Outrageous Debit Card Holds

zrealm

We just got back from the 12 day Escape sailing, and I know NCL puts debit holds to make sure they can collect for your onboard account, but the amount is pretty insanely excessive. Our total bill was $4300 (which is pretty insanely high sounding but much of that was from a ship hospital trip that will fortunately get reimbursed by our travel insurance). Our holds were 1888.23, 29, 4347.45, 939.80, 29, 2459.65, 400 and 1000, which is over 2 and a half times that amount. 

Is it just me or is that really excessive? I know it will eventually drop off, but....

3 minutes ago, cathi007 said:

I would never use a debit card, a credit card is the way to go. BTW I hope whomever went to the dr. is ok

I am, thanks. (it was 5 bags of IV antibiotics that ran up such a high bill, amazingly)

28 minutes ago, zrealm said:

We just got back from the 12 day Escape sailing, and I know NCL puts debit holds to make sure they can collect for your onboard account, but the amount is pretty insanely excessive. Our total bill was $4300 (which is pretty insanely high sounding but much of that was from a ship hospital trip that will fortunately get reimbursed by our travel insurance). Our holds were 1888.23, 29, 4347.45, 939.80, 29, 2459.65, 400 and 1000, which is over 2 and a half times that amount. 

Is it just me or is that really excessive? I know it will eventually drop off, but....

The others have mentioned that this is one major reason why NOT to use a debit card for 'holds' (anywhere).

But in this case, now that you are back, and have both the actual charges and the "hold" amounts, you might want to call the card issuer (your bank, perhaps, which might make it easier) and explain, asking them to cancel the "holds", or at least not more than the actual bill IF the bill hasn't shown up yet.  Sort of like a "charge back" but for a hold.

Offer to send them copies of all the relevant docs.

Whether they'll do that... who knows.  It might depend upon your history with them.

GC

Never use a Debit Card on a cruise ship because of the holds.  Use a Credit Card if you get a benefit from it or just "in case" and put a reasonable sum down in cash.  Remember that if you put cash down and there is a credit at the end of the cruise you get it back in cash on the penultimate evening if you ask.

dont bother calling the bank...they cant remove authorizations approved by Visa/MC without a signed document on company letterhead from the cruise line.  

the authorization total seems high.  historically i havent seen improper charges (im a bank mgr) from cruise lines other than minor billing errors. 

18 hours ago, zrealm said:

I am, thanks. (it was 5 bags of IV antibiotics that ran up such a high bill, amazingly)

last year my travel partner needed to go the medical center and also needed about 5 bags of IV fluids and its indeed crazy what they charge. the 4k amount sounds about right since mine was a similar amount. I got all of the money a few weeks after submitting the travel insurance claim.

helpful hit when submitting the travel insurance claim: make copies of all of the paperwork from the medical center (like the reports, billing page with the amounts) and  copy of the final bill, etc and then submitting it to the insurance company . It sounds overkill, but it reduces any possible delays of the travel insurance requesting any additional documents/proofs. I gave them copy's of just about every document i had and i was surprised to see my claim approve in two days 🙂 😄

Edited by shof515

On 12/22/2018 at 9:06 AM, zrealm said:

The cruise line is very explicit about not using your debit card on your room account. People should heed this warning. 2x authorizations is normal for credit or debit card. You just ran up a bill making it an $9k hold

• Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.
  • Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.
  • After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.
  • To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.
  • Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.
Edited by BirdTravels

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The cruise line is very explicit about not using your debit card on your room account. People should heed this warning. 2x authorizations is normal for credit or debit card. You just ran up a bill making it an $9k hold

• Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.
  • Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.
  • After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.
  • To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.
  • Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.

Thank you for posting this. People complain without reading first !