VTcruising Is Living On The Edge Again: The LIVE Saga Continues (1/20/19)

vtcruising

57 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We have been very happy with all of the entertainment on Edge this week.  Lots of options and all very good.  The violinist from Iceland was amazing.  Actually the theatre is way beyond my initial expectations.

Will the entertainment be the same next week..esp the violinist..Was  the instrument electrified ( pet peeve)?  Where does the violinist perform?

How is the volume in the theater,..best seats/least loud? We have 2 shows noted that looked good for us..Ashley Amber and one of the aerialist shows...Anything else really good...?  Taste runs to the  shows we can understand.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

We are in a CS.  The tub has a half glass panel on a hinge that swings out.  Yes it leaks.

1 hour ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

Thanks TeeRick, sounds like the same one. A leaker and a splasher.  Used lots of towels

😍😍

Same for us on the December cruises. 

On 1/21/2019 at 5:23 PM, vtcruising said:

Okay, CC was down again just when I could post - off to the Reckless Charms soon, but will throw out a few things....

1) Deeva - I gave our butler a copy of what you said about Arturo and the returned jewelry, etc. It had your email on it. She will give it to his supervisor so that he gets recognition and maybe someone will email you. She thought it was very sweet of you to try to reach out to Arturo. 🙂

2) Rich - my butler will try to make sure that you have loungers on 10142 and 10150 when you arrive on Sunday. 🙂

3) 11215 is connected by a door, not an alcove.

More later..

Thank you.  Enjoy your cruise!!!

So glad Celebrity has made some changes and things are good on the Edge!  Quick question:

We are currently booked in cabin 11215, which is a connecting cabin and I think has the bed by the balcony.  Cabin 12234 is available and is not connecting and am thinking might have the bed by the bath??  We prefer bed by the bath.  My only concern with 12234 is noise from the Oceanview.  Any thoughts?  Greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Laura

On 1/23/2019 at 4:35 PM, vtcruising said:

Here are some pictures from Maya Chan - we will do the Western Carib again just to do this again. We will be talking about this day for a long time.... 🙂

The owner greeted us and said we have everything but snow here. We liked the sound of that! They have 2 dogs are who are part of the family - they were very cute. What a life!

image.thumb.png.de76ff64c74bbbcbc080f6b0e3858a81.png

image.thumb.png.098d23f3553275f981fe2a970fa2d06c.png

Each group gets a shaded area with reclining seats and a padded lounger, tables and a hammock.

image.thumb.png.b8f65feca477a076f46131b8ccb33215.png

enhance

image.thumb.png.e1a322b43ebf7022980e65686c033813.png

They have a full bar (all included) and we had people coming around constantly to see if we wanted more drinks (and they were good - the tequila is from a local producer). They brought us guac, salsa and chips and kept refreshing them until lunch. It was all freshly made - it was delicious.

enhance

image.thumb.png.860445d5c57a294509d087bc932ba1c0.png

They came and got us for our massages - so cool to hear the waves while having a wonderful massage! What a relaxing treat!

Lunch was also included. They grilled chicken, beef, pork and sea bass (all marinated deliciously) and had all of those with tacos (white and corn) and all the fixings. The fish had a garlic butter sauce and was so good and the pulled pork was the best I've ever had. Anyway, it was all very fresh and flavorful food.

image.thumb.png.66e0b55eae857cfc853c1f917e4d70e5.png

image.thumb.png.309733c0e72f7ff88ea18b6f8102f8d2.png

After lunch we all took naps (and I mean 3/4 of the people looked to be napping). Some people went out on rafts or kayaks. Others read in the 85 degree sun (and the drinks kept coming, if desired). Life was very good at Maya Chan!

image.png.80b17be3d8a3512c3d9ac4ba534d5c33.png

image.png.cbd476e770edf2733c8df9d49b104598.png

The owners' son helped us into the van back to the ship and thanked us for coming. What a day!!😎

VT, this Maya Chan looks fabulous. I’m drooling over the fresh chips and salsa. Question, does everyone come and go in one group, in one bus. If so, what time do you arrive and how long is the stay at the site?  Can you come or go at your leisure?    

