Afternoon tea

fluffybunny22

16 minutes ago, fluffybunny22 said:

I just booked the Sky Princess for June 2020. Super excited. My son and I love afternoon tea (husband not so much). Is it every afternoon or just on sea days? Is there a fee for it because if there is I can just send my husband somewhere else. TIA.

On Royal Class ships there is another tea in the Piazza that is $10pp. Not sure if the Sky will continue this.

I just do the one in the free one in the DR. It's great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

On Royal Class ships there is another tea in the Piazza that is $10pp. Not sure if the Sky will continue this.

I just do the one in the free one in the DR. It's great.

What's the difference between the free one in the MDR and the fee one in the Piazza? 10 bucks isn't a big deal. I'm used to paying $40 and listening to grumbling. I think we have 3 sea days so I could do both. I've done a lot of art auctions with my husband so I might be able to get by with a 10 dollar tea without complaints.

The tea in the Piazza on the Royal Class ships includes champagne.

You could always have your own tea time by getting tea and pastries/desserts served in the International Cafe. This option is not limited to sea days.

My DH and I have also enjoyed afternoon tea on our balcony by ordering from room service.

2 hours ago, fluffybunny22 said:

What's the difference between the free one in the MDR and the fee one in the Piazza? 10 bucks isn't a big deal. I'm used to paying $40 and listening to grumbling. I think we have 3 sea days so I could do both. I've done a lot of art auctions with my husband so I might be able to get by with a 10 dollar tea without complaints.

The Royal tea, offered only on Royal class ships is either $10 or $20. $10 for the tea, $20 if you want s glass of champagne. 

The tea itself is upgraded from the dining room. Three tier tray with mini sandwiches,  scones, cookies,  etc. Upgraded tea itself - the Mighty Leaf tea from International Cafe versus the Bigelow or twinings in MDR (or buffet, etc).  It's in the round seating area off the Piazza next to International Caffè, under Belini's.

It's a more "posh" experience than the more mass casual tea in dining room. Both are good.  Try both, if you like.  

You do have to sigh up/reserve in advance for the Royal tea.. 

2 hours ago, fluffybunny22 said:

I see no point in the fee one.

The one in the DR is excellent.

I don't need any headache water.

I have done both. I actually prefer the free one- I don't like being "on display" in the Atrium. Also, it is a lot of food... most of which I do not eat. The free tea in the MDR, you take only what you want, as they come around and offer it.

3 hours ago, moresun said:

Where does one sign up for Royal Tea ?

There's a sign up form outside the International Cafe/next to the Atrium, the day before it's offered. Just ask the IC folks, or the maitre'd. The sign up form has always been right next to the staircase between 5 and 6 next to IC..

A lot of people seem to think that on the days the Royal Afternoon Tea is offered that the complimentary tea is not. It is.

Just look at the dining hours grid on page four of the Princess Patter and it will tell you which dining room and time the standard tea service is offered. Most ships have changed the time to 3:00 (from 3:30) over the past year but on Golden Princess this summer there was one odd day it was 3:30 rather than 3:00. 

And while I tend to agree that there really is no need for fans of the complimentary tea to try the Royal Tea other than simple curiosity, there must have been lots of the curious when I was on Royal Princess a year ago as both days it was offered were instantly booked in full. 

There is a decided difference between the free tea in the DR and the Royal tea in the atrium.  DW and I have done both and would continue to do so.  The MDR tea is nice, has a few simple food items, a single tea and allows you to meet others at a shared table.  It does not require any advance thought or planning as you just show up at the door to the MDR and are seated.  All in all a good experience.  The Royal tea is more of a true tearoom experience.  You are offered a variety of teas during the event and served sandwiches and sweets as they are served in a tearoom.  We do not add the Champagne.  For $10 it is a treat and a bargain. My DW often does TEA with friends and generally spends $35-50, so $10 is pretty reasonable.

• Like 1

On the Royal Princess the Royal afternoon tea was offered on days that were formal nights. There was a sign up book in the Piazza. I believe the cost was $10, but $20 if you want champagne. It's served right in the Piazza. From what I noticed it's looks pretty nice, but the free ones in the DR are also nice. Assume the Sky will also have this feature.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:36 AM, fluffybunny22 said:

I just booked the Sky Princess for June 2020. Super excited. My son and I love afternoon tea (husband not so much). Is it every afternoon or just on sea days? Is there a fee for it because if there is I can just send my husband somewhere else. TIA.

Afternoon tea was offered every day except embarkation on our Princess cruises. I hope they haven't cut it back to only sea days.

Edited by geoherb

Just got off the Regal this Sunday. MDR tea time was offered every day of our two week cruise. One of my favourite things about Princess! 

Tea time pics from this Christmas and last Christmas on Regal.

19FD8879-5E0B-43D8-B15F-F31018EA2564.jpeg

6C029033-4986-470B-BE3A-B88D3CF0B196.jpeg

EF094A67-ECD8-4DBF-A8AD-9F07C8CF6D2F.jpeg

824D19AA-DD0B-4C80-9F2B-F5B26B3930A0.jpeg

8FA234B6-7FE3-4F83-A634-133598C65CEC.jpeg

Never thought we'd like it but we went once and had a blast. Love the little sandwiches. Then we reached Elite and tried the complimentary in-room tea service.  A lot of food but pretty cool. Just give six hours notice and make room for all the stuff. 

• Like 1