EDGE REVIEWS POSTED...not very positive!

hcat

3 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Any business that has the intention of long-term survival will strive to attract new customers while retaining their current customer base. Celebrity has made it clear that Edge and its follow-on ships are targeted at "affluent" millennials. Celebrity doesn't seem to recognize that Boomers have several more years of cruising ahead of them. (Or perhaps Celebrity understands that Boomers know the difference between a veranda and a veranda-less veranda.)

We Boomers can simply sail on other more traditional (and less expensive) Celebrity ships if we don't like the direction of Edge.

• Like 2

Looking forward to our March cruise on the Edge.  Will have to weed through the comments and then plant my own garden of thoughts.  I will have to say that I do love the Reflection and if the Edge is to "edgie" for me, it will not stop me from booking another Celebrity cruise.  Right there with you TeeRick.

Celebrity might figure they need something to appeal to this age range, something they probably thought they didn’t have. So perhaps they are thinking boomers can sail on the ships they already love - M class and S class can’t possibly change that much, there’s absolutely no way to give these ships IV cabins, and their current structure must remain the same. That’s not to say they won’t make certain areas suite-access only and that’s unfortunate for those who can’t sail in suites or just prefer not to. It all comes down to one simple thing - when you already love or are happy with a product, it’s very difficult to accept change. I loved Celebrity after sailing on Millennium when she was brand new. I still love that experience they provided 18 years ago and it’s definitely made many changes since then. Many improvements, but also many cutbacks. It’s very easy to remember how it used to be, formal nights, traditional dining, impeccable service - for one not even having to carry my own tray in ocean view! No, it’s not the same anymore, and while Edge has many improvements, it’s clear they’re trying to do do away with some of the more traditional things. The balcony furniture limiting room service says “younger cruisers are more active and prefer to go grab a bite to eat rather than order in” and in that regard are discouraging the use of room service altogether. Established cruisers will definitely notice this. New cruisers? Maybe not so much.

I fall into the age range they’re targeting but I think they may have needed to do a little more market research to understand us better on the entertainment front. Perhaps they think interactive entertainment is what we like, but I find it bothering, weird, and annoying. Maybe even giving me an uncomfortable feeling, similar to when you’re shopping in a store and you just want to be left alone and the salesperson keeps bothering you. I also don’t think I identified with my own age group in many ways (not a partier in college, didn’t go to social events just to go and be seen) so maybe that also excludes me in a sense and a reason I’m scratching my head over Eden, but it’s clear they didn’t think of everything, re: the wind problems at the Rooftop Garden Grill and Magic Carpet (sorry, that’s not rocket science so I REALLY don’t know how that was overlooked) but it’s apparent they were just so focused on the new new and excitement of the future of cruising that they forgot some things. Things on Edge will change, and hopefully for the better. I do hope that after Apex they offer more regular balcony choices on the later Edge class ships and about half the IVs, but they won’t make an executive decision on that unless IVs don’t sell. Time will tell, again.

On 12/12/2018 at 11:16 AM, CruisingTheWaves said:

Side note - those falling into the 34-35 age range category don’t exactly identify with the “millennial” name. We identify as “xennials” - we grew up differently with  different mindsets to classify us as a separate generation. Simple for us to transition to modern day technology, however we didn’t have it growing up. 

At the risk of going way off topic, I can relate to this.  I was born in '81 and always thought of myself as Gen X.  Then Pew Research changed the definition of Millennials to include people born between 81-96.  So I'm either the oldest Millennial or the youngest Gen X!   

Edited by MacMarauder

Belonging to the often touted, supposedly new target demographic of "affluent millenial", or at least "on the edge of millenial" with me age 39 and my wife age 34 , I'm following the Edge threads with a lot of interest and some serious head scratching, if not banging... 

What is X thinking? They definitely don't get this generation, in my opinion! Also, within that age group, there are some things that I find are fairly "universal", therefore easy, like the preference for digitalisation, apps and easy online checkin (some things, which X seems to migrate to now), but there are other aspects where the group is extremely diverse, with strong pointed/particular interests. And for the diversity part (party, entertainment, food, luxury vs value, "traditional" cruising vs modern/"freestyle" they seem to try some of everything, but nothing consequently. The problem is, this doesn't work and simply does not come across as authentic. 

