I Cancelled My Journey on the Edge...

Georgia_Peaches

Some of you are canceling your Edge reservation based upon actual Edge passenger's reviews.  You are evaluating the available information, both positive and negative, and making a decision based upon your own personal preferences for a cruise vacation.  As for me I still plan to go on Edge and decide for myself.   I generally ignore comments from those who have never sailed on Edge and certainly would not cancel my cruise based upon such comments particularly from people I do not know otherwise.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Some of you are canceling your Edge reservation based upon actual Edge passenger's reviews.  You are evaluating the available information, both positive and negative, and making a decision based upon your own personal preferences for a cruise vacation.  As for me I still plan to go on Edge and decide for myself.   I generally ignore comments from those who have never sailed on Edge and certainly would not cancel my cruise based upon such comments particularly from people I do not know otherwise.  

That's the approach we're taking....then we'll decide on our Nov booking..Hoping we can do both and then re- group

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

However, you discount the fact that many of us know these people through their writings on CC, and that is a huge plus, especially if the issues are important. They bring up interesting points of view that I have may not considered.  I am not canceling my TA, because I too want to see it for myself, but I also give creedence to many who post information that I personally feel is valuable due to knowing their particular ways of providing factual information.  A lot of that information I have personally validated myself when cruising.  I hope that makes sense to you...and if you are tetering anyway, the information validate concerns.

Marilyn(VT) provided so much information before, during and after her cruises, as I know you valued her information too!  It is all about the value that individual has based on the multitude of information they have given that adds to the value...at least that is how I see it.  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

I don't have a choice about the Jan 20 cruise, because we would lose a lot of money by canceling (and our long-awaited vacation). I'm glad that I don't have to agonize over whether to go or not. I have no doubt that we will have a wonderful time. We always do (just some cruises are better than others) and there is nothing major about the ship that will prevent that, as far as I can see.

If I hadn't actually had the IV experience for two days, I would be nervous if I had booked an IV for this cruise because of all the negative comments on CC. I respect the comments made by well-known CC posters who appear balanced and in this case, those who have been onboard might sway me some (though I tend not to sweat the small stuff so only major issues would catch my attention). I discount all the glowing reports that make everything sound totally rosy and discount the totally negative reports that don't have anything good to say about the cabin or ship. Both are suspect because we all know that it is never perfect and things go wrong, but not everything, as some would have you believe.  I especially don't listen to or respond to those who present every negative issue with glee and enjoy getting people stirred up.

This thread makes me very sad - I know how much many of you were looking forward to your Edge cruises and I'm sorry that many are making these agonizing decisions…

• Like 3

Unlike most, we a excited for our upcoming cruise Jan.27th on  the Edge. We booked an SV on deck 10 for a total of $3300. We  have  no concerns about any noise from Eden or the aft Sunset Bar. If available, a cabin on the aft is always our first choice. When the info about the IV rooms were released, we considered one, but quickly recognized some of the drawbacks with them.We are longtime Celebrity cruisers. We know that the Edge will be different but that's why we booked her.. I applaud them for trying to change with the times and venue into some new waters.Time will tell if the new direction is a "hit or miss".If the reviews and opinions of the followers on this board have you doubting your decision to sail the Edge, you always should go with your gut.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I don't have a choice about the Jan 20 cruise, because we would lose a lot of money by canceling (and our long-awaited vacation). I'm glad that I don't have to agonize over whether to go or not. I have no doubt that we will have a wonderful time. We always do (just some cruises are better than others) and there is nothing major about the ship that will prevent that, as far as I can see.

If I hadn't actually had the IV experience for two days, I would be nervous if I had booked an IV for this cruise because of all the negative comments on CC. I respect the comments made by well-known CC posters who appear balanced and in this case, those who have been onboard might sway me some (though I tend not to sweat the small stuff so only major issues would catch my attention). I discount all the glowing reports that make everything sound totally rosy and discount the totally negative reports that don't have anything good to say about the cabin or ship. Both are suspect because we all know that it is never perfect and things go wrong, but not everything, as some would have you believe.  I especially don't listen to or respond to those who present every negative issue with glee and enjoy getting people stirred up.

