VTcruising Is Living On The Edge Again: The LIVE Saga Continues (1/20/19)

vtcruising

50 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Interestingly, just went by there and found this - it is on one side of what was the GP Cafe. 

F9AE3447-2B48-4BC4-82D2-2CC085333B6C.thumb.jpeg.bb7035742f35234deeb8ecf0403be893.jpeg

I asked a bartender what it was and he said it was a serving station for the bar (bartenders can grab wine, etc without going to the bar).

hmm. Seems makeshift until they figure something else out. Is it just too back-in-the-corner that no one thought to go there or just passed by it? I just think it may have been a little soon for them to shut GP Café down. I mean, they really only gave it a month?

31 minutes ago, CanadianTourist said:

If you can help yourself there ^ then that is where I will be hanging out !

The guy was pretty clear that it was for the bartenders to use - I think he was worried I was going to help myself.😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gw2fll said:

2) Are you aware of anyone that has posted the Dailies for the Eastern Caribbean cruise? I have tried to search, but cannot find anything.

Doug

Billy from Cruisehabit was just on last week and has posted them on his site in the “more” section. I read with great anticipation as we are on the eastern itinerary in March. Getting very excited!

Enjoy!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

hmm. Seems makeshift until they figure something else out. Is it just too back-in-the-corner that no one thought to go there or just passed by it? I just think it may have been a little soon for them to shut GP Café down. I mean, they really only gave it a month?

Possibly a missed opportunity... from the photos it looked like the area across there   could be a used as a wine  bar....by the glass.  There isn't one on the ship..  Now it looks like  it'll just be an exposed service area...

I also think the Bistro could do take out  sammies by the bakery space  at a lower price during the day..Bet it stays  mostly empty at $25; pp for lunch....til the Petit Chef shows!

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, gw2fll said:

Nancy:

Thanks for all your hard work and great information you are providing. 

Had two quick questions I hope you can help with:

1) Do they offer a "Behind the Scenes" tour of the ship like they do on Solstice Class? I see the "Backstage" tour in our cruise planner, but I am looking for the one that goes to the Galley, Engine Room, Bridge, etc. 

2) Are you aware of anyone that has posted the Dailies for the Eastern Caribbean cruise? I have tried to search, but cannot find anything.

We are sailing in an S1 Aft, so the information you shared really helped so we know what to expect vs what we thought from the marketing materials.

Thanks again for your help and assistance. 

Doug

Doug, you and I are on the same 4/7 Edge cruise.  I would not rely to heavily on the most recent Dailies as I think they are a work in progress. Since we would not be interested in a bridge tour I can’t help you out on that topic.

Since the seas calmed in the wee hours of Thursday morning our S1 aft is a delight.  Katie

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Stairway with those lights  not  good for me with my transitional lenses but maybe in Nov it will come in handy!  Thanks for sharing your discovery

How did your husband enjoy thermal suite?  Did you use the gym at all?

Hcat, if you look straight ahead in the forest your lenses should not be an issue.  Katie

8 minutes ago, Oville said:

Hcat, if you look straight ahead in the forest your lenses should not be an issue.  Katie

Thanks.....I love the lenses generally  to see fmdistabxe, computer and reading but not  so good on stairs , glarey spaces ..just need to do .33 steps,!

Enjoy your evening!

vtcruising,

Not sure if I missed it, or maybe you will post upon your return (don't want you to be on the "device" too much while onboard, and, you have been most excellent!).   Info about the cabin crawl, cabins, any pictures?   Pros-Cons?

VT, did you ever find out about the new items in Luminae...everyday specials?  I apologize if you alluded to this earlier.

Thanks so much for all the great information, photos and your own personal narrative about life on Edge.  My DH and I plan to walk the ship from deck to deck on the first sea day, and from aft to bow, starboard to port looking at all the nooks, crannies and staircases.

Hope your last day is filled with all the great places and friends during the final hours of your cruise.  Safe travels to you and your DH...and did you book any new cruises onboard, or did I just miss that too?😎

Edited by Lastdance
Life is good; my glass is half full...

2 hours ago, cluso said:

vtcruising,

Not sure if I missed it, or maybe you will post upon your return (don't want you to be on the "device" too much while onboard, and, you have been most excellent!).   Info about the cabin crawl, cabins, any pictures?   Pros-Cons?

okay, I will post about that later - quite an event!😊

e on the

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

VT, did you ever find out about the new items in Luminae...everyday specials?  I apologize if you alluded to this earlier.

Thanks so much for all the great information, photos and your own personal narrative about life on Edge.  My DH and I plan to walk the ship from deck to deck on the first sea day, and from aft to bow, starboard to port looking at all the nooks, crannies and staircases.

Hope your last day is filled with all the great places and friends during the final hours of your cruise.  Safe travels to you and your DH...and did you book any new cruises onboard, or did I just miss that too?😎

I am going to decide tomorrow on 1-2 future cruises. I am very sad about leaving this ship and will need to book something on  the Edge, I think. Just love this ship, its staff and the vibe. Denisa and hcat both have said I could stay on their couches next week. I am truly  heartbroken to leave. I am having so much fun!!

The everyday specials in Luminae are onion soup, escargot, Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, chicken, salmon and steak.

I will envy you in April!!

7 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

e on the

I am going to decide tomorrow on 1-2 future cruises. I am very sad about leaving this ship and will need to book something on  the Edge, I think. Just love this ship, its staff and the vibe. Denisa and hcat both have said I could stay on their couches next week. I am truly  heartbroken to leave. I am having so much fun!!

The everyday specials in Luminae are onion soup, escargot, Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, chicken, salmon and steak.

I will envy you in April!!

