Is FTTF worth it?

littlemonkeymom

Looking at possibly getting FTTF for our family, but with 2 cabins the price tag is pretty steep.

Thinking it might be nice to be able to board quickly (especially with hangry teenagers at lunchtime, LOL), as well as to have priority debarkation for our 8:30AM excursion in Cozumel, but is it worth $160??  Thoughts?

Not worth it to me, but others will come along who love FTTF.   There is no priority debarkation at Cozumel so FTTF won’t help you there.  Based on your post, it comes down to is getting on the ship a few minutes to a few hours early, depending on your check-in window time, worth $160 to you. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 1

yeah. hard to say. you do get to the front of the line at guest services. we've only had to deal with them a couple times ever, so whatever. we used it last spring on the victory and they called us and then the forst groups of regulars right after, like...right...after. Not even a 10 minute gap so yeah we got on quick, but so did everybody else.  I suppose it's nice though to have your room ready and drop stuff off though, otherwise it could be an hour  or 2 before your room is ready, so you'll have to haul your stuff around.

We like it and try to get it on every cruise. I'll be one day short of turning Platinum on our upcoming cruise, so this will be the last time I'll buy it.  We like being able to go straight to our cabin after embarking.  Also, having a dedicated window at GS is also nice.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dreslercarie said:

This is our first cruise and we purchased FTTF. What all is included? 

From Carnival's website:

Here's what the program includes:

Priority Security, Check-in and Boarding
A dedicated security and check-in lane has been set aside for all Priority guests on embarkation day. FTTF guests will board after VIFP Diamond, Platinum and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations.  
Note: Only VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations have access to the Captain’s Lounge.  

First Access to Stateroom
Your stateroom will be ready for you as soon as you board, so you can relax or freshen up for all the fun you are about to have.

Priority Luggage
While we process thousands of bags, FTTF luggage will receive priority delivery.
Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests.

Guest Services
Quickly have any of your questions answered or requests addressed as you will have a dedicated phone extension and line at Guest Services.
Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests.

Dining Reservations
Priority Dinner Time Assignment: FTTF guests will be cleared after VIFP Platinum guests. This benefit does not include specific time reservations for 'Your Time Dining'.
Note: VIFP Diamond guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations are guaranteed their dining in the Main Dining Room.

Water Shuttle Priority
You will have priority water shuttle service from ship to shore (multiple departure times may be possible) so you can explore ashore as quickly as you want to. When ready to go ashore, if not on a Carnival shore excursion, present yourself at the Guest Services Desk.
Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations.

Debarkation Choices
When it’s time to say good bye, you may choose an early or late disembarkation time upon arrival to your homeport.
Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations.

I love the idea of being able to skip lines. With that said, I think FTTF is a joke. The new embarkation process is a breeze. You're basically paying to get to your room 2 hours early and go through the guest services line quicker. I almost bought it for my first tender port because I thought the priority access would be beneficial. There was no wait whatsoever. 

I would be all about FTTF if it included priority access to punchliner, other shows, getting on/off at ports, and food lines. Those are actual value propositions for me.

• Like 1

I felt it was kinda worth it when we had it before the price hike, and well, I almost got it again at the higher price, but after thinking about it, I ultimately decided it wasn't really worth it for us anymore.

Priority Boarding:  We got on a little earlier than the non-priority passengers, our cabins were ready upon boarding and we could drop off our carry-ons before going to lunch. Nice, but I figure we could just get a 1:00 or later check-in time since we really don't need to be among the first ones on board and the cabins would be ready upon boarding then too. Not worth it.

Luggage: It did arrive faster than last time without FTTF, but since we pack everything we would need right away in our carry-on bags, so not really needed and not worth it. 

Guest Services: This was nice as we did have to visit guest services a few times, but not really worth paying for.

Tendering: I can see it being worth it if you really want to get over in the first groups or have a private excursion you want to be on time for, otherwise we found it was just best to take our time and wait until after the crowds die down. We have no tender ports on our upcoming cruise anyways, so not worth it either way.

Disembarkation: We drive to the port, so we have no need to get off early, so take the late disembarkation, so not worth it.

It really depends on if you can see any of these benefits being important enough to make it worth it for you.  

For DH and I -  FTTF isn't really worth the price.  We get the earliest terminal check-in appointment available by going to our CCL cruise manager page at 12:01 am the day times become available. ( Our booking information told us what date that would be)

We check all our luggage except for rolling tote bags which we easily keep with us when we go to have lunch after boarding.  Our habit is to have a leisurely lunch and then a lovely umbrella drink out on deck.  By that time our cabin is ready.