We are Elite with X after taking quite a few S and M class cruises ten to fiveish years ago, in fact the Solstice was our first love and got us hooked to cruising and to this date remains our favourite ship, ex aequo with the Eclipse. 

Sad thing is, Celebrity started to price us out of value even before Edge, and most definitely with the Edge. The continously rising prices right now are simply hilarious. 

Let's look at what we loved on S class:

- Beautiful public spaces with a high area per passenger ratio

- Being able to enjoy the ship from front (full width observation lounge) to back (sunset bar) 

- Beautiful balconies, especially on the hump (size, view) 

- quality live music that somewhat compensated the lack of party / other entertainment and mediocre shows

- good food without queueing in lines outside the MDR

- "event gastronomy" like q-sine

- free room service, sushi and other "only on cruises" perks.

- many whirlpools and persian gardens

- limited nickle-and-dimeing and many quiet/chill areas on the ship that did not constantly yell $$$. (lawn, library, sunset bar)

- awesome food

- we most definitely would have liked more music/party, but at the same time also liked formal nights. 

now compare that to Edge, about the only areas that seem to hold would be mostly food related.

Looking at the Edge media hype but also CC posts & review in contrast and forming this millenial's opinion, the appeal is quite a bit lower and certainly not justifying a premium price other than some "newness" factor. 

The app control of your staterom is cool, but hey that's nothing that could not be retrofitted and certainly not what makes or breaks a cruise. 

on the other hand, my list of dislikes just keeps growing, starting with the "infinite veranda" tunnel-vision-deluxe-oceanview cabins... 

glad there are alternatives in the market. We've found a new home for now on the German TUI cruises "Mein Schiff" fleet (highly recommended, though less glitzy, but great value). And definitely following Virgin (they get the generation IMHO, problem is, will be strictly no kids).

Re the Edge, i wish Celebrity hurts its head really bad really quickly (so it doesn't come extra costly over time) with all the Edonist weirdness, IV cabins, exclusive and roped off areas and so on, so they can make adjustments to the new builds and re-focus on their former strenghts. Maybe with some "younger" music and entertainment. 

• Like 2

All of this talk about who X is trying to attract is driving me crazy. This along with the comment about needing to appeal to younger cruisers to replace boomers who apparently are about to all die in the next few years is nonsense. You do realize that the current 40 year olds will be 50 years old in 10 years and 55 in 15 more years. Tastes change as you age and it may be wiser for X to simply maintain their current model with a few tweaks on their new ships and allow Millennials and Gen Xers to age into their product rather than trying to chase them now. We are cruising on Edge in February and we do look forward to our dinner in Eden even with all of the current comments from the peanut gallery saying they hope it dies a slow and painful death even before they have experienced it. 

Just my opinion. Remember that Boomers are currently ages 54 - 72. There’s a lot of cruising years left in these old bones. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, kearney said:

Here is a review from someone who got a free two day preview cruise... so only 2000 on board... and free drinks etc... but interesting perspective from a non cruiser. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-6480143/What-like-sail-Celebrity-Cruises-Celebrity-Edge.html

Interesting  but the Article seemed like a  PR  piece. Not familiar with the author..but seemed too exuberant and effusive.

Professional photos were some of the best yet,,,they are all clearly copyrighted.

Hi there. I am not a “regular” on CC. I come on when planning a cruise, but don’t tend to write reviews. We booked the original maiden voyage - it leaves on 12/16 over a year ago while onboard the Constellation. We have also cruised on the Summit and our first  Celebrity cruise was on the Reflection. (We’ve also cruised Carnival and RC) Reviews are difficult because people are so different. I tend to be pretty easy to please and difficult to frustrate - I’ll enjoy what others will pick apart. I will attempt to leave an honest review when we return - I’m hoping for the best!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RICCruisers said:

All of this talk about who X is trying to attract is driving me crazy. This along with the comment about needing to appeal to younger cruisers to replace boomers who apparently are about to all die in the next few years is nonsense. You do realize that the current 40 year olds will be 50 years old in 10 years and 55 in 15 more years. Tastes change as you age and it may be wiser for X to simply maintain their current model with a few tweaks on their new ships and allow Millennials and Gen Xers to age into their product rather than trying to chase them now. We are cruising on Edge in February and we do look forward to our dinner in Eden even with all of the current comments from the peanut gallery saying they hope it dies a slow and painful death even before they have experienced it. 

