Brief Celebrity Edge December 9-16, 2018 Review with links to Photos

loupana

Brief review of our cruise…Celebrity Edge December 9-16, 2018.

Loved the ship, food, service and cruise.

Cabin

We stayed in a Panoramic Oceanview Cabin 6138. Absolutely loved this cabin, best bathroom design I’ve seen for a standard type cabin. Shower is larger than normal, excellent storage (Maybe could use a little more room to hang items).

Room was serviced perfectly twice daily.

Ship

We thought the ship was beautiful. After just getting off the MSC Seaside, which was an amazing cruise, but that ship design is all chrome, mirrors and flashing lights. We loved the color scheme and design of Edge. 

Dinner

We ate in a different location every day. Service in all locations was fantastic.

In addition to the 4 main dining rooms, we ate at the following venues

Eve at Eden which was a fantastic dinner but realize it’s is not for everyone. So please look at the menu before booking and decide if it’s something you want to try. Also the Eden performers interact with you during dinner.

Fine Cut Steakhouse was excellent food and service.

Le Petite Chef was lots of fun and we loved it.

Breakfast Lunch

Breakfast and Lunch in in Oceanview Cafe was good, some items could have been hotter. But excellent layout and loads of seating.

Breakfast or Lunch at Eden Cafe -  excellent breakfast and lunch sandwiches

We had lunch at Le Grand Bistro which was very good but not sure if it’s worth the extra cost.

Lunch on the Magic Carpet, excellent food but not very comfortable seating. We sat at a high top and the stools were too high for the hight of the table.

Lunch at the Roof Top Garden Grill was amazing, but you sure get a lot of food so if you plan on eating there it’s worth it, but please skip breakfast that day…

Entertainment

Theater was amazing, shows for us were hit and miss.

The Club had an event called Club Andromeda. They scan you when you enter give you a card and that’s your character. Some guy came over and started asking us questions and we were suppose to answer based on the character we were. We were told we must go talk the the scavenger so we found her and all she said was she wants to see us on the dance floor. Wife sat with a fortune teller, not sure what that was about. We stayed for an hour expecting something to happen and no one seemed to know what to do or what was going on so we left…not sure what this event was. Not sure if Celebrity is the right demographic for this kind of event.

Eden was a beautiful place lots of people had issues with the performers walking around and interacting with them. I didn’t like it at first but we went back and did end up enjoying watching the performance that night.

Mexican Entertainers

The port stop in Cozumel was extended until 11PM. They brought on lots of Mexican entertainers and we really enjoyed them. Especially the Aqua Ballet and band playing on the resort deck. Celebrity CEO (LLP) made a brief speech before the show and i do mean brief.

Free Gifts

We got two nice water canisters one night. On the second last night we were conveniently given a picture frame with a photo of the Edge on one side and an empty slot for an 8x10 on the other. So off we go to the photo studio and purchase an 8x10.

Hiccups

One day coming back onto the ship the card scanning system was not working, they had to manually make note we were back on the ship, delayed us maybe 2 minutes no big deal.

Tender in Grand Cayman was a bit of a nightmare, not a problem for us we had no plans I just wanted to get on the new tender. Others were extremely vocal to the point of abusing the staff.

As far as stuff to do on the ship, I feel they were lacking free activities in the planner, I’m sure this will improve in the future.

Major issue just before dinner on the last night…Not Celebrity’s Fault…

Just before dinner I got notice that we’ve been bumped from our flight home and were rebooked to leave over 24 hours later than planned. Not an option for us we needed to be back to work on Monday.

Called Air2Sea 1800 number, very rude person instantly dismissed me and told me to go to Guest Services. I asked what is Guest Services going to do to help with my flight, I was just told…”Do you NOT understand how to follow a basic direction” I ask again for clarification on what Guest Services would do for me again I was told he would not discuss anything with me and to go to Guest Services.