We use the kiosk to keep track of our bill and never have to wait behind more than one other person to do that.  If I do have to use Guest Services I go when folks are busy at other activities and the wait is very short then.

If I had a bunch of kids or a bunch of carry-ons I might see it differently but the above is our reasoning for not purchasing it

• Like 1

19 hours ago, littlemonkeymom said:

Looking at possibly getting FTTF for our family, but with 2 cabins the price tag is pretty steep.

Thinking it might be nice to be able to board quickly (especially with hangry teenagers at lunchtime, LOL), as well as to have priority debarkation for our 8:30AM excursion in Cozumel, but is it worth $160??  Thoughts?

If you are on a Carnival excursion, you usually get priority debarkation anyway.  It has always worked that way for me.  I actually did get priority debarkation in Costa Maya when we had an excursion with a third party.  Maybe that was an exception, though. 

Tell your hangry teenagers to behave themselves.  It's not worth $160 just to appease them.  I have a teenager, so I know of what I speak.  You get a check in time and they can eat before you board and since they are never full, no problem. 🙂

I don't find FTTF necessary except for a few exceptions so only you can make that decision.  But I'm overly thrifty sometimes. 

WE had FTTF our last cruise... what a waste.  It really only saved us a few minutes here and there, and even though our room as supposed to be ready on embarkation, it wasn't.  It was nice on debarkation to get off the ship early, with the Platinum group, but our flight wasn't until afternoon so it made no difference for us.  

I think it used to be worth it. I bought it for our Magic and Dream cruises. The magic when it was originally $50 and the Dream when the price had gone up by $10 (I think?).  I remember walking by these LONG lines of people waiting to get checked in. I almost felt bad! 

However, with the raised price and the VERY fast check in process (along with the joy of a chosen check in time), it is most definitely not worth it to me. I always end up with a check in time between 11 and 11:30, which has meant on the ship easily before noon. 

This is JMO. 🙂

Edited by momof4girls

I think it really depends on you and your situation. For us, with a tiny one who still naps, it's REALLY nice to have early access to the room. We can hop on, drop off our bags and get the kiddos fed before putting the littlest down for a nap. Since our luggage arrives early, one of us can stay with her and unpack while the other explores the ship with our older daughter or takes her swimming. She can wake up just in time for muster and sail away, and the vacation is off to a much better start for all of us! It's also just great to get on the ship with very little waiting, since they get impatient and bored in line.

We also tend to book our own shore excursions outside of Carnival, and so the priority tender has been very nice in ports where that is an issue.

I also like skipping the guest services line when needed. I don't use it often, but it always seems like there are 2-3 times per cruise I need it.

I also like being the first group off the ship once we are home, because we usually have something planned in the home port for the day.

But, if it were just us adults, and we weren't planning on doing outside excursions, I would probably save the money.

I have to admit I first started buying FTTF at $50, and thought it was truly worth it. Then I endured the price hikes over the years.  Now, at $90, I would rather spend the money on drinks, souvenirs, bingo and such.

(Yeah, yeah, I know, "Easy for you to say, now that you're Platinum." Either way, $90 seems too much.)

13 minutes ago, jayscore said:

I have to admit I first started buying FTTF at $50, and thought it was truly worth it. Then I endured the price hikes over the years.  Now, at $90, I would rather spend the money on drinks, souvenirs, bingo and such.

(Yeah, yeah, I know, "Easy for you to say, now that you're Platinum." Either way, $90 seems too much.)

I agree. At $50 it was nice. After the last price increase I wasn't going to buy it anymore, but had to get it for my cruise leaving tomorrow as I need to be off the ship as soon as possible and hate the self disembark Hunger Games. Embarkation is so much easier now that I'll only get it in the future if there's a pressing need. 

1 hour ago, jayscore said:

I agree jayscore money better spent elsewhere. We only purchased it once when it first came out. Really no value to us. We got on right in front of a whole lot of others without FTF. Back when we did it our cabin wasn't ready so no early access. Rarely if ever have to go to Guest Services. Now with the price hike I would not spend money on it again. I would go to the steakhouse etc instead. Others see the value and that's fine. To each his own.

Edited by Cinders411

It’s worth it if you have a tender port like HMC. I wasn’t going to buy it after the price hike but my hubby insisted. I like just being able to go straight to our room and drop off our stuff. And using guest services once or twice makes it worth passing all the other people up. 🙂