NCL Lied to me 3 times!!!

YankeesFan4Life

On 11/29/18 I booked my cruise on Breakaway out of Miami for an August sailing.  Two days prior, I spoke to an NCL agent who told me that I had 60 days to transfer my booking to my travel agent if I chose to.  I was waiting to find out if I made a bonus through work, which equated to a hefty travel voucher which had to be booked through my travel agent.  Me, just being me jumped the gun and booked because it kept saying that this is the last day for $50 deposits and the free airfare etc.....

Two days later, back on 11/29, I spoke to a woman named Angel (not with NCL anymore), and she assured me I had 60 days, and I specifically remembered the date 1/29/19 to have it sent to my agent, so I would be able to wait to see if there were any Christmas or New Years sales, but to no avail, there were no sales...I ended up booking with Angel.

On 12/30/18, the prices went up, and I'm glad I booked when I did, and decided to go ahead and get the process rolling to my agency. While looking online, I see on the website it was only 30 days, and I start freaking out!  I get on the phone, couldn't get to "Angel", and got someone else on the line who said to start the paperwork, and it shouldn't be a problem....Luckily, I got her extension, and in the end, she saved the day.  Meanwhile, while on the line with another guy in that dept, he told me that I was 200+ days out from my sailing, and any time after 30 days after booking, I could get it over to th agency, all while he thought I was interrupting him and hung up on me when I didn't say a word (with my 15 year old son as my witness!)

Bottom line, that one woman, named Tee, helped me out and got it taken care of.  I was hoping they'd offer me some sort of compensation for being lied to, spending countless hours on the phone (mostly on hold) and having my TA also go through the same BS.  I would've like a couple bucks in OBC, but I guess I should be happy they ended up transferring the reservation instead of canceling and rebooking which would've cost me a minimum of $160 total for both rooms...

Just my gripe, but seems like nobody is on the same page over there and was an extremely frustrating process....Now the LONG wait til my cruise!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

No one lied to you. NCL call center personnel are minimum wage call center personnel who can only try to interpret your request, type it into their computer and read what is on their screen. If you have an unusual or complex request, do not expect any consistency in a response. They poor call center personnel are trying their best to answer your question. 

Edited by BirdTravels

You won't get anything from them. When I called to book my upcoming February cruise I wanted to use my cruise next certificate. It wasn't going through, and the agent assured me they would get it fixed on their end, and issue me a $250 credit to my credit card once it was applied. Well, they had wrong info as my cruise was only 5 days and the minimum needed is 6, so the cruise next would NEVER be able to work on that sailing.

Yes, I should have remembered being told this a year ago when I spontaneously purchased my certificates, but more importantly their own employees should have known this. There is an identical sailing the week following which was 6 days long - having known this at the time of booking I probably would of just picked that one instead. 

Long story short - they are human and prone to mistakes just like us. Confirm and double confirm 3x with 3 different people, and always get it in writing if you expect to hold them to what they claim.

Why should they owe you any compensation? You got what you wanted, and didn't lose a dime.

If you are unsatisfied with their service, don't use them again. It's very simple.

Maybe you don't realize this, but when you call NCL reservations, you aren't talking to an NCL employee. They are independent travel agents who contract with NCL to book reservations. My Personal Cruise Consultant has always done a great job taking care of me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

You won't get anything from them. When I called to book my upcoming February cruise I wanted to use my cruise next certificate. It wasn't going through, and the agent assured me they would get it fixed on their end, and issue me a $250 credit to my credit card once it was applied. Well, they had wrong info as my cruise was only 5 days and the minimum needed is 6, so the cruise next would NEVER be able to work on that sailing.

Yes, I should have remembered being told this a year ago when I spontaneously purchased my certificates, but more importantly their own employees should have known this. There is an identical sailing the week following which was 6 days long - having known this at the time of booking I probably would of just picked that one instead. 

Long story short - they are human and prone to mistakes just like us. Confirm and double confirm 3x with 3 different people, and always get it in writing if you expect to hold them to what they claim.

