NFL Playoffs Broadcast

deus

Njhorseman;

I understand your point. However, you will notice that some of the other posters here are highly protective of Oceania’s ala carte pricing. They want nothing to do with included alcohol of which they won’t partake, included tours they won’t take, included gratuities, etc, so I doubt they’d want included football games they won’t want to pay extra for. 

Oceania doesn’t currently have a “ Pay per View” function on its TVs, but perhaps for events such as these it’s something they should explore. While we don’t personally cruise to watch tv or movies, we recognize many do. In fact, our boob tube is rarely on, but a Pay per View option of a really good ( to us) recent release movie or sporting event might indeed be an enhancement to the ship’s entertainment options. 

The flip side of that option is the current issue with some of our hearing impaired fellow cruisers that already vibrate their TVs through the thin walls. Increasing the viewing options for some of those may not be a good plan! I remember sailing on the Marina somewhere between Australia and NZ during the Super Bowl. With the 15 hour time difference, and the game starting at 03:00 ship time, I might not have liked my neighbors having the capacity to watch the game in the cabins! The same would have been the case with the Playoffs! We were happy all those true fans had to go to Horizons!

The Ying and the Yang to every issue.

Edited by pinotlover

1 hour ago, deus said:
   3 hours ago,  LHT28 said: 

or you could  just change the time of year to take a cruise :classic_smile:

Did you bother to consider the possibility that a particular itinerary might only be offered once a year, and that might be when the NFL playoffs are being held? In our case we cruised from  Miami all the way to Tahiti, and that was the one and only time of the year you could do it.

Your comment is so typical of the type of responses made by some when we had an extended thread about this earlier in the year. It's really easy to dismiss an idea with a snide remark that's indicative of the attitude "I don't care about this so no one else could possibly have a legitimate interest in it that is worth considering".  It goes right along with the "sports fans are beer-swilling lowlifes" attitudes of some. 

You can do better.

NJHORSEMAN - I agree!  

It is  a personal choice

If I wanted to watch the playoffs for my favourite sport  & knew the cruise line I wanted to sail on did not show  the games I would  choose  what was more important to ME

Clearly  you would rather  complain :classic_rolleyes:

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

It is  a personal choice

If I wanted to watch the playoffs for my favourite sport  & knew the cruise line I wanted to sail on did not show  the games I would  choose  what was more important to ME

I don't see making a suggestion that Oceania tweak their product to make it more attractive to a number of their passengers as complaining. And obviously I chose to take the cruise.

Thanks for your eye roll emoji by the way . It says a lot.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Njhorseman;

I understand your point. However, you will notice that some of the other posters here are highly protective of Oceania’s ala carte pricing. They want nothing to do with included alcohol of which they won’t partake, included tours they won’t take, included gratuities, etc, so I doubt they’d want included football games they won’t want to pay extra for. 

Oceania doesn’t currently have a “ Pay per View” function on its TVs, but perhaps for events such as these it’s something they should explore. While we don’t personally cruise to watch tv or movies, we recognize many do. In fact, our boob tube is rarely on, but a Pay per View option of a really good ( to us) recent release movie or sporting event might indeed be an enhancement to the ship’s entertainment options. 

The flip side of that option is the current issue with some of our hearing impaired fellow cruisers that already vibrate their TVs through the thin walls. Increasing the viewing options for some of those may not be a good plan! I remember sailing on the Marina somewhere between Australia and NZ during the Super Bowl. With the 15 hour time difference, and the game starting at 03:00 ship time, I might not have liked my neighbors having the capacity to watch the game in the cabins! The same would have been the case with the Playoffs! We were happy all those true fans had to go to Horizons!

The Ying and the Yang to every issue.

I understand your point about not wanting to pay for something you're not interested in, but Oceania is not totally a la carte.  There's an included item on Oceania that I pay for that I could do without...soda . I'm paying for it in the base fare but I don't want it.

