Norway Fjord Cruise Q&A - Keys to Successful Planning

hallasm

Are there any fjord cruises that spend the whole day sailing down the scenic fjord?  In my initial search, I'm finding cruises that arrive at a little town at the end of the fjord at 8:00AM.  That means all the scenic sailing down the fjord was during the night.  The ship stays in the little town all day, and sails away during the night again when it's dark and I'm asleep.  I'm not going to get to see the fjord, which is the whole point.

I'm looking for a ship that spends the day cruising the fjord so I can see it when it's light and I'm awake.    Is there such a thing?

17 minutes ago, jimsweetjim said:

Are there any fjord cruises that spend the whole day sailing down the scenic fjord?  In my initial search, I'm finding cruises that arrive at a little town at the end of the fjord at 8:00AM.  That means all the scenic sailing down the fjord was during the night.  The ship stays in the little town all day, and sails away during the night again when it's dark and I'm asleep.  I'm not going to get to see the fjord, which is the whole point.

I'm looking for a ship that spends the day cruising the fjord so I can see it when it's light and I'm awake.    Is there such a thing?

Remember that if cruising in the summer especially near the summer solstice the days are very, very long.  If you are interested in a specific itinerary check out sunrise and sunset times for for each fjord passage. 

And welcome to cruise critic!

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jimsweetjim said:

Sailing the longer fjords does take 4 to 5 hours - you are right - most cruises does sail the fjords early morning - however they do sail the same way out of the fjord - hence sailing through the same fjord during the evening.

Most cruises are in June to August - the he sunrise will be very early and sunset very late as said by capriccio.

If you want scenic sailing a possibility is Hurtigruten coastal voyage  - sailing Storefjord and Geiranger Fjord during the day - however the beautiful Trollfjord late evening - Hurtigruten is more a working ship than a cruise line - more info here:

6 hours ago, jimsweetjim said:

I'm finding cruises that arrive at a little town at the end of the fjord at 8:00AM.  That means all the scenic sailing down the fjord was during the night.  The ship stays in the little town all day, and sails away during the night again when it's dark and I'm asleep

When are you planning to visit? What cruiseline are you looking at?

I just did a quick check for cruises with calls to Geiranger, and most of them have scheduled mid-day or late-morning arrivals. All of the ones that include Hellesylt (the most popular scenery is between Hellesylt and Geiranger) have viable scheduling for the scenic reposition: Crown Princess 10:00-12:00, Norwegian Star 9:00-11:00, Carnival Legend 13:00-15:00. Roayal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas doesn’t stop in Hellesylt but calls at Geiranger from 10:00-19:00, so both sail-in and sail-out are during daytime hours. I did find one with a 22:00 departure, but it had a 10:00 arrival so the sail-in would still be an option.

As for Flåm, I see plenty of early arrivals, but most of those calls have afternoon departures around 16:00.

I like to wander the decks early in the mornings, it's great for picture taking. And the North Cape in July doesn't have a sunset or very late, so hopefully lots of sight seeing. I'm sure you'll have some great sights for sail in/out. Enjoy your cruise.

39 minutes ago, jimsweetjim said:

Crown Princess on 7/25. 

Good choice - sailing from Hellesylt bound for Geiranger at 10:00 - two hours sailing through scenic fjords in the morning

But don't miss sailing Storfjorden either early morning or late night.

Sunrise for Geiranger sailing will be 04:50 am and sunset 10:20 pm.

Enjoy your cruise

On 6/22/2019 at 9:57 PM, dcdisney said:

It looks like there may be changes for all lines in Flam and Geiringer for 2020 depending on their emissions.  http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/happy-days-for-norway-but-green-legislation-could-be-a-spoiler.html

"New regulations apply for ships in Norway’s World Heritage Fjords including Flam and Geiranger, from March 1, 2019 and compliance with IMO’s Tier I takes effect start of next year."

Would love to know what "Tier 1" is...... The Nieuw Statendam still has Flam on the itinerary for 2020 

34 minutes ago, travelingla said:

Would love to know what "Tier 1" is...

Different levels (Tiers) of control apply based on the ship construction date, Tier I is ships or ship engine constructed after 1st of January 2000

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 1:01 AM, hallasm said:

Sailing the longer fjords does take 4 to 5 hours

Pardon my ignorance,,,,,but will this include Hardanger and Eidfjord? Those are the 2 on our itinerary in June, 2020.  I am asking if these are 'longer' fjords for longer time sailings.  BTW, we are early risers so plan on being up and about for entry!