Same exact thing happened to me.  They have so many rules and exceptions that they don't make clear, because most of them are detrimental to the consumer, it gets confusing for the folks who answer the phone. I don't blame people who answer phone, but NCL.  I wonder when college will start courses on how best to book a cruise??

• Like 1

Just an observation...

People who cultivate a good business relationship with their travel agent or PCC (whichever they choose to use) don't seem to be the ones who are on here (and other social media sites) reporting these types of problems.

The problems...especially "long hold times"...seem to be connected to the cruisers who book themselves through the website and/or simply call the 1-800 number to get customer service from whichever random person happens to get their call.

Time and time again: Develop a relationship with a trained and reputable travel agent or PCC and work directly with them. It will pay off for you repeatedly. They are more knowledgeable than the random 1-800 person. With a direct line/extension you can get straight to them without waiting on hold. While you may get the same price, you will never get a better price booking yourself.

17 minutes ago, clean1owner said:

Maybe you don't realize this, but when you call NCL reservations, you aren't talking to an NCL employee. They are independent travel agents who contract with NCL to book reservations. My Personal Cruise Consultant has always done a great job taking care of me.

I don't believe this is correct.  When I made my first ever NCL reservation (I know go through CAS), the person said she worked at the reservations phone bank office in Mesa, Arizona. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I don't believe this is correct.  When I made my first ever NCL reservation (I know go through CAS), the person said she worked at the reservations phone bank office in Mesa, Arizona. 

My PCC told me herself that she isn't an NCL employee

19 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Does what one person told you however many years ago when you made your first ever NCL reservation somehow invalidate what the other poster is saying today??

14 minutes ago, clean1owner said:

My PCC told me herself that she isn't an NCL employee

Does the fact that one PCC told you that she isn't an NCL employee somehow invalidate what the other poster is saying? Since your one PCC is not an NCL employee does that mean that ALL PCCs are also not NCL employees?

2 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Does what one person told you however many years ago when you made your first ever NCL reservation somehow invalidate what the other poster is saying today??

Well I don't know why they would have a building in Mesa if they had no employees.  Plus, a simple google brought up this where they are hiring in Mesa.  Interesting that some can work from their own homes as well:

https://www.google.com/search?q=norwegian+cruise+line+office+in+mesa+az&rlz=1C1CAFA_enUS659US662&oq=norwegian+cruise+line+office+in+mesa+az&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.9772j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

3 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Well I don't know why they would have a building in Mesa if they had no employees.  Plus, a simple google brought up this where they are hiring in Mesa.  Interesting that some can work from their own homes as well:

https://www.google.com/search?q=norwegian+cruise+line+office+in+mesa+az&rlz=1C1CAFA_enUS659US662&oq=norwegian+cruise+line+office+in+mesa+az&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.9772j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Let me put in another way...

NOTHING is ever 100% one way or the other. Rules are made and exceptions, sometimes rare and sometimes not, do occur.

People can and do speak in generalities. Just like nothing is ever 100%, it is virtually impossible to speak in ironclad statements.

What is to be gained by "NO...YOU'RE WRONG. I know of an exception and therefore that disproves EVERYTHING you say!"??

You did it to them....they did it right back to you...nothing productive was gained.

You assumed that what applied to your first ever PCC applied to everyone. They assumed that what one PCC told them on the phone also applied to everyone. BOTH of you could have been given factual, but DIFFERENT, information...that doesn't automatically mean that your information somehow PROVES the other person WRONG requiring some sort of correction. Just because one person has an experience doesn't mean that everyone will have the same experience.

59 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Just an observation...

People who cultivate a good business relationship with their travel agent or PCC (whichever they choose to use) don't seem to be the ones who are on here (and other social media sites) reporting these types of problems.

The problems...especially "long hold times"...seem to be connected to the cruisers who book themselves through the website and/or simply call the 1-800 number to get customer service from whichever random person happens to get their call.

