EDGE REVIEWS POSTED...not very positive!

hcat

9 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Wow! your expectations are very different then mine would be . An expensive summer Mediterranean cruise out of a fabulous city on a brand new ship - My hopes for a amazing cruise would be very high .

I care more about the places i'm going to see than the ship itself - after doing so many cruises in the Caribbean where half the time we just hung out on the ship and didn't really care about the activities or shows - we were just going to get away.... now we cruise for sight seeing and in many respects the ship is just a floating hotel  - do I want a nice room sure - but my wife doesn't drink and for as much as I do, I really don't - we like seeing simple shows and as well as larger productions - we like seeing the cirque shows.

This is what is nice about cruising is that for those that want the ship to be the destination it can be and for those that just look at it as the means of transportation that works too - 

One thing to note and that I find interesting - is that the riverboat cruises (which we haven't done yet as we have a 5 yr old) cost just the same if not more than some of basic (non suite) cabins on Celebrity - and you aren't getting nearly all the bells and whistles as what you get on Celebrity.

I guess my overall point is that while the reviews maybe coming in negative - it is a matter of perspective and what the expectations are.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, pl281 said:

I care more about the places i'm going to see than the ship itself - after doing so many cruises in the Caribbean where half the time we just hung out on the ship and didn't really care about the activities or shows - we were just going to get away.... now we cruise for sight seeing and in many respects the ship is just a floating hotel  - do I want a nice room sure - but my wife doesn't drink and for as much as I do, I really don't - we like seeing simple shows and as well as larger productions - we like seeing the cirque shows.

This is what is nice about cruising is that for those that want the ship to be the destination it can be and for those that just look at it as the means of transportation that works too - 

One thing to note and that I find interesting - is that the riverboat cruises (which we haven't done yet as we have a 5 yr old) cost just the same if not more than some of basic (non suite) cabins on Celebrity - and you aren't getting nearly all the bells and whistles as what you get on Celebrity.

I guess my overall point is that while the reviews maybe coming in negative - it is a matter of perspective and what the expectations are.

For "transportation"  we take older ships like Summit to Bermuda, Infinity  to Pacific Coastal... Connie in Europe .  Concept  works great. We may try Grandeur down the East coast..older ship, nice itin

EDGE is  billed as more than a floating hotel,,...but more  as a  radical game changer in Celebrity culture,  dining and entertainment.  If you like cirque shows you will likely enjoy EDGE.  We will find out soon if it suits us...or we need to move on...

1 hour ago, Pennstateman said:

I found some of the  ice cubes were not a perfect square, and in one or two cases resembled somewhat of a rectangle shape.  Could have been an isosceles triangle, not 100% sure

Yes that's a biggie--- ice cubes are not rubiks cube shape. Anyone in on a class action suit-- I demand square cube?  

We are serious cruisers and also find it's about our time off and travel.  I also have to say-- we've never hated any cruise-- some get higher praise then others but that's due to the people-- not the product.  We make it our own ship -- never thought anyone was with us on them. #82 with NCL,Carn,RCI and Cele.  

• Like 1

My disappointment in the Edge reviews (both here on the Boards and in the Reviews section) is not the new-ship teething issues but this:  instead of taking the opportunity of a brand new class of ships to offer a refreshed experience of Modern Luxury, Celebrity has clearly decided to become a middle-age version of Royal Caribbean.  I now dread the Edge-ification of their older ships, as I expect it will be the end of my Celebrity bookings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Most people don't like change and react to things that are different than what they are used to.  This is a new class of ship so basically you might say that it is a "beta" that needs to be tweaked and Celebrity I'm sure will take some things into consideration with Apex and others.  Will there be negatives? Sure nothing or no one is perfect - it's the overall experience of taking a cruise, not that the veranda was small.  I have taken over 30 cruises and my one complaint on almost every cruise is about the passengers who are rude. When we sail on Edge in January, I'm sure we will have some things that we're not used to or some things we don't like but we will enjoy our cruise regardless. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My disappointment in the Edge reviews (both here on the Boards and in the Reviews section) is not the new-ship teething issues but this:  instead of taking the opportunity of a brand new class of ships to offer a refreshed experience of Modern Luxury, Celebrity has clearly decided to become a middle-age version of Royal Caribbean.  I now dread the Edge-ification of their older ships, as I expect it will be the end of my Celebrity .