Their website says it is a 20 -30 minute drive. That’s seems long since website says it is only 4.3 miles away. 

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

VT, this Maya Chan looks fabulous. I’m drooling over the fresh chips and salsa. Question, does everyone come and go in one group, in one bus. If so, what time do you arrive and how long is the stay at the site?  Can you come or go at your leisure?    

Their website says it is a 20 -30 minute drive. That’s seems long since website says it is only 4.3 miles away. 

Thank you.

There were taxis coming and going. For the Edge we were told to show up at 830-930. There were 6 in our van. The roads are bumpy - sand roads along the beach with pot holes so they go slow. It took us about 20 minutes. If road is worse it must take longer. The taxis started taking people back every 1/2 hour at 130 (you could choose). We left at 2:30- last taxi at 3:30 - ship wanted us back at 430. It was very well done.

5 hours ago, Ugaaucruisers said:

So glad Celebrity has made some changes and things are good on the Edge!  Quick question:

We are currently booked in cabin 11215, which is a connecting cabin and I think has the bed by the balcony.  Cabin 12234 is available and is not connecting and am thinking might have the bed by the bath??  We prefer bed by the bath.  My only concern with 12234 is noise from the Oceanview.  Any thoughts?  Greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Laura

I’ll check it out in the AM- busy day! Time for bed. 😀

10 hours ago, hcat said:

Oh ..thank you ..my graduated lenses will not do well there,  so now I can count.

My birthday bauble arrived...love love love it!

If either you or Vt can check what brand handbags are for sale besides M Kors, I'd appreciate it. 

Enjoy enjoy enjoy!

Bought a Coach tote earlier.  Did not see Michael Kors but Marc Jacobs and London.  Hope this helps.  K

7 hours ago, hcat said:

Will the entertainment be the same next week..esp the violinist..Was  the instrument electrified ( pet peeve)?  Where does the violinist perform?

How is the volume in the theater,..best seats/least loud? We have 2 shows noted that looked good for us..Ashley Amber and one of the aerialist shows...Anything else really good...?  Taste runs to the  shows we can understand.

Confirming that the Icelandic violinist was terrific.  The instrument was electrified [pretty much mandatory in a dead acoustic like this, and up against a loud backing band + backing tracks], but very mellow and not a problem [she wasn't playing classical repertoire, unless you count 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia' :classic_wink:].

But no idea whether she will be back for your cruise.  She was introduced as the 'first Icelandic musician to perform on Edge,' and she told us that she had to postpone a ski trip in Iceland for this 'last minute' booking, and that she was flying back the next day to go skiing.  But after the standing ovation, I expect that Celebrity will try to book her again as soon as possible.

We always sat in the deck 5 balcony, and volume was fine.  Never wanted to go back to the cabin for my ear plugs [or to Café René for cheese cubes, if you remember 'Allo, 'Allo 😀]  The only problem was understanding the lyrics because the songs were all defiantly post-Baby Boomer.  When Ashley-Amber ['with a hyphen,' as Barbra Streisand famously said in 'What's Up Doc?'] spoke into the mic, she was perfectly clear – but when she sang we couldn't understand a word.  She is an 'American Idol' screecher, not a singer [IMHO].

I also noted that she stressed three times that this show was designed 'by Celebrity' – clearly distancing herself from the choice of songs.  On other Celebrity ships she does a Whitney Houston tribute show, which would have been much preferable to me.  This show was a continuation of the 'beyond borders' soft political message that Celebrity has been pushing [IM - not so humble - O].

The singers, dancers and aerialists in Kaleidoscope were all terrific.  The problem was the complete lack of plot.  And one major violation of the rules for constructing a speech or show:  when you say 'finally,'  you MUST end.  The second-to-last song was 'Kaleidoscope' – that should have been the finale.

We love 'Reckless Charms,' the all-women blues band that plays a lot of songs you know in ways you didn't expect.  They are all over the ship every day.