I went to Guest Services and they were stumped as to what to do with my flight, so they called Air2Sea and ended up sending them an email with my issue and my flight details, and within a couple of hours they got a return email from Air2Sea with a new flight for me that only got me home 1 hour later than planned. The best part was all flights were booked for us in Business Class. Ended up with an excellent trip home but ruined 2-3 hours of our last day scrambling what we were going to do.

Link to Celebrity Today Planners already uploaded in another thread

Links to photos…

All Cruise Photos
Just Food Photos

Just Cabin Photos

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bhughey said:

The best pics I've seen yet! Thank you for sharing!

Agreed! Beautiful crisp photos as always Lou! I'm guessing Sony A7/A9?

The food looks delicious-was it?

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09

What an amazing review in pictures.  Obviously you have some excellent photography and organizational skills.  Your efforts are appreciationed.  

The floor to calling and wall to wall window has to be one of the best (if not the best in the industry).  You certain made the four MDR with additional selections at each location look like a “home one” for Celebrity.

Thanks,  again for the feel good review.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LouTheGlue said:

Brief review of our cruise…Celebrity Edge December 9-16, 2018.

Loved the ship, food, service and cruise.

Cabin

We stayed in a Panoramic Oceanview Cabin 6138. Absolutely loved this cabin, best bathroom design I’ve seen for a standard type cabin. Shower is larger than normal, excellent storage (Maybe could use a little more room to hang items).

Room was serviced perfectly twice daily.

Ship

We thought the ship was beautiful. After just getting off the MSC Seaside, which was an amazing cruise, but that ship design is all chrome, mirrors and flashing lights. We loved the color scheme and design of Edge. 

Dinner

We ate in a different location every day. Service in all locations was fantastic.

In addition to the 4 main dining rooms, we ate at the following venues

Eve at Eden which was a fantastic dinner but realize it’s is not for everyone. So please look at the menu before booking and decide if it’s something you want to try. Also the Eden performers interact with you during dinner.

Fine Cut Steakhouse was excellent food and service.

Le Petite Chef was lots of fun and we loved it.

Breakfast Lunch

Breakfast and Lunch in in Oceanview Cafe was good, some items could have been hotter. But excellent layout and loads of seating.

Breakfast or Lunch at Eden Cafe -  excellent breakfast and lunch sandwiches

We had lunch at Le Grand Bistro which was very good but not sure if it’s worth the extra cost.

Lunch on the Magic Carpet, excellent food but not very comfortable seating. We sat at a high top and the stools were too high for the hight of the table.

Lunch at the Roof Top Garden Grill was amazing, but you sure get a lot of food so if you plan on eating there it’s worth it, but please skip breakfast that day…

Entertainment

Theater was amazing, shows for us were hit and miss.

The Club had an event called Club Andromeda. They scan you when you enter give you a card and that’s your character. Some guy came over and started asking us questions and we were suppose to answer based on the character we were. We were told we must go talk the the scavenger so we found her and all she said was she wants to see us on the dance floor. Wife sat with a fortune teller, not sure what that was about. We stayed for an hour expecting something to happen and no one seemed to know what to do or what was going on so we left…not sure what this event was. Not sure if Celebrity is the right demographic for this kind of event.

Eden was a beautiful place lots of people had issues with the performers walking around and interacting with them. I didn’t like it at first but we went back and did end up enjoying watching the performance that night.

Mexican Entertainers

The port stop in Cozumel was extended until 11PM. They brought on lots of Mexican entertainers and we really enjoyed them. Especially the Aqua Ballet and band playing on the resort deck. Celebrity CEO (LLP) made a brief speech before the show and i do mean brief.

Free Gifts

We got two nice water canisters one night. On the second last night we were conveniently given a picture frame with a photo of the Edge on one side and an empty slot for an 8x10 on the other. So off we go to the photo studio and purchase an 8x10.

Hiccups

One day coming back onto the ship the card scanning system was not working, they had to manually make note we were back on the ship, delayed us maybe 2 minutes no big deal.