Not only the next step up or move over for Royal C, Norwegian and Carnival cruisers....but the end of Celeb Modern Luxury (maybe still in suites) 

We'll give  EDGE a fair chance on 2 sep cruises and diff  accomodations..but not expecting  a Celeb  style cruise per se.

Reviews by the regular cruising public will be very important. Those who were on the Preview cruises are probably travel agents,   travel bloggers, and industry insiders. I guess probably a few are cruisers with seniority with Celebrity. The next few cruises will be by people who have been on prior Celebrity ships and will be able to compare.  I guess a few of the short December cruises were bookable by the general public, but I would not be able to go on a cruise during December as already so many parties are going on here at home I would not want to miss. I don't like the drab colors or the scope and size of the furniture in the regular       rooms. Not even a full size sofa or a table and chairs for eating en suite.   So many extras to pay for if you are not in a suite.That and the fact that areas are off limits and no  observation area for all is very disappointing. I know it is probably not such an issuefor a Caribbean cruise but imagine sailing into Malta or Montenegro without that forward view from the top of the ship.  

Edited by kkmiausa
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

Reviews by the regular cruising public will be very important. Those who were on the Preview cruises are probably travel agents,   travel bloggers, and industry insiders. I guess probably a few are cruisers with seniority with Celebrity. The next few cruises will be by people who have been on prior Celebrity ships and will be able to compare.  I guess a few of the short December cruises were bookable by the general public, but I would not be able to go on a cruise during December as already so many parties are going on here at home I would not want to miss. I don't like the drab colors or the scope and size of the furniture in the regular       rooms. Not even a full size sofa or a table and chairs for eating en suite.   So many extras to pay for if you are not in a suite.That and the fact that areas are off limits and no  observation area for all is very disappointing. I know it is probably not such an issuefor a Caribbean cruise but imagine sailing into Malta or Montenegro without that forward view from the top of the ship.  

Normally reviews from pre-revenue cruises like this are dismissed because those non-paying passengers are assumed to be too kind to the cruise line.  So if these early reviews are bad, whoa mama! when the paying customers start putting in their reviews :classic_ohmy:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Normally reviews from pre-revenue cruises like this are dismissed because those non-paying passengers are assumed to be too kind to the cruise line.  So if these early reviews are bad, whoa mama! when the paying customers start putting in their reviews :classic_ohmy:

We were paying customers albeit through Broward United Way.  If I were to do a review it would be a 2/3.  We weren’t awed by the Infinity Veranda furniture or space.  Friends  kindly invited us for a glass of wine in their S1 mid ship and it was the same sad veranda furniture as our IV.  

We are booked in an aft S1 and will stick with it as it sails in January.  Hopefully some of the things we disliked on our last cruise will be fixed.  An example of this would be the noise in the Grand Plaza/Martini Bar/al Bacio, you couldn’t carry on a conversation from 5-10pm.

Thank you for your honesty in how you came to be on this cruise. I see that  Celebrity donated 100 per cent of the proceeds for 250  rooms wow!  Tax deductible is not  a bad way to cruise. I appreciate your assessment of the ship.  I hope you enjoy your January cruise. Maybe you can bring your own fold up lounger since you are also a local.

Edited by kkmiausa
should be is not

If you want to get a giggle, go look at the cost of a transatlantic for Edge in November. Everyone knows that transatlantics are usually very good deals, I would not call $40,000 for Edge Villa  a bargain 🙂 A mere Sky Suite is over $18,000 each.  Unbelievable.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

Thank you for your honesty in how you came to be on this cruise. I see that  Celebrity donated 100 per cent of the proceeds for 250  rooms wow!  Tax deductible is not  a bad way to cruise. I appreciate your assessment of the ship.  I hope you enjoy your January cruise. Maybe you can bring your own fold up lounger since you are also a local.