Missed the comedian tonight because we had done the Chef's Market Discoveries shore excursion that included a private dinner from 6:15 until after the late show was well under way.  That I can highly recommend!

How have the activities been? Are they centered around trying to get you to spend money onboard or just regular activities? Also are there plenty to keep one busy if they wanted? We aren’t expecting Royal or Disney level, just like to do some shipboard stuff to break up the day. Reading some reviews it hasn’t been all that positive about the activities, but it’s hard to tell if they are painting a fair picture or if the people just expected too much going in. 

VT and Oville your reviews and comments have been awesome, so can’t wait to see the ship for myself. 

29 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

How have the activities been? Are they centered around trying to get you to spend money onboard or just regular activities? Also are there plenty to keep one busy if they wanted? We aren’t expecting Royal or Disney level, just like to do some shipboard stuff to break up the day. Reading some reviews it hasn’t been all that positive about the activities, but it’s hard to tell if they are painting a fair picture or if the people just expected too much going in. 

VT and Oville your reviews and comments have been awesome, so can’t wait to see the ship for myself. 

I can’t help you with the daytime activities as we do not participate.  We did enjoy lunch in the Eden Cafe on our first sea day where the Reckless Charns performed.  There  have been some trivia games I think which do not require a smartphone and I’m sure other events. The solarium is very nice and relaxing, think nap.

Again tonight we enjoyed the Reckless Charms pre-dinner and the Dos  Duo post.

Sorry I can’t be more help with things to do during the day.  Katie

Edited by Oville

7 minutes ago, Oville said:

I can’t help you with the daytime activities as we do not participate.  We did enjoy lunch in the Eden Cafe on our first sea day where the Reckless Charns performed.  There  have been some trivia games I think which do not require a smartphone and I’m sure other events.

Again tonight we enjoyed the Reckless Charms pre-dinner and the Dos  Duo post.

Sorry I can’t be more help with things to do during the day.  Katie

No worries, the Reckless charms are on our list of must sees:) along with the RTG singer VT mentioned. 

7 hours ago, vtcruising said:

There were taxis coming and going. For the Edge we were told to show up at 830-930. There were 6 in our van. The roads are bumpy - sand roads along the beach with pot holes so they go slow. It took us about 20 minutes. If road is worse it must take longer. The taxis started taking people back every 1/2 hour at 130 (you could choose). We left at 2:30- last taxi at 3:30 - ship wanted us back at 430. It was very well done.

Thank you. This flexible return to ship is what we like. Considering for our Feb 2019 cruise. 😍😍

8 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I’ll check it out in the AM- busy day! Time for bed. 😀

14 hours ago, Ugaaucruisers said:

Thanks.

Laura

Hi Laura:

Back after a good night's sleep! 🙂

So, I looked at the two spaces and you do have a bed by the balcony and a connecting room, but are on a bump out (which we were on when in an IV and I think it makes the view a little nicer, IMO) and between two decks of cabins, so likely quieter. The one on 12 is right under tables in the OVC so you will likely hear some chairs scraping at times (although that part may be carpeted so may not be an issue - I will try to go up there today and see). The bed is by the bath in that one, but the big thing is that 12 in that area has a huge overhang and some support poles every 2 cabins - I have a picture and your cabin is cut off (next cabin, but the red arrow points to 12236 next door), but the pole is likely to one side. I'm wondering if you would have less sun there, but maybe that is not important to you. You would see down to the outside dining in Blu area (they aren't using it anymore, so I've heard), whereas with 11, you will see lifeboats (we had that and didn't mind at all).

2102344031_portmidtoaft11215x.thumb.jpg.b93d30505a1c8c27f3594557ecfb7015.jpg

1232603972_starboardaft12234x.thumb.jpg.6b9448f3e98647349b105cc24222c316.jpg

So there are some definite pluses and minuses for each - you should think about what is most important to you to make a decision. 🙂

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Confirming that the Icelandic violinist was terrific.  The instrument was electrified [pretty much mandatory in a dead acoustic like this, and up against a loud backing band + backing tracks], but very mellow and not a problem [she wasn't playing classical repertoire, unless you count 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia' :classic_wink:].