Time and time again: Develop a relationship with a trained and reputable travel agent or PCC and work directly with them. It will pay off for you repeatedly. They are more knowledgeable than the random 1-800 person. With a direct line/extension you can get straight to them without waiting on hold. While you may get the same price, you will never get a better price booking yourself.

Well said!

A perfect example of having a good relationship with a PCC happened to me 2 years ago. Mine knows that I can sometimes sail last minute, and contacted me about a special fare reduction for a repositioning cruise. Got a balcony on the Gem, sailing from San Juan to New York City, for 8 nights for $269 each!

40 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Does the fact that one PCC told you that she isn't an NCL employee somehow invalidate what the other poster is saying? Since your one PCC is not an NCL employee does that mean that ALL PCCs are also not NCL employees?

Actually, that is exactly what she told me.

40 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Let me put in another way...

NOTHING is ever 100% one way or the other. Rules are made and exceptions, sometimes rare and sometimes not, do occur.

People can and do speak in generalities. Just like nothing is ever 100%, it is virtually impossible to speak in ironclad statements.

What is to be gained by "NO...YOU'RE WRONG. I know of an exception and therefore that disproves EVERYTHING you say!"??

You did it to them....they did it right back to you...nothing productive was gained.

You assumed that what applied to your first ever PCC applied to everyone. They assumed that what one PCC told them on the phone also applied to everyone. BOTH of you could have been given factual, but DIFFERENT, information...that doesn't automatically mean that your information somehow PROVES the other person WRONG requiring some sort of correction. Just because one person has an experience doesn't mean that everyone will have the same experience.

Never said I spoke with a PCC, I called the 800 number and even said maybe the PCC weren't NCL employees, but I believed the ones that answered the phone bank were.  I never said he was WRONG, I said I didn't believe the information was correct and explained why I felt that way; I guess you feel some can't disagree with what others post, even though you do it alot.  Maybe you need to read the post before you accuse someone of saying something they didn't.  What is gained by you attacking another poster?

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1

In the NCL FAQ page located here:
https://www.ncl.com/faq#how-can-i-transfer-my-reservation-my-travel-agent-if-i-booked-directly-norwegian

it says

How can I transfer my reservation to my travel agent if I booked directly with Norwegian?

If your booking is not paid in full, you can transfer your reservation to a travel agency within 30 days from your booking date. Click here for additional information.

While it is sad that the 1800 people reps do not know what they are talking about regardless who works for who, it is always best to check the website for info too

10 minutes ago, shof515 said:

In the NCL FAQ page located here:
https://www.ncl.com/faq#how-can-i-transfer-my-reservation-my-travel-agent-if-i-booked-directly-norwegian

it says

While it is sad that the 1800 people reps do not know what they are talking about regardless who works for who, it is always best to check the website for info too

We see this all to often that folks are saying they were given inaccurate information.  I wish everytime someone gets wrong information they would write a letter or email Vivian Ewart, Vice President, Passenger Services at NCL and let her know what happened.  Maybe if she get inundated with letters/emails she will look into the training of their employees.

A few posts here remind me of how low our customer service expectations have fallen.  Apparently, we're supposed to expect poor service because the people on the other end are low paid, or contractors, etc.  Sad.

As to whether it's a contractor or NCL employee answering the phone, what difference does it make?  If I call NCL, doesn't NCL have a responsibility to make sure the people answering its phones are properly trained and prepared to speak on behalf of NCL regardless of their employment status?  

• Like 2

In regards to the comment about making sure to develop a relationship with your booking agent/travel agent/etc.

I received a CAS voucher and had to call the 1-800 number.

I received extremely good service. The rep gave me all the correct information. She told me if I picked the free drink package it would cost X dollars. She asked me what I put as a priority in a room and picked a room that was quiet.

I"m sure my polite, kind, and respectful tone on my part helped to have a pleasant experience.

None of the people you contact by phone work for NCL, they either work for a group that NCL contracts with or they are independent third part telephone agents. I will say this - there are numerous post on CC that say you have to transfer to a TA within 30 days.

• Like 1