Wrong, it was not tax deductible and we all paid way more for this cruise because it was for a charity. I wish you thought of us all doing a really good thing for a good cause instead of making comments about us getting a tax break.,  WE DID NOT.

It is sad how people are already starting moaning. Everyone should have their own experience about this ship. Personally, I think the ship (according to the pictures) is great. I like the cabin (even the balcony) I like the facilities. I also have no problems with changes. It doesn´t matter if it's a ship or something else. Maybe it's because I'm only 32 years old. 😉 Reviews should always be taken with a pinch of salt ... You never know what the background is.

There are only two elevator areas on the Eclipse!!!  As many as on the Edge.

And if there are many reviews of new cruisers then you have to be careful anyways. These people come to the ship with very different expectations than a celebrity cruiser.

The only thing I don´t like is that there is no sky observation lounge anymore in the front of the ship. That´s very disappointing for me. But hey there is a big! observation lounge in Eden! J

And as someone has already written: This is the beta! With the Solstice class there were also continuous improvements. The Reflection looks different than the solstice.

Edited by Celebrity Liner
  • Like 1

we were on Silhouettes first 12 night cruise after shorter Travel Agent ones and she too did not get good reviews. We could not understand all the moaning. Am guessing that it will be the same here. 'Re cancelling ... we can't really anyway in the UK as we don't get our flights and deposit back and if we could we would still wait to make our own minds up. Just my thoughts.... am going to go and enjoy.

• Like 3

I find it interesting that the press so far has been nearly 100% positive.  I've read many articles about the Edge and I've never seen one that evens hints at issues a traveler might have with the IV cabins.  Articles stating that IV cabins are revolutionary etc.  However reading the boards, reviews, comments to YouTube videos of the IV is completely different.

It's strange how right now there seems to be a disconnect between the professionals (who include a lot of travel agencies so maybe there's my answer) and the consumer.  

As with anything new, there are going to be unexpected issues. The thing to watch is how these things are addressed. If they aren't addressed, we will have something to complain about. I saw them trying to address issues over the 3 cruises. An example: we ate in Fine Cut Steakhouse on the 27th and heard the very loud Martini Bar below (luckily we were tucked further inside so it wasn't too loud for us). We ate there again on Dec 1 (yes, it is that good!) and the music was low key until 10:15 as we were finishing up (we had a 9:00 reservation). We sat right by the rail overlooking the Martini Bar and it looked like a lovely place to hang out and enjoy quiet music. They obviously listened to people and changed.

Those of us on the early cruises get to enjoy the adventure and discovery of a new ship, but will likely experience some glitches. Some want it all - the adventure and perfection, so set themselves up for disappointment. Hopefully, the fixable issues will be fixed and the issues inherent in the ship's structure will turn out to be non-issues (such as issues with infinite verandas). I personally would give it 6-12 months to get a better feel of which way this ship will go.

PS: I also am not in the travel industry, media or have any affiliation with Celebrity, but I am more of a glass 3/4 full person. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My disappointment in the Edge reviews (both here on the Boards and in the Reviews section) is not the new-ship teething issues but this:  instead of taking the opportunity of a brand new class of ships to offer a refreshed experience of Modern Luxury, Celebrity has clearly decided to become a middle-age version of Royal Caribbean.  I now dread the Edge-ification of their older ships, as I expect it will be the end of my Celebrity bookings.

Hi Jazz.  I'm not sure what you actually mean by your comment.  For me, I also enjoy RCCL ships on occasion and I have had some fantastic experiences on them.  I am looking forward to sailing on Harmony right before Edge back to back.  Yes they are different and have amusement park features for families.  Celebrity in general does not do this on any of their ships and particularly not on Edge.  I have sailed Anthem which is generally a very nice ship and perhaps Edge shares a few features.  Some compare Eden with Two70.  But explain how the innovations like the IV cabins and the MC and the Retreat and the great artwork and elegant features on Edge makes it into a middle aged RCCL?  Not following your thoughts so I apologize.  I look forward to hopefully meeting you on our Jan 20th Edge cruise.