On the flip side I happen to enjoy listening to the string quartet before dinner, but given the small number of passengers who do that on any regular basis I have to conclude that the vast majority of passengers are paying the salaries of a string quartet that they have little or no interest in .

We have watched US football games in many countries. You may be surprised how many people in other countries enjoy watching it, too. We've met many fun people in sports bars around the world. Even when we didn't speak the same language we had a great time cheering and booing with the crowd!

Whether or not a ship offers the games isn't a great concern, we'll record the games and watch them when we get home. But if they were being shown on a sea day we'd certainly be watching.

Edited by Sea42

23 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I understand your point about not wanting to pay for something you're not interested in, but Oceania is not totally a la carte.  There's an included item on Oceania that I pay for that I could do without...soda . I'm paying for it in the base fare but I don't want it.

On the flip side I happen to enjoy listening to the string quartet before dinner, but given the small number of passengers who do that on any regular basis I have to conclude that the vast majority of passengers are paying the salaries of a string quartet that they have little or no interest in .

(Underlining mine)

How do you feel about activities Iike the (extravagant, but delicious) afternoon tea, enrichment lectures, evening entertainment/entertainers, just to name a few, that also cost money but are of no interest to many cruisers.

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

It is  a personal choice

Lyn, I think you are saying that things are what they are and stop complaining about it. Seems that the purpose of this forum is to have productive discussion about these kinds of subjects and express our opinion. We are only suggesting a way for Oceania to better serve its passengers....something done all of the time. 

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

(Underlining mine)

How do you feel about activities Iike the (extravagant, but delicious) afternoon tea, enrichment lectures, evening entertainment/entertainers, just to name a few, that also cost money but are of no interest to many cruisers.

Without going into details, there are some that we like, and some we could do without. You're providing support to the notion that far from everything on Oceania is a la carte . There are a lot of offerings that don't appeal to every passenger, but that every passenger is paying for. Having important sporting events shown on TV or in a lounge would just be an one more choice in the menu of "included" options.

I don't think it's fair to use the examples of alcohol, tours or gratuities not being included in the fare as part of this discussion. ( I know you weren't the one who used those examples.) The cost of alcoholic beverages, tours and gratuities is of a different order of magnitude than the other items mentioned.

Edited by njhorseman

On one of our cruises a few years back O aired an NFL playoff game on a sea day at the pool. For us it was a very important game (as we are usually in the playoffs not to brag btw) No one cared either way even as I strutted around the pool area with my affiliated tee shirt. Some sat and cheered the rest were who cares. I too being a very big fan of my team could have cared less about the game. My thrill was being on a ship where I could relax and have fun with others. I see no need that O accommodate such an event despite who is who on a journey. That is whT it is all about.........the journey

3 hours ago, edgee said:

Lyn, I think you are saying that things are what they are and stop complaining about it. Seems that the purpose of this forum is to have productive discussion about these kinds of subjects and express our opinion. We are only suggesting a way for Oceania to better serve its passengers....something done all of the time. 

I did give my opinion

Maybe  a more productive move  would be to write Oceania  directly with your suggestions on how to better serve it's pax  by showing sporting events or not showing sporting events.

I do not really care if they show it on the cabin TV's  but may care if they commandeer Horizons for  the games :classic_sad:

JMO

just saying

• 4 weeks later...

On the Marina leaving Bora Bora. They'll be showing both games tomorrow. We'll be onshore but I thought I would share the information. If we can get the feed here I'm thinking most areas would have it available.

3 hours ago, Sea42 said:

On the Marina leaving Bora Bora. They'll be showing both games tomorrow. We'll be onshore but I thought I would share the information. If we can get the feed here I'm thinking most areas would have it available.

Curious - how is the weather?  The Weather Channel is showing lots of storms and rain in FP.

Just now, Heartfelttraveler said:

Curious - how is the weather?  The Weather Channel is showing lots of storms and rain in FP.

The weather's warm and humid. Rain for 10 minutes, twice today. Before noon and then again at about 3 pm. It felt so good! We haven't had any more than brief rain on any day.