VTcruising Is Living On The Edge Again: The LIVE Saga Continues (1/20/19)

vtcruising

1 hour ago, alexsarasota said:

VT:  Unless I missed the post I haven’t heard nor seen any mention on the Retreat Lounge experience. We plan on spending some quiet time there during our cruise.  Does anyone who has had a suite on Edge can share their experience. Loved Michaels Club and anxious to compare with Retreat. Thank you. 

We have enjoyed the Retreat Lounge, but have not used it a lot. I think many miss the bar area to meet others since the seating, though lovely, is split by curtains in some cases, and by arrangement of furniture in others. If you go with others it is fine, but less fun if alone and have no bar.

We just found out today that they will put a Retreat Lounge Bar on the Apex so must be they have had many complaints.

They are not doing any entertainment in there which I think is a huge mistake. This is coming from Miami because of the different concept. Hopefully that will change as more and more give feedback. We loved having a guitarist or jazz or strings group play in Michael's before dinner.

The concierges are great about stopping by to check on you and see if they can help (and getting your opinions) and the continental breakfast and evening munchies are great.  The drink service is great (really good drinks) and staff are lovely. The addition of the outside lounge area is nice. We loved grabbing tea and a pastry and going out there in the morning.

The sundeck is wonderful. You will be pampered with drinks, food and comfy seating. There are always plenty of loungers. We had lunch up there on a gorgeous day and it was amazing. The bar is friendly and service good. They have hit a home run for the sundeck. IMO.

It's a work in progress and will likely improve over time. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oville said:

The Rooftop Grill is more like the Lawn Club Grill.

Kind of glad we cancelled res there..sorry so windy for your dinner.

I recall  early outings to LCG were windy,  cold and at times wet.  Then they installed the plastic screening making it much better. I am sure they will correct RTG..maybe by our Nov cruise.  We already have a res for a port night.

As for Sunset  Bar, the addition of  canvas canopies  on S class ships blocked the sun and made it cozier. Hope they do that on EDGE!

As you enjoy the last evening of your, cruise, please know how grateful I am for your  posts,,..your encouragement and helping me figure out alot of stuff, including the forest!  Wish we were on the same Summit sailing...Happy sailing and  have safe trip home!

4 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Denisa said I could stay on her couch, though it is small. 😉 The forest music is part of the experience.  Wish I could be there when you go through the first time!!

Marilyn

Well, we made it through Alligator Alley to the east coast, and amazingly it did not rain...We are settled into our hotel and the rain has started. 

Guess I'll make it through the forest too! Will definitely post about my first foray,..worst was the insect room on one of the S ships..but loved the birds,

You are still welcome to share the couch. If Vermont is too cold, you and your husb  are welcome to come down to see us in Fla..We live in a nature preserve., you'd love it!  We'll be here through March..(only one quick trip up to NY for my job) ..Great place for scars to completely heal!

Safe travels..you have paved the way for many  of us EDGIES,   Hope you have many happy journeys to come!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hcat said:

Kind of glad we cancelled res there..sorry so windy for your dinner.

I recall  early outings to LCG were windy,  cold and at times wet.  Then they installed the plastic screening making it much better. I am sure they will correct RTG..maybe by our Nov cruise.  We already have a res for a port night.

As for Sunset  Bar, the addition of  canvas canopies  on S class ships blocked the sun and made it cozier. Hope they do that on EDGE!

As you enjoy the last evening of your, cruise, please know how grateful I am for your  posts,,..your encouragement and helping me figure out alot of stuff, including the forest!  Wish we were on the same Summit sailing...Happy sailing and  have safe trip home!

Thanks Hcat.  I think you will enjoy your cruise very much.  For me the Edge isn’t perfect. I have mixed feelings on the Martini Bar/Grand Plaza/Al  Bacio space.  It is noisy and at times a bit like Grand Central, but the rest of the ship I love (well maybe not so much the forest:classic_wacko:).  We very much enjoyed spending day time and early evenings in Eden.  Make sure you check out all the musical acts, they are all really good and rotate venues onboard.  Also, the Club can be a more relaxing place for a pre-dinner drink if there is a show going on in it.  Blu looks like a very chic place.

Please enjoy yourselves, there is just so much to do.  Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!  Katie

Edited by Oville

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Also the Porch is well protected on the Silhouette and Reflection.  Seems like a very solvable problem and a surprising oversight.

