutes ago, ssb said:

Others have said on boards it is long long drives to Florida ports . They would rather fly in . 

Oh you're talking about people driving from their home states to Florida ports.  The complaints many on this thread have been making about Galveston have to do with differences between flying to Florida ports versus flying to cruise from Galveston.

Edited by time4u2go