NFL Playoffs Broadcast

deus

1 hour ago, deus said:

We are on the Marina for most of January 2019 and were wondering will the NFL playoffs be broadcast?

No. We were on Marina for the same time period this year and they did not show any NFL games. They were going to show the Super Bowl, which was played the day after our disembarkation.

There was a long thread discussing this issue earlier this year, with passengers including myself advocating for Oceania to show NFL playoff games and more sports in general. There were negative responses from some who seemed to believe that anyone who wanted to watch US professional sports was some kind of low life. Oceania shows lots of European football on TV,  and apparently that's OK with those curmudgeons, but American sports fans are apparently deemed beer-swilling swine who should locked in the brig during the NFL playoffs.

I think the bottom line is that Oceania doesn't want to pay for the rights to show the games.

Edited by njhorseman

Well we are not American nor do we drink beer but we do enjoy watching the NFL.    My husband's beloved Colts MIGHT be in the playoffs, he wanted to know if he can look forward to seeing them while on the ship.  Or watching any of the playoffs - which we enjoy!  Kind of weird they don't broadcast the playoffs.  What is up with that!!  I will definitely make a note on my comment card about that if there are no games broadcasted!!

47 minutes ago, deus said:

Well we are not American nor do we drink beer but we do enjoy watching the NFL.    My husband's beloved Colts MIGHT be in the playoffs, he wanted to know if he can look forward to seeing them while on the ship.  Or watching any of the playoffs - which we enjoy!  Kind of weird they don't broadcast the playoffs.  What is up with that!!  I will definitely make a note on my comment card about that if there are no games broadcasted!!

What's up is that Oceania apparently doesn't want to pay for the rights to show the NFL games.

My comment about beer-swilling Americans was based on the "my ***** don't stink" attitude of some of the posters on that thread who apparently believe that sports is only enjoyed by lowlifes.

Edited by njhorseman

The games are on the MTN satellite sports feed.  On the ESPN2 and also on a CBS feed. 

The issue is that O does not pay for the feed.  

Some cruise lines have both CBS and FOX Sports Sunday NFL games on their TV. 

What's up is that Oceania apparently doesn't want to pay for the rights to show the NFL games.

My comment about beer-swilling Americans was based on the "my ***** don't stink" attitude of some of the posters on that thread who apparently believe that sports is only enjoyed by lowlifes.     I knew you were referring to that.

I guess we will just have to ask while we are on board (if they don't show the playoffs) - why aren't they showing them!!

Except for Super Bowl, Oceania almost never carries American sporting events. On their regular channel line up they have zero U.S. sports channels, yet carry Sky Sports from the U.K. I complain about it in each guest survey...obviously they do not listen.:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

Thanks for the reminder! Setting the DVR for the playoff games should have been on my to-do before list for our upcoming trip. Just when I thought I was close to having everything done on that list!

On our cruise next year ((January 2020) the guest lecturer is Vern Lundquist.  So there should be a Super Bowl  Party. 

Join Verne Lundquist, CBS Sports’ iconic play-by-play announcer for college football and broadcaster of more than 20 different sports, on this special voyage. Verne will conduct lectures and Q&A sessions in celebration of “The Big Game” and the NFL’s Centennial Celebration. He was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences in 2016.

16 minutes ago, lais said:

On our cruise next year ((January 2020) the guest lecturer is Vern Lundquist.  So there should be a Super Bowl  Party. 

We have  had  Super Bowl parties  on any cruise  during that time

with or without Vern Lundquist

as well as  the World cup

15 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

We have  had  Super Bowl parties  on any cruise  during that time

with or without Vern Lundquist

as well as  the World cup

Good to know.  Maybe they will even show the game. 

They always show the game live. Last February on the Nautica we were 12 hours ahead, so they were showing it at 6:00 am, while done football game day food and beer. Same in Australia a few years earlier. They were doing the game and a huge party in Horizons at 3-4 am!

The Winter Olympics were shown primarily live on the Nautica in February. There was some bellyaching by some because we were either in or within 1 time zone of Korea, so those of us doing the cruise for port cities, not watching tv, only saw the news clips for most events. The ones staying aboard had the option of watching it all live. 

26 minutes ago, deus said:

Well we like watching the NFL playoffs so I guess we will making our voices heard on the comment card.  Sounds like it won't change anything BUT you never know.

or you could  just change the time of year to take a cruise :classic_smile:

• Haha 1

Lyn;

I was thinking the exact same thing!!

Interestingly, on our last cruise, while US citizens were a majority of the passengers, they didn’t represent a plurality. We represented just over 40% in total. I doubt the other near 60% could have cared less about the Super Bowl, no less the Playoffs!   Unless it was one’s favorite or hometown team playing, many of the US passengers weren’t overly interested either. I love the skiing events during the Olympics, particularly the downhill and GS, but not enough so to have stayed onboard and missed the shore tour. Only a few stayed aboard and watched the entire Super Bowl , most of us just got occasional updates along the way during our tour. So the question begs, how much is O expected to spend on tv rights so that a tiny minority of passengers can watch the Playoffs? 

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

or you could  just change the time of year to take a cruise :classic_smile:

Did you bother to consider the possibility that a particular itinerary might only be offered once a year, and that might be when the NFL playoffs are being held? In our case we cruised from  Miami all the way to Tahiti, and that was the one and only time of the year you could do it.

Your comment is so typical of the type of responses made by some when we had an extended thread about this earlier in the year. It's really easy to dismiss an idea with a snide remark that's indicative of the attitude "I don't care about this so no one else could possibly have a legitimate interest in it that is worth considering".  It goes right along with the "sports fans are beer-swilling lowlifes" attitudes of some. 

You can do better.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Lyn;

I was thinking the exact same thing!!

Interestingly, on our last cruise, while US citizens were a majority of the passengers, they didn’t represent a plurality. We represented just over 40% in total. I doubt the other near 60% could have cared less about the Super Bowl, no less the Playoffs!   Unless it was one’s favorite or hometown team playing, many of the US passengers weren’t overly interested either. I love the skiing events during the Olympics, particularly the downhill and GS, but not enough so to have stayed onboard and missed the shore tour. Only a few stayed aboard and watched the entire Super Bowl , most of us just got occasional updates along the way during our tour. So the question begs, how much is O expected to spend on tv rights so that a tiny minority of passengers can watch the Playoffs? 

I did a hypothetical calculation when this was discussed earlier this year, and it wasn't much on a per passenger per day basis. Don't forget that NCLH,  the same corporation, already buys this and many other sports-related broadcasts for NCL ships and I suspect adding the few small Oceania ships to the purchase wouldn't be that expensive due volume pricing. Remember, one of the benefits of merging PCH into NCLH was economies of scale in purchasing.

3 hours ago,  LHT28 said: 

or you could  just change the time of year to take a cruise :classic_smile:

Did you bother to consider the possibility that a particular itinerary might only be offered once a year, and that might be when the NFL playoffs are being held? In our case we cruised from  Miami all the way to Tahiti, and that was the one and only time of the year you could do it.

Your comment is so typical of the type of responses made by some when we had an extended thread about this earlier in the year. It's really easy to dismiss an idea with a snide remark that's indicative of the attitude "I don't care about this so no one else could possibly have a legitimate interest in it that is worth considering".  It goes right along with the "sports fans are beer-swilling lowlifes" attitudes of some. 

You can do better.

NJHORSEMAN - I agree!