This thread makes me very sad - I know how much many of you were looking forward to your Edge cruises and I'm sorry that many are making these agonizing decisions…

Well put Marilyn, thank you.  Katie

I have to say that I have mixed feelings about Edge. We did have a great time... but I have had a great time on every cruise. But on balance... now the glow of the cruise has passed I have to say that I still prefer the S class. Now I did like the IV cabin... in fact for me, I preferred it. But I am not like those cruisers who love to sit out in the sun. I liked it because it gave me a great view without having to step outside. I just do not do well in the heat and burn very easily... so I have conditioned myself to be indoors. DH tried to enjoy sitting on the veranda reading, but it was not the same. While the windows were not locked all the time... they seemed to be whenever he decided to sit on the veranda... which was while I was off the ship doing an excursion. The bathroom set up was great. Quite a bit of shelving and the drawer under the sink was useful for storing those items one might have by the vanity.

His need for a scooter impacted our ability to completely enjoy the ship in a way that we have been able to on other ships. And when it became clear his charger was not working... we found ourselves limiting our travel around the ship to conserve power. 

But we did enjoy Edge it is a lovely ship, but I just don't feel it is worth the premium charged over other ships. We enjoyed the Martini Bar but the set up was not conducive to meeting people. In fact the only people we met were while seated in the dining room. I prefer the Sky lounge for the views and a environment set up for conversation. Eden was lovely, but too many structural and decor items to appreciate the view. The seating set up again did not really encourage meeting and conversing with other passengers. The entertainment we saw was not the edenists, somehow we missed most of that activity during our cruise.

Loved the separate dining options.... really kept things fresh....always discovering different decor elements in each. The food and service was terrific. 

I was concerned about the classic beverage package being accepted in the Martini Bar, but it was... it will be hard to go back to traveling without one. 

There will be other Edge sailings, personally I suspect that those who love the IV will be outweighed by those who do not like it. So perhaps prices will come down some. It is not like the ship won't be available for a later sailing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Marilyn, we are still looking forward to our upcoming TA on the Edge. Our 7 day cruise was way too short a time and only gave us a “taste” of the ship. The weather wasn’t very cooperative either! We are hopeful that Corporate will make the easy additions/adjustments over the next few months. Regardless, we do expect to have a good time, relax and enjoy all that the Edge has to offer.  😊

7 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Marilyn, we are still looking forward to our upcoming TA on the Edge. Our 7 day cruise was way too short a time and only gave us a “taste” of the ship. The weather wasn’t very cooperative either! We are hopeful that Corporate will make the easy additions/adjustments over the next few months. Regardless, we do expect to have a good time, relax and enjoy all that the Edge has to offer.  😊

Let's hope X is listening!

I still wish I could go on that cruise! 🙂

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

This  is the same approach we are taking...

Not liking the IV concept but not a deal killer... although we would not book it again.

Biggest issue for us so far  is the Celebrity attitude.  They keep talking about a big change in their cruising culture but so far nothing much that wows us and some things that repel us!  Like you we are hoping for change to upscale modern luxury not to a  Royal C  or Carnival  clone !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sun bum said:

Unlike most, we a excited for our upcoming cruise Jan.27th on  the Edge. We booked an SV on deck 10 for a total of $3300. We  have  no concerns about any noise from Eden or the aft Sunset Bar. If available, a cabin on the aft is always our first choice. When the info about the IV rooms were released, we considered one, but quickly recognized some of the drawbacks with them.We are longtime Celebrity cruisers. We know that the Edge will be different but that's why we booked her.. I applaud them for trying to change with the times and venue into some new waters.Time will tell if the new direction is a "hit or miss".If the reviews and opinions of the followers on this board have you doubting your decision to sail the Edge, you always should go with your gut.

You did really well... perfect cabin selection, location on Deck 10 and a great price!

We have an SV Deck 7,  booked for an 8 or 9 night ABC Island Cruise in Nov....paying almost twice that fare for a few days more & more ports, but we hope it will be worth it.  Our first aft cabin!   Deck 7 concerns us a bit,  but hoping for the best!

We are cruising in AQ on Jan 27th.  Hope to see you at the Informal Sailaway Party at Sunset Bar after the safety drill or around the ship

Counting down to Happy Sails!

