Long time NCL, Princess newbie

tempus137

We're platinum on NCL & taking our 1st Princess cruise on the Caribbean Princess next December 2019. It's a partial Panama Canal. 

Can anyone who's been on both lines tell us some of the biggest differences between Princess & NCL?

It seems like we can bring bottled water onboard with us, which NCL no longer permits. Before NCL made the, I used to print an extra luggage tag & stick it on a case of water and let the porters deliver it to our cabin. Can I do that with Princess?

Well the nice thing is you can bring one bottle of wine/bubbly per person of legal drinking age onboard for consumption in your cabin with no fee. We bring good champagne or Prosecco.  Any others you bring on board are subject to a 15 dollar corkage fee.  Drink where you want (within reason and logic including MDR).  If you like to have liquor in your stateroom you can pre-order a 375ml/12.5 oz bottles.  They're not cheap per se but you can do it. A bottle of Crown Royal, my fave, is 29, JD about 22, Bombay 29, Gordons 23 etc. Those are Canadian Dollars so 30 % cheaper in US$. Cheaper than the bar pricing. I can savour a nice CR on the rocks on the balcony in the evening nicely.  You can book fixed meal times if that is your desire.  We like it because you become intimate with your table staff and things just appear once they get to know you.  We made great friends of the servers on the Sapphire years ago.  Still exchange Christmas cards.  Tips and service fees are less.  Formal nights, again, love it or don't...we do.  I've not looked into the water thing, I think only Carnival allows that still, might be wrong, haven't sailed on Carnival for over a decade.  However you can pre-purchase cases of water 12x500ml and have them in your room on departure day for only about 6 US.  At 50 ish cents a bottle, you really can't do much better ashore.  Save lugging the stuff to the terminal.

Panama is great.  Hot, but great. Enjoy your trip.  We do both Cruise lines so they both have their better and worse systems.  I guess that so long as you don't continuously find what's wrong with Princess vs NCL and not what's right with Princess and NCL and enjoy for just who they are, you'll have a wonderful time.

Edited by Aesop081
left out material about water

I sailed almost exclusively on NCL for many years. Now I prefer Princess. They are just a bit more refined for my taste and age. As someone posted so far no water features and rock climbing walls. Even anytime dining is good and I've rarely had traditional dining. They have their differences but are really far more similar. It just requires a minimal amount of effort to figure out how each line manages things. 

I am Platinum with NCL and Elite with Princess. I find both lines to be very similar. Princess' beverage package is better than NCL's package because it includes coffees, water, Perrier, etc. while NCL includes none of that. The food is similar on both lines - unfortunately quality has gone slightly downhill for both. The entertainment is slightly better on NCL. I find with the newer ships on NCL (I've done Escape, Getaway) cabins are a bit nicer than the cabins on the newer Princess ships  (I've done Regal, Royal) - but that's just my opinion. Regarding the water, I've never carried that much water on board but I don't know of any restrictions on Princess. I love Caribbean Princess - I've sailed her 7 times. I think you'll enjoy the ship and find more similarities between NCL and Princess than differences.

9 hours ago, tempus137 said:

It seems like we can bring bottled water onboard with us, which NCL no longer permits. Before NCL made the, I used to print an extra luggage tag & stick it on a case of water and let the porters deliver it to our cabin. Can I do that with Princess?

Yes.

You can also bring aboard soda if you wish.

Bring on as much non-alcoholic beverage as you like. The pre-purchase price for bottled water in the cruise personlizer is decent. Works out to around 58 cents/bottle. The package is not available on board. Saves the effort to bring water on.

No shorts in DR for dinner, dress is smart casual, and two formal nights of the 10 day P.C. cruise. Check out the "what to pack" under the FAQ's.

Specialty restaurants, dinner only, include, Crown Grill and Sabatini's, both $29/pp. Planks & Steamers both $12/pp. Crab Shack held one or two nights in the buffet area, $29/pp.

Free food

DR's - good dining, no need to dine at an alternate upcharge restaurant.

International Cafe, open 24/7

Pub Lunch, held some sea days, days and location shown in the Princess Patter.

Buffet area open 5am until late evening, never closes during that time. Made to order omelettes in the aft section.

24 hour room service with no charge, except $3 for a pizza.

Salty Dog Grill and Slice Pizza by the main pool open 11am until mid evening.

Theater shows fill quickly, arrive at least 45 minutes for shows. No reservations. Some shows are simulcast in Explorer's Lounge.

"No shorts in DR for dinner, dress is smart casual, and two formal nights of the 10 day P.C. cruise."

depending on what cruise itinerary... there will be shorts in the mdr at night - esp the first and last nights.

Policy vrs reality

17 hours ago, smixsell said:

You can by a case of bottled water pre-cruise (check princess' cruise Personalizer) for a very good price. Will save you the hassle of carrying it on.

Or you can drink the water from the taps. The ship's water is (compared to most bottled water) cleaner than bottled. Ship's water is made from distillation. Bottled water is straight out of city water (with few exceptions) and treated to clean it up, i.e. take out the chlorine taste.

Any water you get on the ship from the bartender in the form of ice cubes or the water put on the table during meals is ship's water.

The word "refined" used by a previous poster resonates with me as well.  I've sailed many times on each and other lines too.  No real loyalty, but all things being equal (which they never are) I'd choose Princess over NCL.  Certainly a quieter, more serene atmosphere as well as toned down décor.  To me it appears that NCL, especially of late, is marketing to the 30 to 40 somethings whereas I think you'll find Princess in the 40 to 50 somethings with longer cruises on both lines hitting a higher age.  I'd say NCL, RCL and CCL are all more of the let's get the party started vibe.  Whereas Princess is more of a relax, you're on vacation vibe.  Those seeking the party atmosphere may find Princess boring, to me, it fits like a well broken in sneaker.

I'd pay a bit more for Princess over NCL, all other things being equal. Personally I think NCL have the best shows of any cruiseline. Their shows are always amazing. And they are full productions, not 40 minutes. They also have a lot of nightime entertainment choice. Loved their Burn The floor so much I went twice. And the Priscilla Queen of the desert show was fantastic. 

I do love Princess! Great food. I like the ships. Going on Majestic so that will be different. Read mixed reviews. 

4 hours ago, fishin' musician said:

The word "refined" used by a previous poster resonates with me as well.  I've sailed many times on each and other lines too.  No real loyalty, but all things being equal (which they never are) I'd choose Princess over NCL.  Certainly a quieter, more serene atmosphere as well as toned down décor.  To me it appears that NCL, especially of late, is marketing to the 30 to 40 somethings whereas I think you'll find Princess in the 40 to 50 somethings with longer cruises on both lines hitting a higher age.  I'd say NCL, RCL and CCL are all more of the let's get the party started vibe.  Whereas Princess is more of a relax, you're on vacation vibe.  Those seeking the party atmosphere may find Princess boring, to me, it fits like a well broken in sneaker.

That’s us. Especially the part about the “well broken in sneaker”.

Well said!!

Edited by Ep010835