Agree on the oversight. It’s not like they didn’t know. We loved the Porch on Silhouette and had many panini lunches there. We were sad when they changed the Porch menu the the Reflection, but it was very good. 

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

We have enjoyed the Retreat Lounge, but have not used it a lot. I think many miss the bar area to meet others since the seating, though lovely, is split by curtains in some cases, and by arrangement of furniture in others. If you go with others it is fine, but less fun if alone and have no bar.

We just found out today that they will put a Retreat Lounge Bar on the Apex so must be they have had many complaints.

They are not doing any entertainment in there which I think is a huge mistake. This is coming from Miami because of the different concept. Hopefully that will change as more and more give feedback. We loved having a guitarist or jazz or strings group play in Michael's before dinner.

The concierges are great about stopping by to check on you and see if they can help (and getting your opinions) and the continental breakfast and evening munchies are great.  The drink service is great (really good drinks) and staff are lovely. The addition of the outside lounge area is nice. We loved grabbing tea and a pastry and going out there in the morning.

The sundeck is wonderful. You will be pampered with drinks, food and comfy seating. There are always plenty of loungers. We had lunch up there on a gorgeous day and it was amazing. The bar is friendly and service good. They have hit a home run for the sundeck. IMO.

It's a work in progress and will likely improve over time. 🙂

Agree about the musical entertainment in the Retreat before dinner, that would really be nice! They could set up by the floor to ceiling windows on the far right of the room. And I'm happy to hear they will be adding a bar to Apex. As you say, it is a work in progress. We are looking forward to our next Edge TA cruise and our cruises on Apex in 2020. 😊

Hope you have a safe trip home. Get ready to put your coat on, it's really cold up here in th NE..!

On 1/20/2019 at 1:41 PM, C-Dragons said:

Too bad about the balcony furniture. I'm still hopeful that X will correct this. Could you ask the Retreat Concierge if they have heard anything from Corporate about adding verandah furniture to the Sky suites like the S and M class ships have. Thanks!

25 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Agree about the musical entertainment in the Retreat before dinner, that would really be nice! They could set up by the floor to ceiling windows on the far right of the room. And I'm happy to hear they will be adding a bar to Apex. As you say, it is a work in progress. We are looking forward to our next Edge TA cruise and our cruises on Apex in 2020. 😊

Hope you have a safe trip home. Get ready to put your coat on, it's really cold up here in th NE..!

Edge is not for me.I travel solo and always like to have drinks by the Bar.

Thanks for the info on the retreat lounge.

2 minutes ago, verizon said:

Edge is not for me.I travel solo and always like to have drinks by the Bar.

Thanks for the info on the retreat lounge.

Sorry you've come to that conclusion, have you sailed on her yet? Do you know that there is a Retreat bar, on the deck just outside the Lounge? There is also another bar in the Retreat pool area, one deck up. Both places are quite nice.

52 minutes ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

Agree on the oversight. It’s not like they didn’t know. We loved the Porch on Silhouette and had many panini lunches there. We were sad when they changed the Porch menu the the Reflection, but it was very good. 

The Rooftop Grill is similar to the Lawn Club Grill, not the Porch.  There is no equivalent to the Porch on Edge.

11 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Sorry you've come to that conclusion, have you sailed on her yet? Do you know that there is a Retreat bar, on the deck just outside the Lounge? There is also another bar in the Retreat pool area, one deck up. Both places are quite nice.

I am a Zenith member.I heard those Bars are strictly for suite guests only.

Now I see why they change MC to retreat lounge.Its all for business reason.

I guess Loyalty mean nothing anymore to Celebrity.

Just booked an S1 Aft on Apex for the Transatlantic.If the design stay the same as Edge,very likely I am going to cancel.

Edited by verizon

2 minutes ago, verizon said:

You can still get free drinks and mingle in the Retreat bar.  Isn’t it the pool bar that’s off limits?

17 minutes ago, verizon said:

Just booked an S1 Aft on Apex for the Transatlantic.If the design stay the same as Edge,very likely I am going to cancel.

I thought Zenith members were allowed in the Retreat, but not Luminae.

43 minutes ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

Pleaae explain where this is as we did not see it.  TY

You can see it in the link below. When you enter the Retreat Lounge there is a door to the far left of the room. This is the access to the bar and the stairway to the Retreat pool. It is actually located on the Starboard side of the ship. You can see it on the Celebrity website deck plans for the Edge. Sorry I can’t get the deck plan to post.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/celebrity-edge-i-1130/the-retreat-pool-bar-420609/the-retreat-pool-bar--v18655417/

Edited by C-Dragons

4 hours ago, Oville said:

If I recall the screens of S Class were put up after wind issues became apparent. 