Edited by travelingla

21 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Different levels (Tiers) of control apply based on the ship construction date, Tier I is ships or ship engine constructed after 1st of January 2000

Oh well, Nieuw Statendam does not fit that 1/1/2020 time frame. 😞. I have a feeling Flam is out for us..... wonder what HAL will substitute???

Edited by travelingla

8 hours ago, travelingla said:

but will this include Hardanger and Eidfjord? Those are the 2 on our itinerary in June, 2020.

First. it's only one fjord sailing - Eidfjord is the port at the end of Hardangerfjord. A bit confusing.

Hardangerfjord is the second longest fjord in Norway - 4 to 5 hours sailing.

• Thanks 1

Geirangerfjord is on our itinerary for 2020 June. On the Carnival Legend. Am I reading that link right to think we will not go to Geiranger or Geirangerfjord? Carnival has not told us anything yet. I will still sail, but was really looking forward to seeing Geirangerfjord. 

18 hours ago, travelingla said:

Oh well, Nieuw Statendam does not fit that 1/1/2020 time frame. 😞. I have a feeling Flam is out for us..... wonder what HAL will substitute???

I wouldn't give up on Flam just yet.   The most stringent standards still don't take effect until 2026, but most of the major cruise lines are participating in an effort to develop ways to operate emission free by then.   http://www.nor-shipping.com/norways-new-emission-free-cruise-ship-concept/

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 1:25 AM, hallasm said:

First. it's only one fjord sailing - Eidfjord is the port at the end of Hardangerfjord. A bit confusing.

Hardangerfjord is the second longest fjord in Norway - 4 to 5 hours sailing.

Silly me -- I knew that! Trying to learn these new to me words. 😉

Our 2 fjords are Hardangerfjord and Sognefjord.

Well, that will be a beautiful, quiet, serene time, I am sure, as well sail the fjords. We love the Inside Passage of Alaska cruises so we are sure to enjoy these! Really getting excited.  🙂

On 9/8/2019 at 4:55 PM, travelingla said:

"New regulations apply for ships in Norway’s World Heritage Fjords including Flam and Geiranger, from March 1, 2019 and compliance with IMO’s Tier I takes effect start of next year."

Would love to know what "Tier 1" is...... The Nieuw Statendam still has Flam on the itinerary for 2020 

International Maritime Organization Tier 1 is a level of nitrogen oxide (NOx) emission restrictions for marine diesel engines.

Tier 1 is less restrictive than Tiers 2 and 3. In 'Emission Control Areas' such as the fjords, there are also restrictions on sulphur content in fuel oils and other emissions to the air and water. I think we should go sooner rather than later!

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2019 at 5:45 PM, travelingla said:

Nieuw Statendam is a very new ship and, if any can meet the new regulations, it will do so. I agree that the 2020 HAL cruise itineraries still show NS going into these fjords.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, travellingnana said:

We will be visiting the North Cape in June  2020.  I have a choice of two excursion times... 9am or 2 pm.  I realize weather is changeable and unpredictable , but which time MIGHT be best to beat the fog?  Morning or afternoon?

Thank you.

On the one specific day I was there - the afternoon would have been the better choice. It was foggier and windier in the morning. 

I am guessing it is a flip of a coin. The next day could have been the opposite. I would go with what works in your schedule best.

On 9/11/2019 at 3:19 AM, hallasm said:

Sognefjord is a long (early) sailing as well - which port?

We have Flam on the itinerary - -IF we get to dock there with the emissions restrictions.

Eidfjord is the port for Hardangerfjord

Thank you for the beautiful video..... I love your work.  🙂

Edited by travelingla

Pulpit Rock

Anyone know if it is routine for a cruise ship to pass Pulpit Rock on the 'Stravanger' day? If not, is it worth an excursion boat ride? I don't think we really have time to do the hike with other things to be seen in port as that hike excursion is 7 1/2 hours.

The ship excursion has this notation about Pulpit Rock: "On some calls at Stavanger, the cruise ship sails into Lysefjord but does not offer the same close encounter with Pulpit Rock that is the highlight of this tour."

Lysefjord is not listed on our itinerary.

Thank you.

Edited by travelingla