Just my opinion. Remember that Boomers are currently ages 54 - 72. There’s a lot of cruising years left in these old bones. 

I agree.  Back when General Motors was dominating the auto industry, Alfred Sloan had a clear picture of how their brands matched up with people's life phases:  Chevy was your first car, Pontiac when you got a raise, Oldsmobile when you got an office, Buick when you got a corner office, and Cadillac when you made C-suite.  There was no need to try to sell Oldsmobiles to young people – they just waited for them to grow into the Olds demographic.  [When they started running that ad "Not your father's Oldsmobile," you knew they were desperate...]  

I wish RCL would do the same with their brands, but they seem to be falling into the later GM mode when you couldn't tell one brand from another.  [Remember the early 60's Pontiac Tempest, Buick Special and Olds F-85?  Almost identical except for the tail lights, and the beginning of the end for GM as we knew it.]  Royal and Celebrity seem to be growing ever closer together, which IMHO is a shame and a mistake.

On 12/12/2018 at 8:03 AM, hcat said:

I get that times and demographics change,  but a younger refined cruiser  would likely be repelled by some of the EDEN  nonsense!

...and they already are, judging by several comments I've stumbled over. 

However, I am curious to learn what - in your view - defines a "young refined cruiser"? 🙂

On 12/13/2018 at 12:16 AM, CruisingTheWaves said:

...Point being, it’s good they’re trying new things. It’s good they’re trying to appeal to a larger demographic. I think they will find though that to keep their loyal cruisers, they will need to find that happy medium on all fronts, especially the changed aspects. This was an experiment, and they’re listening because they KNOW they don’t have it right just yet..."

Thank you for bringing up a definition of a LARGER demographic!

Saying that X wants - badly, if you consider experiment of a ....llion dollars worth (Edge) - to appeal to a YOUNGER demographic sounds too belittling to me, I don't know how about the rest of the devoted X cruisers... "Happy medium" is another very good description of what I would have expected from a company who won me over with the Solstice maiden voyage for good. 

It is nice to set up an experiment, but you better be damn sure before you start it that you would at least get some kickback from your money spent on it, otherwise you might end up like Renaissance. Their R ships were NOT the reason for a company going belly under, they are still in operation and doing darn well, almost two decades after commissioning ...

17 hours ago, kearney said:

Here is a review from someone who got a free two day preview cruise... so only 2000 on board... and free drinks etc... but interesting perspective from a non cruiser. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-6480143/What-like-sail-Celebrity-Cruises-Celebrity-Edge.html

"There are several parts of the 3,000-passenger ship that blew Samantha away, including Eden, pictured. It’s a stunning garden-themed restaurant, which offers an action-packed dining experience" - I am sorry but this is SOOOO PR'ed, I can't stop giggling.....

"Action-packed dining experience"!!!

"Garden-themed restaurant"!!!

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I agree.  Back when General Motors was dominating the auto industry, Alfred Sloan had a clear picture of how their brands matched up with people's life phases:  Chevy was your first car, Pontiac when you got a raise, Oldsmobile when you got an office, Buick when you got a corner office, and Cadillac when you made C-suite.  There was no need to try to sell Oldsmobiles to young people – they just waited for them to grow into the Olds demographic.  [When they started running that ad "Not your father's Oldsmobile," you knew they were desperate...]  

I wish RCL would do the same with their brands, but they seem to be falling into the later GM mode when you couldn't tell one brand from another.  [Remember the early 60's Pontiac Tempest, Buick Special and Olds F-85?  Almost identical except for the tail lights, and the beginning of the end for GM as we knew it.]  Royal and Celebrity seem to be growing ever closer together, which IMHO is a shame and a mistake.