We were comped for our dinner Wednesday night.

But didn't they learn for the Lawn Club on the S class ships. Wind shields should  have been a no brainer. Love the Lawn Club but didn't eat at the RTG when I was on in Dec. 

Food flying around is not good.

23 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

You can see it in the link below. When you enter the Retreat Lounge there is a door to the far left of the room. This is the access to the bar and the stairway to the Retreat pool. It is actually located on the Starboard side of the ship. You can see it on the Celebrity website deck plans for the Edge. Sorry I can’t get the deck plan to post.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/celebrity-edge-i-1130/the-retreat-pool-bar-420609/the-retreat-pool-bar--v18655417/

As I look at deck plans, the outside Retreat Bar is close to the Retreat Pool on Deck 16.  The inside Retreat Lounge is on Deck 15. 

26 minutes ago, ecslady said:

But didn't they learn for the Lawn Club on the S class ships. Wind shields should  have been a no brainer. Love the Lawn Club but didn't eat at the RTG when I was on in Dec. 

Food flying around is not good.

Surprisingly they ignored that problem.  Another Edge form over function misstep.

Edited by Oville

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

I'm getting a bit confused with all the "Retreat" areas.    Where is it that they don't have a "Retreat Bar"?   Are there seats around the Retreat Bar on the deck outside the Lounge?   

1 hour ago, verizon said:

There is no standing bar in the Retreat Lounge, but there is excellent bar service and Zeniths are definitely welcome in the Retreat Lounge - they will be served complimentary drinks, can help themselves to the drinks in the coolers 24/7 and enjoy all the food that they put out at various times. I enjoyed drinks in there with someone who was Zenith and in a non-suite. 

Though Zenith don’t have access to the pool deck and bar, the pool bar bar is not free for suite guests. You need to show your sea pass there. Though  most suite guests have a premium package that isn’t true for all cruises and they would have to pay extra for drinks above the package.

Edited by vtcruising

5 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

There is no standing bar in the Retreat Lounge, but there is excellent bar service and Zeniths are definitely welcome in the Retreat Lounge - they will be served complimentary drinks, can help themselves to the drinks in the coolers 24/7 and enjoy all the food that they put out at various times. I enjoyed drinks in there with someone who was Zenith and in a non-suite. 

Though Zenith don’t have access to the pool deck and bar, the pool bar bar is not free for suite guests. You need to show your sea pass there. Though  most suite guests have a premium package that isn’t true for all cruises and they would have to pay extra for drinks above the package.

I knew you’d come through with clarification.  Thanks, Katie

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Marilyn

Well, we made it through Alligator Alley to the east coast, and amazingly it did not rain...We are settled into our hotel and the rain has started. 

Guess I'll make it through the forest too! Will definitely post about my first foray,..worst was the insect room on one of the S ships..but loved the birds,

You are still welcome to share the couch. If Vermont is too cold, you and your husb  are welcome to come down to see us in Fla..We live in a nature preserve., you'd love it!  We'll be here through March..(only one quick trip up to NY for my job) ..Great place for scars to completely heal!

Safe travels..you have paved the way for many  of us EDGIES,   Hope you have many happy journeys to come!

Glad you made it to your hotel - you must be so excited!! I wish I could start the week over but we are both feeling the affects of the rich food, alcohol and late nights. I guess it is time to go home and back into a normal routine. I do appreciate the offer of the couch. The LGB sommelier offered Henry his couch so we would have been all set. :classic_wink:

Your place sounds nice! Would love to see it some day. 

Will be be thinking of you this week! Keep us updated on your adventures!!!😀

For those who got to meet sweet beachbunny (Barbara) she fell in Eden today and split open her head and broke an arm. We were up above when it happened - didn’t see it happen but saw a group gathered around a woman on the floor. I didn’t go down because I could see that the person was breathing and talking and didn’t want to add to the crowd attending to her. Dr Lever and Miguel showed up right away so she was in good hands.

She called me later (and let me know it was her) and Dr Lever did glue and steri strips and put her arm in a splint and sling. We will help her get her scooter in the car tomorrow if she doesn’t get help from X. 

Please watch your your step everyone - she tripped on the base of that uneven Eden stage area. :classic_sad:

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 1