P&O 13th out of 20 in Which? survey 'not great value - no wow factor' - fair?

Harry Peterson

"By far the most sailed-on cruise line from this year's survey, P&O Cruises' mediocre three stars in most categories should make customers question their decades-long loyalty to this brand."

"Not great value, no wow factor"

Which's overall conclusion, based on an independent customer survey.

A fair conclusion?  Has P&O lost its edge, or have the customers responding to this survey got it wrong?

Presumably most of the people in the survey will have sailed on the larger ships in P&O's fleet (Britannia, Venture and Azura), and I wonder whether those travelling on the smaller ships would have enjoyed their cruises more.

As a matter of interest, which cruise line came out top?

I get quite defensive for P&O as we always seem to have fantastic holidays that suit us.

We like to relax in nice surroundings, eat well but not too fancy, enjoy great service, be entertained well and visit interesting places at a reasonable cost. P&O usually tick all those boxes in our opinion.

When people compare to other lines, you have to take all the above into consideration.

If you are expecting silver service or theme park type facilities, then pay the higher price with other lines.

Whenever I read a bad review, it often starts with 'on Indy' or 'on QE'...

Comparison and preconception seem to be the biggest issues.

P&O suits us fine, so we will hopefully continue to have fantastic holidays with them.

Andy

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

Presumably most of the people in the survey will have sailed on the larger ships in P&O's fleet (Britannia, Venture and Azura), and I wonder whether those travelling on the smaller ships would have enjoyed their cruises more.

As a matter of interest, which cruise line came out top?

Viking was top, at 88%.  Saga next at 87%.  Cunard was 8th at 79%, Fred Olsen and Celebrity joint 10th at 74%.  MSC came last at just 54%.

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I get quite defensive for P&O as we always seem to have fantastic holidays that suit us.

We like to relax in nice surroundings, eat well but not too fancy, enjoy great service, be entertained well and visit interesting places at a reasonable cost. P&O usually tick all those boxes in our opinion.

When people compare to other lines, you have to take all the above into consideration.

If you are expecting silver service or theme park type facilities, then pay the higher price with other lines.

P&O suits us fine, so we will hopefully continue to have fantastic holidays with them.

Andy

I feel exactly the same.  I like the smaller ships, Aurora and Arcadia etc.  I think the ships are very nice indeed, comfortable, perfect for us.  Food is pretty good and quite honestly 19 nights for £1350 each for an inside is marvellous value.  Also, if you look at the list, Viking followed by Saga are twice the price of P&O

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

With a long P&O history behind us it is usually the cruise line of choice, we are aware of the shortcomings and also the things about them we like.

Our last cruise was on Marella Destiny (TUI) at Xmas. Having recent experience of TUI we didn't travel with high expectations. But what we found surprised us, a ship in really good condition throughout, the cabin was spacious and they now include tea making as standard. A constant supply of live entertainment, not overladen with quizzes. The food was good, not quite to the level we would expect on P&O, having said that it was as good as we have had on some P&O trips. 

If this is the standard they are aspiring to on all of their ships I feel they are going to be a serious competitor, particularly with the wide variation of itineraries and fly cruises. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Somerset Cruiser said:

With a long P&O history behind us it is usually the cruise line of choice, we are aware of the shortcomings and also the things about them we like.

Our last cruise was on Marella Destiny (TUI) at Xmas. Having recent experience of TUI we didn't travel with high expectations. But what we found surprised us, a ship in really good condition throughout, the cabin was spacious and they now include tea making as standard. A constant supply of live entertainment, not overladen with quizzes. The food was good, not quite to the level we would expect on P&O, having said that it was as good as we have had on some P&O trips. 

If this is the standard they are aspiring to on all of their ships I feel they are going to be a serious competitor, particularly with the wide variation of itineraries and fly cruises. 

You may well be right - Marella was 14th at 71%.  Just one place and 1% behind P&O.    

I always thought that P&O was streets ahead of Tui/Marella, but looks like I was wrong.

Hi docco.....I think most people think that P&O is way above Tui/Marella but we cruised with them last September and we were very very pleasantly surprised. The one thing that Marella does far better than P&O....in my opinion....are the shows....the shows are more professional and really enjoyable unlike the Headliners which we now avoid.

The overall ambience of Marella feels a lot more relaxed but  in the evenings really comes alive. I think P&O offer a good reliable product but for us comes across as slightly " beige" if you understand my meaning.

Marella use older ships so they are not as " swish" as many of the cruise lines but certainly wouldn't hesitate to cruise with them again....at the right price 

• Like 1

Firstly, this was on a sample-size of 2500 pax.  More people travel on one cruise on the majority of ships these days, so not sure what we can accurately deduce from this. Secondly, if P&O were by far the most travelled-on cruise line in this survey, how many respondents were from the other lines?  Thirdly, as with all surveys, all our opinions are very subjective.  I sailed on Marella Discovery 2 this time last year.  I thought both food and entertainment were really awful but others on the same cruise were raving about both...

It is not surprising that more people were satisfied with their experience on cruises costing (on average) between £221 & £594 per person per night.

Three of the most popular cruise lines (NCL, Royal Caribbean & Princess) were in the bottom 5!