You should have booked today, since it will be very crowded in Future Cruises tomorrow.  

Okay, I got the Luminae bathroom scoop tonight and then had the most fun ever. We had the best dinner in Luminae with friends and laughed so much my sides hurt. Dusan is a wonderful waiter and so much fun!

Back to the bathroom - so, there is a bathroom and I saw the door (in a hallway about a quarter of the way back on right), The door does not lock now, but I guess we can use it if we don't mind having someone barge in. So, the story goes like this - on one of the first cruises, a woman got locked in the bathroom and didn't get out for 40 minutes (this a bathroom with an automatic door)! They had to have an electrician disable the electrical part of the door mechanism and had to tear the frame apart to get her out! They have decided not to use it since that time. Can you imagine being trapped in a bathroom for 40 minutes? With my claustrophobia, I can only imagine ... I am happy to go upstairs! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Thanks.....I love the lenses generally  to see fmdistabxe, computer and reading but not  so good on stairs , glarey spaces ..just need to do .33 steps,!

Enjoy your evening!

33 wonderful steps!! Embrace the forest, hcat!! 😉

Marilyn - once again my delightful bedtime reading as the day of my Edge adventure comes ever nearer (Feb.10).  Many thanks!  When you have returned home (I know, sniff...) would you please check your notes and see if you have anything clear that shows where muster station C 01 is located.

I am always a bit nervous about getting out of Dayton OH when the winter has been really bad.  Not good connections.   Out first truly difficult winter in at least 5 or 6 years.  Nine degrees below zero last week, and then lots of rain followed immediately by 5 inches of snow.  No way to prevent over an inch of ice forming on our rather steep driveway.  But an latenight visit to CC boards and your engaging posts have helped a lot!  This sailing is the Eastern and thanks to your report I am thinking of doing the equivalent chefs tour on St Martin, if still offered.

as for tonight - lifting a celebratory Titos martini (or two). in your honor🍸🍸  

9 hours ago, hcat said:

We have our rain gear and  dinner clothes in our carry on, all wrapped in plastic.  Even though BLU is never fussy ( but no shorts for dinner)  , we change for first night's  dinner, and on EDGE, we understand there is a Cap Club event in EDEN on the boarding night,  Our Sailaway has also been moved there as well.

Still looking forward to a great cruise...

See you Sunday...it is not bad to get from garage to Terminal 25.  When you drop your luggage, it is under cover.  It will be extremely rainy...making the abiliity to explore inside Edge all the better.

Marilyn, your reviews are just incredible.  

Our VT family lands in FLL tomorrow so it’s a day in advance of sailing.  Flights may be back to normal tomorrow and more so on Sunday.

thanks!

Rich

Edited by cruiz10525
Spelling

On 1/21/2019 at 9:29 PM, cruiz10525 said:

Could you please check to see if Angela was on the Summit a year ago?  She was terrific there in Luminae and said she was going to Edge.  I sure hope so, and would look forward to seeing her next week.

Rich

Angela says she was on Solstice a year ago, not Summit.  She wanted to know your last name to refresh her memory if that was the right ship.  If you don't want to post it publicly here [I wouldn't], send me an email at HostJazzbeau@CruiseCritic.com

5 hours ago, hcat said:

Possibly a missed opportunity... from the photos it looked like the area across there   could be a used as a wine  bar....by the glass.  There isn't one on the ship..  Now it looks like  it'll just be an exposed service area...

I also think the Bistro could do take out  sammies by the bakery space  at a lower price during the day..Bet it stays  mostly empty at $25; pp for lunch....til the Petit Chef shows!

I agree, I would have checked out any type of grab and go spot. but I think it’s only $20pp per lunch at le grand bistro. Planning to try it because there’s 3-4 things alone on that menu I want! Lol.

16 hours ago, Oville said:

Staying on board today was a great decision.  We had a drink on the MC then lunch outside Eden Cafe.  MC is a wonderful outdoor bar weather permitting and EC is great.

58326D31-872A-4C55-A5F6-72CECEF96EBC.jpeg

This looks like the area beneath our cabin. Am beginning to think that the cabin was a good choice after all. As long as that music is low it should be quiet and we get to see the sea through the glass from above :-)

Apologies for not multi quoting you with the post after this one, but I had 6 attempts which failed miserably so gave up! Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Edited by Presto2

23 hours ago, vtcruising said:

1232603972_starboardaft12234x.thumb.jpg.6b9448f3e98647349b105cc24222c316.jpg

Thanks for this fab photograph. It is the best one we've seen of the area where our cabin is. We are deck 8, 6th cabin in by the solid 'wall'. I think that this photo may end up as our screen saver. Looking at the other photos that area below looks quite nice actually so I think I will allow hubby to put his wire cutters away in his tool box ;-) Enjoy what's left of your cruise

Edited by Presto2

7 hours ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

I agree, I would have checked out any type of grab and go spot. but I think it’s only $20pp per lunch at le grand bistro. Planning to try it because there’s 3-4 things alone on that menu I want! Lol.

We will go for lunch once or twice...we were regulars at B on 5...hated to see it go, but the upcharge and location made it less popular.  I think it became sushi on 5.

I was thinking about the lamb, but my dh made the best  thick chops last night, perfectly cooked,,.,nothing could compare.  I may pick something else. I am lucky he is a great chef !  Usually, I order  alot of fish on cruises..diff kinds we don't get in NY or Fla,...at least at a decent price.

8 hours ago, vtcruising said:

33 wonderful steps!! Embrace the forest, hcat!! 😉

Do they make noise or are they silent? I will embrace tgem...hope not bump into them

The couch is yours ...maybe they'll make you an offer to stay on in your suite..You have done more for X re EDGE than any of their ads!