But no idea whether she will be back for your cruise.  She was introduced as the 'first Icelandic musician to perform on Edge,' and she told us that she had to postpone a ski trip in Iceland for this 'last minute' booking, and that she was flying back the next day to go skiing.  But after the standing ovation, I expect that Celebrity will try to book her again as soon as possible.

We always sat in the deck 5 balcony, and volume was fine.  Never wanted to go back to the cabin for my ear plugs [or to Café René for cheese cubes, if you remember 'Allo, 'Allo 😀]  The only problem was understanding the lyrics because the songs were all defiantly post-Baby Boomer.  When Ashley-Amber ['with a hyphen,' as Barbra Streisand famously said in 'What's Up Doc?'] spoke into the mic, she was perfectly clear – but when she sang we couldn't understand a word.  She is an 'American Idol' screecher, not a singer [IMHO].

I also noted that she stressed three times that this show was designed 'by Celebrity' – clearly distancing herself from the choice of songs.  On other Celebrity ships she does a Whitney Houston tribute show, which would have been much preferable to me.  This show was a continuation of the 'beyond borders' soft political message that Celebrity has been pushing [IM - not so humble - O].

The singers, dancers and aerialists in Kaleidoscope were all terrific.  The problem was the complete lack of plot.  And one major violation of the rules for constructing a speech or show:  when you say 'finally,'  you MUST end.  The second-to-last song was 'Kaleidoscope' – that should have been the finale.

We love 'Reckless Charms,' the all-women blues band that plays a lot of songs you know in ways you didn't expect.  They are all over the ship every day.

Missed the comedian tonight because we had done the Chef's Market Discoveries shore excursion that included a private dinner from 6:15 until after the late show was well under way.  That I can highly recommend!

The comedian was Billy Garan and he was very funny.  Old type comedian who does not lace his show with profanity at all.  Just funny.  I agree with Jazz’s other comments on the entertainment.  Last night in the theatre the activity manager did start us off before the show demonstrating the online trivia app and we played a few rounds as an audience.  I enjoyed it but maybe not for everybody.

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for  all the details..I am packing my earplugs!

We were hoping for the Whitney Houston tribute..no screeching allowed for humans or violins!

Kaleidescope is the aerial show we want to see..probably easier than trying to follow some of the wierd non plots of the shows!

Agree about the  recent messaging....we  try to ignore it!

ENJOY the next few days...looks like a soggy departure day...unless the rain starts later on !

14 hours ago, hcat said:

Hcat please see Jazz’s comments. We have enjoyed sitting at the tables down beside the stage.  Comedian Billy Garan was good.  We did sit through the Eden show one night.  Probably once is enough but glad we saw it.  Not too loud and it seemed that most in there enjoyed it.  But just kind of weird.  I have not seen Edenists outside of Eden at all.  The rock band in the Club last night was very good but yes very loud.  We dined one night in Fine Cut and a band was playing two levels down in the plaza.  They sat us at a table by the rail.  We asked to be moved.  Couldn’t have a dinner conversation!

9 hours ago, Oville said:

Bought a Coach tote earlier.  Did not see Michael Kors but Marc Jacobs and London.  Hope this helps.  K

Enjoy  your new bag..a fav brand! 

I saw a nice handbag displayed in  the store window in early  pics of the ship but am sure it has been rotated or sold.  

I' m sure something will catch my eye!

34 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Hi Laura:

Back after a good night's sleep! 🙂

So, I looked at the two spaces and you do have a bed by the balcony and a connecting room, but are on a bump out (which we were on when in an IV and I think it makes the view a little nicer, IMO) and between two decks of cabins, so likely quieter. The one on 12 is right under tables in the OVC so you will likely hear some chairs scraping at times (although that part may be carpeted so may not be an issue - I will try to go up there today and see). The bed is by the bath in that one, but the big thing is that 12 in that area has a huge overhang and some support poles every 2 cabins - I have a picture and your cabin is cut off (next cabin, but the red arrow points to 12236 next door), but the pole is likely to one side. I'm wondering if you would have less sun there, but maybe that is not important to you. You would see down to the outside dining in Blu area (they aren't using it anymore, so I've heard), whereas with 11, you will see lifeboats (we had that and didn't mind at all).