Surveys, statistics and Polls - probably best not to trust any of them :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy

Have to say we take the same view as you and we also find that P&O suites us just fine. :classic_smile:

15 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Firstly, this was on a sample-size of 2500 pax.  More people travel on one cruise on the majority of ships these days, so not sure what we can accurately deduce from this. Secondly, if P&O were by far the most travelled-on cruise line in this survey, how many respondents were from the other lines?  Thirdly, as with all surveys, all our opinions are very subjective.  I sailed on Marella Discovery 2 this time last year.  I thought both food and entertainment were really awful but others on the same cruise were raving about both...

It is not surprising that more people were satisfied with their experience on cruises costing (on average) between £221 & £594 per person per night.

Three of the most popular cruise lines (NCL, Royal Caribbean & Princess) were in the bottom 5!

Surveys, statistics and Polls - probably best not to trust any of them :classic_biggrin:

How very true :classic_smile:

Our first cruise was Thompsons(now Marella) Island Escape.......We enjoyed.

Next 5 were P&O sailing round trip from Southampton, last one was Oriana 18 Nights including 2 full day's in Venice all for £1199 each inside cabin (late saver)     Have enjoyed them all.     P&O tick's all the boxes.    Not likely to try the "Biggies".

Next one is Marella Explorer, one of their "new" old one's.     Fly cruise Caribbean. 

Last couple of hol's were also flying, to Canaries.

Back to P&O after that though, will have had enough of flying; and they are just right for us.(apart from the Headliners)

Will have to think of better ways to get to Southampton, driving is getting to be a chore from Sunderland.

25 minutes ago, oxygenbanditnot said:

Our first cruise was Thompsons(now Marella) Island Escape.......We enjoyed.

Next 5 were P&O sailing round trip from Southampton, last one was Oriana 18 Nights including 2 full day's in Venice all for £1199 each inside cabin (late saver)     Have enjoyed them all.     P&O tick's all the boxes.    Not likely to try the "Biggies".

Next one is Marella Explorer, one of their "new" old one's.     Fly cruise Caribbean. 

Last couple of hol's were also flying, to Canaries.

Back to P&O after that though, will have had enough of flying; and they are just right for us.(apart from the Headliners)

Will have to think of better ways to get to Southampton, driving is getting to be a chore from Sunderland.

Have you considered the train? I traveled first class from Newcastle last year for only £95 each way. No hassle with motorways or parking when you get there, and the station at Southampton is within walking distance (or a 5 minute taxi tide) of the terminal. If you choose the train carefully there is a direct service, but be careful as many route you through London with several changes (I wouldn’t have enjoyed that!). I also used the services of The Baggage Handling Company which meant that my holiday started when I left home and my cases were waiting outside my cabin when I boarded.

Les.

5 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy

I would agree that unless the price is about the same then the comparison is never really fair.

We enjoy cruising on P&O and it is a relatively cheap line to travel on with a good all round package.

There are other lines that offer a different package with bits that in all honesty are better, but also much more expensive. We used to enjoy Grill on Cunard but booking a good cabin on P&O and then doing select dining can be just as enjoyable and costs much less.

We do enjoy a trip on RCI for the ice shows, ice bars and razzamatazz but not all the time. P & O entertainment is more stayed but perfectly acceptable.

Marella and Fred suit us for the odd holiday as they sail from the Newcastle / Fife and also offer flights from Scotland. P&O don’t really cater much for pax from Northern England / Scotland - they might sell more cruises at full price if they did.

Surveys  are all very well however any cruise you are on is a good one in my humble opinion.

17 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

Have you considered the train? I traveled first class from Newcastle last year for only £95 each way. No hassle with motorways or parking when you get there, and the station at Southampton is within walking distance (or a 5 minute taxi tide) of the terminal. If you choose the train carefully there is a direct service, but be careful as many route you through London with several changes (I wouldn’t have enjoyed that!). I also used the services of The Baggage Handling Company which meant that my holiday started when I left home and my cases were waiting outside my cabin when I boarded.

Les.

I'd love to use the train to cut out the parking costs - just too concerned that something might go wrong on the way causing us to miss the ship, though, so we always stay overnight to allow that extra margin.

Adds a lot to the cost though.

Oxygenbanditnot - There are flights from Newcastle to Southampton. The train station is just outside the airport and there are frequent services for the short journey into Southampton Central.  It is Flybe.....  future perhaps uncertain though the summer flights are being sold as though nothing has changed since it was sold.  Not sure how convenient that would be for you - or how it would compare for convenience and cost - guess luggage would be an extra too.

Edited by kruzseeka

9 minutes ago, docco said:

Am I the only one that really likes the Headliners?  🙂

Probably. The shows are OK the first time, but by the third (or more) time you don’t want to see it again😀.

Thats why the Limelightb will be popular as it offers something just a bit different.

18 minutes ago, oxygenbanditnot said:

Thank's Les, was wondering about baggage....is it good & not expensive.

Have travelled to Sunderland from Southampton direct by train way back in 7.6, no prob's

The service was excellent. They pick up from your home, and then collect it from you when you disembark and deliver it back to you home, all at an agreed date and time. As for cost if I remember correctly it was about £72 for my case which I considered very good value for money for the service they gave.

Les.

16 minutes ago, docco said:

I'd love to use the train to cut out the parking costs - just too concerned that something might go wrong on the way causing us to miss the ship, though, so we always stay overnight to allow that extra margin.

Adds a lot to the cost though.

You always run the risk no matter which form of transport you choose, trains delayed, traffic jams etc. I travelled the day before too, mainly as I had a long journey from Newcastle, and kept the costs down by staying in the Premier Inn. Basic but did the job.

Les.