Edited by TeeRick

Perhaps Royal Caribbean isn't the right comparison.  My big beef with Celebrity is how noisy their ships have become, which I assume is an attempt to mimic the 'high energy' atmosphere of Carnival, NCL and Royal.  That was never part of Celebrity's original atmosphere, and to me it is the opposite of Luxury.

Looking forward to meeting you too, if we can find a quiet place to talk!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oville said:

Wrong, it was not tax deductible and we all paid way more for this cruise because it was for a charity. I wish you thought of us all doing a really good thing for a good cause instead of making comments about us getting a tax break.,  WE DID NOT.

You took this totally the wrong way!!!!!!!!!!I really meant it was nice to take a cruise that I presumed was also tax deductible, and the reason I say that is because I have chaired multiple charity events where things like cruises were donated and the people who bid on them could use them as tax deductions!!! Maybe you were not aware that you could deduct them?   We go to charity events all the time and never even bother to use the deductions. Why did you attack me like this?  Also it was amazing that Celebrity donated those cabins. 

Under normal circumstances, the amount you can deduct is only the difference between what you paid for an item and the actual retail value. If you paid less than the retail value, none of it is tax deductible. This is for US Federal Income Taxes. 

• Like 1

We love to hear those fortunate ones that have never met a cruise they did not like. Your so lucky. We experienced a time aboard the Regent Sea some years ago, when a fire broke out aboard ship. The ship stopped dead in its tracks. Crew were racing down to the pool to fill buckets of water and race back to the fire.  No electricity, no air conditioning, panic began to set in amongst the passengers. Passengers were fighting over lounge chairs to sleep out on deck.  The ship set out an SOS and the passengers quieted down when they saw a freighter come to our rescue.  Word passed around to be prepared to abandon ship if necessary. The freighter stayed along side us until the ship was able to get things under control and power was restored. The freighter's leaving was then a reassuring sign to all of us. To this day I always carry a small flash light to find our way to and from our cabin.Also we learned to always count the number of steps from our cabin to the nearest exit. Do not count on the emergency lighting to work. This incident changed my opinion of my fellow man, I became the misanthrope I now claim to be. No women and children first with this group, just every man for himself. It was one of the most unpalatable experiences of our lives. The cruise line gave everyone a voucher for a free weeks cruise any time in the future. The following day the injured crew member, all bandage up from his burns was introduced and given a standing ovation at the pool deck for saving the ship.

5 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Under normal circumstances, the amount you can deduct is only the difference between what you paid for an item and the actual retail value. If you paid less than the retail value, none of it is tax deductible. This is for US Federal Income Taxes. 

Yes absolutely and it was amazing that Celebrity made this contribution to United Way and the poster stated he had paid more than the cost so that difference is definitely deductible . Why my post was taken as a negative I do not understand! 

Edited by kkmiausa

4 hours ago, MacMarauder said:

I find it interesting that the press so far has been nearly 100% positive.  I've read many articles about the Edge and I've never seen one that evens hints at issues a traveler might have with the IV cabins.  Articles stating that IV cabins are revolutionary etc.  However reading the boards, reviews, comments to YouTube videos of the IV is completely different.

It's strange how right now there seems to be a disconnect between the professionals (who include a lot of travel agencies so maybe there's my answer) and the consumer.  

You mean like this ?

Live From Celebrity Edge: 5 Features We Love

Edited by richstowe

15 minutes ago, richstowe said:

You mean like this ?

Live From Celebrity Edge: 5 Features We Love

We cannot forget that while the forums are open to us posters, Cruise Critic advertises these cruise lines. I am sure they don't do it for free 🙂

10 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

We cannot forget that while the forums are open to us posters, Cruise Critic advertises these cruise lines. I am sure they don't do it for free 🙂

Totally true but at what point is "News" nothing more than promotional material . And the Edge news has been particularly adlike .