2102344031_portmidtoaft11215x.thumb.jpg.b93d30505a1c8c27f3594557ecfb7015.jpg

1232603972_starboardaft12234x.thumb.jpg.6b9448f3e98647349b105cc24222c316.jpg

So there are some definite pluses and minuses for each - you should think about what is most important to you to make a decision. 🙂

Thanks so much.  Yes, will need to weigh the pros and cons.  We indeed booked 11215 because of the bump out and being able to have a good view.  Booked this cabin back in 2017.  We were on a Celebrity cruise when the Edge was introduced and you could book cabins.  Had originally booked back to back and 11215 was one of the only cabins available for both weeks in a pretty good spot on the ship.  Thanks again.  Keep enjoying your cruise!

Laura

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Hcat please see Jazz’s comments. We have enjoyed sitting at the tables down beside the stage.  Comedian Billy Garan was good.  We did sit through the Eden show one night.  Probably once is enough but glad we saw it.  Not too loud and it seemed that most in there enjoyed it.  But just kind of weird.  I have not seen Edenists outside of Eden at all.  The rock band in the Club last night was very good but yes very loud.  We dined one night in Fine Cut and a band was playing two levels down in the plaza.  They sat us at a table by the rail.  We asked to be moved.  Couldn’t have a dinner conversation!

Thanks..appreciate the guidance.

In Finecut we will try for a quiet spot..They need to close off these restaurants from the Plaza..

We will try one EDEN show for as long as we can endure....guess it's an EDGE must do! Been married so long that we just give each other " the look" that says 

" ready? "   Then  out we go...quietly of course!

As fir  the trivia demo, I believe they want to interest  passengers in online trivia because they believe  it will eventually be a  big revenue item. !

As far as activities, I have been pleasantly surprised. I think they have been adding more things that are complimentary (I've perused earlier dailies). Yesterday when I went to Eden around 3:30 after a lovely nap 😊 and walked by an origami class that looked like fun. They were holding it in the peaceful "Road to Eden" (hallway leading to Eden).

image.thumb.png.5412873c18c04e79521777b41ea3614c.png

On Eden 5 they were playing Table Maze - it really looked like fun and if they offer it again, I will try to go. It looked like groups of people around the tables in the area near the bar were solving puzzles in order to get through a maze (they had placed a special wooden board with pictures, symbols, etc. on it on top of the tables). There were several people playing and they had a certain amount of time to solve the puzzles. The winners received a bottle of champagne (or probably sparkling wine).

image.thumb.png.eddb08bcef277ee1b54c13a554580ae9.png

After this they set up for the Restless Charms and they had a great set that went into the Captain's Club Officer's party. That was packed and we were happy to have gotten good seats. There were about 12-15 officers there, including the Captain, of course. They came around with several types of yummy hors d'oeuvres and drink service was excellent, despite a gazillion people there. Oh, by the way, the drinks are unlimited during the Elite CC Cocktail Hour 5-7 (from menu), not just 3 drinks. Eden 5 has been the go to place for people to meet for CC. 

image.thumb.png.61f8450938eef3a414d9c7ed32cd98a1.png

image.thumb.png.54790336675dfe2cadaf116ffeb2d459.png

image.thumb.png.e5b82f9fa186fb83b4346818c2a60923.png

What a wonderful venue! Watching sailaway there is as good or better than the Sky Lounge - it may be that I am partial to aft views over forward views, but after doing sailaways from the forward Retreat area and Eden, I would take Eden any day. This picture doesn't do it justice, but it was breathtaking.

image.png.2085582514d82c6a6e204a5bcc7faea2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We loved the comedian last night as well. They had him at 7 and 9 and then did the Kaleidoscope show at 10, which we had no interest in, so that worked well for us (though unlike Jazz, I left the Chef's Market dinner a little early to make it to the show - more on that later 🙂).