Remember when GM got Edgie and introduced Saturn?  Well guess what happened to that.  

Edited by TeeRick

12 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

Sorry you took issue with my comment on us Boomers not lasting forever.  An attempt at humor.  I will cruise until the day I can't make it to the buffet anymore!

• Haha 1

I take no offense at anything other posters have to say. It’s their opinion and they have ever right to express it even if I feel they are way off base. My biggest gripe is with posters that insist on making the same comments on every thread whether or not they add anything new to the discussion. But again, that is their right and who am I to say they shouldn’t do it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am sure most readers will not like this, but here is my one cent:

Before I start, I would like to make sure that everybody understands that appreciation towards the loyals cannot be understated. Without them, there is no cruising industry. 

But, business is business.

A lot of my friends are in the higher level of the Celebrity/ RC status rating. Guess what, they get the BEST discounts available, allowing to go 3-5 times a year.

The younger cruisers in my group pay top dollars and are able to cruise 2x a year. They do not have loyalty levels because they do not stick to one cruise line. They try everything and not ready to be a “loyal” to one. 

This group is what I believe Celebrity is trying to attract.

It is not because Celebrity or any cruise line is trying to ignore their loyals, but that they need to pay the bills. The loyals are still very important to them, as we other passengers acknowledge that. Celebrity is trying to get new passengers to become loyals one day, when they current loyals are enjoying their even wonderful cruises in heaven.

19 minutes ago, Jesseslola said:

A lot of my friends are in the higher level of the Celebrity/ RC status rating. Guess what, they get the BEST discounts available, allowing to go 3-5 times a year.

The younger cruisers in my group pay top dollars and are able to cruise 2x a year. They do not have loyalty levels because they do not stick to one cruise line. They try everything and not ready to be a “loyal” to one. 

This group is what I believe Celebrity is trying to attract.

It is not because Celebrity or any cruise line is trying to ignore their loyals, but that they need to pay the bills. The loyals are still very important to them, as we other passengers acknowledge that. Celebrity is trying to get new passengers to become loyals one day, when they current loyals are enjoying their even wonderful cruises in heaven.

Please ask your friends in the higher level with X or RC to teach the rest how to get the BEST discounts available 🙂

Apologies for perhaps sarcastic tone, I just believe that this is at least an overstatement - I wish I would have a chance to say the same, and I am a "loyal" with both X and O, but I can't seemingly get those BEST discounts you - or your friends - are referring to... As someone mentioned in one of the threads here: on the contrary, "loyals" are not going anywhere, they will buy and sail with their cruise line because of the perks more than because of supposed discounts... plus, the sport of catching a good deal has a little to do with loyalty programs, it is more related to a trusted TA or good word from fellow cruisers etc. ...  however, newbies - especially in the new markets/new countries - will definitely get better deals...  Once I sailed on O with a number of Asians and Russians who were in the same, or higher, stateroom categories and paid by 1-2K less for 10 day cruise on Nautica than we did with our loyalty program. I myself once have got a great deal on X Fiji cruise because X just started selling in my city-state in Asia, and they were literally throwing great deals left and right to win a new market - I've got that deal without even mentioning the loyalty program... so you are right, business is business, but under entirely different angle.

As to younger cruisers trying different cruise lines, this is just as correct as ANY other age category - it is a common practice for many beginners, regardless of the age. When we began cruising, we were doing the same, and we were not young, sorry to admit... We all know many people past 40 or even 50 who just started cruising, so age has little to do with trying different lines. 

Lastly, your statement about X not ignoring their loyals, but they have to pay the bills... I am sorry once again. Cruising is a multi-billion dollar business, I am not going to bore you with math, but trust me they do quite well, so skimping on a few perks for loyals while hoping that the "younger generation" would replace current loyals sounds like a strange business practice to me (if this is true), because X could very much loose far more current devotees than win the newer ones... At least it seems that Edge is not playing to the tune that X's PR campaign was setting it for.