22 hours ago, TeaBag said:

We cancelled too, an AQ IV that we booked on opening day.  Like C dragons, I hope they don't mess up the rest of the fleet with their revolutions or whatever they call them.  Why can't each class be distinct?

Because Celebrity is trying to appeal to a different demographic group and to do that they need a consistent brand.  It is pretty much an all in strategy.

15 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

Because Celebrity is trying to appeal to a different demographic group and to do that they need a consistent brand.  It is pretty much an all in strategy.

I think you are correct..As I mentioned on another thread:

They may be great at business but  seem to have little grasp on Modern Luxury or upscale, chic  and classy!  Maybe they don't want to be that  brand anymore but still want to command the big fares!  

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

I'm glad you're still going, because I've been looking forward to meeting you at sail away. I'll be wearing my "Cruising on the Edge" shirt😊. Marilyn, I wish you could join us too! Despite concerns (legitimate concerns IMO) raised by many even handed reviewers, we're still looking forward to our Edge TA. This doesn't mean we don't hope Celebrity is already fixing some obvious errors. I can certainly understand why some of you have cancelled, and hope you have a wonderful time on alternate cruises. We are quite disappointed about some things reviewers on revenue cruises have reported, and I expect we'll revisit our decision a few more times before final payment. I hope people will continue to write balanced reviews & post cabin reviews on Vt's Cabin sticky. 

Edited by Silkroad

5 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

I'm glad you're still going, because I've been looking forward to meeting you at sail away. I'll be wearing my "Cruising on the Edge" shirt😊. Marilyn, I wish you could join us too! Despite concerns (legitimate concerns IMO) raised by several even handed reviewers, we're still looking forward to our Edge TA. This doesn't mean we don't hope Celebrity is already fixing some obvious errors. I can certainly understand why some of you have cancelled, and hope you have a wonderful time on alternate cruises. We are quite disappointed about some things reviewers on revenue cruises have reported, and I expect we'll revisit our decision a few more times before final payment. I hope people will continue to write balanced reviews & post cabin reviews on Vt's Cabin sticky. 

I look forward to meeting you too! 

• Like 1

I have been vocal about the things I did not like on the Edge.  The bars, the lack of activities during the day, the fact that I could only get Caffeine Free Diet Coke at some of the bars,  the IV "Florida Room" and the lack of nice music to enjoy while having drinks.  I really need to say that I thought the ship was absolutely gorgeous!!  Our room, an accessible concierge, was large and beautiful.  What it lacked compared to other cabins (the secret shoe cabinet, the drawers in the safe closet, the shelves on both sides of the mirror in the bathroom, the tiny hanging closet and the drawer under the sink) was made up in the actual size of the room.  We made use of Kelly's pillows by using them as foot cushions on the balcony "table."   The food was the best on the 35+ cruises I have taken.  I loved the 4 main dining rooms.  It was nice dining in a more intimate venue.  We booked each on for 2 nights except 1 for Tuscan.  I really loved the chance to sample the "Specialty' selections based on the theme of the dining room.  And I loved the 4 oz. filet mignon and mac and cheese from the kids menu that I ordered for dinner, 4 times I think!!  The Eden café was great for sandwiches.  They also had the best brownies I have ever had on a ship!  They were actually brownies; not cake!!   The service was 5 star!!  As an example, I did the dumbest thing in the world upon leaving the ship!!  I left all of my jewelry in the safe!  I didn't realize it until Monday evening.  On Tuesday, I filled out a lost and found claim.  Of course the ship wouldn't be back in port until Sunday and then Christmas intervened.  10 days after I left the ship, I got an email saying the jewelry had been found and it was being Fedexed to me.  I received it the next day!!  All of it!!  Maybe some of you can help me with a big problem now.  I want to send Arturo, our room steward for cabin 9230, a huge reward.  But how do I get a message to him? I know they move around the ship so he may be in a different area each week.  I really want to get his email so I can figure out with him, how to send him money.  For those of you about to go on the ship, maybe you can ask your room steward if they know Arturo.  Many thanks to those who attempt to find him for me!!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Silkroad said:

I'm glad you're still going, because I've been looking forward to meeting you at sail away. I'll be wearing my "Cruising on the Edge" shirt😊. Marilyn, I wish you could join us too! Despite concerns (legitimate concerns IMO) raised by many even handed reviewers, we're still looking forward to our Edge TA. This doesn't mean we don't hope Celebrity is already fixing some obvious errors. I can certainly understand why some of you have cancelled, and hope you have a wonderful time on alternate cruises. We are quite disappointed about some things reviewers on revenue cruises have reported, and I expect we'll revisit our decision a few more times before final payment. I hope people will continue to write balanced reviews & post cabin reviews on Vt's Cabin sticky. 

