Transfer Deposits

JMorris271

Has anyone ever been allowed to have their deposit for one cruise transferred to another booked cruise at a later date on the same line?

I'm fairly sure I will be disappointed with the answers but there's always hope.

Thanks

1 minute ago, JMorris271 said:

Has anyone ever been allowed to have their deposit for one cruise transferred to another booked cruise at a later date on the same line?

I'm fairly sure I will be disappointed with the answers but there's always hope.

Thanks

Do you mean after a penalty is in place for the first cruise?

Otherwise, what is the difference between a refund or a transfer?  (We get a refund and then re-book anew, to help keep our bookkeeping straight.)

GC

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JMorris271 said:

Thanks

Policies differ between cruise lines.  Which cruise line?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Do you mean after a penalty is in place for the first cruise?

Otherwise, what is the difference between a refund or a transfer?  (We get a refund and then re-book anew, to help keep our bookkeeping straight.)

GC

Only the $900 deposit has been paid for a cruise in April.

We want to see if it is possible to apply that initial deposit towards another cruise with them.

Perhaps they might regard it the same as an incentive  or fare reduction that they offer all the time.

The April cruise is 100% booked as of now so I know Celebrity could sell the cabin again at a more inflated price.

Edited by JMorris271

11 minutes ago, JMorris271 said:

Only the $900 deposit has been paid for a cruise in April.

We want to see if it is possible to apply that initial deposit towards another cruise with them.

Perhaps they might regard it the same as an incentive  or fare reduction that they offer all the time.

The April cruise is 100% booked as of now so I know Celebrity could sell the cabin again at a more inflated price.

You aren't answering about whether you are in penalty phase yet.

That can make all the difference.

GC

OP, why wouldn't you just call Celebrity and ask them?  It's a fair question, there is no down side to asking, you will get information that is more reliable than what you might get in an internet board and, if you get the answer you're looking for, you could probably complete the transaction while you are on the phone.

5 hours ago, XBGuy said:

OP, why wouldn't you just call Celebrity and ask them?  It's a fair question, there is no down side to asking, you will get information that is more reliable than what you might get in an internet board and, if you get the answer you're looking for, you could probably complete the transaction while you are on the phone.

5 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Wanting to share this question on the forum in the event others might have a similar question.

We did phone them but could not get past the computers

7 minutes ago, JMorris271 said:

Wanting to share this question on the forum in the event others might have a similar question.

We did phone them but could not get past the computers

Ooh.  That sucks.

Thanks for the reply, and I, certainly, wish you good luck.

Their policy is nonrefundable and I am aware of that. To split hairs, I am not asking for a refund.

We are asking, a Hale Mary question here and I  know that too so you don't need to tell me, if they will transfer that deposit towards another booking.

They probably won't but maybe they will.

If you have a non-refundable deposit and are prior to final payment you can keep your current reservation number and move it to another booking without penalty. In essence you will be canceling one booking and booking another.  The only catch is you will likely lose the pricing and any perks associated with the original booking and will get the pricing and those perks offered by the new one.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Google is your friend.

It took about 5 seconds to find this:

2. What am I responsible to tell a guest who is interested in booking a non-refundable fare?

Guests/travel partners should be advised that the deposit is non-refundable from the time deposit is received and/or booking is placed in “BK” status. Any changes to the ship and/or sailing date will require a $100 USD or $127 CAD per person change fee, depending on the currency of the booking. After the Final Payment date, normal penalty policy applies and no change fees will be assessed.

Bolding added.

I suspected, since Celebrity is owned by RCI, it has the same rules.  Any change of the ship or sailing date results in a $100 per person fee.

We cruise exclusively with Celebrity and have moved bookings many times, sometimes as much as 3 times with one booking number.

The "rules" are:

You must not be past the final payment date, you are not from your post.

You must be a resident of the US or Canada, you are from your post.

The cruise must have been booked with a refundable deposit (if it is non refundable there is a $100 pp change fee but you can still move the rest of the $).

You can keep the same booking # and move it to another cruise.  That way you may keep some of the perks such as additional OBC if booked while on a cruise.

Call Celebrity or your TA to make the switch.

12 hours ago, SRF said:

I suspected, since Celebrity is owned by RCI, it has the same rules.  Any change of the ship or sailing date results in a $100 per person fee.

While Celebrity is part of the RCI family, the $100 pp change fee would be news to me and a new policy as it has never applied to changes we've made in the past.  The last as recently as this past August.

On 12/26/2018 at 10:46 AM, JMorris271 said:

Thanks

20 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

Their policy is nonrefundable and I am aware of that. To split hairs, I am not asking for a refund.

We are asking, a Hale Mary question here and I  know that too so you don't need to tell me, if they will transfer that deposit towards another booking.

They probably won't but maybe they will.

Technically you are asking for a refund. IF the line's policy is no refunds of deposits even if you are not in penalty, then they are not likely to allow you to transfer your deposit to another cruise. My thoughts are your best bet in getting it transferred is if there is some medical issue, but they might refer you to your insurance company for that reason.

9 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

While Celebrity is part of the RCI family, the $100 pp change fee would be news to me and a new policy as it has never applied to changes we've made in the past.  The last as recently as this past August.

Were you booked with Refundable or Non-Refundable deposits?   THAT is the difference.

Celebrity has added the option of Non-Refundable deposits.  The fares are normally lower.

55 minutes ago, SRF said:

Were you booked with Refundable or Non-Refundable deposits?   THAT is the difference.

Celebrity has added the option of Non-Refundable deposits.  The fares are normally lower.

It was with non-refundable deposits - which was part of the conditions I referred to for non-penalty transfers in my previous post #15. 

And likely the now "lower" non-refundable fares are actually the previous refundable fares, which are now likely higher.  At least that was the case with RCI when they first introduced that as confirmed by updated mock bookings with cruises we already had in place at the time.  Just another way to increase fares.  But that is a whole other discussion.

Thanks for the clarification.

Today my TA informed us that we can recieve a refund if we choose to. However after all of this, we have decided to remain on this cruise .

Delving some more into the places that we are  interested in visiting, we see that  there would be issues with my ability to climb up the many  rock steps  required.

That sends us back to plan A which is the cruise.

What a bummer!👎

Edited by JMorris271