I will sail on the Edge in January, and I will enjoy the cruise, the people, the food, and the service - this is what is always there, be it the Edge or Nautica or even a good old Windstar Spirit.

Once again, my apologies if you find my post too aggressive - my skepticism sometimes spills out far wider than it should. I wish you a happy cruising!

• Like 1

I think it is difficult to go after a market that is into texting, instagram, video gaming and techno music while also satisfying a market that is either less interested in these or perhaps even hostile towards the whole internet of everything concept and electronic everything. So it will be difficult to attract new people and keep the old... you are going to offend someone... the question is can you hold onto enough while attracting more than you lose.  It will be interesting to watch this experiment. To be honest I am glad to be on an early sailing so I can see the original concept before it goes through further transformation. One thing I find interesting is getting rid of basketball... which involves people interacting LIVE with other people and essentially replacing this old school physical activity with those bikes where you interact online with people biking. Even the pool is designed for laps a solitary activity... vs volleyball.  So the technology oriented can come on a ship and still succeed in minimal interaction... and not miss a beat on their phones....   I wonder if there is a market for a non tech ship with no internet... expect perhaps for emergencies. ... where you have to interact....  Given the focus on technology..it is odd that they include sprites... seems that does not appeal to either end of the spectrum.. Well it will be interesting to experience

Marylander2, no need to apologize. I am sure you have far more experience than I do with regards to cruising.  However, we have sailed with the people I mentioned and compared rates, and for sure, they are paying less than we do, plus perks!

We do not feel animosity towards this, we are happy that they get these perks, maybe we need to sail more. Just trying to give my thoughts on the reasons for the changes.

KEarney, good point.  It is echoed by the way they have no passenger choir, that would require people getting together rather than sitting solitary, plugged in, staring at a screen.  Trivia — the Activities Staff happily said “you can play it all by yourself, in your room or up at the pool,” no need to get together, meet new people, form a team.  Like that was a good thing.  Similarlym there are No pick-up bridge games.  I was referred to some great apps where you can play against the machine.  Why compete with real live people?  One of them might trump your ace, but the machine will never do that!  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kearney said:

I think it is difficult to go after a market that is into texting, instagram, video gaming and techno music while also satisfying a market that is either less interested in these or perhaps even hostile towards the whole internet of everything concept and electronic everything. So it will be difficult to attract new people and keep the old... you are going to offend someone... the question is can you hold onto enough while attracting more than you lose.  It will be interesting to watch this experiment. To be honest I am glad to be on an early sailing so I can see the original concept before it goes through further transformation. One thing I find interesting is getting rid of basketball... which involves people interacting LIVE with other people and essentially replacing this old school physical activity with those bikes where you interact online with people biking. Even the pool is designed for laps a solitary activity... vs volleyball.  So the technology oriented can come on a ship and still succeed in minimal interaction... and not miss a beat on their phones....   I wonder if there is a market for a non tech ship with no internet... expect perhaps for emergencies. ... where you have to interact....  Given the focus on technology..it is odd that they include sprites... seems that does not appeal to either end of the spectrum.. Well it will be interesting to experience

If you go to a high end resort in south Beach (W Hotel, SLS, Faena Hotel) You WILL NOT find a basketball court anywhere. THOSE hotels are the EXACT experience Celebrity is trying to duplicate with The Edge. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

KEarney, good point.  It is echoed by the way they have no passenger choir, that would require people getting together rather than sitting solitary, plugged in, staring at a screen.  Trivia — the Activities Staff happily said “you can play it all by yourself, in your room or up at the pool,” no need to get together, meet new people, form a team.  Like that was a good thing.  Similarlym there are No pick-up bridge games.  I was referred to some great apps where you can play against the machine.  Why compete with real live people?  One of them might trump your ace, but the machine will never do that!  

That’s interesting.  I thought maybe since we were on a 3 day they weren’t running all the activities as usual so I didn’t think too much about it.  I’ll be curious to hear reviews as more full sailings happen and if these activities are added back.  That would be a real shame.