Review MS Amsterdam Grand Asia & Pacific Cruise 2018

Floridiana

MS Amsterdam  Sept 30 – Dec 21, 2018

Our background: Couple in our early 70s, well travelled, cruised on 15 different lines including HAL. We pick cruises for their itineraries. This 82 day cruise was the longest we had ever taken and we are pleased to say that it was also one of the best.

Fellow passengers: Not surprising on such a long cruise, more than two thirds were 66 and over.  Most were avid HAL cruisers and many like long cruises on the Amsterdam.

Ship: In good shape; frequent cleaning going on inside and maintenance outside.

Cabin: We had suite 7028 and enjoyed the extra service on the navigation deck. The balcony had a lot of space; the refrigerator was filled with sodas that we replaced with the water bottles that were brought daily. The cabin was large enough for us with ample storage. We have enjoyed more modern décor and more sophisticated storage cabinets on newer ships of European lines, but we were happy with this cabin. The stewards made it spotless. The suite comes with free laundry which is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The laundry looked better than at home.

Crew: The hotel staff is definitely the best we have ever encountered. On other ships, it is often just a few members who go out of their way to be helpful.  On the MS Amsterdam, the warm and friendly service was consistent. Everyone in the Lido buffet restaurant, the dining room, and the Neptune Lounge went way beyond what we are used to from other ships, including the Hapag Lloyd luxury line. Nothing was too much for our waiters, tea and honey when I had a cold, spicy sambal when I thought an Asian dish needed more pep, crispy dinner rolls, you name it.

Food: I believe the food budget was higher on this cruise than on our previous 14 day b2b cruises on HAL ships. We are picky about authentic taste. We were happy with the European dishes that tasted just like in the Old Country. There was daily sushi and an Asian counter in the Lido, but also all the American favorites.

Daytime activities:  There were so many to choose from that every passenger could find several to enjoy. I went to water color, arts & crafts, and Tai Chi taught by Master Cathy Chen, but there were many more options. My husband played bridge organized by a bridge instructor. All the presenters were interesting with topics on the regions where we travelled. Port information speakers were excellent. We had wonderful cultural ambassadors in Australia and from Fiji to Hawaii. Courageous passengers learned to dance the hula and to play the ukulele.

Conclusion: We are looking into booking another HAL grand voyage.

• Like 5

Thank you for your review.

We are boarding the Amsterdam Jan.22.and welcome the great review.

What is the state of the Library? It is a feature we both enjoy and we will be disappointed if it 

has gone the way of the Koningsdam.

The library is still there. Chess games, puzzles, comfortable chairs, reading desk, maps, books. I did not check the passenger book exchange section, but the cabinet is still there. Are you joining the world cruise? Enjoy!

We liked server Raja in the Lido, servers Hendra and Leonardo, Gan and Denny in the dining room. Other passengers thought THEIR servers were the best. ;-) If you see Joyce and Glen at the front desk, tell them hi from their most ardent fans.

• Like 1

Thank you Floridiana. Now we won't need to be as serious about finding a used book store in Ft Lauderdale.

I will load a bunch on my iPad, too.

Yes, we are on the first segment of the World Cruise.Lots of reading time, if we can spare time from all the shipboard activities,

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I were on the full, 89-day cruise, and we fully concur with Floridiana's assessment.  For those who think that 89 days would be too much, too boring, etc., etc.  Think again!  We no sooner embarked on September 23rd in Seattle, when we were being told to start packing for disembarkation.

It was a wonderful cruise, and we thought the ship was in excellent condition.  Well, almost excellent, the carpeting in some of the halls and cabins could be replaced.  We, too, are looking forward to another Grand Voyage.  The last word was the possibility of a 2020 Grand Africa.  We will see.  We would love to take another long cruise, particularly to Asia.  There is no comparison in the atmosphere between short cruises and long ones.  The ship becomes your home, and your fellow passengers your neighbors/friends - whatever.  If you have the opportunity, take it.