Believe me, I would love to be on that cruise. I'm still buying lottery tickets so that I can retire sooner 😉.

BTW, I went in to check my settings since people haven't been able to message me and found that you were in there as "Ignore user." I have no idea how that happened, but hopefully I didn't miss something you directed at me.  🙂  Anyway, you are no longer ignored!!

2 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Believe me, I would love to be on that cruise. I'm still buying lottery tickets so that I can retire sooner 😉.

BTW, I went in to check my settings since people haven't been able to message me and found that you were in there as "Ignore user." I have no idea how that happened, but hopefully I didn't miss something you directed at me.  🙂  Anyway, you are no longer ignored!!

Ooooh good idea. I keep forgetting to buy one. Would love to retire sooner, and much more plump in the pocket😂  

You may have done, but no worries. You probably only missed me saying nice things about you & your efforts on behalf of all of us Edgies😉 I’ve accidentally “ignored” a couple people since CC was last updated. Fortunately, I realized it right away & fixed it. Good luck choosing those lottery tickets!

• Thanks 1

This afternoon I cancelled our April sailing on the Edge.  Too much money for too iffy a product.  Actually, I had been tending towards cancelling for some time and several conversations with people who had been on her iced the deal.  My wife is disappointed but I really feel confident this was the right thing to do.  There will be plenty of time to take cruises on her at some future point, perhaps when the cost is less.  .  I spend so much time on the veranda but the Edge seems to offer no more than sitting in front of an open French door while in my bedroom.  I guess I'm just a dark paneling, fireplace, library kind of guy.

Edited by BosoxI
  • Like 1

I cancelled my November 2019 booking yesterday. I had Oceanview cabin 8101 which I thought would be great but then read the review of 8103 and the noise issue highlighted combined with all the other feedback and the high cost compared with other Celebrity ships made it an easy decision.

I'm very glad I cancelled the b2b part of my booking, because I think one week will be enough to decide whether or not to keep Edge on our list of possible cruises.  One thing they could do to fix two problems in one swell foop:  drop all the Eden performers and use those billets to hire more bartenders.  [Seriously, we all know they will be dropping the Eden entertainment pretty soon as a cost-cutting measure anyway, so why not lobby for the savings to be put to good use?]

On 12/28/2018 at 2:17 PM, Presto2 said:

Have to say, I do understand your thinking.

In the UK though we do not keep our deposit if we cancel and we have paid for our flights as part of our transfers so no option to cancel as the deposit and cost of hotel and flight would not be refunded.

It is our 25th anniversary so a special one and I suppose we are worried about negative comments re the IV cabins and lack of quiet drinking areas. Having said that, we have so many lovely memories re the build up to the ship as she 'grew' and the other members of CC we chatted with that it would be sad to end 'our journey' now and not see it through. Will never forget the major discussion re the polar bear and Mr Edge 😉

The only thing I would change if I could is the location of the cabin. Don't like the outside area below the cabin that we have booked as that was not on any plans at all (and we were reassured would not be noisy at all) but we think may be. If the SV cabins weren't above Eden we would have gone for one of those …… but I liked the novelty of the IV cabin.

We will go and make the most of it

Why don't you call either your Travel Agent or Celebrity and ask if you can change to a different location after reading reviews? 

15 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I KNOW you will have a fabulous time!  By all reports and pictures, the ship is absolutely beautiful.  Had we moved forward with final payment, we would have found things to love and enjoy.  Fortunately, we had time on our side so that we could make a more informed decision about going now, or waiting until later.  

As someone else mentioned, it may behoove Celebrity to keep each class of ship, E, S, and M as unique classes within the fleet so that customers have options when choosing the Celebrity product.

We too switched the Edge SV for the RS on Reflection early on.

Have a wonderful cruise.