Tender in Grand Cayman was a bit of a nightmare, not a problem for us we had no plans I just wanted to get on the new tender. Others were extremely vocal to the point of abusing the staff.

As far as stuff to do on the ship, I feel they were lacking free activities in the planner, I’m sure this will improve in the future.

Major issue just before dinner on the last night…Not Celebrity’s Fault…

Just before dinner I got notice that we’ve been bumped from our flight home and were rebooked to leave over 24 hours later than planned. Not an option for us we needed to be back to work on Monday.

Called Air2Sea 1800 number, very rude person instantly dismissed me and told me to go to Guest Services. I asked what is Guest Services going to do to help with my flight, I was just told…”Do you NOT understand how to follow a basic direction” I ask again for clarification on what Guest Services would do for me again I was told he would not discuss anything with me and to go to Guest Services.

I went to Guest Services and they were stumped as to what to do with my flight, so they called Air2Sea and ended up sending them an email with my issue and my flight details, and within a couple of hours they got a return email from Air2Sea with a new flight for me that only got me home 1 hour later than planned. The best part was all flights were booked for us in Business Class. Ended up with an excellent trip home but ruined 2-3 hours of our last day scrambling what we were going to do.

Link to Celebrity Today Planners already uploaded in another thread

Links to photos…

All Cruise Photos
Just Food Photos

Just Cabin Photos

LTG - your pictures are worthy of a travel magazine.  Are you a photographer?  What camera did you use?

• Thanks 1

When the Solstice launched, I remember seeing a post similar to this one with a link to photos of the ship - that photo slideshow in 2008 is what made me a full X convert. I just HAD to check out the S class ships and have since been on all 5, and some more than once.

Seeing these pics makes me very eager to sail on the Edge.

19 hours ago, mnocket said:

Can you elaborate a bit on the issue with the tenders?  Thanks.

We didn't have an excursion booked so we were aware that the tender process for those with NO excursions was to begin at 11:30AM. We lined up early knowing we would have to wait (about shortly after 11AM). Others waiting early in line as well didn't appreciate having to wait and were literally yelling at the Celebrity employee just trying to keep the line in order. They didn't start the tender process for those lined up for the Destination Gateway till about 12 noon. I thought maybe the seas were a little rough but they were not that bad, the drivers of the tenders seemed to be the slow-down they had trouble lining up the tenders to the Magic Carpet. I think the process will improve in time.

If you had an excursion I think that process went ok, I didn't hear anyone complain about it.

4 hours ago, bookitdanno said:

Thank you for the great review and photos!

Can you tell us when you arrived at the terminal?

It looks deserted.

First a quick comment, loved the terminal. very quick process since I already had photos uploaded. But we were so early had to wait anyways.

We arrived at approximately 10:05. Boarding didn't begin until after 11 AM. They started with Suite and Elite Guests first, then AuqaClass, then Concierge Class, then us Select and so on. We were onboard at 11:30. Our Arrival Time on our boarding pass was 11:00 - 11:30.

They had to halt boarding for a bit as soon as it started because everyone wanted to get on early and created too much congestion for the groups allowed to board. They tried to get everyone to sit again and wait for their group to be called but not many got out of the way...everyone was too excited to board.

Lou, I think we were in line behind you waiting for the tender - was that you that was waiting for your wife to get to the stairs down to deck 2?  We were the very last ones to get on that tender :-)

It looks like we took the same picture - here's yours:

Celebrity%20Edge%20-%202018-12-14_11-09-

and here's mine:

6cDFfa84Y_Ss4UjD-U1t_TUXcrjJvFR9_1XqNUse

2 hours ago, pilgrimage said:

Lou, I think we were in line behind you waiting for the tender - was that you that was waiting for your wife to get to the stairs down to deck 2?  We were the very last ones to get on that tender 🙂

Sorry can't see your photo. They got one group on the tender ahead of us and stopped us at the top of the stairs in the Grand Plaza. There was another delay and then, we were the first ones on the second tender.